gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 05:17:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 136 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 802571 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: February 13, 2019, 04:09:20 AM »

Over at EH there's a fabulous list of albums from the late '60s, early 70s compiled by that forum's most indefatigable poster and first dropped at PSF. See the first four posts here:  

http://endlessharmony.boards.net/thread/105/share-obscure-albums-deserve-recognition?page=1

A true labour of love! I myself worked my way through most of the "Keepers" and many of the "Worth a Second Listen"s and found some wonderful things in both sections, some familiar and some I'd missed at the time or simply forgotten about. So thank you (again), that person. Roll Eyes

Yesterday I bumped into one of the many "Wasn't Impressed With"s: Cauldron, a curious album from 1967 by Fifty Foot Hose. In fact I'm now listening to it for the second time. I think it's a beauty. Love the "mad professor" electronics! (Please read the magnificent YouTube blurb.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6A82VA6A1I

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty_Foot_Hose

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
beachcat
Smiley Smile Associate

Gen X'er "Living in the Past"

View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: February 17, 2019, 06:50:35 PM »

Having recently acquired a decent turntable and speakers, and having had a curiosity about vinyl for a long time, I started buying some LPs. I have about a dozen now, and today's listening selection was James Taylor "Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon".

"Star bright, star light,
Make this wish come true tonight..."
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: February 19, 2019, 10:22:47 AM »

Having recently acquired a decent turntable and speakers, and having had a curiosity about vinyl for a long time, I started buying some LPs. I have about a dozen now, and today's listening selection was James Taylor "Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon".

James Taylor was in top form in the early 70s. Sweet Baby James (1970), Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon (1971), and One Man Dog (1972) are all fantastic albums. I hadn't listened to JT in a while. Thanks for planting the suggestion.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 10:23:50 AM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: February 20, 2019, 02:37:27 PM »

Not now but will in few minutes listen to blogger Larry's new playlist.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
beachcat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: February 20, 2019, 07:29:47 PM »

James Taylor was in top form in the early 70s. Sweet Baby James (1970), Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon (1971), and One Man Dog (1972) are all fantastic albums. I hadn't listened to JT in a while. Thanks for planting the suggestion.  Smiley

You're welcome, B.E. Hopefully I can acquire Sweet Baby James and One Man Dog on vinyl in the near future. Had SBJ on cassette tape long ago and loved it.

gruelingpace
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3255 on: February 26, 2019, 12:50:08 AM »

gruelingpace
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: February 27, 2019, 11:36:42 PM »

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: March 03, 2019, 03:22:22 PM »

Hello, beachcat. Should say I dislike James Taylor's music, maybe should like it but there you go.
Anyhoo, since this thread isn't about favorites you listen to but *general* "what you listen to", here's album I listen to via kitchen radio (yes, it plays at times full albums) - New by Paul. Not sure why it's played few yrs afrer the fact but there you go. It's today's radio pick. I'm famously Paul fan but don't like few tracks they played. Maybe it improves with next tracks? Yay? Nay? Listening tbc. Btw, listened to New before but forgot what songs sound like, every single. Thus, the radio helps to refresh brains but it's like listening to it 1st time, really. As if previously I dreamed that I listened to it but in fact didn't. But I did listen, yet don't recall if liked it or disliked. Bizarre.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: March 03, 2019, 03:52:01 PM »

Anyhoo, since this thread isn't about favorites you listen to but *general* "what you listen to", here's album I listen to via kitchen radio (yes, it plays at times full albums) - New by Paul. Not sure why it's played few yrs after the fact but there you go. It's today's radio pick. I'm famously Paul fan but don't like few tracks they played. Maybe it improves with next tracks? Yay? Nay? Listening tbc. Btw, listened to New before but forgot what songs sound like, every single. Thus, the radio helps to refresh brains but it's like listening to it 1st time, really. As if previously I dreamed that I listened to it but in fact didn't. But I did listen, yet don't recall if liked it or disliked. Bizarre.

I'm not a huge fan of McCartney's New. Some fans rank it very highly among Paul's solo albums - I don't. That said, there are a few standout songs IMO. My favorite song is "New". Fantastic! I'm also a big fan of the hidden track "Scared". Beyond that, I like "Save Us", "On My Way To Work", and "Early Days" quite a bit.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 03:53:11 PM by B.E. » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: March 04, 2019, 07:45:32 AM »

Thanks to reply. I began to think people scared stiff of me, haha! Cheesy Poor folk. Or, only reply if some popular poster did but never start talking themselves.
Anyhoo, didn't like the album. Zero favorites. It may be single such album by Paul. Can you say the same about any Beatle/ Paul?

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: March 04, 2019, 09:05:14 AM »

Anyhoo, didn't like the album. Zero favorites. It may be single such album by Paul. Can you say the same about any Beatle/ Paul?

My two least favorite Paul solo albums are Pipes Of Peace (1983) and Kisses On The Bottom (2012). I can't really say that I like either album nor are any of the songs a favorite of mine.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: March 05, 2019, 06:54:52 AM »

My two least favorite Paul solo albums are Pipes Of Peace (1983) and Kisses On The Bottom (2012). I can't really say that I like either album nor are any of the songs a favorite of mine.

My Valentine was a beautiful song. I like New too, good pop album.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: March 09, 2019, 07:18:18 AM »

Seattle band Poland's fifth album The Sun and the Sitting Room. With thanks to sneakypete77 at EH for the heads up:

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
beachcat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: March 13, 2019, 08:19:20 PM »

Thanks to reply. I began to think people scared stiff of me, haha! Cheesy Poor folk. Or, only reply if some popular poster did but never start talking themselves.

Hi RR, I'm sorry, I just haven't been on the forum for a bit and didn't see your message Smiley I personally have not listened to Paul McCartney's "New". I only have one of his albums, which is "Flaming Pie," and I adore it. Guess I will have to give "New" a try at some point.

It's okay if you don't like James Taylor, I don't mind Cheesy

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: March 14, 2019, 06:55:16 AM »

Hello, beachcat. It's fine. Re: Flaming Pie, you & me both, good album indeed. What's your favorite songs there? Can you share?

beachcat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: March 17, 2019, 06:57:09 PM »

Hello, beachcat. It's fine. Re: Flaming Pie, you & me both, good album indeed. What's your favorite songs there? Can you share?

Sure Smiley  If I had to choose three songs as my favorites from Flaming Pie they would be:

1. The Song We Were Singing - It reminds me of hanging out with good friends and just doing nothing

2. The World Tonight - I love the edgier lead guitar in this one

3. Calico Skies - Exactly what a sweet little love song should be

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: March 18, 2019, 10:11:03 AM »

When I'm missing someone and it's late at night, this is my go-to song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmInifeZkzY

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: March 20, 2019, 08:12:49 AM »

The gorgeous Souvlaki by Slowdive, which I dedicate to Mr. Beyer who I know is a big fan of this band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpzZ_sslsHM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souvlaki_(album)

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3268 on: March 23, 2019, 11:12:52 AM »

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 11:16:38 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: March 24, 2019, 01:49:40 PM »

^^^^^^ What a gorgeous cover, SD. Roll Eyes

By sheer chance, I've been listening to a blissed-out album by Sports, a band new to me, called Naked All the Time. From that album, this is "Panama". I dedicate it to a close friend of mine who's a big fan of nudity. Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRHvG5B0NLM

http://www.oxfordkarma.com/music/album-review-sports-naked-all-the-time/

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3270 on: March 25, 2019, 02:07:36 PM »

Sure Smiley  If I had to choose three songs as my favorites from Flaming Pie they would be:

1. The Song We Were Singing - It reminds me of hanging out with good friends and just doing nothing

2. The World Tonight - I love the edgier lead guitar in this one

3. Calico Skies - Exactly what a sweet little love song should be
What do you think about "Little Willow"?

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: March 27, 2019, 03:16:00 AM »

Drop Nineteens' "Kick The Tragedy" would have made an admirable addition to my friend's "spoken moments in songs" topic at PSF/EH. The passage in question begins at 5:28:

"I think it was the first time I realized I could change the world, or at least change the way me and my sister hit the clock on every tick just to see what would happen. The time was really flowing by I guess and it’s hard to think of the way it might have been or remember really specifically the words and all the rest of it. I was down, more than I’ll ever be probably, that has more to do with it altogether. Like the orange trees in the backyard and it’s Easter and it just won’t end. Fucking Phil, he’s off on his board somewhere and I’m just sitting here getting more and more lost with everything. That is the thing about it, it’s not as if a cousin had promised something and taken it away. It was like nobody could share my so-called dreams which really meant none of it was happening. And that reach around midnight left you with just about that, nothing. There’s not anything particular about it either and I think that the whole thing gets vaguer every second. But I am too and there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s even funny when I stop and realize I’m just nineteen, how serious can anything be anyway? Not very."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB7iPiFExN4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_Nineteens

SBonilla
« Reply #3272 on: March 27, 2019, 05:49:12 AM »

I was recording a tune of mine last night. Something in three.

I woke up this morning and my mind was playing BREAK UP TO MAKE UP, the great song by Thom Bell, Linda Creed, Kenny Gamble, & The Stylistics.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: March 30, 2019, 01:20:30 PM »

This is one that would have fit nicely in the "Favourite spoken moments in songs" topic across the road. And in the same poster's "Favourite compilations". Such is life...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBJ6teB2IXw

[Here at 1:45]
"You're not the child
You thought you were
You wake up in the night
And know you're blind
And yet they keep on pushing
Trying the insides of your mind
Forever, forever arresting to control
Until the emptiness of heaven welcomes your weary soul"

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: April 01, 2019, 10:47:12 AM »

I bumped into this one by Porcupine Tree while playing a word game at Hoffman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbWhpfXisZw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadwing

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 136 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx