gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:29:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 806083 times)
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: January 24, 2015, 04:46:16 PM »

I fixed the link, typed an O instead of 0.  The "Elpee's Worth of Toons" is a  vintage promo, not 1983.  I tried to find the whole video on youtube with no luck.  It might still be around on DVD.  It's very much worth having.  "Time Heals" video was the number 3 or 4 video ever played on MTV.  I like it.  The first time I ever saw it was at a Todd show.  He ran it as Utopia played it live.

I guess if you like the first Utopia album you might like Ra.  I liked the other 1977 Utopia album Oops! Wrong Planet a lot more - the long synth numbers are held in check, it's all shorter Pop songs.  Search out the live Ra tracks, it came off better live.  "Magic Dragon Theatre" has a great period video.  For me the first really good one is Adventures in Utopia (1979).  After that all Utopia albums are fantastic.  Try Oblivion and P.O.V. - they Rock!

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: January 24, 2015, 05:37:11 PM »

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: January 24, 2015, 08:29:54 PM »

There's truly nothing like it.  Bow

Thank God for that. Cry

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: January 25, 2015, 01:12:51 AM »

Hell yeah! One of the all-timers for me.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: January 25, 2015, 01:50:06 PM »

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: January 25, 2015, 02:39:14 PM »

Skylarking is pretty fantastic. "1000 Umbrellas" is my favourite track off that - such a great, weird arrangement.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: January 27, 2015, 12:56:48 PM »

Hell yeah, Valarie is gem! I love all that twisted Zappa doo-wop stuff. "I'm Not Satisfied" (the version from Cruisin' With Ruben And The Jets) is my favorite example of that.
At one time my entire piano repertoire was restricted to RatJ's version of "I'm Not Satisfied". I didn't play anything else. When Roy Estrada hits those high notes towards the end----wow!

Just now I was listening to this, for the first time. Extraordinary----and it's from 1971!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: January 27, 2015, 01:01:01 PM »

There's truly nothing like it.  Bow

Thank God for that. Cry
Got out of the wrong side of our bed again, have we?  Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: January 29, 2015, 03:21:12 AM »

<Moved>
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 01:26:03 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: January 30, 2015, 03:42:37 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBkBoqRa7sc

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2285 on: January 30, 2015, 04:32:58 PM »

I listened to the Rival Sons 2014 album 'Great Western Valkerie' today but I was too busy to really give it the concentration required to HEAR it properly.  I did hear some catchy stuff though.  Needs a proper listen.  I liked a fair bit of their 2012 LP 'Head Down'.  Same with Neil Diamond's new one 'Melody Road'  It struck me as one long time Neil fans would probably enjoy.  I thought that I was one of those...at least peripherally.  I guess not.  It needs another proper listening...if I can muster up the courage to try it again.  I didn't hear anything that caught my ear the first time through.  On some of it he sounded pretty old.  Some of it?  Not so much.  Too early to write it off yet.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: February 01, 2015, 03:15:49 PM »

The bonus CD----as good as the main album...

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: February 06, 2015, 10:31:31 AM »

Ivy - This Is The Day

I saw this movie when it came out, but never noticed this song. So freakin good. Some very BW-like stuff happening in the bass line. The brass stuff also sounds like something Brian would've arranged back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO-vmZsP9sE
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: February 10, 2015, 02:38:23 PM »

"People see no worth in you, oh, but I do"
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: February 10, 2015, 03:00:03 PM »

The bonus CD----as good as the main album...

I kinda preferred the bonus CD over the main album - I loved the bare-bones tracks mixed in with B-sides from the main album. I wish they did more acoustic stuff like that.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: February 11, 2015, 10:46:28 AM »

My co-workers are a bit annoyed with me today because I'm having a Prog Rock day. Nobody wants to come over to my work desk because I have Genesis 'Nursery Cryme' and the first Klaatu album playing (not at the same time mind you, I'm not that crazy). After I get my 'prog fix' I'll probably get back to 3 chord music tomorrow. Anyway, enjoy or don't enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ-I0htgXYI  (Nursery Cryme)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhrMLbEhjKI  (Klaatu)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:14:35 AM by Mike Garneau » Logged
Tomorrowville
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2291 on: February 17, 2015, 09:38:16 AM »

Album of the year, as far as I'm concerned.

Songwriter, keyboard player - Pentacon Six - indie pop
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: February 17, 2015, 11:13:44 AM »

Skylarking is pretty fantastic. "1000 Umbrellas" is my favourite track off that - such a great, weird arrangement.

I'm listening to Skylarking today. Grass and The Meeting Place are my two favorites. Super Supergirl is damn great too. All around incredible album. Produced by Mr. Rundgren.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #2293 on: February 18, 2015, 11:56:10 AM »

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:59:15 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2294 on: February 18, 2015, 12:20:24 PM »

Not sure what it is that inspired me...but I've been listening to a LOT of snippits from the 'No Pier Pressure' album by some guy named Brian Wilson lately...that and a single release called 'The Right Time' by the same 'Wilson' artist featuring some guy named Al Jardine...and another named David Lee...or was it David Marks.  Something like that.  Not bad at all.  I'd recommend it.  All I know is...it's new stuff.  Anybody ever hear of this guy?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now I'm listening to Eric Clapton and friends' tribute to JJ Cale...'The Breeze'.  Very nice.  Great playing.  Nice variety.  Some quality individuals lending their take and talents to the mix.  But no one could 'do' 'Mama Don't'?

I was quite the JJ fan.  So...by and large I appreciate this album a LOT.  Odd in a sense...'cause if there was EVER a guy who had NO interest in becoming 'a star' it was JJ Cale.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 01:15:44 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Tomorrowville
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2295 on: February 19, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »

Listening today to Sean Nelson (of Harvey Danger)'s 2013 solo album, "Make Good Choices."  Love it - one of my favorites of recent years.

Songwriter, keyboard player - Pentacon Six - indie pop
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: February 20, 2015, 10:18:16 PM »

There will never be anything cooler than this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zgsIdMa8qA

If you do find something cooler, you should check your pulse because you're probably dead.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 10:27:48 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2297 on: February 22, 2015, 09:43:07 AM »

And today it's the new Tom Cochrane album [he's Canadian...YOU might remember his song 'Life Is a Highway'?]  Anyway...'Take It Home' is his first NEW album in 9 years.  Pretty darned excellent.  Tasty Rock-edged music with STRONG vocals.  Nice variety of sounds on the album.  And...possibly it'll be his last album ever???

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/02/13/tom-cochrane-says-new-lp-take-it-home-could-be-his-last

Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: February 22, 2015, 10:36:08 AM »

Enjoying some Ronnie Hawkins tunes today. Who Do You Love, Goin' To The River, Ain't That Just Like A Woman to name a few. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10DOMTXIeE0

Hey Add Some, are you a Ronnie Hawkins fan? I'm pretty sure he's a Canadian too.  Smokin
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: February 22, 2015, 10:37:26 AM »

Enjoying some Ronnie Hawkins tunes today. Who Do You Love, Goin' To The River, Ain't That Just Like A Woman to name a few. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10DOMTXIeE0

Robbie's guitar kills on that one.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx