gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 09:51:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Insignificant questions that dont deserve threadsgeneral music edition  (Read 20724 times)
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2016, 10:30:09 PM »

Super random, but...

What do you guys think about Demi Lovato?

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2016, 10:51:05 PM »

Super random, but...

I've grown fond of her in my dotage.
KDS
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2016, 05:33:10 AM »

Super random, but...

A bit of an over-singer. 
halblaineisgood
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2016, 02:57:03 PM »

Ilost my laptop. I don't know where to get another program that will save mp3's to mono.
batch convert trout to mono.    anybodydo this youll be my friend through the postal service. forefeit your privacy i send chocolates   I want to listen to something ill enjoy but not enjoy in a way so as that ill be able to sing  or do anything *along* with it other than live comfortably, comfortable about nothing other the pleasure of trout.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2016, 04:03:48 PM »

Ilost my laptop. I don't know where to get another program that will save mp3's to mono.
batch convert trout to mono.    anybodydo this youll be my friend through the postal service. forefeit your privacy i send chocolates   I want to listen to something ill enjoy but not enjoy in a way so as that ill be able to sing  or do anything *along* with it other than live comfortably, comfortable about nothing other the pleasure of trout.

Hal, why in God's name would you want a mono fold down of Trout Mask Replica
halblaineisgood
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2016, 06:46:26 PM »

Ugh. I included that reasoning in orgi. post. My space bar decided it was the thing that should not be, and my other keys of decreased finesse             misspelled what probably wouldn't have beeen infiniti space bar'red into eternty...ugh...

cause i have only one big speaker. One small okay speaker. Dual Mono power amp.                                Reallyannoying to listen to stereo records without matched pair of speakers there is no eq-ing /knob twiddling- in order to compensate 4                                              the shittiness of one of your speakers....and uhh i drove all the way to st louis (park) at                                                    daddyt bird revocation privileges speed in order to minimize my distress in the event I become mired in unfamiliar west metro infrastructure.*killed it*  Ipreferto listen into my mixer  my phono plug to 1/4 inch jack plugs that make this possible are missing ohyeah ou .....you lost itl  okay. 

I asked needle doctor for hono plug to quarter inch mono jack adapater. i        askedthem if they know radio shacks ,if they all gone? they recommend some store promising sounding, but even further into the leisure ly , beautiful                                                            1strign.....,....septuple infity ring west metro burishness. heall like you Mound Music. Way outder

halblaineisgood
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2016, 06:48:45 PM »

Ugh. I included that reasoning in orgi. post. My space bar decided it was the thing that should not be, and my other keys of decreased finesse             misspelled what probably wouldn't have beeen infiniti space bar'red into eternty...ugh...

cause i have only one big speaker. One small okay speaker. Dual Mono power amp.                                Reallyannoying to listen to stereo records without matched pair of speakers there is no eq-ing /knob twiddling- in order to compensate 4                                              the shittiness of one of your speakers....and uhh i drove all the way to st louis (park) at                                                    daddyt bird revocation privileges speed in order to minimize my distress in the event I become mired in unfamiliar west metro infrastructure.*killed it*  Ipreferto listen into my mixer  my phono plug to 1/4 inch jack plugs that make this possible are missing ohyeah ou .....you lost itl  okay. 

I asked needle doctor for hono plug to quarter inch mono jack adapater. i        askedthem if they know radio shacks ,if they all gone? they recommend some store promising sounding, but even further into the leisure ly , beautiful                                                            1strign.....,....septuple infity ring west metro burishness. heall like you Mound Music. Way outder

Iwant to hear it loud. but dont have hardware to convert stereo source signals to mono.                                                        amp and speak is the quipment to listen in mono. no matter.  as time's gone by, the record tempo of the music's fell...
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2016, 10:28:22 AM »

Don't want to start a thread because not sure many people here have interest, but RIP Malik Taylor/Phife Dawg.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2016, 10:53:33 AM »

Don't want to start a thread because not sure many people here have interest, but RIP Malik Taylor/Phife Dawg.

Just saw the NYT obit & was thinking of post. Really sad, and a bigger figure in music to me than 75% of the people in RIP threads here. (No disrespect intended, just a fact.) Part of one of the key groups of the past 25 years.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2016, 11:12:27 AM »

agreed. That era of hip hop was paradigm changing.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2016, 11:28:54 AM »

My son used to watch a thing called Yo! MTV Raps and A Tribe Called Quest were often on there. Forty-five is no age to die...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71ubKHzujy8

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2016, 11:40:16 AM »

Cry
Phife Dawg is my favorite
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2016, 05:51:36 AM »

The band I play keyboard in has decided to take on Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer". All well and good----nothing like a decent skullcruncher to keep your audience on their toes----but there's the matter of that Fairlight shakuhachi arpeggio. Apart from the business of getting a sound to approximate it, there are the notes to consider. One website claimed that "it's just 5 different tones required, we play it in Eb major, it goes like this Ab-Db-Eb-Eb(8va) --- Ab-Gb-Ab-Eb". H'mm.
I'll find a solution, no doubt about that, but I was just wondering if anyone here has anything to say on the subject.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2016, 09:43:37 PM »

Super random, but...

Extremely underrated, and MUCH better live than on disc.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sjöman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2016, 01:07:43 AM »

"Sledgehammer" ... Fairlight shakuhachi ... wondering if anyone here has anything to say ...

I don't, but you could ask Andy Ascolese of the Band Geeks.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:10:34 AM by Sjöman » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2016, 02:54:11 AM »

"Sledgehammer" ... Fairlight shakuhachi ... wondering if anyone here has anything to say ...

I don't, but you could ask Andy Ascolese of the Band Geeks.

Thanks a lot, Sjöman. Most interesting! The Band Geeks play it in the original E flat. Our singer can't sing that high so we've had to compromise and play it in C. It's lost a lot of its impact along the way but that's show business...

As it happens, I've managed to sort out the flute flourish. I even coaxed a shakuhachi sound out of my Nord (sheer luck, I suspect).   

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2017, 01:25:07 PM »

What do the backing vocals say in Almost Grown?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2017, 02:15:42 AM »

Hi, Ovi. Chuck's "Almost Grown"? It's just nonsense syllables. The "lah-doo-day" bit found its way onto "The Little Girl I Once Knew"...

According to wikipedia, "[t]he background vocals on Berry's recording are by Etta James and Harvey & the New Moonglows, featuring the young Marvin Gaye."   

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2017, 03:42:58 AM »

Hi, Ovi. Chuck's "Almost Grown"? It's just nonsense syllables. The "lah-doo-day" bit found its way onto "The Little Girl I Once Knew"...

According to wikipedia, "[t]he background vocals on Berry's recording are by Etta James and Harvey & the New Moonglows, featuring the young Marvin Gaye."   

Yeah, thought so. Though they always sounded a bit like "night and day" and I was wondering.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2017, 01:35:42 AM »

I've been pondering the upper register leap in the background vocals of some sixties songs. Earl-Jean's "I'm Into Something Good" will do as an example (first at 0:23):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5-Sg_JJgQ4

Another occurs just before the tag of the Shangs' "Leader Of The Pack" and a third (if slightly more elaborate) during the tag of The Ronettes' "(The Best Part Of) Breakin' Up"...

Whenever I hear that effect at the end of "At My Window" I find myself thinking "Hey, they're imitating their earlier selves". Maybe that's because of the similar effect in the bridge of "Back In The U.S.S.R."...

Did the BB do it first? Or did it come from the NYGG or doo wop scene?

Just thinking out loud here...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 03:57:26 AM by JK » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2018, 08:26:52 AM »

There's another great track I've heard a couple of times recently and can't identify but I'm sure it's been a hit so it's only obscure to me. Grin

It has a bit of a Mink Deville sound to it (not that I'm that familiar with their stuff) with a low lead voice and this instrumental section with a high melodic, Moorish-sounding guitar line which, if the song were to be in B minor, is shaped thus (upper case is ascending and LOWER CASE descending):

B______ A# b c# d C#__ (B A#) b______

The notes in (brackets) are short.

Sound familiar to anyone?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2018, 05:37:36 PM »

Checking music in computer, you see many songs with stupid/ bizarre titles - various namby pambys, shang a langs, hanky pankys, who planted torns in miss alice's gardens, diddy wah diddys, apothecary dreams, the upper left hand corner of the skys, geometry alleys, algebra spaghettis.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2018, 06:35:42 PM »

LOL!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2018, 02:05:51 AM »

Checking music in computer, you see many songs with stupid/ bizarre titles - various namby pambys, shang a langs, hanky pankys, who planted torns in miss alice's gardens, diddy wah diddys, apothecary dreams, the upper left hand corner of the skys, geometry alleys, algebra spaghettis.

LOL LOL LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx