gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681555 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 13, 2024, 03:55:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Most Blatant Rip-off of a BB Song to Make the Singles Charts?  (Read 9877 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 10:26:03 PM »

...um, WOW.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 11:04:36 PM »

The Beales "Back In The USSR" is a good contender. Capitol released it as a single in 1976 to promote the Rock And Roll compilation and it peaked at #19 on the charts (US). And it definitely qualifies as a Beach Boys rip-off even if some of it was "inspired" by Mike Love.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 11:56:20 PM »

is dat "Ding Dang"?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Gohi
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 06:24:48 AM »

That Mad Men episode was a standout because not only were the references cool but as mentioned the attention to detail - as the show usually does - was spot on, down to tracing it back to an actual Stones show at an actual location, rather than a fictional invention to enhance the storyline as other shows might do.

Long story short, in the episode Don and Harry Crane go backstage to the Stones show and they hoped to sign the Stones to do a commercial jingle for a client. Crane gets in, thinks he's meeting the Stones, comes out with an agreement, but he actually signed the Tradewinds to sing the jingle rather than the Stones. They never took it beyond that.

But like Mad Men does often, it sent their fanbase on a search for who or what the Tradewinds were, they found "New York...", and there was a bit of a buzz around the song. AMC shows do that so well, it's great how many fans have discovered new music that way. And it's all 100% period correct on Mad Men, the attention to detail is amazing.

That Vini Poncia was something of a Zelig character around pop music, wasn't he?  Smiley
I really am not a big fan of that episode. Pretty sloppily written. That gypsy popping up out of nowhere makes me laugh, as does Don and Harry's conversation with those stupid Stones girls.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 06:34:09 AM »

The Raspberries - Cruisin' Music.... Kinda the spit of Do It Again, with the riff and melody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjTkiq8HAkw
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 06:35:04 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 07:25:30 AM »

That Mad Men episode was a standout because not only were the references cool but as mentioned the attention to detail - as the show usually does - was spot on, down to tracing it back to an actual Stones show at an actual location, rather than a fictional invention to enhance the storyline as other shows might do.

Long story short, in the episode Don and Harry Crane go backstage to the Stones show and they hoped to sign the Stones to do a commercial jingle for a client. Crane gets in, thinks he's meeting the Stones, comes out with an agreement, but he actually signed the Tradewinds to sing the jingle rather than the Stones. They never took it beyond that.

But like Mad Men does often, it sent their fanbase on a search for who or what the Tradewinds were, they found "New York...", and there was a bit of a buzz around the song. AMC shows do that so well, it's great how many fans have discovered new music that way. And it's all 100% period correct on Mad Men, the attention to detail is amazing.

That Vini Poncia was something of a Zelig character around pop music, wasn't he?  Smiley
I really am not a big fan of that episode. Pretty sloppily written. That gypsy popping up out of nowhere makes me laugh, as does Don and Harry's conversation with those stupid Stones girls.

To each his own - I remember that one because of the attention to detail and the fact that I was still thinking about various parts of it during the week. And yes, I also looked up that Stones gig referenced in the episode and it led me to some other interesting websites and factoids I would not have seen had it not been for Mad Men - and it was also neat to see the actual commercial The Stones made in real life in the 60's...cereal!

If there were some plot or writing issues - which I didn't see or just don't remember personally - I think the history geek in me wrote them off in favor of the detail and the accuracy of the various things going on.

The blessing and curse with a high quality show like Mad Men is that the best episodes are literally *so well done* that even an episode which may not have as many moments of greatness or certain writing flaws is still exceptional television, especially compared to the competition.

When is it coming back with new episodes, anyway?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 07:44:42 AM »

Knowing your musical tastes, I will have to suggest you check this out. It collects early 60s Poncia and Anders demos, Tradewinds, Innocence, some Videls, and other assorted rarities. The same company does a Neil Sedaka one that is out of this world as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANDERS-PONCIA-Masterworks-2CD-Set-64-Tracks-/280421096027

Thank you for this tip, I will check it out! I'm not familiar with this collection, it looks interesting.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2012, 08:11:10 AM »

It's like Love You meets MIU.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2012, 08:21:16 AM »

The thing to remember is the original question was asking for records which actually made the single charts - maybe all of them listed did just that, I don't know but some entries seem iffy at best - But it was that point which kept some off of my list, including the original version of "Come To California" by Matthew Sweet, which is a spot-on production tribute to late 60's BB's. And that version never charted.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2012, 08:33:38 AM »

...including the original version of "Come To California" by Matthew Sweet, which is a spot-on production tribute to late 60's BB's. And that version never charted.

But the video needs to be posted anyway - spot the pretty awesome Brian/BB reference at around 2:24!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8XOQyOHIho

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2012, 08:38:59 AM »

This one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHr8mcWqy9U
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2012, 08:39:58 AM »

Didn't make the singles charts.

Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2012, 08:42:13 AM »

As the comments say...................
In my opinion the only thing wrong with this video is that the girl in the middle isn't the only one in it.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2012, 09:02:18 AM »

...including the original version of "Come To California" by Matthew Sweet, which is a spot-on production tribute to late 60's BB's. And that version never charted.

But the video needs to be posted anyway - spot the pretty awesome Brian/BB reference at around 2:24!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8XOQyOHIho

Absolutely! That video didn't air all that often, and I would record MTV's 120 Minutes every week at that time. The BW reference floored me at that time, especially a reference to Wild Honey showing up on MTV!

You can't get much closer to wearing a Brian Wilson influence on your sleeve than wearing a beard, bathrobe, and holding a copy of Wild Honey in your video... Grin

Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2012, 09:15:13 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEJX6SmMw1s

Who is this guy?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 09:23:55 AM »

He posted this here not so long ago, try searching the board. Dude with a ukelele sorta-kareokes Smile, it's not bad.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2012, 01:06:20 PM »

Henry Gross's tribute to Carl's deceased canine "Shannon" may have been the highest-charting record to be thoroughly BBs-influenced....and as it happens was released by Lifesong, the label that issued the Carvells' "LA Run" Stateside.

But I hadn't heard that Carvells song before. Pretty rockin'. I see the song was covered in Swedish by an outfit called Magnum Bonum and topped the charts there. That version lets us know what Swedes think about when they think about skating - namely, Big Macs and Skate City itself....New Orleans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uquCLdtzJfk

I would go for Shannon as being a big hit sounding like the BBs.

How didi Henry Gross happen to make a song about Carl Wilson's dog anyway?  Always wondered about that....
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2012, 02:22:18 PM »

Shannon was also the name of Henry Gross's dog.  She got a barking credit name check on his prior A&M album.

Or to paraphrase Casey Kasem: a song "about a f*cking dog dying!"

Not a chart single but anyone remember "There's No Surf In Cleveland" by the Euclid Beach Band?  A goof track produced by Eric Carmen.  (Maybe it's one of the YouTube videos above, didn't look)

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 02:25:20 PM by Dr. Tim » Logged

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2012, 01:48:16 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk9SYy5RRkM

Seriously this song makes me want to dance and is one of the good later surfing songs...Brian Wilson even enjoys it. LOL
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2012, 01:53:57 AM »

dude, it's already posted. see previous replies.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2012, 02:17:55 AM »

It's OK.

Getcha Back.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2012, 02:25:19 AM »

dude, it's already posted. see previous replies.
I didn't check any of the songs I just posted. Lol (I tend to do that.)
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2012, 06:55:35 AM »

Fun topic. I'd go for 'I Live for the Sun' as well. You know you've got a strong, blatant Beach Boys rip off song when even Jeff Foskett decides to do a blatant rip-off song of your blatant rip-off song!  Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgSjxacaccs
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 06:57:51 AM by kwan_dk » Logged

rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2012, 09:17:54 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50_61zrWdgw

...though it never made the charts - NRBQ's "Christmas Wish."
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile