gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681103 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 03:31:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 212480 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2012, 12:18:28 PM »

Financial, no. Artistic, meh... Great shows, but they could've - and should've - played more of their more artistic side. It should've been split 50/50, not 70/30 as it was. After all, these shows were almost 100% guaranteed to be successes, in terms of tickets sold - so this was an ideal opportunity more than ever to not be afraid to showcase some of their more 'less commercial' material live. And they only slightly kinda decided to do that. You know, Smile did rather well when released earlier this year - so why not more songs from that?? Instead we got Heroes and Villains, and maybe Our Prayer, if you were really lucky... Otherwise what is often described as the band's artistic peak barely got a look in. There was no Til I Die. There was no Surf's Up. Not a single one of Carl's solo compositions (who wouldn't have loved to have seen them give Feel Flows an airing?). It's like Paul McCartney doing a show of Beatles material and then basing the vast amount of the set on pre-Rubber Soul material only. I like Old Betsy, but we had enough Oldies in the set already. Why not Time To Get Alone? or Baby Blue?

So the show's were unarguably a great success, but artistically a missed opportunity in lots of ways...

You're asking for too much. We got a really nice share of rarities. The Beach Boys were playing to fairly large audiences who were mostly coming to have a good time. Half a set-list in an 8,000+ arena with Til I Die and Baby Blue kind of things would not have gone down that well. People didn't go batshit for All This Is That. They went batshit for Help Me Rhonda and Wouldn't It Be Nice. It was super nice of Mike and the band to give us hardcore nerds our share of rarities so we could geek out while everyone else chatted or took bathroom breaks or grabbed a beer.

We friggin' got I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, This Whole World, Disney Girls, Marcella, Sail on Sailor.....I'm thankful. They did their fans proud in that regard.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2012, 01:21:08 PM »

OK, RAH setlist broken down:

deep catalog - yellow (to Joe Q. Public, anyway)

Do It Again
Little Honda
Catch a Wave
Hawaii

Don't Back Down
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
The Little Girl I Once Knew
This Whole World
Wendy
Getcha Back
Then I Kissed Her
Please Let Me Wonder

Marcella
You're So Good to Me
Kiss Me, Baby
Isn't It Time
Come Go with Me
Why Do Fools Fall in Love

When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)
Dance, Dance, Dance
Darlin'
Disney Girls
Good Timin'
It's OK
Cotton Fields
Be True to Your School
Ballad of Ole' Betsy
Still Cruisin'
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

Second part
Pet Sounds

Add Some Music to Your Day
Sail on, Sailor
Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
Let Him Run Wild
California Dreamin'
California Saga: California

In My Room
All This Is That
That's Why God Made the Radio
Forever
God Only Knows
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Good Vibrations
California Girls
All Summer Long

Help Me, Rhonda
Rock and Roll Music
Do You Wanna Dance?
Surfin' U.S.A.

Encore:
Kokomo
Barbara Ann
Fun, Fun, Fun

Encore 2:
Summer's Gone

Pretty fair percentage. 19 out of 61, or just over 31%.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 01:41:06 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2012, 01:32:17 PM »

The classics vs. rarities argument is a circular one, and I'm certainly guilty of spinning that wheel - but really, that ship has sailed. I don't think that many people in 2012 had eureka moments hearing some rarity and said - Never heard that one before...huh, I'm gonna buy that record!

That ship sailed roughly around the time the 80's arrived and they became 'America's Band'. A corporate branding, really. Which is fine, since you gotta have the business to go along with the art.

I really hope we're not seeing a renewal of the whole PS boxset internal politics delay. Hopefully it's just a matter of industry schematics.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2012, 01:32:48 PM »

Ain't that the thing with Beach Boys fans?

If they'd got on stage and performed SMiLE in its entirety, someone'd be moaning that they hadn't done Fun, Fun, Fun or Kokomo. If they'd performed Pet Sounds someone else would moan that they performed it in stereo instead of mono or 5.1 (I know, it's my oldest new joke but I like it and I'll probably use it again).

I can't believe that we have critics who moan about what they played and didn't play.

Fer pity's sake, our favourite band – the finest creative rock and roll force to have straddled the planet – reformed, for us, for the first time in yonks, and after putting aside their differences to record and release a stunning new album, gave us more than 60 songs, live, in an extended world tour that guys their age should be telling nurses about…

RAH was up there with some of the greatest gigs I've ever witnessed… I must have missed chunks cos I simply couldn't believe it was happening. It was, like the last 12 months (TSS, 50 Biggies, 12xremastered albums, TWGMTR… etc etc etc), almost beyond credibility.

And someone's pissed cos they didn't play Time to Get Alone?

Get real!

These aren't just good times, they're up there with the best of times. You want cherries on the sprinkles on the icing on your cream-stuffed cake?

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2012, 01:46:35 PM »

John, there's a basic truth you have to understand - some folk are just fuckwits. They want it ALL and they want it NOW but most of all they want it THEIR WAY. These are the kind of people who, when whisked up to the Pearly Gates and presented with the Key of Heaven by St. Peter himself, would complain about how heavy it was.  Sadly, many of them are Beach Boys 'fans'.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2012, 01:59:14 PM »

Where's da "loike" button when ya needs one…?

“We live in divisive times.”
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »

John, there's a basic truth you have to understand - some folk are just f***wits. They want it ALL and they want it NOW but most of all they want it THEIR WAY. These are the kind of people who, when whisked up to the Pearly Gates and presented with the Key of Heaven by St. Peter himself, would complain about how heavy it was.  Sadly, many of them are Beach Boys 'fans'.
Yep 100x infinity agreed!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2012, 04:42:27 PM »

Any Oasis fans here?

Not me. Blur are - and always were - vastly superior

What about Wishbone Ash, then?

More of a Stackridge man m'self…

Great shout John , I got my old West Country musician mate James Warren to attend and play (along with Andy Davis from The Korgis and Tears For Fears)  at a BBB Event a few years ago in Bristol , AGD will remember this -  (oh and don't forget Stackridge opened up a certain show at Wembley Stadium in 1975)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 04:45:26 PM by Rob Dean » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2012, 04:51:02 PM »

No complaints about the Wembley show - everything lit up the room, and I'm not gonna front and say I didn't want them to play Fun Fun Fun or Surfing USA or sh*t like that! I love those songs! They dropped Heroes and Villains, Kiss me baby, Summers Gone.... I mean it was a party, ultimately

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2012, 10:40:03 PM »

The Wembley show I was at, they played all of those three. "Summer's Gone" was in the middle of the 2nd set, "KM,B" was the 'background' for the Smile charity video and... c'mon, when was the last time since about 1974 they didn't play "H&V" ?

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2012, 11:07:48 PM »

Is it the consensus of the cognoscenti that some songs that the reunited band has done  (I should say "had done" for the TWGMTR sessions) will appear on the MiC box and thus not on any new BB album? Stowaway, for example, and Waves of Love and SBILA, etc.? If they do, this would mean that a "next album" is past praying for unless/until Brian (plus Brian and Mike?)  writes something brand new and the BB reunite to record it?

I am all done with greatest hits. I want live recording of this reunited band, DVD shows, and new material they create. I already listen to CG, etc. 50 times a day by turning on any piece of electronics in my home, car, or head. That's quite enough.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2012, 12:55:08 AM »

John, there's a basic truth you have to understand - some folk are just f***wits. They want it ALL and they want it NOW but most of all they want it THEIR WAY. These are the kind of people who, when whisked up to the Pearly Gates and presented with the Key of Heaven by St. Peter himself, would complain about how heavy it was.  Sadly, many of them are Beach Boys 'fans'.
Yep 100x infinity agreed!

May I humbly join the queue?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2012, 12:58:04 AM »

It won't be as beautiful as this one, anyway:

Love

Not sure "beautiful" is the right word, those cds covers are quite freaking ugly.
Especially disc two. What made them think that was a good design?

A discipline daddy.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2012, 03:53:45 AM »

The Wembley show I was at, they played all of those three. "Summer's Gone" was in the middle of the 2nd set, "KM,B" was the 'background' for the Smile charity video and... c'mon, when was the last time since about 1974 they didn't play "H&V" ?

I meant that they played it - communication mishap...  Undecided

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2012, 04:05:23 AM »

I would grab dem keys and throw it in his face! How dare he come now and prove the existance of God when there previously was none whatsoever. God is to blame, but St.Peter is his bitch, so I would vent my anger at him.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2012, 06:06:29 AM »

Financial, no. Artistic, meh... Great shows, but they could've - and should've - played more of their more artistic side. 

Yes, because we all know their work had no artistic qualities before they started being influenced by The Beatles.

Yes, why not deliberately, willfully misinterpret and pretend not to understand what it is i'm saying? Oh wait, you just did...

You did say that 70% of the songs that they played were not from their artistic side.  Out of curiosity, which of their songs do you not consider to be artistic?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2012, 07:04:56 AM »

I meant that they played it - communication mishap...  Undecided
"Dropped" = "played" ?  This is not the English I learned at school.  Shocked

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2012, 09:46:30 AM »

Actually pretty common slang

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2012, 10:24:13 AM »

Sure.

I always play a big log early in the morning.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2012, 10:38:32 AM »

._.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2012, 11:31:42 AM »

So, because i'd rather they'd played more than 31% of their 'later' material, i'm a f***wit and a 'fan' rather than a fan. Ok, fair enough. Just as well God doesn't actually excist and is entirely a human invention so i won't have to worry about any future Pearly Gate moments...

Christ, if anyone of us are even remotely disappointed by the forthcoming boxset's tracklisting - i.e. if woe betide we were hoping a song would be included and then it isn't - then we'd better keep schtum, otherwise we'll be tarnished as 'fans'.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 11:34:37 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2012, 11:42:27 AM »

Sure.

I always play a big log early in the morning.

Biggest laugh I've had. EVAR.

Gotta love that toilet humour...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2012, 11:47:26 AM »

John, there's a basic truth you have to understand - some folk are just f***wits. They want it ALL and they want it NOW but most of all they want it THEIR WAY. These are the kind of people who, when whisked up to the Pearly Gates and presented with the Key of Heaven by St. Peter himself, would complain about how heavy it was.  Sadly, many of them are Beach Boys 'fans'.

So, because i'd rather they'd played more than 31% of their 'later' material, i'm a f***wit and a 'fan' rather than a fan. Ok, fair enough. Just as well God doesn't actually excist and is entirely a human invention so i won't have to worry about any future Pearly Gate moments...

Christ, if anyone of us are even remotely disappointed by the forthcoming boxset's tracklisting - i.e. if woe betide we were hoping a song would be included and then it isn't - then we'd better keep schtum, otherwise we'll be tarnished as 'fans'.
They don't do these shows specifically for us die-heards. I'll bet you that many who were there, the casual fan (the 70% of a typical audience) probably did a few "what the f***s" when they played the 30% that was really meant for us. I was really happy that they played what they played at the two shows that I attended.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2012, 12:59:53 PM »

Come on man. Are you really serious? The Beach Boys reunited in 2012 and played a set featuring songs such as "This Whole World", "Heroes And Villains", "Sail On, Sailor", "Marcella", "Good Timin'", and a bunch of other stuff and you weren't happy with that? Come on. I personally LOVE the late sixties/early seventies version of the band just as much as anybody else, but if you are really disappointed with the fact that they did their big hits (most of which are great) along with that other stuff, well then I feel bad for you. Because there is a lot of great music the guys have made, and I'm glad they did all different parts of the catalog, and not just their "most hip" material.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2012, 01:13:52 PM »

The 31% that AGD came up with was of lesser-known tracks.  Lesser-known is not the same as 'later' or 'from their artistic side.'  Consider that some of the songs he did not include in this 31% were "California Girls," "Let Him Run Wild," "The Little Girl I Once Knew," "Wouldn't It Be Nice," "Good Vibrations," and "Heroes and Villains," all of which (and many other of the hits that they played) are among the artistic highlights of the band's career.  How, exactly, was their artistic side under-represented?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx