gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 10:29:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why So Few Lead Vocals With Al Jardine?  (Read 15234 times)
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2012, 12:53:43 PM »

I was wondering why Al didn't have more lead vocals on TWGMTR as he clearly had the best singing voice of the group.  And that's been the case for a very long time.  Taking nothing away from Mike Love, why wasn't Al given more lead vocals to sing over the years?  If there is another album, I hope Al is given the majority of the leads. 
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 01:06:50 PM »

I was wondering why Al didn't have more lead vocals on TWGMTR as he clearly had the best singing voice of the group.  And that's been the case for a very long time.  Taking nothing away from Mike Love, why wasn't Al given more lead vocals to sing over the years?  If there is another album, I hope Al is given the majority of the leads. 
Honestly, that's kinda the way its always been on BB albums, right? Right now, I'm tryin to the think of what albums have Al featured quite frequently...the Love You album has him on Honkin' Down the Highway, Good Time (kind of a co-lead with Brian, I think), and Love is a Woman (he has some of the lines towards the end)(as a separate but interesting note, there's an unreleased version of Al singing lead on LIAW). Then there's 15 Big Ones, he sings TM Song, Susie Cinci, and parts of A Casual Look. Granted, he does have smaller parts on other songs like Had to Phone Ya, Back Home, and It's OK (I think). MIU, he actually has a lot: Come Go with Me, Peggy Sue, Winds of Change, parts of Kona Coast, and it seems like there's another I'm missing.

So with that in mind, he kinda had a lot more in the 70s but that's about his height, kinda short in areas (yeah, pun intended)  Cheesy

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 03:24:44 PM »

I think, at least around the first few years of his tenure, he wasn't given as much in the way of recorded lead vocals because he covered most of Brian's songs in concert, which made it all balance out in some ways.  Over time, I guess that's just how things "went" when putting an album together; maybe like a "quota" of sorts.  I don't know...obviously. Smiley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 03:56:09 PM »

Brian leads = "BRIAN'S BACK!"
Al leads = "this song is good, but I bet they put Brian's name on this but he had nothing to do with writing the song. I doubt he's even on the recording."

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 04:38:14 PM »

As great as Al sounds, I think it just comes down to the fact that The Beach Boys "lead singers" were/are: Mike, Brian, and Carl. In the beginning, say, from Surfin' Safari to Pet Sounds, you were most likely to hear a Brian or Mike lead with an occasional Dennis lead, and very rarely maybe Carl or Al. Then during Smiley Smile through Friends you had Carl stepping up to the plate, with Mike and Brian still having their share. From 20/20 through Holland things got much more spread out, with Dennis and Carl very much having lead parts, with Brian and Mike still around, and the Al vocal here and there, depending on the album. After "Brian's Back", Brian made a bit of a resurgence as far as lead vocals, with Carl also leading the way. As Brian vocally kinda disappeared on L.A. (Light Album) and Keepin' The Summer Alive, Carl and Mike kinda became the co-frontmen, and things basically stayed that way until Carl died. Carl took Brian's place from the early days, as far as having that lovely high, yet commercial voice to go along with Mike's nasal, rock and roll kinda thing.

So anyways, leading back into TWGMTR, I think the group tried to go back to being the "classic" Beach Boys, with Brian Wilson producing, and Brian and Mike singing most of the leads, a la Pet Sounds and most of the stuff from before that. I think that's just the way history has played out. Carl and Mike were the '80s and on "lead guys", and especially without Carl up front, Brian's basically had no choice but to step back into that role that Carl took over in the late '60s. And Al just remained Al, doing his part, probably wishing for more (both vocally and artistically). He's in an odd place. He's basically considered an original, but with less clout than the obvious leader (Brian Wilson) and less clout than the main singer (Mike Love). And he is part of BRI, which puts him ahead of Bruce Johnston and David Marks, which I'm sure also contributes to the fact that Al is featured more vocally on the album than Bruce.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:40:27 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 05:51:46 PM »

I think part of it is that Al sang so many of Brian's parts live, even when Brian was there in later years even though he didn't have as many leads on albums. Al lost out on some leads in 2012 because Brian was there and he was singing a lot of the stuff Al would sing. Awesome to have Brian do them don't get me wrong, but also disappointing cause you missed some Al leads.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 06:35:11 PM »

I guess the question that should be asked here is...what tunes in the BB canon does anyone think would be better if Al had sung lead?

The brilliance of having Al in the band was that he could blend in so well, which made it possible for Brian to create differing vocal textures by using Al (and, to a lesser extent, all the others) in various locations.

It strikes me that one of the reasons why Brian gave Al the lead on "Help Me Rhonda" was to boost him into a position of greater prominence. He my have wanted to boost his confidence because he knew that Al would need to do more leads in the live shows. There seems to be some subtext in the infamous "Murry" tape that makes me think that Al was more deferential about his position in the band in the early days, being (until Bruce came in) the lone "non-family" member. It seemed that everyone was supporting someone who hadn't quite the same level of confidence (even Murry, in the midst of his strange behavior, is being supportive).  As other posters have noted, when Brian went into his post-Smile tailspin it was Carl who stepped up to take his place, evolving quickly into a singer with an incredibly diverse range.

I always get the sense that Brian has done a really good job of knowing when Al is best matched to a song in terms of being the lead singer. That extends right up to the present. As Al began to write his own material, he found his own voice, and he's a lot more playful and relaxed with his later leads than he was in the 60s.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 06:52:52 PM »

Since Brian was producer and bandleader, I guess he didn't groove on Al's voice for leads so much.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 06:55:53 PM »

Al had quite a few leads on Post Card to California  Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 07:07:57 PM »

Okay, I've just had my mind blown.  Al shares some of the lead on "Good Time"??  I always thought it was all Brian.  Is that Al on the choruses?  Please fill me in.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 07:11:27 PM »

That's a really good question.

You don't really notice how few leads Al had until you think about it.

He killed every lead he got though, what a voice.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 10:25:08 PM »

Al's voice works best when given the right material.  He can knock a "Help Me Rhonda" or "Cottonfields" out of the ballpark, but I prefer his lead vocals in small doses.  His singing voice is kind of on the "plain" side, and it doesn't work well for all kinds of music.  But I agree his vocals have held up better than the rest of the group.  And for what it's worth, he got to sing lead on the best song off of TWGMTR.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 04:29:03 AM »

And for what it's worth, he got to sing lead on the best song off of TWGMTR.

Spring Vacation?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 08:43:09 AM »

Okay, I've just had my mind blown.  Al shares some of the lead on "Good Time"??  I always thought it was all Brian.  Is that Al on the choruses?  Please fill me in.

The lead of "Good Time" is Brian. No Alan.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 09:22:13 AM »

I mean, Al's so unassuming he doesn't even get all of the leads on his solo album!

The nice thing about From There To Back Again was that Brian was reportedly so chuffed with the way Al sang the first line, that he got him to record the second. And then the third.... until he'd sang the entire front section!

(can't remember where I read that!)

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 10:50:53 AM »

I guess the question that should be asked here is...what tunes in the BB canon does anyone think would be better if Al had sung lead?

I think he'd have done a better job on the lead vocal of "Isn't It Time" and perhaps some other songs on That's Why God Made the Radio than Brian did.  On a somewhat related topic, I was wondering why Bruce didn't get any lead vocals on That's Why God Made the Radio.  In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Bruce has never had a lead vocal on a song that Brian was the primary songwriter of (since Bruce was the primary writer of "Deirdre" and I think Al was the primary writer of "At My Window").
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 01:03:11 PM »

If there is to be another album, let's hope that Al gets most of the lead singing chores.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 03:58:31 PM »

Al sounds amazing now. He really should get more leads on any future recordings because his voice is the best of all of them at the present time.  He blends so well on the harmonies, too, because he sounds similar to a Wilson, with a brighter edge.  Yet he has his own unique sound that is a Beach Boys' signature.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 04:03:09 AM »

Why so few ?  They kept losing the box.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 09:01:51 PM »

Why so few ?  They kept losing the box.

Al Jardine, the Alan Ladd of pop music.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 01:07:12 AM »

California Saga: California
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 10:03:45 AM »

Mike had to sing lead. California is both nostalgic and contemporary at the same time, lose Mike's lead (and the California Girls bassline) and you've got a completely different song.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 09:42:12 PM »

I think Al should have rang Heroes with the more upbeat 70s live arrangement on the tour. Brian`s the man, but in 2012 Al just sounds better.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 10:34:09 PM »

Yeah, but that's such a classic Mike Love lead on the record. SOOOOOO Beach Boys.

This is the great thing about these guys. It never seemed to be an ego thing about who had the BEST voice, but rather who worked best for the song. Even Mike, for all his legendary Myke Luhv-ness, was not above singing "Bad luck, no more" over and over again on Celebrate The News. I think, in the end, Al worked out as mainly a utility type of guy and provided that great and VERY Beach Boys strength in the harmony blend. I think it's pretty inarguable that Al had the strongest voice. I don't mean the best voice, but the one with the most consistent tone, timber, attack. He created a firm and powerful foundation for the more expressive and emotional voices to join themselves to.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 09:53:57 AM »

And for what it's worth, he got to sing lead on the best song off of TWGMTR.

Spring Vacation?

He said "best" tho.

Yeah, but that's such a classic Mike Love lead on the record. SOOOOOO Beach Boys.

This is the great thing about these guys. It never seemed to be an ego thing about who had the BEST voice, but rather who worked best for the song.

Mmmh i think i like more Al on Californ-i-a and since Mike Love got so much leads.. but that is actually very true, i guess why we never got a Carl or Dennis version of Sail On Sailor because it probably just didn't work or fit the song, and that in the end Blondie was da man.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx