gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681515 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 04:35:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Step inside The Beach Boys' world - Goldmine article  (Read 4190 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2012, 08:23:32 AM »

Haven't seen it posted yet. Saw it on Al's Facebook-site. Interview  by David Beard

http://www.goldminemag.com/article/step-inside-the-beach-boys-world-50-years-in-the-making

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 08:46:51 AM »

JT insisting BW sings the chorus on Shelter.... interesting!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 08:50:37 AM »

The only reason that the first seven songs were eliminated is because he is getting geared up to do a second record, and he saved some of the best stuff for last. There’s some stuff on there that’s just mind-blowing!

I hope it's a Beach Boys album.

Brian: It’s about a couple that like privacy.

Have I mentioned that I love this man?

JT: Brian sings, “I’ll give you shelter from the storm, and a house to keep you warm…”

Sounds like Jeff to me.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 08:58:08 AM »

I'd love for it to be Brian, but my ears tell me that's Jeff, because Brian's falsetto never sounded likethat.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 09:17:39 AM »

I'd love for it to be Brian, but my ears tell me that's Jeff, because Brian's falsetto never sounded likethat.

I know, which is what makes Joe Thomas' dogged peserverance that it's Brian all the more odd.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 09:19:41 AM »

Sure makes you wonder about those unreleased songs that are mind-blowing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 09:44:30 AM »

I think there might be a typo.

It says:
"A lot of people think that’s Jeff, but it’s Brian. That’s Jeff on the high part, but Brian does the lower one on, “Do you still ever think of me?” That’s Mike singing the octave below (on the bottom) with Jeff doing the octave. Brian is answering, “think of me… used to be,” etc."

I think it should read like:

"A lot of people think that’s Jeff, but it’s Brian. That’s Jeff on the high part, but Brian does the lower one . On “Do you still ever think of me?” That’s Mike singing the octave below (on the bottom) with Jeff doing the octave. Brian is answering, “think of me… used to be,” etc."

At least that would make the most sense to me.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 09:48:49 AM »

Is this all old news, rendered even older by the break-up of the band?
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 09:52:29 AM »

I think there might be a typo.

It says:
"A lot of people think that’s Jeff, but it’s Brian. That’s Jeff on the high part, but Brian does the lower one on, “Do you still ever think of me?” That’s Mike singing the octave below (on the bottom) with Jeff doing the octave. Brian is answering, “think of me… used to be,” etc."

I think it should read like:

"A lot of people think that’s Jeff, but it’s Brian. That’s Jeff on the high part, but Brian does the lower one . On “Do you still ever think of me?” That’s Mike singing the octave below (on the bottom) with Jeff doing the octave. Brian is answering, “think of me… used to be,” etc."

At least that would make the most sense to me.

the professor agrees.

here too:  I hope that people think that this was, by any means, the better songs; they’re all equally phenomenal. These are just the appropriate songs for this album.

should read:  I hope that people DO NOT think that (this was) THESE WERE, by any means, the better songs; they’re all equally phenomenal. These are just the appropriate songs for this album.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 12:37:51 PM »

Seem a little odd that JT he had to be told that Smile started with an a capella track  Huh

It would be interesting to hear the original 97/98 demo of TWGMTR, maybe we will see something like that on the MIC box.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 01:10:11 PM »

Is this all old news, rendered even older by the break-up of the band?

Heck, some of the comments here were made back then, too. Holy deja vu, Batman!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 07:18:21 PM »

Seem a little odd that JT he had to be told that Smile started with an a capella track  Huh

Odd but not surprising - Joe Thomas doesn't exactly strike me as much of a Smile fan.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 12:30:00 AM »

Odd but not surprising - Joe Thomas doesn't exactly strike me as much of a Smile fan.

I think I read somewhere he's actually a big fan of the Surf's Up album (IIRC...).
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 08:07:23 AM »

Yeah. I thought at first it was a little weird that he started out with an a cappella thing
You don't say? Only a freak avant-garde lunatic would dare open an album with something that could be called a prologue.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 05:03:19 PM »

Seem a little odd that JT he had to be told that Smile started with an a capella track  Huh

I think I read somewhere he's actually a big fan of the Surf's Up album (IIRC...).

Could be.  I do remember reading it was he that suggested Carnie and Wendy cover "Till I Die" on The Wilsons album  during the time he was working with Brian.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 05:06:55 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »

That quote was in another article over the summer.  When I read that I went back and listened.  Clearly it is Jeff on the falsetto, but it does sound like Brian on "I'll give you " at the start of the chorus, then blends into Foskett for the rest.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 08:09:17 PM »

Big surprise that "Beaches In Mind" was Mike's idea. I was just thinking today. Imagine if he and Brian wrote "Add Some Music" these days. It'd probably be about how one hears music when they are surfin'. It really is a shame that the man can't see that he was a great lyricist at one point, and that includes the surf 'n car stuff. He apparently thinks that's the only worthwhile way to go now though. That or quoting his own stuff.

Everybody knows that portions of this article was in an issue of ESQ from earlier in the year, right?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 08:16:45 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 09:30:17 PM »

Nice article, good times, good times.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 01:52:17 AM »

Big surprise that "Beaches In Mind" was Mike's idea. I was just thinking today. Imagine if he and Brian wrote "Add Some Music" these days. It'd probably be about how one hears music when they are surfin'. It really is a shame that the man can't see that he was a great lyricist at one point, and that includes the surf 'n car stuff. He apparently thinks that's the only worthwhile way to go now though. That or quoting his own stuff.

Your general point still stands, but "Add Some Music" already has terrible lyrics and people still love it.

Please delete my account
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 02:01:41 AM »

Your general point still stands, but "Add Some Music" already has terrible lyrics and people still love it.

Needs a tougher edge, imo. None of this namby pamby dentistry sh*t.

YOU HEAR IT WHEN YOU'RE FUCKING YR BEST FRIENDS WIFE
YOU HEAR IT FAINTLY WHEN YOU'RE SMOKING YOUR CRACK PIPE
YOU'RE SITTING IN THE ELECTRIC CHAIR
AND THEY'VE GOT BEATS FOR YOU THERE
SO ADD SOME MUSIC TO YOUR DAY, MOTHERFUCKER

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 02:41:47 AM »

The interviews with Mike and Brian took place on 3-7-12, Al Jardine 3-14-12, Joe Thomas on 6-18-12 and David Marks was 12-08-11 and 6-25-12. 

Initially these interviews appeared in ESQ the Spring 2012 (issue #95), and the Special Edition of ESQ (issue #97).  I combined all of the interview material for Goldmine.  Let's face it, Goldmine is more well known than ESQ.  Goldmine was published in early September (Issue #819), and the online version was just posted a couple of weeks ago.  It is common practice for Goldmine to wait for the physical content to run its course before they post it online.  Unfortunately, most of the goodwill that the article covers is now gone.

I will say that subscribing to ESQ is well worth it.

As for the guys getting back together in the studio…  You can bet on it. 

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 07:57:22 AM »

The interviews with Mike and Brian took place on 3-7-12, Al Jardine 3-14-12, Joe Thomas on 6-18-12 and David Marks was 12-08-11 and 6-25-12. 

Initially these interviews appeared in ESQ the Spring 2012 (issue #95), and the Special Edition of ESQ (issue #97).  I combined all of the interview material for Goldmine.  Let's face it, Goldmine is more well known than ESQ.  Goldmine was published in early September (Issue #819), and the online version was just posted a couple of weeks ago.  It is common practice for Goldmine to wait for the physical content to run its course before they post it online.  Unfortunately, most of the goodwill that the article covers is now gone.

Ah, wait a minute.  You can't go all AGD on us, David. For those of us that have paid ESQ good money over the years (and still do), details please...

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 08:03:51 AM »

I will say that subscribing to ESQ is well worth it…

Darn, all that journalistic objectivity just went out the window    Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 12:56:46 PM »

Ah, wait a minute.  You can't go all AGD on us, David. For those of us that have paid ESQ good money over the years (and still do), details please...

There are no details right now.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 01:36:54 PM »

Needs a tougher edge, imo. None of this namby pamby dentistry sh*t.

YOU HEAR IT WHEN YOU'RE f***ING YR BEST FRIENDS WIFE
YOU HEAR IT FAINTLY WHEN YOU'RE SMOKING YOUR CRACK PIPE
YOU'RE SITTING IN THE ELECTRIC CHAIR
AND THEY'VE GOT BEATS FOR YOU THERE
SO ADD SOME MUSIC TO YOUR DAY, MOTHERf***ER

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx