-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:14:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Comedy
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Comedy  (Read 22406 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 05:06:21 PM »

They were parodies?

All this time I thought they were just lousy LOL
You don't like them? They are amazing when "relaxing" Cool Guy.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 05:21:47 PM »

They were parodies?

All this time I thought they were just lousy LOL
You don't like them? They are amazing when "relaxing" Cool Guy.

Seriously! They're fantastic!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 05:38:42 PM »

I need to see them again, as my tastes have changed greatly in the past twenty years

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 05:52:44 PM »

The Christopher Guest improv movies are great too starting with This Is Spinal Tap through to Waiting for Guffman and Best in Show. I'm pretty sure Arrested Development got their vibe from them.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 08:02:30 PM »

Samuel Johnson
HL Mencken
Laurence Sterne
The Marx Brothers
Jerry Lewis
Brian Wilson
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 08:03:37 PM by Fishmonk » Logged

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2012, 08:25:38 PM »

Just got through watching the episode of American Dad where Steve tried to befriend a feral cat that he accidently caused to get run over...man...that show happens to be the funniest show on TV.

I end up watching a lot of Cartoon Network with my daughter, and The Amazing World of Gumball and the current incarnation of Looney Tunes happen to be funny as hell as well.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2012, 03:22:21 AM »

Samuel Johnson
HL Mencken
Laurence Sterne
The Marx Brothers
Jerry Lewis
Brian Wilson
HL Mencken was great with the toilet hoax.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2012, 04:05:20 AM »

Oh God, Airplane was funny as hell. sh*t HITS THE FAN

LOL "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue."

Such a great film!

I just want to tell you both Good Luck, we're all counting on you....

Brit Comedy - Monty Python, Spike Milligan, and The Goon Show probably gave me my odd sense of humour when I was a kid. The Goodies, Blackadder (I think my favourite is III because Hugh Laurie is so amazing), A Bit of Fry & Laurie... probably tonnes more.
The current stand-up craze is pissing me off, tho. Seemed I couldn't go for a pint in London without encountering a 'comedy' night featuring lazy homophobia/racism/sexism from some amateur d*ckhead who is the victim of some cruel practical joke where their friends said 'You know, you should do standup' with sh*t-eating grins on their faces. It's either that or 'let me recount a boring life experience with slides'. I do enjoy GOOD standup, but the amateur stuff just reeks of desperation.

American - Anyone been watching It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia? My favourite atm. As for all timers, Steven Wright, Cheers (again, a childhood lunchtime stand-by - it's so well crafted/dumb and warm), Steve Martin - The Jerk has the greatest opening line of any film ever - Mel Brooks' golden  period (anything before Space Balls in my warped chronology, in other words). Groucho. Again, probably a lot more.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2012, 07:11:14 AM »

Don Rickles
Gilligan's Island
Mystery Science Theater 3000 ('Mitchell')

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2012, 07:41:36 AM »

Don Rickles
Gilligan's Island
Mystery Science Theater 3000 ('Mitchell')
don rickles is the man LOL

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2012, 12:14:18 PM »

Samuel Johnson
HL Mencken
Laurence Sterne
The Marx Brothers
Jerry Lewis
Brian Wilson

Brian certainly never disappoints in the comedy department...
Paulos
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2012, 12:25:13 PM »

Oh God, Airplane was funny as hell. sh*t HITS THE FAN

LOL "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue."

Such a great film!

I just want to tell you both Good Luck, we're all counting on you....

Brit Comedy - Monty Python, Spike Milligan, and The Goon Show probably gave me my odd sense of humour when I was a kid. The Goodies, Blackadder (I think my favourite is III because Hugh Laurie is so amazing), A Bit of Fry & Laurie... probably tonnes more.
The current stand-up craze is pissing me off, tho. Seemed I couldn't go for a pint in London without encountering a 'comedy' night featuring lazy homophobia/racism/sexism from some amateur skull of Dick Reising who is the victim of some cruel practical joke where their friends said 'You know, you should do standup' with sh*t-eating grins on their faces. It's either that or 'let me recount a boring life experience with slides'. I do enjoy GOOD standup, but the amateur stuff just reeks of desperation.

American - Anyone been watching It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia? My favourite atm. As for all timers, Steven Wright, Cheers (again, a childhood lunchtime stand-by - it's so well crafted/dumb and warm), Steve Martin - The Jerk has the greatest opening line of any film ever - Mel Brooks' golden  period (anything before Space Balls in my warped chronology, in other words). Groucho. Again, probably a lot more.

Recently started to watch IASIP, really liking it so far, also just started watching Community after hearing many glowing reviews and really digging that too.
Paulos
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2012, 12:27:31 PM »

Just got through watching the episode of American Dad where Steve tried to befriend a feral cat that he accidently caused to get run over...man...that show happens to be the funniest show on TV.

I end up watching a lot of Cartoon Network with my daughter, and The Amazing World of Gumball and the current incarnation of Looney Tunes happen to be funny as hell as well.

American Dad is fantastic, it's much funnier than Family Guy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2012, 04:10:26 PM »

100% agreed

halblaineisgood
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2012, 11:06:22 PM »

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:25:58 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2012, 12:20:01 AM »

In no particular order:

The "Masters"(1900's-1940's-ish)

The Keystone Kops
Charlie Chaplin
Buster Keaton
Fatty Arbuckle
Harry Langdon
Larry Semon
Snub Pollard
Harold Lloyd
Laurel and Hardy
Jimmy Finlayson(possibly the greatest straight man to ever live)
The Marx Brothers/Groucho Marx(possibly the greatest comedian to ever live)
The Three Stooges
Abbot and Costello

The "Second Generation"(1940's-ish to the 1970's-ish)
Martin and Lewis
Jerry Lewis(he deserves to be counted on his own)
Bill Cosby
Foster Brooks
Robin Williams
Richard Pryor
George Carlin
Redd Foxx

"Modern day comics"(1980's to today
Mitch Hedberg
Kevin James
Adam Sandler
Chris Farley
The Eric charactor on Boy Meets World
Bob Saget

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2012, 01:33:15 AM »

I tend to like absurdity and farces, with the occasional dose of "important' comedy. 60s Batman, Woody Allen's What's Up Tigerlily?, Mel Brooks-including Spaceballs and Dracula: Dead and Loving It, Airplane/Top Secret/Naked Gun/Hot Shots, Judd Apatow's stuff (F&G, Undeclared, all his movies-esp. Superbad and Walk Hard), every stupid Will Ferrell movie, those two intelligent Will Ferrel movies (Stranger than Fiction, Everything Must Go) Monty Python, Futurama, South Park, Sandler is great in those very rare occasions when he steps out of his cliched formula (Funny People, Punch-Drunk Love), Borat/Bruno, first two Austin Powers movies, Kevin Smith, Tina Fey/Amy Poehler/Kristen Wiig, Tarantino if Pulp Fiction counts as a comedy-I've laughed my ass off to that movie, how twisted is that?

A little Carlin, Maher, David Cross, Bill Hicks every now and then.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2012, 05:44:47 AM »

WC Fields is very funny. Cool

halblaineisgood
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2012, 02:57:01 PM »

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:26:32 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
MBE
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 04:18:10 AM »

I like a lot of comedy, it's really hard to narrow it down. All six Three Stooges still make me laugh a lot. Chappelle was great. All sorts of shows and movies I find funny. The original Porky's is good. Currently I like the U.K Inbetweeners a lot. Hot Seat with Wally George was hysterical. Three's Company and Man About The House was funny, early All In The Family and early Happy Days was cool. Seinfeld was a good show. Curb was good too. I liked The Office a lot US and UK though the former lost a lot after Jim and Pam married. Impratical Jokers is darn good. John Belushi was good. Richard Pryor could be very good. Young Eddie Murphy was fun. Jeannie and Bewitched are fun. Abbot and Costello, The Little Rascals, Dr. Dirty-John Valby, Weird All, Conan. I like the Richard Lester Beatles and John Lennon movie. Superman III was funny too of Lester's. My tastes are weird I guess.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2013, 06:35:55 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:00:40 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2013, 06:46:01 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:01:02 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2013, 07:22:21 PM »

Norm Macdonald's Weekend Updates from the 94-95 season. Netflix.

Damn straight. As you can see in my OP, he's one of my all-time favourites. Have you seen his new video podcast?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2013, 08:23:42 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:37:19 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2013, 06:39:23 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:37:33 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: