gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 03:11:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 211153 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #550 on: January 19, 2013, 12:06:42 AM »

Given that this is likely to be the definitive statement on the band's career, I wouldn't consider it petty at all for any of them to insist on certain songs being included. If, say, Mike considers Everyone's In Love With You to be his most important song, the one thing that he would want to be remembered for by future generations (I have no evidence at all that this is the case) then pushing for its inclusion would make perfect sense.

For all that I love the GV box, I do think the fact that the people who compiled it had a distinct prejudice in favour of Brian (and to a lesser extent Dennis) did the other band members a disservice. I don't want the box to be five CDs of "The Suzie Cincinnati Sessions" or "First Love, The Definitive Edition", but it'd be nice if, for example, the booklet mentioned Al Jardine more than four times...

How can you say there was even a remote prejudice in favour of Dennis on the GV boxset? He only had five songs on it....
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 20, 2013, 01:21:13 PM »

Given that this is likely to be the definitive statement on the band's career, I wouldn't consider it petty at all for any of them to insist on certain songs being included. If, say, Mike considers Everyone's In Love With You to be his most important song, the one thing that he would want to be remembered for by future generations (I have no evidence at all that this is the case) then pushing for its inclusion would make perfect sense.

For all that I love the GV box, I do think the fact that the people who compiled it had a distinct prejudice in favour of Brian (and to a lesser extent Dennis) did the other band members a disservice. I don't want the box to be five CDs of "The Suzie Cincinnati Sessions" or "First Love, The Definitive Edition", but it'd be nice if, for example, the booklet mentioned Al Jardine more than four times...

How can you say there was even a remote prejudice in favour of Dennis on the GV boxset? He only had five songs on it....

Which is still as many as Al, Carl and Bruce put together (not counting co-writes with Brian). It's also something like a third of all the songs he wrote for the band (as opposed to his solo stuff).

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 20, 2013, 03:41:12 PM »

Which is still as many as Al, Carl and Bruce put together (not counting co-writes with Brian). It's also something like a third of all the songs he wrote for the band (as opposed to his solo stuff).

Dennis was more prolific and more of his songs remained unreleased. Therefore, there were more of them to choose from when comiling the GV box! simple.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 20, 2013, 06:36:48 PM »

Dennis was more prolific and more of his songs remained unreleased. Therefore, there were more of them to choose from when comiling the GV box! simple.

Only one unreleased track was chosen.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 21, 2013, 12:19:37 AM »

Been listening to Landlocked boots these last couple of days… lots of stuff there I'd love to hear in properly mastered/speed corrected form where necessary. Landlocked might have been a bogus album title but there's some good music gathered under that title.

Big Sur 4/4 at least - what a gem.

Totally agree. It is so breezy, full of fresh air... I never understood why that version remained unreleased. Not that I dislike the waltz, but this one's so much better.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #555 on: January 21, 2013, 02:37:53 AM »

I prefer the 'campfire' "Big Sur" for reasons two:

1 - it fits the suite better...

2 - the 4/4 version is overegged.

Interesting factiod: the majority of hard-core fans will prefer the unreleased versions irrespective of whether or not they are actually superior.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 21, 2013, 02:47:40 AM »

Interesting factiod: the majority of hard-core fans will prefer the unreleased versions irrespective of whether or not they are actually superior.

LOL spot on re: the factoid. Diehard have a habit of neglecting bum notes, wrong endings, loads of hiss and unidentified noises... whilst most outtakes and leftovers have their status for a reason.

*now goes to look up the meaning of 'overegged'...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 02:48:31 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 21, 2013, 02:56:17 AM »

I never thought I'd see the day when we agreed on something.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 21, 2013, 03:16:36 AM »

I never thought I'd see the day when we agreed on something.

I'm with you… the 4/4 is quite lovely … but too lovely in places – overly soppy in fact. The waltz version has good, buoyant punch and charm.

That said, an official release of the 4/4 would not be passed over!

“We live in divisive times.”
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 21, 2013, 04:07:55 AM »

In my case I prefer the 4/4 version purely because the phrasing seems far more natural, though I agree about both those points. What I'd actually like to hear is the version I can hear in my head, in 4/4 time but without the overdone backing vocals and with the harmonica from the waltz version. Though I must admit I very rarely listen to either version, and my opinions may be slightly biased by the fact that I heard the 4/4 version first (when I became a fan it was much, much easier to get hold of a Landlocked bootleg than a copy of Holland...)

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 21, 2013, 08:24:13 AM »

The released version of Big Sur just sounds like Mike Love played his copy of Neil Young's Harvest way too many times. One thing I will say for it is that it seems to have influenced Billy Joel's Piano Man. Check out the feel and the harmonica on the latter.

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 21, 2013, 09:12:22 AM »

As I said in the Holland rank (as opposed to Rank Holland) thread, I like the 4/4 version more because of the backing vocals and I feel the hoedown phrasing distracts from Mike's beautiful lyrics.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 21, 2013, 09:24:59 AM »

When you say "hoedown", do you mean country? And do you use a pejorative term because you do not like country music?

smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 21, 2013, 12:24:17 PM »

I absolutely agree, and even prefer the song in waltz time out of the context of the suite.  The 4/4 version reminds me of a scene in The Simpsons in which Mr. Burns insists that his musicians perform "The Blue Danube" (I think) in 4/4.  There are some nice backing vocals that were lost from the original version, but overall I think it's an improvement.
Paulos
« Reply #564 on: January 21, 2013, 12:28:41 PM »

The thing about Big Sur is that it's a great song regardless of whether it's in 3/4 or 4/4.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 21, 2013, 12:53:42 PM »

The thing about Big Sur is that it's a great song regardless of whether it's in 3/4 or 4/4.

Exactly. But it's still better in 3/4 Evil

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #566 on: January 23, 2013, 09:34:50 AM »

I heard the 4/4 version before the 3/4 version and the 3/4 version sounds like a man trying to sing a 4/4 song in 3/4.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 23, 2013, 10:47:18 AM »

The Holland version also bears the influence of Mr. Bojangles.

gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 23, 2013, 03:08:30 PM »

I heard the 4/4 version before the 3/4 version and the 3/4 version sounds like a man trying to sing a 4/4 song in 3/4.

Quoted for truth.

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 23, 2013, 09:44:42 PM »

Quoted for truth.
I've been digging the 4/4 version a bit more over the 3/4 one as well.  But I never listen to it as being part of the California Saga suite, just as a standalone track.  It's a nice laid back 70's tune.  Looking forward to an official version coming out.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #570 on: January 23, 2013, 10:19:03 PM »

Hey, both versions of "Big Sur" have there merits!  Yay!

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #571 on: January 24, 2013, 12:39:27 AM »

And Looking Down The Coast would have been a much better option for an unreleased late-70s track than Our Team.

I VEHEMENTLY DISAGREE! OUR TEAM IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE BEACH BOYS SONGS!

Glad I'm not the only one hear who feels that way! I love Lookin' Down the Coast, though...that should've been released.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #572 on: January 24, 2013, 07:34:18 AM »

Yes, because a) Dennis was far, far more profilic than either Al, Carl or Bruce, and b) Dennis is by common consent the second great songwriter in the band after Brian, and thus should be represented as such. As for 'it was something like a third of all the songs he wrote for the band' - what, so Dennis only wrote 15 songs with and/or intended for the Beach Boys? That i can think of, i count: Little Bird, Be Still, Mona Kanu, Celebrate the News, A Time to Live in Dreams, Be With Me, All I Want to Do, Never Learn Not to Love, Settle Down, Lady, I'm Going Your Way, Slip On Through, Got to Know the Woman, It's About Time, Forever, San Miguel, All Of My Love, 4th of July, (Wouldn't It Be Nice) To Live Again, Barbara, Cuddle Up, Make It Good, Carry Me Home, Steamboat, Only With You, Baby Blue... I'm sure there's more i've forgotten about, and i'm sure there's more in the vaults too. I think Dennis deserved a little more than what was practically the equivalent of one single song per CD. I hope Made In California will be a bit more generous to him.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 07:35:43 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 24, 2013, 07:41:01 AM »

Only until the unreleased version appears on an official release - then it will be criticized and laments will be heard as to why did they bother to release that vs. some other outtake that remains in the vault.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 24, 2013, 09:36:34 AM »

I like the 4/4 version better because its got the classic BBs sound. Holland's version (also the album as whole) just seems hollow and pandering to the hippie culture.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx