gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 09:18:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Best Beatles Solo Albums.  (Read 20227 times)
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2012, 03:10:37 PM »

What would you consider to be the Best Beatles Solo Albums?

Here are what I considered to be the best IMO:

10. George Harrison- Living In The Material World
09. Ringo Starr- Goodnight Vienna
08. Wings- Red Rose Speedway
07. John Lennon- Mind Games
06. Paul McCartney- McCartney
05. Ringo Starr- Ringo
04. Wings- Band On The Run
03. John Lennon- Imagine
02. George Harrison- All Things Must Pass
01. John Lennon- Plastic Ono Band
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 04:00:16 PM »

My Top 5:

1. Venus and Mars
2. Plastic Ono Band
3. Ram
4. All Things Must Pass
5.Band On The Run

Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:39:27 PM »

1. Band on The Run
2. Plastic Ono Band
3. All Things Must Pass
4. Imagine
5. Cloud Nine
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 11:18:04 PM »

Yoko OnoJohn Lennon/Plastic Ono Band and McCartney II
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 02:22:21 AM »

All Things Must Pass - it's really the best. Cosmic grump searches his soul through truly epic soundscapes. Picked it up in mint condition vinyl for a tenner. Now I can listen to it without those annoying bonus tracks/the crappy Apple Jam. It's so amazing. If I was Paul or John, I'd be so angry at that record. It makes Abbey Road look weak.

Plastic Ono Band - COOKIE

McCartney I and McCartney II: The Sequel

Band On The Run, so long as you accept the songs are meaningless. Then it's rollicking good fun.

As an aside, I'm really feeling George Harrison's solo discography at the moment - why do people slag those records off? Extra Texture has You on it, and then a bunch of amazing soul jams. The rest seem to feel that template too, with varying degrees of success, until Cloud Nine where he f***s it to hang out with Ringo & Eric Clapton (yawn). So annoying the critical consensus craps on those records because he's playing with 'hacks' like Willie Weeks or Billy Preston instead of 'genius superproducer' Jeff Lynne and Eric f***ing Clapton.

I mean, Macca would probably kill for a song like I Can't Stop Thinking About You or The Light That Has Lighted The World, or Wake Up My Love, but no. Not unless Jeff Lynne's producing....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 11:54:16 AM »

I actually like This Guitar Can't Keep From Crying more than While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Very clever than he expressed his bitterness and hurt over how the press treated his tour as a sequel to one of his more critically lauded efforts.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 12:20:23 PM »

10: Vertical Man
9: Chaos & Creation
8: Venus and Mars
7: Somewhere in England (couple of places higher if you add the rejected tracks)
6: Flaming Pie
5: Living in The Material World
4: Imagine
3: Brainwashed
2: Cloud 9
1: All Things Must Pass

Yeah, George is my favourite, how'd you guess? LOL
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 02:50:44 PM »

Nice to see some love out there for Ringo's Vertical Man.  That album is a really nice one!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 03:01:04 PM »

As an aside, I'm really feeling George Harrison's solo discography at the moment - why do people slag those records off? Extra Texture has You on it, and then a bunch of amazing soul jams. The rest seem to feel that template too, with varying degrees of success, until Cloud Nine where he f***s it to hang out with Ringo & Eric Clapton (yawn). So annoying the critical consensus craps on those records because he's playing with 'hacks' like Willie Weeks or Billy Preston instead of 'genius superproducer' Jeff Lynne and Eric f***ing Clapton.

Some EXCELLENT points here, Hypehat.

Re: Extra Texture, I return to that album A LOT.  The song "World of Stone" is simply, incredible, just incredible.  I am just so very very emotionally moved by that song, every time.

And Can't Stop Thinking About You is DY-NA-MITE!

I am actually glad "mostpeople" slag ET and Gone Troppo off.  I like to think of these albums as mysterious, unknown treasures that only I know about.  I have joy in the fact that only I and a few other acolytes appreciate these.

("mostpeople" are idiots)

Also, "Baby Don't Run Away" from Gone Troppo brings me close to tears.  A beautiful song.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 03:08:07 PM »

George always loved Smokey & The Miracles, and started to let it show on his solo records (not so much ATMP, but after that....). I admire that.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 04:51:11 PM »

All Things Must Pass - it's really the best. Cosmic grump searches his soul through truly epic soundscapes. Picked it up in mint condition vinyl for a tenner. Now I can listen to it without those annoying bonus tracks/the crappy Apple Jam. It's so amazing. If I was Paul or John, I'd be so angry at that record. It makes Abbey Road look weak.

Plastic Ono Band - COOKIE

McCartney I and McCartney II: The Sequel

Band On The Run, so long as you accept the songs are meaningless. Then it's rollicking good fun.

I mean, Macca would probably kill for a song like I Can't Stop Thinking About You or The Light That Has Lighted The World, or Wake Up My Love, but no. Not unless Jeff Lynne's producing....

Oh man! So many great songs from George's pre-Cloud Nine run (I still love that one too though)

All of All Things Must Pass
Try Some Buy Some
Give Me Peace
Sue Me Sue You Blues
Simply Shady
Blow Away
Love Comes To Everyone
Beautiful Girl
You
Woman Don't You Cry For Me
This Song
Crackerbox Palace
Not Guilty
Dark Sweet Lady
Here Comes The Moon
Teardrops

All fantastic stuff played with such feeling and anchored by that gorgeous voice and distinct slide guitar from Sr George.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 10:45:44 PM »

Dark Side of the Sun
Band on the Rut
All Things Must Rut
When You Find the Girl of Your Dreams in the Arms of Some Scotsmen From Hull

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 02:47:05 AM »

Nice to see some love out there for Ringo's Vertical Man.  That album is a really nice one!

I think it's Ringo's best album, aside from the needless "Love Me Do" remake, it's pretty strong, some strange choices of guests, but they work well (such as Ozzy Osbourne, who'd have seen that coming?!)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 03:41:52 AM »

McCartney II would be my #1 if you put the 2 b sides and wonderful christmastime on instead of everything on side 2 (except one of these days)

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 12:38:28 AM »

Nice to see some love here for George's solo work. Usually people praise ATMP and leave it at that. Cloud 9 is nice, but I don't think it's his most consistent album. Beyond ATMP, I think Living In the Material World, the 1979 self titled album and (surprise!) Gone Troppo are my favorites...well, I guess I should include Brainwashed, too. That one has real depth in the songwriting. I was disappointed that the cd reissue of Somewhere in England didn't include the rejected tracks - they were among the best songs, especially Sat Singing and Flying Hour. And we can't forget the Traveling Wilburys!
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 01:09:05 PM »

1. Ram
2. Plastic Ono Band
3. All Things Must Pass
4. Back To The Egg
5. London Town
6. Imagine
7. Tug of War
8. Walls and Bridges
9. Off the Ground
10. Somewhere in England

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »

The entire Long Lost Album (John, Paul, George & Ringo) is amazing: aside from Sat Singing & Flying Hour, I also liked Paul's Yvonne & Ringo's take on "I Call Your Name". The electric guitar is cooler than in The Beatles v-n imo. That said, I'm not so keen on Shanghai Surprise.
I'm not familiar with the Long Lost Album, but I do like Ringo's "I Call Your Name". Very Wilburyish.
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 10:06:38 PM »

Out of curiosity, am I the only person who thinks that Walls & Bridges is a better Lennon album than Plastic Ono Band?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 10:14:10 PM »

Out of curiosity, am I the only person who thinks that Walls & Bridges is a better Lennon album than Plastic Ono Band?
I prefer Walls and Bridges, musically POB may be better - and there are parts of it I love - but I find the songs on W&B more relatable. I'd rate Imagine as John's best, though - it's got the message he wanted to get across, but it's got the more commercial sheen to it like a great Beatles album. Mind Games is also underrated.
nickdunning
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 12:46:13 AM »

I prefer Walls and Bridges, musically POB may be better - and there are parts of it I love - but I find the songs on W&B more relatable. I'd rate Imagine as John's best, though - it's got the message he wanted to get across, but it's got the more commercial sheen to it like a great Beatles album. Mind Games is also underrated.

'Walls And Bridges' is hugely under-rated - but to really get how good the songs are you need the second side of 'Menlove Ave' with those wonderful stripped-down rehearsals. John over-egged it in production.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 06:26:20 AM »

John: Walls and Bridges
Paul: RAM
George: All Things Must Pass (but 33 1/3 is great too, in a whole different way)
Ringo: Ringo
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, 09:44:08 AM »

Band on the Run
Ram
McCartney
Live Peace in Toronto

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 09:59:38 AM »

My Top 5

1) All Things Must Pass
2) Plastic Ono Band
3) Band on the Run
4) Ringo
5) Walls and Bridges
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 09:41:40 PM »

Ram
Band On The Run
All Things Must Pass
Plastic Ono Band

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 07:10:55 PM »

At the moment:

1.  Band on the Run
2.  Plastic Ono Band
3.  George Harrison
4.  Ram
5.  Cloud Nine
6.  London Town
7.  Imagine
8.  Venus and Mars
9.  All Things Must Pass