gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:15:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys scored a Grammy nomination.  (Read 23130 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2012, 04:12:09 PM »

Well, c'mon now....this is common sense. If tweens and teens were idolising and crushing on the (60+ and 70 year old) Beach Boys, it would would be a bit wierd. You've got to see this, yes? In this generation, there is room for teenagers people to like all kinds of music, so don't worry that fun. is more popular than the Beach Boys with your peers in 2012, because that's exactly how it should be.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2012, 06:27:14 PM »

It's the music that lasts that matters..

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2012, 06:38:35 PM »

Actually, I always thought what matters is what sounded good to you.

Which means that award-winning, not award-winning, top selling, popular, under-performing, mainstream, alternative, underground, hard rockin', soft, light, critically acclaimed, natural, authentic, has longevity, is original, traditional, simple, complex, deep, difficult, challenging, etc. are all meaningless terms in evaluating music.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 06:47:56 PM by rockandroll » Logged
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2012, 06:53:08 PM »

S'hope not. Even Macca would likely vote for TSS
What he said.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2012, 07:22:09 PM »

That's a good point, you can spend forever debating what's good and what's not, but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is what sounds good to the listener

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2012, 09:24:45 PM »

That's a good point, you can spend forever debating what's good and what's not, but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is what sounds good to the listener
Amen!! Afro
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2012, 02:15:43 AM »

wut

Sorry, I should clarify:

Mumford & Sons are fetid, limp swine with pretensions of 'worthiness' and 'realness' that is absolutely insulting to anyone with an ounce of sense. City boy piss-streaks singing about hoedowns and Jesus. I really hate them.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2012, 02:29:16 AM »

I wish Bob Dylan and the Band circa "The Basement Tapes" era would teach them how its done.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2012, 03:09:22 AM »

Amen!! Afro

I begrudgingly agree.... but Mumford & Sons?!  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2012, 03:38:42 AM »

I clairify, I can stand them, I never said I actually enjoy them on a daily basis.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2012, 03:41:00 AM »

I clairify, I can stand them, I never said I actually enjoy them on a daily basis.

No beef meant, man. Do try that Fun. album, mind - it's pretty much a forgotten 70's Queen/Elton album.

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2012, 03:35:40 PM »

Well, I dare say there wasn't quality stuff on The Beatles' SPLHCB but it won 4 nominations, including "The Record of The Year". And to me, the album didn't even deserve to be nominated. What will you say to this?

I would say that you're now no longer in a position to speak on this issue with any degree of credibility.
QFT.  Well said, rockandroll.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2012, 04:53:08 PM »

I think the bulk of Sgt Pepper is so good it makes the songs that are just good look bad.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2012, 05:02:12 PM »

No beef meant, man. Do try that Fun. album, mind - it's pretty much a forgotten 70's Queen/Elton album.

I love you, hypehat, but I don't hear it. Not that I dislike fun., it's just that I'm not a big fan of the new album and the track I really liked, "Carry Me Home", was overplayed to bits here and I can't stand it now. Now, American radio has taken to "Some Nights" and playing that to death, too.

Their first album has some nice ones on it, though.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2012, 07:50:32 PM »

You know, I am biased, but I truly love Woody Guthrie and the Ram album. But I really think that the Grammy voters are very well aware The Beach Boys as a group have never won a Grammy. They worked their butts of on Smile and I think the voters might see this as the last chance to honor the living Beach Boys with a Grammy.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2012, 07:56:18 PM »

You know, I am biased, but I truly love Woody Guthrie and the Ram album. But I really think that the Grammy voters are very well aware The Beach Boys as a group have never won a Grammy. They worked their butts of on Smile and I think the voters might see this as the last chance to honor the living Beach Boys with a Grammy.
I sure hope so.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2012, 08:18:29 PM »

I sure hope so.

we'll all hope they win!  But if they don't, we should all band together and make  it a point to wipe the scurvy off the face of the earth for voting wrongly.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2012, 08:31:14 PM »

At the same time I wouldn't want to see the Beach Boys get the award because it was felt they were owed something because they never won, or it was something other than the merits of the project which was nominated which won the award. I don't like sympathy votes, or when awards committees feel they owe it to someone to give the award. As much as I really, really enjoy Ray Charles, someone mentioned earlier an award given just after he died and it left folks feeling like he got it because he had just passed. And that wasn't fair to Ray's legacy or to the other nominees who may have won (*may* is the operative word) had a death not been a recent factor.

In my own warped pop-culture saturated mind, I call this "The Paul Newman Effect". He was positively brilliant, as good as an American actor can be, in more than one of my favorite films. Most notably "The Verdict" (one of the best performances I have ever seen in a film...), "Rachel Rachel"(as director) "Cool Hand Luke" "Butch Cassidy..." and especially "The Hustler", where he was incredible, as Fast Eddie one of the best characters he ever brought to life. He eventually won an Oscar for "The Color Of Money", playing that same character 25 years later, and I still feel it was giving a good but not great performance a make-up vote because they missed the mark the first time around. So Newman won, but I never thought the reprisal of his role deserved that win.

The Smile Sessions deserves a win because it was a terrific box set, in many ways. It should have been given the nod in more than one category, in my opinion. I don't want the Beach Boys to get Paul Newman-ed to win one, though. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:54:03 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2012, 09:47:40 PM »

It's not like the Grammys haven't honored the Beach Boys.  They've given them a lifetime achievement award, several Hall of Fame inductions, Brian got an award for "Fire," and if The Smile Sessions does win, Brian and the compilation producers are the only ones who pick up the awards anyhow.  I'm not saying they shouldn't win but if they do win, I don't think it would because of sympathy.  And even if it was, who cares?  It's an obscure category, one that is only announced before the television broadcast, but it would be lovely to see it win because it's a great set and The Beach Boys deserve some recognition for what they've given us these last couple of years.

Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2012, 05:50:12 AM »

Most notably "The Verdict" (one of the best performances I have ever seen in a film...), "Rachel Rachel"(as director) "Cool Hand Luke" "Butch Cassidy..." and especially "The Hustler",

Don't forget "Hud" Craig - another stunning one. I agree about "The Verdict."

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2012, 08:35:06 AM »

I don't want the Beach Boys to get Paul Newman-ed to win one, though. Smiley

Or John Wayne-ed or Al Pacino-ed. Some days I can't believe they actually did give De Niro the nod for his greatest performance. Probably because they gave him a supporting actor nod early on.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2012, 10:28:21 AM »

wut

Sorry, I should clarify:

Mumford & Sons are fetid, limp swine with pretensions of 'worthiness' and 'realness' that is absolutely insulting to anyone with an ounce of sense. City boy piss-streaks singing about hoedowns and Jesus. I really hate them.

NAILED IT!!!!!!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2012, 02:49:34 PM »

I didn't say I liked them, just their sound Razz haha

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 14, 2012, 03:12:14 AM »

I love you, hypehat, but I don't hear it. Not that I dislike fun., it's just that I'm not a big fan of the new album and the track I really liked, "Carry Me Home", was overplayed to bits here and I can't stand it now. Now, American radio has taken to "Some Nights" and playing that to death, too.

Their first album has some nice ones on it, though.

The first albums a bit better, that's true. Also, I barely listen to the radio and don't go to the mainstream clubs (hipster4lyf) so if they were a big hit over here I didn't know. I was just surprised by a mainstream pop record being that good - I've kept trying with popstars albums and they have been consistently disappointing this year, so it was a nice surprise.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2012, 03:45:05 AM »

I listen to anything that's on classic rock radio, I've never liked modern production, which makes me prejudice towards all modern "pop"

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx