gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:17:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 115 116 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 811001 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: May 09, 2016, 11:59:14 AM »

OK. What John Fogerty album you will recommend? I assume you listened to each of them?

For solo albums, I'd recommend Centerfield and Revival. 

For CCR, I'd recommend pretty much any of them except for Mardi Gras.  Cosmo's Factory might be their best. 

Thanks. Did other bandmates go solo? Anything good?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #2751 on: May 09, 2016, 12:01:20 PM »

OK. What John Fogerty album you will recommend? I assume you listened to each of them?

For solo albums, I'd recommend Centerfield and Revival. 

For CCR, I'd recommend pretty much any of them except for Mardi Gras.  Cosmo's Factory might be their best. 

Thanks. Did other bandmates go solo? Anything good?

I know Tom Fogerty put out some albums, but from what I hear, it was nothing to write home about.  John Fogerty was the voice, lead guitarist, and songwriter, so he basically WAS CCR.  Even more so than Brian was TBB.

Stu Cook and Doug Clifford put together Creedence Clearwater Revisited, but I think their only releases have been live albums of old CCR songs.   
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: May 09, 2016, 10:43:12 PM »

Michael Gira - I Am Not This

A limited edition tour CD from the front man of Swans. I managed to get one.
This guy's such an incredible songwriter.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: May 10, 2016, 11:16:44 PM »

2 March 1981    John Martyn live

great early morning music...

https://youtu.be/Y-x3wNDo0oQ         
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 11:25:28 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: May 11, 2016, 07:35:03 AM »

Still obsessing over the wondrous versatility of Rufus Wainwright. Listening to his Shakespeare album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U43orOwJaxY
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: May 11, 2016, 12:23:46 PM »

Discovery is their electronic/house peak.

Yes indeed. I'm discovering that Discovery has some nice things on it. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: May 12, 2016, 04:37:19 AM »

Lately:

U2 - The Joshua Tree
Def Leppard - Hysteria
2Pac - Me Against the World
Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die and Life After Death
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
Prince & The Revolution - Purple Rain
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Drake - Views
Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: May 12, 2016, 04:40:22 AM »

Now he tells us! And here's me sweating over RAM, wondering what the heck all the fuss is about... LOL

Actually, I have Discovery lined up for listening (thanks for the tip!). And---believe it or not---I'm warming (ever so slightly) to RAM... Smokin  

Well, this being a rock-oriented forum, I thought RAM would appeal more, give its 70s throwback character. But I'm glad you're digging Discovery. Need to play it again as it's been a while.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: May 12, 2016, 04:47:08 AM »

Now he tells us! And here's me sweating over RAM, wondering what the heck all the fuss is about... LOL

Actually, I have Discovery lined up for listening (thanks for the tip!). And---believe it or not---I'm warming (ever so slightly) to RAM... Smokin  

Well, this being a rock-oriented forum, I thought RAM would appeal more, give its 70s throwback character. But I'm glad you're digging Discovery. Need to play it again as it's been a while.

Interesting that you should say this forum is rock-oriented. I've never really thought about it but it does sound about right...

All the same, my current late-night-and-early-morning listen is a revisit of the Infected Mushroom album Army of Mushrooms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uloBD9xxwZ0

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #2759 on: May 12, 2016, 05:14:25 AM »

Lately:

Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town

I love The Final Cut, even if it's essentially a Roger Waters album featuring David Gilmour and Nick Mason.

Darkness on the Edge of Town might be my favorite Bruce album.  I wish he still put out music that good.  
bluesno1fann
« Reply #2760 on: May 13, 2016, 07:18:32 PM »

Haven't listened to it yet, but got this on CD yesterday:

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: May 15, 2016, 04:47:21 AM »

Franz Waxman's Bride of Frankenstein score...  Shocked

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: May 15, 2016, 06:38:32 PM »

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: May 18, 2016, 10:41:18 AM »

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: May 18, 2016, 10:48:43 AM »

Didn't you say in Sandbox you got student's work to do? Is it possible to listen music while doing brainwork? I'd imagine music, esp. with earbuds, really gets in the way of studying. No?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #2765 on: May 18, 2016, 10:57:26 AM »

Didn't you say in Sandbox you got student's work to do? Is it possible to listen music while doing brainwork? I'd imagine music, esp. with earbuds, really gets in the way of studying. No?

I used to listen to music while doing school work all the time.

Studying for an exam?  Not so much. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: May 18, 2016, 11:03:23 AM »

Did you do it with speakers or applying ear buds?

KDS
« Reply #2767 on: May 18, 2016, 11:10:27 AM »

Did you do it with speakers or applying ear buds?

Usually speakers on a  little boom box. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: May 18, 2016, 11:15:36 AM »

Figured as much. Don't know what's boom box, maybe some box. Anyway, with speakers it's easier to study because the music isn't literally in head. At any rate, I think it distracts & students must do 1st the work, then with free time - listen music etc. How do you see it?

KDS
« Reply #2769 on: May 18, 2016, 11:17:54 AM »

Figured as much. Don't know what's boom box, maybe some box. Anyway, with speakers it's easier to study because the music isn't literally in head. At any rate, I think it distracts & students must do 1st the work, then with free time - listen music etc. How do you see it?

It's a small stereo with a CD player. 

I find that if I'm doing work, it helps to have music in the background. 
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: May 18, 2016, 11:29:27 AM »

I'm doing excel sheets and typing up stuff, not really studying.

I can't really handle complete silence if I feel really anxious about what I'm doing. Royal Blood is pretty hardcore compared to what I normally listen to so it helps me... stay awake and focused, I guess. I'd listen to quiet or instrumental music if I was reading or studying though.

It really depends on the person and the type of work and the type of music you listen to. Some studies show music helps with work, sometimes, it doesn't.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:32:02 AM by undercover-m » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: May 18, 2016, 11:36:52 AM »

But logically, you listened to favorite bands & singers many times; it gets stuck in mind anyway. You know what they sound like, where this drum beat goes, the bass kicks in, then it goes like this etc. It's not silence, right?

KDS
« Reply #2772 on: May 18, 2016, 12:00:03 PM »

But logically, you listened to favorite bands & singers many times; it gets stuck in mind anyway. You know what they sound like, where this drum beat goes, the bass kicks in, then it goes like this etc. It's not silence, right?

Not quite. 

You're always going to have thoughts / dialog in your head.  It's still silence.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: May 18, 2016, 12:11:30 PM »

Well music & thoughts - 2 different things. No? Discuss.

KDS
« Reply #2774 on: May 18, 2016, 12:53:29 PM »

Well music & thoughts - 2 different things. No? Discuss.

Did you mean in your head?  If music is going on in your head, but you can't hear it, you're still experiencing silence. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 115 116 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx