gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:48:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 802605 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: January 28, 2020, 05:38:24 AM »

Spike Jones Christmas collection. I recommend it to everybody who likes listening to music. You'll be enchanted FOREVER. 3D Smiley

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
beachcat
Smiley Smile Associate

Gen X'er "Living in the Past"

View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: January 30, 2020, 07:33:26 PM »

Usually dislike when actors sing, singers star. Respectively, rarely spectacular than their main line. But, Anthony can sing! Beautifully. Didn't suspect it, hearing speaking voice.

I agree, with all of the above, RR! Just checked out Anthony Perkins on YouTube and thought he did a great job on "Never Will I Marry."

Another actor with a great singing voice that comes to mind is the late Jim Nabors. I recently watched a Gomer Pyle, USMC episode when my spouse said, "You know Jim Nabors could sing, right?" No, I didn't. So when I brought up a clip of him singing Amazing Grace, my mind was blown Shocked Never, ever would I have guessed it was the same man!

"Star bright, star light,
Make this wish come true tonight..."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: February 01, 2020, 12:56:46 PM »

Someone recommended this album to me but due to the pressure of work I've lost track of who it was! (It might have been at BBT.)

Anyway, it's a very soothing listen after a particularly heavy day. So thank you, that person!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adieu_False_Heart

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: February 01, 2020, 03:07:42 PM »

C'est moi.
Glad you enjoyed it.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: February 02, 2020, 03:06:18 PM »

C'est moi.
Glad you enjoyed it.

Ah, it was you, Lizzie. Thank you so much! That album was just the balm I needed during a heavy time. Wink

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: February 10, 2020, 01:56:58 PM »

I suspect this would appeal to aeijtzsche, knowing her love of the Baroque and of the bass guitar, in this case a bass colascione:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nt5VZRzUtQ

https://outhere-music.com/en/albums/alfabeto-falso-a-435/booklet

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: February 12, 2020, 02:56:25 AM »

This just has to be pop's sweetest apology ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WybiA263bw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetest_Thing

beachcat
Smiley Smile Associate

Gen X'er "Living in the Past"

View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: February 16, 2020, 06:57:21 PM »

I was listening to Sirius XM's '60s on 6 this weekend and caught a small portion of their "100 best love songs of the 1960s as chosen by the listeners" show. I love '60s music in general, so this was a nice treat. "Don't Worry Baby" was #32, "Be My Baby" was #30, and "God Only Knows" came in at #7. The top 3 were "Cherish" by the Association, "Unchained Melody", and Elvis' "I Can't Help Falling in Love with You" was #1. Probably the standout song to me, that I had heard a few times before (but never knew what it was) was "To Sir with Love" by Lulu. The host of the show mentioned that Lulu had opened for the Beach Boys at some point, which I thought was cool. There is so much great music from this era that I didn't know about up until recently -- and when I hear it, it feels like finding buried treasure.

"Star bright, star light,
Make this wish come true tonight..."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: February 17, 2020, 07:26:15 AM »

There is so much great music from this era that I didn't know about up until recently -- and when I hear it, it feels like finding buried treasure.

I know the feeling, bc--and I lived through those years! One of my colleagues at the hobby forum introduced me to the deep cuts (mainly B-sides) of Freddie and the Dreamers. No one took Freddie seriously in those days, myself included.

Another recentish (2002) discovery was the UK producer Joe Meek. Most of his acts didn't mean too much--that was the whole point in a way--but his genius as a producer elevated them to superstardom! My brother and I sneered at Joe Meek at the time--we were young and foolish.

And, on the psychedelic and progressive front, my erstwhile young friend re-introduced me to the more adventurous stuff of the late '60s, early '70s that had either passed me by at the time or I had pooh-poohed as not being my cup of tea. (You can see/hear the results in my "Sundazed" topic, now gradually sinking from view.) Ironic that it came from someone born a quarter of a century after much of it had been recorded. I wish her well.

So yes--as you say, buried treasure!       

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: March 08, 2020, 05:45:42 AM »

Time for something joyous and celebratory now that the Power Mower is back in action. How about "Holiday", from Weezer's Blue Album? Hello

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-xD_wSSJ8U

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3435 on: April 06, 2020, 06:12:41 PM »

The Weather by Pond. The vinyl just came today (edit: i should note for me. the album's been out since 2017). "Paint Me Silver" is my favorite track. Rec'd if you want some Australian psych rock heavily influenced by Pet Sounds/Smile.

By the way, I was told these forums were defunct. Gone. Lost to the interwebz. I was wrong!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 06:13:07 PM by undercover-m » Logged

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: April 07, 2020, 05:55:41 AM »

The Weather by Pond. The vinyl just came today (edit: i should note for me. the album's been out since 2017). "Paint Me Silver" is my favorite track. Rec'd if you want some Australian psych rock heavily influenced by Pet Sounds/Smile.

By the way, I was told these forums were defunct. Gone. Lost to the interwebz. I was wrong!

Hello M. No, we're still up and running--pretty smoothly too, if I say so myself. Smokin

Here's that Pond track you recommended:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b6EDEpgoMA

Thanks for the heads up! Great stuff to drift away on... Roll Eyes

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3437 on: April 18, 2020, 09:54:39 AM »

I’m currently listening to a ‘60s Sunshine Pop playlist I put together last night on my phone. Featured on the playlist: The Association, The Mamas & The Papas, The Turtles, The Left Banke, The Happenings, The Free Design, Sagittarius, The Yellow Balloon, The Monkees and more. Lotsa fun. Knowing me, I’ll design an album cover for this when I’m able to.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: April 25, 2020, 07:33:40 PM »

^ What are the odds? I just made a playlist like that tonight. Still a work in progress... Also on the lookout for new bands that sound like that.

The whole album is great; "Sweep Me Off My Feet" is a jam, too. Even though I'm a huge Tame Impala fan, I'm only now really getting into Pond. But hey, that's how it goes.

I might like Man It Feels Like Space Again almost as much. They're all great!

But... currently listening to Alvvays. I'm alvvays listening to them!  Grin
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 07:34:26 PM by undercover-m » Logged

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: April 26, 2020, 03:12:18 AM »

The whole album is great; "Sweep Me Off My Feet" is a jam, too. Even though I'm a huge Tame Impala fan, I'm only now really getting into Pond. But hey, that's how it goes.

I might like Man It Feels Like Space Again almost as much. They're all great!

But... currently listening to Alvvays. I'm alvvays listening to them!  Grin

Now I think of it, M, I remember listening to a great album by Pond a while back called Hobo Rocket. It may well have been you or Mr. Waves who recommended it to me.

Talking of TI, it was certainly you who introduced me to another great album, Lonerism.

You won't believe this, but it was only today that I discovered Kevin Parker and company were from Australia!!!! Brow

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3440 on: April 27, 2020, 12:10:30 AM »

Great stuff. Brian took these building blocks and made a vast, beautiful city out of them.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: April 27, 2020, 02:58:35 AM »

Great stuff. Brian took these building blocks and made a vast, beautiful city out of them.

That is so beautifully said, SD.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: April 28, 2020, 02:10:23 PM »

These days, I'm exploring the music of Christoph Graupner, a contemporary of Bach and Handel but nowhere near as well known.

My first extended listen is this CD by the Austrian soprano Miriam Feuersinger (see the link for details): 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kmpVVdLCZyCHBalyrSO1qfoWuN0hceAI8

https://www.discogs.com/Christoph-Graupner-Miriam-Feuersinger-Capricornus-Consort-Basel-Himmlische-Stunden-Selige-Zeiten/release/5541449

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3443 on: May 10, 2020, 02:52:29 PM »

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: May 18, 2020, 12:20:07 PM »

Now I think of it, M, I remember listening to a great album by Pond a while back called Hobo Rocket. It may well have been you or Mr. Waves who recommended it to me.

Talking of TI, it was certainly you who introduced me to another great album, Lonerism.

You won't believe this, but it was only today that I discovered Kevin Parker and company were from Australia!!!! Brow
Ah yes. Lots of great music comes from the land down under! You won't believe this either, but I only relatively recently started listening to Pond more! The Weather sits by my record player as I type, so I've come a ways, haha.

@Summer_Days, I was on a "Cloudbusting" kick for about a month. Wild Nothing does a great cover of it, too.

Listening to "Try" a lot by Neil Young, Homegrown out next month! :D

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: June 02, 2020, 04:58:15 AM »

Right now discovered beautiful song - Desi Arnaz' band is really exceptionally good, he sings with nice romantic croon the ballad (intro, then singing kicks at 1:25): https://youtu.be/l4X84ZKCc24

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
thefollicleneverdies
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: June 04, 2020, 05:01:57 PM »

thefollicleneverdies
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: June 12, 2020, 04:12:04 AM »

Funkadelic- Maggot Brain

The Sticky Fingers Box. Mostly intrested in reading the coffeee table book.
SBonilla
« Reply #3448 on: June 12, 2020, 05:03:05 AM »

I'm in one of my modes. I said this on another site, and it best describes what I am listening to, "snippets from dozens of recordings...ricocheting around in my head..."
spgass
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: June 30, 2020, 08:47:03 PM »

I have a bunch of CDs in the basement and have been going down there lately to pick something to listen to.  I had pretty much forgotten about the Smoking Popes but I think this is a decent listen if you like pop-punk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZIfEFruAck&list=PLYwfYGziz-_3dEMajz58Gzp3531CV9dLq
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx