gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:12:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 210893 times)
modestmaus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 19, 2012, 06:41:09 AM »

The Made in California set is on track for release after the New Year. Probably early Spring. It will be worth the wait.

So, June.

We can't wait for June!!! Grin

I'm sure I'm not the first to say something like this but in the end, considering the band is called The Beach Boys and all the association the band has with that season between spring and fall, for a major release like MiC (especially, considering it may very well be the last major release from the Boys) it makes perfect sense for a summer release, I think.

Not that I would complain if it does show up in March.  LOL
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 19, 2012, 09:05:24 AM »

I don't know if this means anything but when they posted on the The Beach Boys facebook page about the christmas BB ball gift i commented on saying that i would have rather seen a news about Made In California, something like that, and they deleted the comment, i thought that was quite weird.

I saw a comment on a BB fanpage months earlier who faced a similar situation. They asked about UK dates (before they were added) and they ended up getting temporarily banned from the BB official facebook page and their comment was deleted too.

Well, I think we fans need to back off a bit and stop making a fuss about how much we want this box set, 'cause, you know, we could jeopardize the whole thing and Capitol could decide not to release it.  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 19, 2012, 02:23:09 PM »

That makes sense. The demand is so high, we better not release it!

thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 19, 2012, 02:30:38 PM »

If they're looking at a date in say March/April for release, then I wouldn't expect a track list before February.

I may have to make up my own.

To get things started I'm gonna divide up the content and make a guess of how much material will go into each category.

I propose the following guess:

Category 1. Run of the mill, commonly available song, unremarkable, but likely remixed for this package.
Category 2. Run of the mill, commonly available song, but previously unreleased live recording of the song.
Category 3. Run of the mill, commonly available song, but alternate take, demo etc.
Category 4. Rare, but previously released song [or edit of song eg. a single mix], perhaps first time on CD.
Category 5. Previously unreleased song.

I'd be happy with about 2 discs worth of category 1, and about 1 disc for each of the other categories.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 02:32:27 PM by thetojo » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 19, 2012, 03:27:59 PM »

You need an additional category - one for a "run of the mill" song that has not been remixed, but will warrant inclusion on a comprehensive Beach Boys box anyway. I'd figure a good chunk would fall under that.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: December 19, 2012, 06:05:16 PM »

In an ideal world, most of the run-of-the-mill songs would be included on 50 Big Ones.

Like have the box set say

Discs 1-2: 50 Big Ones (available seperately) (most people buying the box set would already own this)
Discs 3-6: Other important songs not included in 50 Big Ones
3. 1961-1966
4. 1967-1973
5. 1974-1984
6. 1985-2013
Disc 7: Solo Album Tracks
Disc 8: Unreleased/Alternate/Unreleased Live Versions

Yeah, basicallly no chance for any of that, but hey, I can dream, can't I?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 19, 2012, 07:56:57 PM »

In an ideal world, most of the run-of-the-mill songs would be included on 50 Big Ones.

Like have the box set say

Discs 1-2: 50 Big Ones (available seperately) (most people buying the box set would already own this)
Discs 3-6: Other important songs not included in 50 Big Ones
3. 1961-1966
4. 1967-1973
5. 1974-1984
6. 1985-2013
Disc 7: Solo Album Tracks
Disc 8: Unreleased/Alternate/Unreleased Live Versions

Yeah, basicallly no chance for any of that, but hey, I can dream, can't I?

Sorry, but this doesn't really sound like a great idea. I think it'd make more sense if they make a box that goes from 1961 to 2012 and tells a narrative via previously released tracks, alternate versions, and quality previously unreleased material. Splitting into things like solo album tracks, and live versions would seem to kinda not make much sense. Plus why would you want all of Fifty Big Ones reprised on the box? Same with the solo tracks. Just doesn't make sense.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 19, 2012, 08:14:58 PM »

Nothing like the promise of a box set to bring out run of the mill posts

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 19, 2012, 09:20:47 PM »

^^^

Like this one.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 19, 2012, 09:36:39 PM »

Nothing like the promise of a box set to bring out run of the mill posts
     ^^^

Like this one.

YEAH! Like Alot of this ones. Inanity breeds inanity, eh?

thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 21, 2012, 04:01:49 PM »

Obviously the box will be more or less chronological, just like it's predecessors, The Capitol Years (20th anniversary) & Good Vibrations (30th anniversary).

Not sure why we didn't get a box ten years ago as well.

Let's just hope the original Sail On Sailor demo is on this thing.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 04:06:54 PM by thetojo » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 23, 2012, 01:59:25 AM »

's funny (or rather: not) -

here I am, almost three weeks after my last post, and I had expected a lot of new info on MiC, its track list, art work, and a definite release date.

Instead: nothing. Except guesswork, educated or not, about a release in March-June 2013.

I think the world ended last week after all.

Or Cohen is having the revenge of his lifetime.

*suddenly thinks that his opening post of this tread has taken on a sadder meaning.*
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 02:01:19 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 23, 2012, 02:34:13 AM »

I'm not worried, Don – there's all the excitement of Christmas and Hogmanay to come, and when news about the box is released it'll be a new dose of new year excitement.

Just sorry, truly sorry that Les and others who've passed didn't get to hear the box beforehand. Still, he's got Carl & Dennis singing to him right now…

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 23, 2012, 02:50:27 AM »

I'm not worried, Don – there's all the excitement of Christmas and Hogmanay to come, and when news about the box is released it'll be a new dose of new year excitement.

Just sorry, truly sorry that Les and others who've passed didn't get to hear the box beforehand. Still, he's got Carl & Dennis singing to him right now…

Thanks John -

TJI: my own retailer has put the release date on Sept 27, 2013, I just saw.

THD.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 23, 2012, 11:29:47 AM »

My own retailer has put the release date on Sept 27, 2013, I just saw.

THD.
At this point, I would have expected a summer 2013 release, but September has always been a popular time for big releases and it would mean getting it out in time for next Christmas.

Naturally, the optimist in me is thinking that this now leaves June open for that new Beach Boys LP we've been dreaming about.  Wink
rogerlancelot
« Reply #490 on: December 23, 2012, 03:21:16 PM »

Thanks John -

TJI: my own retailer has put the release date on Sept 27, 2013, I just saw.

THD.

Ouch! Oh, well. Back to the "bootlegs" for listening pleasure.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 23, 2012, 03:33:21 PM »

Are some of the impatient folks newer BB fans? Try waiting 23 years for the Smile sessions set, first announced for summer 1988 release.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 23, 2012, 10:27:44 PM »

Are some of the impatient folks newer BB fans? Try waiting 23 years for the Smile sessions set, first announced for summer 1988 release.

I've been waiting for this one since 1978. Smile, too. Great times these are...enjoy!
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 27, 2012, 02:33:56 AM »

I'm pretty late, but my work's distribution system now says the box is going to be released in september 2013. Hope (and think) they are way off.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 27, 2012, 06:18:27 AM »

I'm pretty late, but my work's distribution system now says the box is going to be released in september 2013. Hope (and think) they are way off.

It's still better than not at all!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: December 27, 2012, 06:41:37 AM »

Should be up to 10-20 discs by the time it's with us!

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 27, 2012, 07:30:51 AM »

At least there is something to look forward to. September 2013 is a long way off. Maybe by then the Beach Boys wil agree to get together again to promote the new box. Maybe a new album, too?

The downside is that we'll be searchin for news of the box release for the next 8-9 months!  Thud

You guys must bring back Phil Cohen just for the fun. It's gonna be a long wait but I'm sure it will be worth it.
modestmaus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 27, 2012, 08:03:06 AM »

LOL

The dreamer side of me says these delays are because they decided to add in another disc or two and therefore they need to make according adjustments and/or additions to the booklet/liner notes and overall packaging.

The more realist side of me says this is all about approval. Not just approval of what tracks go on there but things like the look of the packaging, whats said in the booklet(s), and so on. I mean, for all we know one of the big reasons for the delay could be because Bruce Johnston hasn't gotten around to looking at his copy of the liner notes because he's too busy breaking television sets over Obama's re-election.  Evil No, I don't really think that's an actual possible reason.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 27, 2012, 08:11:59 AM »

LOL

The dreamer side of me says these delays are because they decided to add in another disc or two and therefore they need to make according adjustments and/or additions to the booklet/liner notes and overall packaging.

The more realist side of me says this is all about approval. Not just approval of what tracks go on there but things like the look of the packaging, whats said in the booklet(s), and so on. I mean, for all we know one of the big reasons for the delay could be because Bruce Johnston hasn't gotten around to looking at his copy of the liner notes because he's too busy breaking television sets over Obama's re-election.  Evil No, I don't really think that's an actual possible reason.

Agree with that.  If there was substantial new material I'm sure we'd be looking at a second archive package much further down the line rather than augmenting what must already have been virtually in the can.

Also think it might auger well for a promotional tour by the revived band, assuming they're all still fit enough by Fall 2013.  Imagine a set list that kicks off with Beatrice From Baltimore, peaks with Lazy Lizzie and closes with an encore of Battle Hymn.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 27, 2012, 08:29:22 AM »

LOL

Agree with that.  If there was substantial new material I'm sure we'd be looking at a second archive package much further down the line rather than augmenting what must already have been virtually in the can.

Also think it might auger well for a promotional tour by the revived band, assuming they're all still fit enough by Fall 2013.  Imagine a set list that kicks off with Beatrice From Baltimore, peaks with Lazy Lizzie and closes with an encore of Battle Hymn.

They're just as likely to all be dead by next September, as touring playing any of those songs

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx