gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:45:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Out In The Country  (Read 2856 times)
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2007, 09:48:40 AM »

Question about this song.  I've heard that it was an outtake from the Holland period (72'-73').  However,  on the version I have, it sounds like it was recorded much later (in the 90's).  The first verse is Al, but the second verse sounds like Matt Jardine.  Are there two different recordings or is that not Matt on the second verse; perhaps Al doing a different voice.  Regardless, it's a great track. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 09:59:01 AM »

Andrew Doe's website (unreleased songs page: http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/vaults.html) lists it as recorded summer 1972. I've never thought I heard Matt Jardine anywhere in there, although I did think the first vocal line was Mike using his not-nasal voice.

Anyway, unless they tried another stab at it a few decades later and I never heard of it, it's Holland-era. The singer (Al) is just changing octaves.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »

I'm pretty sure its Al and Bruce.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 06:12:23 PM »

It sort of sounds like Bruce on the second verse, but to me it sounds more like Al doing a "softer" octave .  If it was Bruce then it must have been one of Bruce's last recording sessions before he quit.  I thought he quit right after Surf's Up was in the can. 

I brought this up because a version is found on the 'Landylocked' disk yet it is the only track not recorded from the 90's or 80's. This is why I though it might have been re-recorded during the 90's [but with Matt doing a verse].  But, Brian's falsetto voice in the BG vox are his old [pre-75] quality.

Cheers
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 11:45:35 PM »

I'm told that "OITC" was recorded in Baambrugge: if this is true, then of course Bruce cannot possibly be on it.  Cool

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 11:49:46 PM »

It sort of sounds like Bruce on the second verse, but to me it sounds more like Al doing a "softer" octave .  If it was Bruce then it must have been one of Bruce's last recording sessions before he quit.  I thought he quit right after Surf's Up was in the can. 

Bruce quit in April 1972 after the CATP sessions (to which he contributed, by his own account, very little): his last show was 4/2/72 in Florida.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 11:52:33 PM »

Was the only track he was on Marcella?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 11:55:18 PM »

That or "Mess Of Help". And the "Ten Years Of Harmony" demo, natch.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 07:12:44 AM »

Just to update this- we found an AFM for this song that proves it was recorded during the Carl and the Passions sessions-in Feb 1972- prior to Holland
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 07:34:00 AM »

Just to update this- we found an AFM for this song that proves it was recorded during the Carl and the Passions sessions-in Feb 1972- prior to Holland

Woah!! Crazy news Ian. It's still possible though that it was worked on in Holland too doesn't it? Like maby they recorded the vocals or atleast re-worked some of the vocals in Holland? Great stuff though Ian. Really loving your+AGD's research!!
MBE
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 11:48:12 PM »

I hear Al on it and Brian myself. Bruce may be there as he was at some of the early So Tough sessions.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 05:34:11 AM »

I have to look at it again at home-but I remember that Brian, Carl, and Bruce are all on the AFM as musicians at this session- with Tandyn Almer listed as session leader (BBs seldom listed themselves as session leaders).
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx