gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:07:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 802592 times)
SBonilla
« Reply #3400 on: December 19, 2019, 07:48:15 AM »

More of an experience than 'listening,' but still...

Tomorrow evening we'll be at the Joyce Theater in Manhattan to see the world premier of Michelle Dorrance's, The Nutcracker Suite

This will be something!
Here's the blurb on it from the Joyce site:
"“One of the most imaginative tap choreographers working today” (The New Yorker), Michelle Dorrance and her tap dream team arrive just in time for the holidays with a three-week run of a world premiere by Michelle Dorrance, Hannah Heller, and Josette Wiggan-Freund, set to Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn's sublime interpretation of Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: December 19, 2019, 08:03:35 AM »

Duke Ellington interpreted Tchaikovsky? It should be good. 3D Btw, NC is great winter festive music. Thanks to info, shall seek Duke's jazz reading.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: December 19, 2019, 10:45:22 AM »

For many years a dance company down here would perform that Nutcracker each Christmas season. They didn't tap but used a bit of ballet with modern dance.
My favorite song from that is "Arabesque Cookie"

Might try to catch a "Nutcracker". There's one at a movie theater (think that's Bolshoi), several local productions, plus a performance from a Russian ballet company that comes here every year
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 10:50:25 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: December 23, 2019, 05:29:59 AM »

Besides owning an LP containing the Suite since 1962, my closest connection with old Tsch.'s ballet is the rocked-up version of the "March" by B. Bumble & The Stingers, which was a staple in my piano repertoire since that same year. I like the way scenemaker Kim Fowley claims he wrote it!  LOL 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwarHgdiuSM

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SBonilla
« Reply #3404 on: December 23, 2019, 06:10:42 AM »

Besides owning an LP containing the Suite since 1962, my closest connection with old Tsch.'s ballet is the rocked-up version of the "March" by B. Bumble & The Stingers, which was a staple in my piano repertoire since that same year. I like the way scenemaker Kim Fowley claims he wrote it!  LOL 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwarHgdiuSM

Kim told me that his original concept for the tune was to have conductor and Capitol Records recording artist Carmen Dragon's sons do the record.  You can do the publicity and marketing calculations in your head. The sons eventually did put out a single on Capitol Records in '64.
He also said the the royalties from ELP's were timely; he was at a low financial point in the early 70s, before the Runaways broke.

Brian 'wrote' a famous song, or two,himself: Surfin' Down The Swanee River, Sloop John B - that is, he secured the copyright of an arrangement of a public domain tune. I'm sure he picked up some of the ins and outs of publishing and copyrights from Gary Usher and Murry or the Morgan's, for that matter.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3405 on: December 23, 2019, 07:00:37 AM »

2 Nola - I shall agree that Russians cook up best "Nutcracker". I played American redos - meh.

2 Sbonilla - Interesting info. Can't stand Kim but thanks to tell the business sides in music industry. It fascinates, generally.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
SBonilla
« Reply #3406 on: December 23, 2019, 09:31:56 AM »

2 Sbonilla - Interesting info. Can't stand Kim but thanks to tell the business sides in music industry. It fascinates, generally.

I spent a lot of time with him. He shared many stories. I have mixed feelings about him, too, but he was a mentor. I earned a "Hollywood degree" in music publishing and production company hustle.

(edit) And the two people that taught him the most about the business and took care of him through the years were Ralph Peer II and legendary Hollywood entertainment lawyer, Walter Hurst.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 10:46:34 AM by SBonilla » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: December 23, 2019, 12:31:16 PM »

Kim told me that his original concept for the tune was to have conductor and Capitol Records recording artist Carmen Dragon's sons do the record.  You can do the publicity and marketing calculations in your head. The sons eventually did put out a single on Capitol Records in '64.
He also said the the royalties from ELP's were timely; he was at a low financial point in the early 70s, before the Runaways broke.

Brian 'wrote' a famous song, or two,himself: Surfin' Down The Swanee River, Sloop John B - that is, he secured the copyright of an arrangement of a public domain tune. I'm sure he picked up some of the ins and outs of publishing and copyrights from Gary Usher and Murry or the Morgan's, for that matter.

Thanks for putting me in my place about that, Steve. Me and my big mouth! Cool

I know KF best from his cover of "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!" and its interesting B-side and from his hypophone work on The Mothers' "Who Are The Brain Police?", here at 2:54:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHvZXuD1ZGg

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
SBonilla
« Reply #3408 on: December 23, 2019, 02:25:59 PM »

I know KF best from his cover of "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!" and its interesting B-side and from his hypophone work on The Mothers' "Who Are The Brain Police?", here at 2:54:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHvZXuD1ZGg
[/quote]

That's some crazy stuff. Hadn't heard that in ages.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: December 23, 2019, 03:43:02 PM »

2 Nola - I shall agree that Russians cook up best "Nutcracker". I played American redos - meh.

I like people who "push the envelope", look at things from a different perspective. There are lots of things I liked about Ellington /Strayhorn's take on The Nutcracker, but I do prefer the original.
I'm planning on seeing Tchaikovsky 's opera "Joan of Arc" which will be performed down here in February.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: December 27, 2019, 01:15:09 PM »

Pink Floyd's Obscured by Clouds is actually pretty good from start to finish. It's ages since I last heard it. With thanks to kds at BBT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBXCn_Ksjyg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obscured_by_Clouds

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: January 02, 2020, 04:25:43 AM »

Last night and this morning I've been listening to the album Jaime by Brittany Howard of Alabama Shakes. I knew the Shakes from Jools' BBC TV show and Ms. Howard sang some great soul classics on this year's turn-of-the-year Hootenanny.

Jaime is very intimate (not my bag) but all about loss (very much my bag, always has been) so I'm of two minds about it. It does sound utterly sincere though--not surprisingly perhaps, since it's named after Brittany's sister, who died when they were teenagers.   

Thinks: Is this my gateway to the music of Prince, as the two are in many ways musical soulmates (no pun intended)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwD9S4onuQ0&list=PLsAk6h4n-dS2ijTAnwnsQx3VmLJk-MTkV&index=1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaime_(album)

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: January 06, 2020, 06:00:54 AM »

Not now but yesterday--the 1965 debut album by The Sonics. And thereby hangs a tale or whatever the expression is...

In late 2018, we were holidaying in Cape Verde, on the island of São Vicente to be exact. Halfway through our stay there, we travelled by sea to nearby Santo Antão for a couple of days.

The first thing that caught my eye when we got ashore was this bloke wearing a Sonics T-shirt! It turned out he was Dutch and he'd seen them perform in (I believe) Nijmegen in 2015. Ye gods it's a small world.

This is their stunning version of "Louie Louie", which according to one pop magazine is so underdeveloped it still has gills and fins. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhM5k_EGzaQ 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sonics

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: January 17, 2020, 08:49:56 AM »

Ha. I must be extremely terrible poster in the Internet that nobody even cares about things I say. Zero wonder enthusiasm to write anything dwindled. Welp. This next song is very beautiful & relaxing - it's Chris Montez "The More I See You" *youtube link*.

SBonilla
« Reply #3414 on: January 17, 2020, 10:10:29 AM »

Ha. I must be extremely terrible poster in the Internet that nobody even cares about things I say. Zero wonder enthusiasm to write anything dwindled. Welp. This next song is very beautiful & relaxing - it's Chris Montez "The More I See You" *youtube link*.

I love Chris Montez! The whole soft side of the A&M roster was great: Claudine, Roger Nichols/Small Circle of Friends, Alan Copeland Singers, The Sandpipers.

Zeke was Brian's buddy, too. I think Brian was channeling Chris on Friends, especially on the alt Busy Doin' Nothing.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: January 17, 2020, 12:10:02 PM »

Ha. I must be extremely terrible poster in the Internet that nobody even cares about things I say. Zero wonder enthusiasm to write anything dwindled.

For goodness' sake, RR, stop playing the victim! It doesn't help endear folks to you one jot.

You're doing great at EH. Everyone talks to you there and they respect you. You have a privileged position as a mod. Quite frankly I see no reason for you to complain.

And yes, Chris Montez is cool, particularly his first hit, "Let's Dance". Talk about less is more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Qhw1Z_i3E

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: January 17, 2020, 02:36:34 PM »

It made me curious what people think about specific CM song I namechecked, not about which CM song *you* like or if you like him *generally*. I like to mention titles & see if people recognize it & if yes what they think about it. I like to compare views about *single* song. Kinda like picking album to discuss, just instead of album, it's song.

To JK - will you please quit mentioning EH here at Smiley? Let's not bring up different boards. You read EH, things I post there etc. That's fine & dandy. But I've zero idea why you must mention it here. Please don't. Thanks.

& talk about misunderstanding *completely* the point I made, instead I'm painted in the worst possible light ("playing victim". Leni aired similar grievances, somehow she never been told "stop playing victim"...different standards perhaps...). It simply is beyond comprehension why when I post songs or albums, people *rarely* - & I mean *rarely* - reply to it, join discussion etc. I wish people quit paying attention who reply is written by & focused instead *what's* written. I like to talk with people & as everybody, I like attention, it's very nice when smb. cares what you say, especially nice & cool when people chime in to discuss things with ME! It's ultimate coolness, makes me think I'm interesting conversationalist. It brings enthusiasm. I believe it's totally fine thing to be frustrated when nobody replies to things you say (face it, many of you get frustrated about same thing too). I know perfectly what precisely I talk about. /mini-rant
If smb.'s going to reply to this with the kinda patronizing belittling reply jk did - save it.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: January 17, 2020, 05:42:38 PM »

Today (17 January) is Chris Montez's birthday.
He was wondering which direction to go, musically . Herb Alpert suggested that he go the "soft pop" route. Thus came some hits including The More I See You.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: January 17, 2020, 05:57:15 PM »

Today (17 January) is Chris Montez's birthday.
He was wondering which direction to go, musically . Herb Alpert suggested that he go the "soft pop" route. Thus came some hits including The More I See You.
Haha really? Wow, looks like I miraculously listened to his song today at his cakeday. Ha, who knew. So...won't you tell you like it (TMISY) or not, Nola? Am curious about it.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: January 17, 2020, 07:37:34 PM »

Yes, I like The More I See You. It's nice, relaxing music - sit back in a comfortable chair , with a cup of cocoa or other drink, cat in my lap...
When I think of Montez, that song and Call Me come to mind. I was too young to remember Let's Dance when it came out in 1962 (as I posted earlier, I was 5 years old in 1962 and only recall a couple of songs such as Soldier Boy; 1963 was the first year where I have memories of lots of hits).  I very much remember Montez's later songs from 1966.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3420 on: January 19, 2020, 02:16:12 AM »

Last week I discovered this great YouTube playlist, soothing and exhilarating by turns, of music by Buxtehude and others.

Consisting of 123 videos, it should keep me going for a while!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWblHQ6jTEjVlKCPSvMuOwXhvIYVg0krz

https://www.historicbrass.org/21-features/recordings/229-le-concert-brise-cantatas-and-sonatas-by-buxtehude

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: January 19, 2020, 04:28:21 AM »

Yes, I like The More I See You. It's nice, relaxing music - sit back in a comfortable chair , with a cup of cocoa or other drink, cat in my lap...
When I think of Montez, that song and Call Me come to mind. I was too young to remember Let's Dance when it came out in 1962 (as I posted earlier, I was 5 years old in 1962 and only recall a couple of songs such as Soldier Boy; 1963 was the first year where I have memories of lots of hits).  I very much remember Montez's later songs from 1966.
My girl. :D Recently been seeing the absolute fave TV game "What's My Line" (I mention it, rightly, thousand times - it's simply too fun); the ep with guest panelist Zsa Zsa Gabor, mystery celeb young Anthony Perkins (pre-"Psycho"), blindfolded panelists asked him "Are you singer?" To which he:"Not really". As in, he didn't say plain "No", thus I went to read youtube replies - to amazement, nearly everybody praised his singing, smb. even said like " 'Not really'? But he's really good singer". I'd zero idea till now that Anthony's got side career, that he sang professionally. He covered "The More I See You" (drastically diff. arr.) & the other standards, even sang in French (quite well too, it's uber-difficult language to sing). Playlist: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR_z3_MQ17XeXaGxv_pJs9tcQt3dPzDMq

Usually dislike when actors sing, singers star. Respectively, rarely spectacular than their main line. But, Anthony can sing! Beautifully. Didn't suspect it, hearing speaking voice.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: January 20, 2020, 03:00:52 AM »

The whole soft side of the A&M roster was great: Claudine, Roger Nichols/Small Circle of Friends, Alan Copeland Singers, The Sandpipers.

Ah yes, The Sandpipers! I remember they did this great "soft" version of "Louie Louie":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky4IGw_atto

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sandpipers

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: January 22, 2020, 01:19:22 PM »

With thanks to bellbottoms at BBT:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Sky_on_Mars

twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: January 28, 2020, 04:49:34 AM »

Stone Sour - Absolute Zero atm!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx