gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 07:45:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 813908 times)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2625 on: March 23, 2016, 09:10:33 PM »

God, I love Big Star/Alex Chilton (and the photography of William Eggleston).
Smiley me too. And, tangentially, the replacements;
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: March 23, 2016, 09:14:29 PM »

God, I love Big Star/Alex Chilton (and the photography of William Eggleston).
Smiley me too. And, tangentially, the replacements;
I'm just finding out I love The Replacements. "Kiss Me on the Bus" reminds me a great deal of Alex.
I think it's really cool they sorta became buddies, and that he worked on their music in various capacities.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: March 23, 2016, 09:19:56 PM »

It is. And a lot of people my age (mid-forties) learned about him and Big Star through the Replacements. They really delivered him to my generation.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: March 24, 2016, 10:46:03 AM »

I'm always happy to see another passenger on the Protomartyr train, but I've been raving about this band since September.
Do you now trust undercover-m after listening to Mac DeMarco?

Yes, I now trust undercover-m. At least I think I do. Cool Guy
Hehehe. Glad to see I have some sort of influence on these boards Smiley.
Now if only someone else was as unreasonably obsessed with Vampire Weekend or Tame Impala as I am Tongue

Listening to some Parquet Courts and Protomartyr this morning...

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2629 on: March 25, 2016, 08:29:22 AM »

That wind serenade where f murray abraham drops da' music.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: March 26, 2016, 05:31:36 AM »

MAGNETIC SOUTH   Michael Nesmith & the First National Band
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: March 26, 2016, 06:53:27 AM »

Guess what I've just been listening to. That is one brilliant album. Thank you, u-m and Bubs. :=)   

As in the case of Mr Demarco, I'm sorely tempted to investigate Protomartyr further...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: March 26, 2016, 09:34:39 AM »

Guess what I've just been listening to. That is one brilliant album. Thank you, u-m and Bubs. :=)   

As in the case of Mr Demarco, I'm sorely tempted to investigate Protomartyr further...
The Devil in His Youth, Uncle Mother's, and Dope Cloud are all good songs off of The Agent Intellect.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: March 26, 2016, 10:00:57 AM »

Give The Agent Intellect a spin. It's a little bit different in that it's more varied, experimental, and fully formed.

As RangeRover pointed out to me, this is my 2,000th post. woo i dont have a terribly active social life
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 11:22:29 AM by Bubs » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: March 26, 2016, 01:50:10 PM »

Give The Agent Intellect a spin. It's a little bit different in that it's more varied, experimental, and fully formed.

As RangeRover pointed out to me, this is my 2,000th post. woo i dont have a terribly active social life

Haha. Congrats, Bubs. I hope to reach that magic figure some time soon.

Actually I had No Passion All Technique lined up first (and then TAI). Is that wise?

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 05:28:40 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: March 26, 2016, 02:22:27 PM »

Haha. Congrats, Bubs. I hope to reach that magic figure some time soon.

Actually I had All Passion No Technique lined up first (and then TAI). Is that wise?

Actually, I've never listened to their first album. I can't imagine anything bad will happen if you listen to it, so do whatever you prefer.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: March 27, 2016, 01:36:52 AM »

Actually I had No Passion All Technique lined up first (and then TAI). Is that wise?
Actually, I've never listened to their first album. I can't imagine anything bad will happen if you listen to it, so do whatever you prefer.

I've survived so far, haha.  I must admit it's building nicely. It's not as sophisticated as its successor but that's to be expected, I suppose. It has some memorable hooks, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 05:30:16 AM by john k » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: March 28, 2016, 03:04:56 AM »

I've survived so far, haha.  I must admit it's building nicely. It's not as sophisticated as its successor but that's to be expected, I suppose. It has some memorable hooks, that's for sure.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18192-protomartyr-no-passion-all-technique/

Sorry, got the title wrong (I've corrected it where I can). I'd say it's worth a listen, Bubs. (Although I can't imagine anything bad will happen if you don't!) It's here, minus the last track for some obscure reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTF8XtZJAyA&index=1&list=PLJDxP-LI0qG8v94Jdo0i-NcsyPmNTfERE

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 05:31:43 AM by john k » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: March 28, 2016, 05:29:04 AM »

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 05:40:55 AM by john k » Logged

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: March 30, 2016, 01:00:40 PM »

Trying to get acquainted with the Cure.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2640 on: March 31, 2016, 07:13:56 PM »

halblaineisgood
« Reply #2641 on: April 02, 2016, 08:20:24 PM »

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 08:27:53 PM by Golden Raisins » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: April 04, 2016, 02:34:27 PM »

I'm always happy to see another passenger on the Protomartyr train, but I've been raving about this band since September.
Do you now trust undercover-m after listening to Mac DeMarco?

Yes, I now trust undercover-m. At least I think I do. Cool Guy
Hehehe. Glad to see I have some sort of influence on these boards Smiley.
Now if only someone else was as unreasonably obsessed with Vampire Weekend or Tame Impala as I am Tongue

Listening to some Parquet Courts and Protomartyr this morning...

I've since moved on to "Parkay Quarts". Two of them were interviewed in my
Dutch TV guide, where their forthcoming album was described as "brilliant".

I found this complete album of theirs on Youtube and it sounds rather good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPpihD340yE

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: April 04, 2016, 09:12:58 PM »

^ That is a great album. What I've heard of Sunbathing Animal is also fantastic. I'm a fan of these songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XDKdLS91Qc (the intro sounds kinda like Spoon....)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKVARXSHZD8

for me, right now...

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: April 04, 2016, 09:25:33 PM »

Damn you Cream I've tried to like you so many times but you're mostly just boring blues workouts or obnoxious drum solos and that album is no different other than maybe a song or two but that album cover totally sells you on something that isn't present damn you Eric Clapton you're a terrible racist god and your solo albums are only liked by middle-aged fathers who wear running shoes everywhere

Kate Bush remains wonderful.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:34:05 PM by Bubs » Logged
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: April 04, 2016, 09:32:19 PM »

Damn you Cream I've tried to like you so many times but you're mostly just boring blues workouts or obnoxious drum solos and that album is no different other than maybe a song or two but that album cover totally sells you on something that isn't present damn you Eric Clapton you're a terrible god and your solo albums are only liked by middle-aged fathers who wear running shoes everywhere
yeah, I mean I like it but I think this is my second time listening to it and I only made it 4 songs in.

I'm listening to the Pina Colada Song now, so that's my life...

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: April 04, 2016, 10:20:05 PM »

I've since moved on to "Parkay Quarts".
May I interrupt for a bit? I see you wrote the name differently. Is it Dutch TV guide's mistake?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: April 04, 2016, 10:36:16 PM »

I've since moved on to "Parkay Quarts".
May I interrupt for a bit? I see you wrote the name differently. Is it Dutch TV guide's mistake?
The band, I think, sometimes refers to themselves as this. It's like a joke. They seem like funny guys.

Kind of like how on Tame Impala's Facebook, Kevin Parker writes his name as "Par Coeur."

halblaineisgood
« Reply #2648 on: April 05, 2016, 12:40:34 AM »

that album cover totally sells you

Martin Sharp
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 12:47:14 AM by Golden Raisins » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2649 on: April 05, 2016, 12:55:47 AM »

none of your damn business Kool-Aid Man

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 12:56:41 AM by Golden Raisins » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx