gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:27:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Best Beatles Solo Albums.  (Read 20225 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 10:18:37 PM »

So the consensus seems to be that they did their best work in the years immediately after the breakup - ATMP, POB, Ram, Ringo, W&B, BOTR, Imagine....am I right?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 04:13:38 AM »

I think that's true. I think George & John had a fair amount of ambition coming out of The Beatles, which helped. I mean, you don't release albums like Plastic Ono Band and All Things Must Pass if you're cruising or tired of the business. Paul was tired but as a consummate showman and show-off (to whom 'cruising' means 'Maybe I'm Amazed')  he got back into it.

Maybe I'm Amazed, if the band wouldn't have throttled Paul at the prospect of doing another one of his tunes as a single, would have been a great send-off to The Beatles imo. He never seems to have showed it to them?

Although George did one of his best efforts, Brainwashed, in 2001 and Chaos & Creation and Memory Almost Full aren't 'bad' by Paul's sometimes horrifying standards (The latter is mastered like hot ass, mind).

Of course, we don't know about John. He had a few nice things in the can, demoed or otherwise, when he died, but if Double Fantasy is anything to go by the 80's might have been rough on him.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 11:24:40 AM »

1. Band on the Run
2. Plastic Ono Band
3. All things must pass
4. Imagine/Ram
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 10:08:58 AM »

I must be the only one who thinks George Harrison was George's best album.  But I love its warm textures and upbeat vibe, plus the White Album leftover "Not Guilty" and the sense of humor showing through in "Soft-Hearted Hana."  It has a consistent mood that never fails to cheer me up (or down).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nwTVLIIJYI
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 04:57:43 PM by SufferingFools » Logged

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 11:43:26 PM »

I must be the only one who thinks George Harrison was George's best album.  But I love its warm textures and upbeat vibe, plus the White Album leftover "Not Guilty" and the sense of humor showing through in "Soft-Hearted Hana."  It has a consistent mood that never fails to cheer me up (or down).

That might be my favorite after ATMP. ATMP is so massive, it might as well be a catagory of its own. Hard for me to find any fault with Brainwashed, I need to put that one on again.
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 05:36:05 PM »

That might be my favorite after ATMP. ATMP is so massive, it might as well be a catagory of its own. Hard for me to find any fault with Brainwashed, I need to put that one on again.

I like ATMP a lot, but I think its sheer massiveness tends to obscure some flaws.  A couple of tracks George produced without Spector didn't sound that good; a few of the songs are fairly weak for their length; and two massive versions of "Isn't It a Pity" were a lot more dirge than anyone needed.  If the whole thing had been as consistent in quality as Side 3, it would have been perfect.  And then, what exactly to make of Apple Jam?  So I think it's a bit telling that George never gave himself such a large canvas again and pruned his later albums down to the best stuff he had.

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 07:03:48 PM »

I love Apple Jam. Remember how George put the laugh at the end of Within You Without You, because he realized the song was too somber for its message? That is what Apple Jam is to All Things Must Pass. George and friends had a great, joyous time making the record, but what came out was an overwhelmingly heavy, magnum opus. Jam is there to remind George, his friends and the public, for what its worth, that musicmaking can be just pure fun. And the music there, if it was found on some obscure no-name "lost" act's album, would be hailed, Mojo'ed, sampled, posted on blogs and would go for heavy bucks on Ebay. I mean, the groove on Out Of The Blue? That is monstrous. Some of my favorite Clapton guitar playing.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 12:44:34 PM »

I love Apple Jam. Remember how George put the laugh at the end of Within You Without You, because he realized the song was too somber for its message? That is what Apple Jam is to All Things Must Pass. George and friends had a great, joyous time making the record, but what came out was an overwhelmingly heavy, magnum opus. Jam is there to remind George, his friends and the public, for what its worth, that musicmaking can be just pure fun. And the music there, if it was found on some obscure no-name "lost" act's album, would be hailed, Mojo'ed, sampled, posted on blogs and would go for heavy bucks on Ebay. I mean, the groove on Out Of The Blue? That is monstrous. Some of my favorite Clapton guitar playing.
Yeah, it's a great way to wind down after 4 sides of "serious George".
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 04:31:49 PM »

Out of curiosity, am I the only person who thinks that Walls & Bridges is a better Lennon album than Plastic Ono Band?

You are not. WALLS & BRIDGES is about 2 or 3 cuts shy of being a great album, maybe John's answer to BAND ON THE RUN.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 04:34:27 PM »

Paul has done some very good stuff the last 15 years, FLAMING PIE and CHAOS being the gems. John was the most interesting personality in The Beatles but McCartney was ultimately the more interesting musician. In my view anyway.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 05:16:44 PM »

The Beatles core songwriting team is characterized by the 2 C's

Creative and Commerical

For the most part:

Paul is more commercial, that's why even his worst work sells, but is not as acclaimed as John's.
John's is much more creative, and heartfelt.

When they work together, well you have a perfect blend, AKA, the Beatles.

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 11:48:58 AM »

All things Must Pass
Ram
Plastic Ono Band
Red Rose Speedway
Venus & Mars
Goodnight Vienna
Imagine
Band on the Runs
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2013, 06:32:18 AM »

Creative and Commerical

For the most part:

Paul is more commercial, that's why even his worst work sells, but is not as acclaimed as John's.

I've read this a couple of times, and something about it sticks in the craw.

I just don't like dismissing Paul as 'uncreative' when he so obviously writes just for the sake of writing, to the point where his songs are gibberish. I mean, Macca has a song (a top five song, no less) about a doorbell, for christs sake. If anything, John was more considered and meticulous than Paul because he was writing so personally, he had to be.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2013, 06:55:41 AM »

Creative and Commerical

For the most part:

Aside from the last sentence, I absolutely reject this. I know it's the popular line, but it's not any different than the Beatles' version of the various Beach Boys myths many of us spend time debunking around here. I'd argue that most of Paul's solo music is far more creative than John's. They both had the creative-commercial tug of war in them, as does almost any good artist. But Paul was far more experimental musically, or at least his musical experiments tended to be more enjoyable. Whether we're talking McCartney and Ram, or Band on the Run or Red Rose Speedway, or McCartney II, or the brilliant semi-recent Electric Arguments, Paul was often messing around with form, technique, sounds. John, obviously, had moments of brilliance, but I think he was also more in love with traditional rock n roll, so he was hardly pushing the envelope. To say his music was more creative than Paul's? Meh. And John had just as many albums or tracks that sound like a drunk treading water. For whatever reason, people just like saying John was deep and a thinker while Paul was some ditzy popster. I say f*** that, and to paraphrase a certain musical genius, "it's John, it's Paul, it's the bloody Beatles, shut up."

(I didn't mean for you to shut up. Just an Anthology paraphrase...)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2013, 09:04:25 AM »

Creative and Commerical

For the most part:

Aside from the last sentence, I absolutely reject this. I know it's the popular line, but it's not any different than the Beatles' version of the various Beach Boys myths many of us spend time debunking around here. I'd argue that most of Paul's solo music is far more creative than John's. They both had the creative-commercial tug of war in them, as does almost any good artist. But Paul was far more experimental musically, or at least his musical experiments tended to be more enjoyable. Whether we're talking McCartney and Ram, or Band on the Run or Red Rose Speedway, or McCartney II, or the brilliant semi-recent Electric Arguments, Paul was often messing around with form, technique, sounds. John, obviously, had moments of brilliance, but I think he was also more in love with traditional rock n roll, so he was hardly pushing the envelope. To say his music was more creative than Paul's? Meh. And John had just as many albums or tracks that sound like a drunk treading water. For whatever reason, people just like saying John was deep and a thinker while Paul was some ditzy popster. I say f*** that, and to paraphrase a certain musical genius, "it's John, it's Paul, it's the bloody Beatles, shut up."

(I didn't mean for you to shut up. Just an Anthology paraphrase...)

Luther I couldn't agree with you more, and I am a principally a John fan.
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2013, 01:19:28 PM »

Living In The Material World is Georges greatest salbum and I don't think any of Paul or Johns album is better (POB and Ram is just as good, but not better). Be Here Now is almost transcendental.

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2013, 07:14:58 PM »

All Things Must Pass is the best. 'Nuff said.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2013, 07:20:56 PM »

I'd say it's a tie between All Things Must Pass and Walls and Bridges.  I'm glad to see some of George's less-typically-respected albums getting some attention here as well, though.  I myself am quite partial to Thirty-Three and a Third, George Harrison, and Gone Troppo.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2013, 08:28:02 PM »

I'd say it's a tie between All Things Must Pass and Walls and Bridges.  I'm glad to see some of George's less-typically-respected albums getting some attention here as well, though.  I myself am quite partial to Thirty-Three and a Third, George Harrison, and Gone Troppo.
I find George to be the most consistent of the ex-Fabs. There aren't any albums of his I don't like (unless we count the two he released before the breakup). Dark Horse suffers due to his throat problems, but even that one has its moments. Extra Texture is probably his darkest work - Grey Cloudy Lies, World Of Stone, Tired of Midnight Blue, not really much of his uplifting spirituality on that one. John's work varies wildly - Imagine is as good as any Beatles album, but Some Time In New York City is pretty bad. Paul's made some gems like Tug of War and Band on the Run, but also had his share of dogs - Off the Ground, anyone? Ringo is the biggest surprise to me. The 1973 Ringo album is universally acclaimed as his shining moment, but Goodnight Vienna and Rotogravure had some good songs, too. But I think his best albums have been the more recent ones. Time Takes Time from 1992 is solid from start to finish, as is Vertical Man, and I've enjoyed Y Not and Ringo 2012 a lot. His singing has only improved with age, and since he sobered up, he seems to have approached his music with a renewed passion. Of course, none of those albums have sold squat, but it doesn't matter.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2013, 04:18:13 PM »

I own albums by Paul, John, and Ringo. Although familiar with most of ALL THINGS MUST PASS, CLOUD NINE and a few radio hits, I never bought any George product until purchasing his recent LET IT ROLL: SONGS BY____ compilation awhile back. Hearing all that stuff together was - pardon the cliche - a spiritual experience. I had seriously underestimated George Harrison. Why? Hard to say. Kudos to the compilers for including "Cheer Down"!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2013, 06:10:03 PM »

No one's yet mentioned Driving Rain by Paul! I think it's a fantastic album!!!!
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2013, 03:59:33 AM »

I haven't listened to much of their solo discographies, but for me, 'Ram' is not only the best of what I've heard, but also up there with the greatest pop records in my collection. Brilliant stuff.

I also enjoy 'Band on the Run', 'Venus and Mars', 'Back To The Egg', 'Tug of War' and John's songs on 'Double Fantasy' very much.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 04:02:45 AM by Drunken Prophet » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2013, 04:10:19 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:44:44 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2013, 09:01:35 AM »

I haven't listened to much of their solo discographies, but for me, 'Ram' is not only the best of what I've heard, but also up there with the greatest pop records in my collection. Brilliant stuff.

I also enjoy 'Band on the Run', 'Venus and Mars', 'Back To The Egg', 'Tug of War' and John's songs on 'Double Fantasy' very much.
Again, I'm just amazed - and not just maybe - how much praise Ram recieves these days. Back in the day, Paul seemed to be universally reviled for releasing albums of domestic bliss, while John was primal screaming his lungs out. The critics hated pretty much everything Paul did after the Beatles until Band on the Run; and everything after that until Tug of War, which is kind of a forgotten album now.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2013, 10:26:05 AM »

TUG OF WAR is a good one. The title track, "Take It Away", "Wanderlust", "Ballroom Dancing", "Here Today", even "Ebony and Ivory" (in the contest of the LP) are all terrific. Easily Paul's best 80's LP.

Best 70's  Band on the Run
 "     "80's  Tug of War
 "     "90's  Flaming Pie
 "     "00's  Chaos & Creation

Paul's 21st century experimental streak rather admirable.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx