gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:28:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 805587 times)
MugginsXOXOXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3150 on: April 30, 2018, 07:07:39 AM »

Now listening to:

Au Revoir Simone - The Bird of Music

Was introduced to these through Twin Peaks: The Return, as one of the many brilliant musical guests from the Roadhouse scenes. Reminds me a bit of Joanna Newsom. Very pretty.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: April 30, 2018, 07:20:56 PM »

Thanks JK for mentioning the Lawrence of Arabia soundtrack.I've seen that movie zillions of times (it's mesmerizing) and the music is outstanding.

Needing a pick me up, decided to listen to a couple of soundtracks.I'm reading a book about Rodgers and Hammerstein so listened to the Broadway production of Cinderella (starting Julie Andrews), and an now listening to the 1955 recording of Oklahoma! Listening to Surrey with the Fringe on Top now.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: May 01, 2018, 02:23:37 AM »

Thanks JK for mentioning the Lawrence of Arabia soundtrack.I've seen that movie zillions of times (it's mesmerizing) and the music is outstanding.

Needing a pick me up, decided to listen to a couple of soundtracks.I'm reading a book about Rodgers and Hammerstein so listened to the Broadway production of Cinderella (starting Julie Andrews), and an now listening to the 1955 recording of Oklahoma! Listening to Surrey with the Fringe on Top now.

You're welcome, E. :=)

Wow. That Oklahoma soundtrack takes me back a bit. Remember hearing it at the time as an almost impossibly young child. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
MugginsXOXOXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: May 01, 2018, 04:32:29 AM »

Now listening to:

Ryan Adams - Prisoner

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: May 03, 2018, 07:17:12 AM »

I'm listening to a selection of less heavy stuff by Prokofiev. Great to nod off to of an afternoon during work. ;=)     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E9tN3vnyf4

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: May 05, 2018, 03:36:58 AM »

Unusually for me I'm listening to the OST of the Chrono Trigger video game. It's a genre you'd expect to sound cold and robotic but much of the time it's surprisingly warm and engaging. This is the "Undersea Palace" theme:   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=Z5PyG42VWvk

With thanks to theSuperMetroid across the road. :=)

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: July 10, 2018, 12:33:21 PM »

I bought Spiritualized's 1997 album Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space on a whim. I'd read about it somewhere, where it had been lumped with Primal Scream's Screamadelica and the Stones' Exile on Main Street, presumably as albums of great musical breadth and scope. So it was just a name when I cycled to a local record store to buy the Beta Band's (underwhelming) swansong album.

Looking around for album #2 (I often buy albums in pairs), my eye fell on LAGWAFIS. I listened to the track linked below and I knew I would love this album. (I still do.)   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEXO15RX36Y

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladies_and_Gentlemen_We_Are_Floating_in_Space

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: July 10, 2018, 06:34:38 PM »

I listened to that album, say, 5 yrs ago. It's boring. Besides, Spiritualized's lead vocalist doesn't sing the way I like.
I'm very kind by nature but, to tell you like it is, many albums you list as favorites, they're very boring to these ears. Frankly, many other posters' favorites bore me as well. But hey, we're cool right. :D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 04:15:05 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: July 11, 2018, 05:58:01 AM »

I listened to that album, say, 5 yrs ago. It's boring. Besides, Spiritualized's lead vocalist doesn't sing the way I like.
I'm very kind by nature but, to tell you like it is, many albums you list as favorites, they're very boring to these ears. Frankly, many other posters' favorites bore me as well. But hey, we're cool right. :D

Yes, we're cool, RR. Cheesy

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: July 15, 2018, 05:20:47 AM »

I've been getting into the music of SOPHIE lately, thanks to the ex-Smiley poster called Alf Wiedersehen. This is sublime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r92DAYsxp3k

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_(musician)

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: July 18, 2018, 05:15:12 PM »

I like to relax and listen to the "Seriously Sinatra" channel on satellite.
Most of the songs on the channel are of course by The Chairman, but other artists are featured as well.

One is Vic Damone, who sang a song called "I Am in Love."
The lyrics would make Agatha Christie smile:  "Should I order cyanide or order champagne."   Grin

I recently heard another song on there that was wonderful - The Four Freshmen singing A Nightingale Sang at Berkeley Square.  The ending is absolutely exquisite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ejKzzsedO8

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: July 18, 2018, 05:40:25 PM »

Respectively - don't care about Sinatra (& his daughter Nancy Sinatra), familiar with Vic Damone's songs, favorites galore, Four Freshmen really rule. Am going to listen to Four Freshmen right now in computer's Winamp library.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: July 19, 2018, 02:36:19 AM »

I recently heard another song on there that was wonderful - The Four Freshmen singing A Nightingale Sang at Berkeley Square.  The ending is absolutely exquisite.

It's not available to me, but I know the choir I used to accompany at rehearsals sang "ANSIBS" at one concert. Not sure if it was this exact version though...

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: August 07, 2018, 07:02:24 PM »

OST to film "Freaks" (1932), Street by Street, Cliff Richard's Greatest Hits.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: August 22, 2018, 06:32:00 AM »

This is pretty frenetic stuff but an engaging listen throughout--never a dull moment!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAHxN4Hs6r4

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/iglooghost-clear-tamei-ep-steel-mogu-ep/

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3165 on: August 25, 2018, 03:32:59 AM »

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: August 29, 2018, 07:29:44 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_of_Every_Pearl%27s_Un-Insides

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: September 04, 2018, 06:25:25 AM »

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: September 15, 2018, 03:34:20 PM »

Listened to Bobbie Gentry, didn't like. Time wasted.
The other artists I didn't like whilst listening to - Johnny Cash (I knew hits b4 but today, yesterday listened to full albums)
Roberta Flack
Marvin Gaye Tammi Terrell duets (listened b4 to Marvin Gaye as solo artist, as usual dislike his voice, Tammi's voice isn't good to these ears either, songs leave me cold)
Phil Collins
Madonna's 80s stuff (bottom line: indifferent)
Kylie Minogue
Dionne Warwick
Franz Ferdinand
Cher & Sonny (it puzzles they were successful, didn't like even at least single song. Sonny's terrible voice, godawful. Cher's voice I never liked)
Ike Turner plus Tina Turner (dislike songs, Tina's voice)

Tbh, I'm fine with disliking these artists. Shan't listen to them repeatedly to try to like them as many here & elsewhere do. As I usually say, big deal.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 05:12:59 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: September 17, 2018, 09:43:36 AM »

Pet Clark's greatest hits (sometimes she sings with accent, the other times it disappears). Few good songs, few nice songs.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: September 19, 2018, 03:25:11 AM »

Looking for obscure late '60s, early '70s recordings, I bumped into this extraordinary album by Magma. See the link for more information, not least about the invented language they sing in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23k0pCLLmuE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magma_(band)

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: September 22, 2018, 09:57:17 AM »

Listened to the other artists this past week. In addition to previous list, didn't like The Pretty Things, CSNY (as in The Band's case, dislike each vocalist's voice, esp. Nash's), Dusty Springfield, Jefferson Airplane/ Starship, Kingston Trio, The Seekers, Mamas & Papas' songs didn't impress either (Cass solo discounts), John Denver, Donna Summer + myriad disco songs/ artists which I listened via youtube, Cream + anything with Clapton, Janis Joplin, Elvis Costello, The Doors, The Tradewinds, Neil Diamond, Bryan Ferry/ Roxy Music, Mary Hopkin, Mary MacGregor, Sting/ Police (plain dull), The Platters, whiny-voiced-channeling-desperately-cutesy-cheerful-lass Joanna Newsom, The Pretenders, Linda Ronstadt, Keith Richards' solo, Fairport Convention, The Grass Roots, Lovin' Spoonful, laughably bad Rod Stewart/ The Faces, The Raspberries, The Monkees.

Frankly, am glad I dislike everybody in the list. It's the least bit smb. should be upset or lose sleep about. It doesn't make sense when people desperately try to like the artists, songs, albums, esp. critically acclaimed & which got positive reviews by listeners.

The artists I did like - Tony Orlando, Sylvie Vartan, Steve Lawrence & Eydie Gorme, Sandie Shaw, Dana, Marlene Dietrich, Nico (of course), Laura Nyro, Barbara Streisand's jazz/ music film material, various new to me 60s-70s names in Larry's blog. Maybe forgetting smb.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: September 22, 2018, 10:24:43 AM »

The artists I did like - Tony Orlando, Sylvie Vartan, Steve Lawrence & Eydie Gorme, Sandie Shaw, Dana, Marlene Dietrich, Nico (of course), Laura Nyro, Barbara Streisand's jazz/ music film material, various new to me 60s-70s names in Larry's blog. Maybe forgetting smb.

I remember liking Tony Orlando's "Bless You"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DtgBZ9n6ak

...and Eydie Gormé's "Blame It On The Bossa Nova"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XHxtXjcatc

...at the time. I like a lot of Nico's stuff. I tried Laura Nyro but it didn't register... 

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: September 22, 2018, 10:08:40 PM »

Looks like it's difficult to answer the Nico question. I figured if you say you like "a lot of" Nico's stuff, it would be easy to answer which song you like the best in her albums you obviously listened to ("a lot of Nico's stuff").

You should check Steve Lawrence-Eydie Gorme duets. &/ or Steve solo. He's among favorite male singing & speaking voices (he & Eydie his wife appeared frequently in U.S. TV game "What's My Line?"). Successful singer by his lonesome like Eydie. But the duets better. Check 'em out (or don't, am used to people not checking my music recommendations by now, hence quit posting youtube links to songs/ albums).

Which Nico song you like the best in her albums?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:55:38 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: September 27, 2018, 09:01:02 PM »

The new Richard Swift has been on repeat the past few days. "Broken Finger Blues" is so good.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx