gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681102 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 02:01:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 212465 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #600 on: January 25, 2013, 01:04:30 AM »

With maybe the exception of 20/20, Brian and his music was The Beach Boys' musical direction. As Brian lost his way, so did the band and it's (sic!) musical focus.

Yeah, but that's because before it was one person telling everybody what to do. Then it was a bunch of creative guys all desiring to have some input. No wonder it was several directions at a time, if that's what you call losing musical focus.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: January 25, 2013, 03:04:02 AM »

I think Brian is keener to have hit albums than anyone else so would be the last person who would want to release uncommercial music.

That's true but Brian has been out of touch with what make a commercial hit for 40 years or so.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 25, 2013, 04:12:57 AM »

With maybe the exception of 20/20, Brian and his music was The Beach Boys' musical direction. As Brian lost his way, so did the band and it's (sic!) musical focus.

Yeah, but that's because before it was one person telling everybody what to do. Then it was a bunch of creative guys all desiring to have some input. No wonder it was several directions at a time, if that's what you call losing musical focus.
Yep, that's what it was, and that's what I call it. When Brian was on top of his game, they had the success that defined their career.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #603 on: January 25, 2013, 10:49:55 AM »

[...] Dennis is by common consent the second great songwriter in the band after Brian [...].
No, he is not.  Brow I love about 97,5% of Denny's stuff (BBs + solo) to death (!), but - as William Bowe already pointed out - it's Mike who was one of the 2 principal songwriters of most of the early/mid-60's stuff that made them popular and receive critical acclaim. Something that has carried on until today/recently. A status quo that allowed Denny to evolve as a songwriter in the first place. He was very much aware of that himself (especially towards Brian), albeit not being a huge fan of Mike most of his life. But I strongly suspect he respected Mike professionally for cranking out all those singles that provided him with tons of dough.

And just in case this is a "quality over quantity" argument: yeah, Denny wrote a number of really great songs - but Mike did, too. I don't know who would want to count Denny's greatest songs against Mike's greatest songs. That'd be ridiculous. Also, the result might suprise.

Lyricist - yes, absolutely. Songwriter - not particuarly. If we're talking in terms of the general critical consensus, I'd say Dennis is comfortably the second great songwriter in the band.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #604 on: January 25, 2013, 10:56:56 AM »

I think Brian is keener to have hit albums than anyone else so would be the last person who would want to release uncommercial music.

That's true but Brian has been out of touch with what make a commercial hit for 40 years or so.

Probably because he quit listening to new music decades ago, and is stuck in the 50s and 60s as far as tastes. I've always been of the belief that the moment you quit listening to new things is the moment you quit growing as a songwriter and artist.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 25, 2013, 11:00:29 AM »

Aww c'mon now, he loves Kenny G!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #606 on: January 25, 2013, 11:59:34 AM »

That explains a lot LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #607 on: January 25, 2013, 12:30:14 PM »

I'm not talking about what Brian wants, I'm talking about what he produced or didn't produce.

over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 25, 2013, 02:52:41 PM »

Probably because he quit listening to new music decades ago, and is stuck in the 50s and 60s as far as tastes. I've always been of the belief that the moment you quit listening to new things is the moment you quit growing as a songwriter and artist.

I heard him say in an interview from 1989 that he really enjoyed Tears for Fears' music.

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #609 on: January 25, 2013, 02:59:47 PM »

What if you think all modern music is crap, worthless and stagnated, but find inspiration in the music of the past? A lot of great artists are out of step with the times.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 25, 2013, 03:27:47 PM »

What if you think all modern music is crap, worthless and stagnated, but find inspiration in the music of the past? A lot of great artists are out of step with the times.

If you think 'all modern music' is crap, then... there's no nice or polite way to put this, anyone who thinks that is an idiot. There are literally hundreds of thousands of pieces of music created every year, in every imaginable style and genre. Nobody could possibly even listen to a representative sample of 'all modern music' so they would have no possible reasonable basis for judgment.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 25, 2013, 04:18:29 PM »

He's heard at least some of a She & Him album. Probably not by choice, but he told Zooey Deschannel he liked some of the cuts and that it reminded him of Spector. That's pretty retro as far as new albums go, so I guess that doesn't count.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #612 on: January 25, 2013, 05:29:10 PM »

If you think 'all modern music' is crap, then... there's no nice or polite way to put this, anyone who thinks that is an idiot. There are literally hundreds of thousands of pieces of music created every year, in every imaginable style and genre. Nobody could possibly even listen to a representative sample of 'all modern music' so they would have no possible reasonable basis for judgment.

Especially since a lot of music these days that is not on Top 40 stations is heavily retro. There's more out there than Top 40 or hip hop.  Hell, if anything, a lot of younger listeners these days have a better appreciation of the music that came before than previous generations.

In any case, I should clarify by what I mean by 'new' music. I'm not saying Brian should get an iPod loaded with Skrillex (although I'd love to see his reaction, if I could run away fast enough afterwards that is), just that he seemingly listens to the same stuff over and over. There's more good music in the 60s than what they play on the Sirius stations...hell, if anybody should know that, it'd be Brian!

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 25, 2013, 05:58:51 PM »

Popular Modern Music is sh*t. I don't understand why people try to defend "artists" like Psy and all of the rappers.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 25, 2013, 06:44:56 PM »

Popular Modern Music is sh*t. I don't understand why people try to defend "artists" like Psy and all of the rappers.

Saying "all of the rappers", like all of them sound exactly the same and are making the exact same type of music and sound, is like dismissing The Beach Boys by saying all of the surf musicians are sh*t. Roll over Beethoven and get with it with that lame, boring old attitude. It is why young folks think old people and "their" music are a joke, in the same way that old boring farts dismissed rock music in the 50's.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: January 25, 2013, 07:01:37 PM »

It's fair to say though that there are periods throughout the history of recorded music that are more exciting than others.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 25, 2013, 08:23:56 PM »

Saying "all of the rappers", like all of them sound exactly the same and are making the exact same type of music and sound, is like dismissing The Beach Boys by saying all of the surf musicians are sh*t. Roll over Beethoven and get with it with that lame, boring old attitude. It is why young folks think old people and "their" music are a joke, in the same way that old boring farts dismissed rock music in the 50's.

I used to follow every new album and trend in music religiously, but over the last 4 or 5 years I've just given up even caring. The more older music I listen to the less I like newer music.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 25, 2013, 08:27:28 PM »

I used to follow every new album and trend in music religiously, but over the last 4 or 5 years I've just given up even caring. The more older music I listen to the less I like newer music.

^ That is me.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 25, 2013, 08:45:08 PM »

I don't really get rap lyrics at all. They may be clever, they may be ingenious, but there's no substance. Just phrasing 'I'm a drug dealer', or 'I'm better than other rappers', or 'I'm badass' in a convoluted way isn't really interesting no matter contrived and over the top the verse is.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 25, 2013, 08:59:34 PM »

Agreed again, it gets old, fast.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 25, 2013, 09:10:08 PM »

I don't really get rap lyrics at all. They may be clever, they may be ingenious, but there's no substance. Just phrasing 'I'm a drug dealer', or 'I'm better than other rappers', or 'I'm badass' in a convoluted way isn't really interesting no matter contrived and over the top the verse is.

You really, honestly think that is what all rap lyrics are about? Get with it, man. I'd think people here would be smarter about things like this, considering the braying folks do about how mistreated The Beach Boys are by mainstream listeners and critics.

Artist: Public Enemy
Album: Fear Of A Black Planet
Song: Revolutionary Generation

I get down to what it is
And if it ain't funky (see ya)
People askin' me what's goin' on
With my mind
(Huh) wait a minute

It's just a matter of race
Cause a black male's in their face
Step back for the new jack swing
On the platter scatter huh
We got our own thing
Just jam to let the rhythm run
Day to day, America eats it's young
And defeats our women
There is a gap so wide we all can swim in
Drown in (uh get down) an get it
Got it goin' on wit it
Sister (hey) soul sister
We goin' be all right
It takes a man to take a stand
Understand it takes a
Woman to make a stronger man
(As we both get strong)
They'll call me a crazy Asiatic
While I'm singin' a song
Oh my god, oh my lord

I can't hold back
But I get exact on a track
It's an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth
Forget about me
Just set my sister free
R-e-s-p-e-c-t my sisters, not my enemy
(Cause we'll be stronger together)
And make the suckers say
(Damn) this generation

They don't know what we got goin' is (sound)
To turn it all around
To my sisters I communicate
With the bass and tone
Thru speakers and the microphone
Cause I'm tired of America dissin' my sisters
And they try to say she's a liar
My people don't believe it
But even now they're getting higher
Of the feeling inspiration
We must know that in this nation
Every single generation
(They teach us how to diss our sisters)
Strange as you say, I say revolution
Need for change brings on revolution
The great book just look see solution

God chooses who and what for the bruisin'
There's been no justice for none
Of my sisters
Just us been the ones that's been missin' her
Now we got to protect
We get together and damn this generation

I said so to what it is
Where it is
She needs a li'l respect
There it is
I say she needs a lotta
Brother from a mother like me has gotta
Give it up
Give it now
And pass it all around
To my soul (sister)

They disrespected mama and treated her like dirt
America took her, reshaped her, raped her
Nope, it never made the paper
Beat us, mated us
Made us attack our woman in black
So I said sophisticated B, don't be one
Not to head the warning crack of dawn
Or is it the dawn of crack?
Stop the talk they say, but
We talk and say whats right or wrong
Some say we wasting time singin' a song
But why is it that we're many different shades
Black woman's privacy invaded years and years
You cannot count my mama's tears
It's not the past but the future's
What she fears
Strong we be strong
The next generation
It's what not who we are facin'
The fingers pointed to us in our direction
The blind state of mind needs correction
Word to the mother we tighten connection
To be a man you need no election
This generation generates a new attitude
Sister to you we should not be rude
So we come together
And make 'em all say
Damn this generation

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 25, 2013, 09:10:43 PM »

YOU got old, mate.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #622 on: January 25, 2013, 09:13:06 PM »

YOU got old, mate.
Niicccccee.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 25, 2013, 09:23:04 PM »

YOU got old, mate.

I'm 16

halblaineisgood
« Reply #624 on: January 25, 2013, 09:35:11 PM »

f*** it. I'm just rambling, now. Wrote a big thing about how I was once in your shoes (precocious old soul ) and how it was a damn shame . But ...there's no talking sense into a teenager.  NO TALKING SENSE INTO ONE.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 01:37:03 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx