gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681290 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 04:07:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 212734 times)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #625 on: January 25, 2013, 09:49:14 PM »

The new/old category doesn't make as much sense to me as it used to.

Today, we have lots of people starting to pick up where the old crews left off in the '60s/'70s. The problem is it's labeled 'retro' or 'throwback' or whatever and not taken seriously. But there are idioms that we work within ... since 'rock' music is spent, you can only move around in a limited space.

John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #626 on: January 25, 2013, 10:11:28 PM »

It's one day closer!  Look on the bright side, Mark Linett will not let anyone down with his work so I'm happy to wait.

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 25, 2013, 10:36:52 PM »

f*** it. I'm just rambling, now. Wrote a big thing about how I was once in your shoes (preccocious old soul ) and how it was a damn shame . But ...there's no talking sense into a teenager.  NO TALKING SENSE INTO ONE.

I saw your original post and here was my reply:

I agree with this. I see where FOTM is coming from, though. 16 is awfully young to have that attitude, but at least he's listening to music. When I was around 16, the Billboard top 100 was dominated by the Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Spice Girls, Hanson, and Usher (not that he is bad, I just don't listen to him). I didn't even listen to "old" music because the current music turned me off from it all. I did get into Rascal Flatts and then had a short stint with liking country music before college, then my ears were awoken by I Get Around and Shut Down. From there, my music interest blew up at the end of my college tenure. The full Beach Boys catalog, Beatles, Elvis, Supremes, Four Tops, Temptations, Stones, Kinks, Zombies, Hollies, Yardbirds, Byrds, CCR, etc, etc, etc. It ranged all the way back to Big Band/Swing from WWII. I still couldn't get into "new" music, or honestly, anything past about 1973 other than the Beach Boys, Zeppelin, and Elvis. I've since found Grizzly Bear, Foster the People, Kooks, Tame Impala, Two Door Cinema Club and have found an appreciation for certain musical aspects of the 80s/90s/Early 2000s.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 25, 2013, 10:43:22 PM »

I don't really get rap lyrics at all. They may be clever, they may be ingenious, but there's no substance. Just phrasing 'I'm a drug dealer', or 'I'm better than other rappers', or 'I'm badass' in a convoluted way isn't really interesting no matter contrived and over the top the verse is.

You really, honestly think that is what all rap lyrics are about? Get with it, man. I'd think people here would be smarter about things like this, considering the braying folks do about how mistreated The Beach Boys are by mainstream listeners and critics.

Hey Ian, I definitely hear what you are saying about hip-hop. I do think it's lame that some people are like "all rap is the same, and it's vulgar and stupid". But at the same time I have to say that at least as far as the super popular stuff, no genre has more disgusting, regressive, homophobic than some rap music. And this coming from a guy who has been waiting excitedly for Dr. Dre's Detox for however long now.

On the other hand, it really doesn't take much searching for someone to find rappers that offer something different from the rest. Case in point: André 3000. Dude can rap his ass off, can play instruments, produce, and lyrically is quite interesting. I do think it's a shame that somebody like Kanye West, who, when he originally appeared on the scene seemed to be both humble and something different. Unfortunately the better the world got to know him, the more he seemed like your average egotistical overrated Tupac/Jay-Z type.

And it's funny that you posted Public Enemy lyrics. Because as much as I like and respect Chuck D, it's a shame he wrote that stupid line about Elvis Presley being a racist. Cuz dude wasn't a racist, and if he just did a little bit of research he wouldn't have spread such nonsense into the world. Which kinda what I thought Public Enemy was about, ya know, stopping stupid regressive, racist crap.

Anyways, didn't think I'd be referencing Tupac and Chuck D in a thread about the upcoming box set, but so be it. Maybe we'll get some info soon.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:44:29 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #629 on: January 25, 2013, 10:43:42 PM »

real quick and then we'll get back on subject but when I was a teenager I hated the music that was out then ... yet  I love it now.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #630 on: January 25, 2013, 10:45:26 PM »

I don't really get rap lyrics at all. They may be clever, they may be ingenious, but there's no substance. Just phrasing 'I'm a drug dealer', or 'I'm better than other rappers', or 'I'm badass' in a convoluted way isn't really interesting no matter contrived and over the top the verse is.

You really, honestly think that is what all rap lyrics are about? Get with it, man. I'd think people here would be smarter about things like this, considering the braying folks do about how mistreated The Beach Boys are by mainstream listeners and critics.

Hey Ian, I definitely hear what you are saying about hip-hop. I do think it's lame that some people are like "all rap is the same, and it's vulgar and stupid". But at the same time I have to say that at least as far as the super popular stuff, no genre has more disgusting, regressive, homophobic than some rap music. And this coming from a guy who has been waiting excitedly for Dr. Dre's Detox for however long now.

On the other hand, it really doesn't take much searching for someone to find rappers that offer something different from the rest. Case in point: André 3000. Dude can rap his ass off, can play instruments, produce, and lyrically is quite interesting. I do think it's a shame that somebody like Kanye West, who, when he originally appeared on the scene seemed to be both humble and something different. Unfortunately the better the world got to know him, the more he seemed like your average egotistical overrated Tupac/Jay-Z type.

And it's funny that you posted Public Enemy lyrics. Because as much as I like and respect Chuck D, it's a shame he wrote that stupid like about Elvis Presley being a racist. Cuz dude wasn't a racist, and if he just did a little bit of research he wouldn't have spread such nonsense into the world. Which kinda what I thought Public Enemy was about, ya know, stopping stupid regressive, racist crap.

Anyways, didn't think I'd be referencing Tupac and Chuck D in a thread about the upcoming box set, but so be it. Maybe we'll get some info soon.
WhoA... don't lump Tupac in there with Jay Z.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 25, 2013, 11:54:37 PM »

Artist: Public Enemy
Album: Fear Of A Black Planet
Song: Revolutionary Generation

I get down to what it is
And if it ain't funky (see ya)
People askin' me what's goin' on
With my mind
(Huh) wait a minute

It's just a matter of race
Cause a black male's in their face
Step back for the new jack swing
On the platter scatter huh
We got our own thing
Just jam to let the rhythm run
Day to day, America eats it's young
And defeats our women
There is a gap so wide we all can swim in
Drown in (uh get down) an get it
Got it goin' on wit it
Sister (hey) soul sister
We goin' be all right
It takes a man to take a stand
Understand it takes a
Woman to make a stronger man
(As we both get strong)
They'll call me a crazy Asiatic
While I'm singin' a song
Oh my god, oh my lord

I can't hold back
But I get exact on a track
It's an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth
Forget about me
Just set my sister free
R-e-s-p-e-c-t my sisters, not my enemy
(Cause we'll be stronger together)
And make the suckers say
(Damn) this generation

They don't know what we got goin' is (sound)
To turn it all around
To my sisters I communicate
With the bass and tone
Thru speakers and the microphone
Cause I'm tired of America dissin' my sisters
And they try to say she's a liar
My people don't believe it
But even now they're getting higher
Of the feeling inspiration
We must know that in this nation
Every single generation
(They teach us how to diss our sisters)
Strange as you say, I say revolution
Need for change brings on revolution
The great book just look see solution

God chooses who and what for the bruisin'
There's been no justice for none
Of my sisters
Just us been the ones that's been missin' her
Now we got to protect
We get together and damn this generation

I said so to what it is
Where it is
She needs a li'l respect
There it is
I say she needs a lotta
Brother from a mother like me has gotta
Give it up
Give it now
And pass it all around
To my soul (sister)

They disrespected mama and treated her like dirt
America took her, reshaped her, raped her
Nope, it never made the paper
Beat us, mated us
Made us attack our woman in black
So I said sophisticated B, don't be one
Not to head the warning crack of dawn
Or is it the dawn of crack?
Stop the talk they say, but
We talk and say whats right or wrong
Some say we wasting time singin' a song
But why is it that we're many different shades
Black woman's privacy invaded years and years
You cannot count my mama's tears
It's not the past but the future's
What she fears
Strong we be strong
The next generation
It's what not who we are facin'
The fingers pointed to us in our direction
The blind state of mind needs correction
Word to the mother we tighten connection
To be a man you need no election
This generation generates a new attitude
Sister to you we should not be rude
So we come together
And make 'em all say
Damn this generation

These are terrible

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 26, 2013, 12:08:29 AM »

Nobody can say categorically that all 'new' music is bad. I think this is a great song for example, but I can never shake the feeling that I'd rather just listen to 'You, Baby' twice instead. I think Will Cullen Hart is a great producer and I think 'Hey Ya' is a great song but I have more and more trouble getting genuinely excited about new records.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 26, 2013, 12:56:49 AM »

I'm not really a fan of "modern" music. But to be fair, I haven't really paid enough attention, or given new music much of a chance. I like hard rock, or Rock&Roll, or whatever you may call it. If it's got a "hard" sound with guitars, bass, and drums, it might get my attention. Other than Velvet Revolver(which in a way doesn't count, because it's basically GN'R with a different singer), the last group that really got me "excited" was Wolfmother. That being said, Beast by Nico Vega is probably my new favorite song at the moment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4aaScgdXSQ

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #634 on: January 26, 2013, 01:05:44 AM »

I think Brian is keener to have hit albums than anyone else so would be the last person who would want to release uncommercial music.

That's true but Brian has been out of touch with what make a commercial hit for 40 years or so.

Probably because he quit listening to new music decades ago, and is stuck in the 50s and 60s as far as tastes. I've always been of the belief that the moment you quit listening to new things is the moment you quit growing as a songwriter and artist.

What if you think all modern music is crap, worthless and stagnated, but find inspiration in the music of the past? A lot of great artists are out of step with the times.

If you think 'all modern music' is crap, then... there's no nice or polite way to put this, anyone who thinks that is an idiot. There are literally hundreds of thousands of pieces of music created every year, in every imaginable style and genre. Nobody could possibly even listen to a representative sample of 'all modern music' so they would have no possible reasonable basis for judgment.

Your right Andrew. There is some modern music I like, my own.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 26, 2013, 01:07:27 AM »

LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #636 on: January 26, 2013, 02:07:45 AM »

As long as no one mentions Oasis LOL

But seriously, no genre of "modern" music does anything for me. Other than the BB's, my real passion are 30's and 40's Big Band, and sacred renaissance music. I see no point in sifting through a load of music I loathe on the off chance of hearing something that changes my life. It ain't gonna happen! 

The original point I took umbridge with was the notion that you can't grow as an artist unless you listen to modern music. It was just his opinion though. Mine is the polar opposite I've spent my career purposefully having as few influences as possible. I found my sound early on, and it is growing and progressing nicely with no outside influence thank you very much!

Anyhow, a sandbox topic if ever there was one.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 26, 2013, 02:29:58 AM »

Popular Modern Music is sh*t. I don't understand why people try to defend "artists" like Psy and all of the rappers.

Saying "all of the rappers", like all of them sound exactly the same and are making the exact same type of music and sound, is like dismissing The Beach Boys by saying all of the surf musicians are sh*t. Roll over Beethoven and get with it with that lame, boring old attitude. It is why young folks think old people and "their" music are a joke, in the same way that old boring farts dismissed rock music in the 50's.

I used to follow every new album and trend in music religiously, but over the last 4 or 5 years I've just given up even caring. The more older music I listen to the less I like newer music.

I feel exactly the same.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 26, 2013, 04:55:05 AM »

I think dismissing rap out of hand is incredibly stupid. Ian probably touched on all this in his post, but if you think it's all gang-banging shooting hoes and dealin drugs homie stuff you are severely out of touch. There is plenty of thoughtful, intelligent rap that has been made, and will continue to be made (listen to Kendrick Lamar for a good modern example).

Also, I bet you listen to plenty of dumb old rock records about partying and being the coolest thing alive designed to make everyone listening party like it's 1799. But if it's a rap record, it's automatically rubbish. Right. Wu Tang's Enter the 36 Chambers and, IDK, Surfin' USA aren't so far apart, except the Wu Tang have better beats.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 26, 2013, 05:21:14 AM »

I think dismissing rap out of hand is incredibly stupid. Ian probably touched on all this in his post, but if you think it's all gang-banging shooting hoes and dealin drugs homie stuff you are severely out of touch. There is plenty of thoughtful, intelligent rap that has been made, and will continue to be made (listen to Kendrick Lamar for a good modern example).

Also, I bet you listen to plenty of dumb old rock records about partying and being the coolest thing alive designed to make everyone listening party like it's 1799. But if it's a rap record, it's automatically rubbish. Right. Wu Tang's Enter the 36 Chambers and, IDK, Surfin' USA aren't so far apart, except the Wu Tang have better beats.

You're right both are full of really juvenile stuff. Also the 1790s are cooler than either the 1960s were or the 2010s will be so get your facts straight.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 26, 2013, 05:34:59 AM »

You're right both are full of really juvenile stuff. Also the 1790s are cooler than either the 1960s were or the 2010s will be so get your facts straight.
I daresay!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 26, 2013, 05:35:32 AM »

The Haitian Revolution was cool?  First batch of amendments to the Constitution?  Introduction of the guillotine in France?  Denmark's abolition of slavery? Publication of Wordsworth and Coleridge's Lyrical Ballads?

Cool!

“We live in divisive times.”
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #642 on: January 26, 2013, 05:39:04 AM »

Sorry, the decade we lost Mr Mozart was not cool.

Take the "what might have been" of Smile not coming out in '67 and times it by 1000,000. The guy was just coming into the full flowering of his talents, music's greatest loss IMO

That decade should be shrouded in the blackest black.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 05:46:32 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #643 on: January 26, 2013, 07:58:29 AM »

Okay let's get back on track. I heard Wrinkles is on the new set....

Psyche!

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 26, 2013, 08:55:12 AM »

I really hope "Running Bear" is, what a great song..

Damn Brother Records keep taking it off youtube so they might as well do something with the song like IDK, RELEASE IT!!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: January 26, 2013, 09:14:27 AM »

I really hope "Running Bear" is, what a great song..

Damn Brother Records keep taking it off youtube so they might as well do something with the song like IDK, RELEASE IT!!
I'm a huge fan of the original recording by Johnny Preston and have good memories of the BBs version which I have stored on a bootleg CD somewhere. An official release on the box set would be quite amazing. I doubt it will happen, though..
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: January 26, 2013, 11:52:38 AM »

These are terrible

Yeah, lyrics from Fear Of A Black Planet, one of the greatest albums ever made, are terrible. You're a goon, Bruce Willis boy. But have fun, Pat Boone.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:54:33 AM by I. Spaceman » Logged

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: January 26, 2013, 12:02:29 PM »

Spaceman, I'm glad you're here to cajole some of these fools into maybe even just beginning to think their opinions about contemporary music is ridiculously ignorant. I'll especially never understand the complete dismissal of hip-hop. Yeah guys, sure, De La Soul, Jay-Z, Cannibal Ox, and Danny Brown all make the same music. I mean, do those of you who say such things even read what you're writing out before you post some of this sh*t?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #648 on: January 26, 2013, 12:13:48 PM »

Alright you all...let's take the off subject stuff to the general music thread (where I'm definitely going to throw my 5 dollars in...to hell with two cents) and leave this for the box set discussion.

Thanks.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #649 on: January 26, 2013, 12:32:44 PM »

So who remembers buying the 30 years set back in '93?

I can't how fast believe 20 years has gone by. ( Smokin)

I know that set gets some flac here, but I thought it was just the right mix of hits, unreleased tracks and deep cuts.

I'm hoping the new set is comparable (in feel not content)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx