gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 10:37:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 212029 times)
rogerlancelot
« Reply #925 on: February 25, 2013, 08:54:06 PM »

Curious what unreleased tracks people "don't want to see" on MIC, considering there will be a limited space allocated for that purpose.

Two that I'd certainly leave off are 'Battle Hymm' and any version of 'Barbara Ann'.

Anything recorded between 1985 and 2010.

Grin
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: February 25, 2013, 11:10:15 PM »

Any Four Seasons covers…

“We live in divisive times.”
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: February 26, 2013, 12:18:38 AM »

Nothing shite, choose quality over songs which have already been released. this means no more stereo mixes of CalGirls or live versions of Surfin' USA /wouldnt mind more live versions of H&V tho...) Live versions of rare songs like Wild Honey, Good Timin', Santa Ana Winds etc are what I consider good choices for the box. Ofc any studio material up to 1980 is welcomed (this does not include Goin' To The Beach or 15BO/MIU outtakes.)

I highly doubt I'll be disappointed in any way. This gunna be great!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: February 26, 2013, 12:52:07 AM »

Nothing shite, choose quality over songs which have already been released. this means no more stereo mixes of CalGirls or live versions of Surfin' USA /wouldnt mind more live versions of H&V tho...) Live versions of rare songs like Wild Honey, Good Timin', Santa Ana Winds etc are what I consider good choices for the box. Ofc any studio material up to 1980 is welcomed (this does not include Goin' To The Beach or 15BO/MIU outtakes.)

I highly doubt I'll be disappointed in any way. This gunna be great!

I think so too. I think that even songs that don't exactly figure in my own personal top list of the BBs might be very, very revealing in say, a much later live incarnation.

Moreover: this is a very prestigious project. It will be a complete career overview (OK there might be new BBs stuff on the horizon, or not, but you know what I mean). Therefore, failure is not an option, so to speak. If there was any time in history to get the remaining surprising material out in the open, it is now. Not ten years from now, but now.

Finally, given the direction the release of recorded music is heading, we don't even know whether in ten years' time there will be coherent box set releases being released at all. Perhaps it'll all be downloading... which I'm not partial to.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #929 on: February 26, 2013, 01:07:37 AM »

I like a physical release too Don  Shocked

If they ever did go down the Beach Boys central route though, something like releasing all the albums as multitracks would be fantastic. This is something that would appeal to a minority, who would be prepared to pay quite a high price for them. Downloads would be perfect.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: February 26, 2013, 02:01:25 AM »

I like a physical release too Don  Shocked

If they ever did go down the Beach Boys central route though, something like releasing all the albums as multitracks would be fantastic. This is something that would appeal to a minority, who would be prepared to pay quite a high price for them. Downloads would be perfect.

Thanks.

Do you mean by a multitrack release: all recordings, with all tracks taken apart in their constituent tracks, in 1 : 1 studio quality? IIRC Neil Young has trademarked/patented some transfer system that makes this possible, by the name of Pono or something like it.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #931 on: February 26, 2013, 02:09:27 AM »

MOGG files would do it, just load into something like Audacity
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #932 on: February 26, 2013, 02:32:28 AM »

I'm a novice - what is MOGG?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #933 on: February 26, 2013, 02:38:48 AM »

Box is career-spanning, not fan-selective. "Surfin'" to "TWGMTR" and all stops inbetween. Plus a few branch lines and disused stations.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #934 on: February 26, 2013, 03:05:47 AM »

Me too - I googled this up:  http://moggfiles.wordpress.com/ - interesting, but not as compelling as the groovey old hardware photos...

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: February 26, 2013, 03:47:22 AM »

Me too - I googled this up:  http://moggfiles.wordpress.com/ - interesting, but not as compelling as the groovey old hardware photos...

Cheers for the link! Yup, the Beatles console takes the biscuit, doesn't it?

rogerlancelot
« Reply #936 on: February 26, 2013, 04:58:14 AM »

There are tons of MOGG files out there from the Rock Band & Guitar Hero games which are a blast to make your own mixes out of. So far the only BB song to be used in one of the games is "Good Vibrations" (Live 1968 version) on Rock Band 3. I made a cool instrumental mix out of it but everything is a mess otherwise because the sound is bleeding through all of the tracks. For instance it is impossible to isolate the vocals because of the sounds of instruments coming through the microphones. The Beatles MOGGs are especially fun. Google some more and you might find a new interesting hobby.

Oh, and also there are genuine multitracks out there. Some Queen tracks, etc. where you have all 24 tracks to play around with. Now imagine having that with the 8 track Sunflower tapes.....
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #937 on: February 26, 2013, 05:26:27 AM »

Box is career-spanning, not fan-selective. "Surfin'" to "TWGMTR" and all stops inbetween. Plus a few branch lines and disused stations.

Um, will, um, Kokomo be on it?  Embarrassed

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: February 26, 2013, 05:28:52 AM »

Um, will, um, Kokomo be on it?  Embarrassed
I guess so. Cry

I am tired of buying the hits over and over. I hope the box set realise that the people who will buy the box are the diehard fans and make the contents deep-cut heavy.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: February 26, 2013, 05:44:38 AM »

True but do we really need another copy of say, "Barbara Ann"? There's already approximately 800 different ways to own that song. Hopefully the ratio of hits to rarities will please the hardcore fan, while still appealing to the person just getting into the band.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #940 on: February 26, 2013, 05:55:06 AM »

True but do we really need another copy of say, "Barbara Ann"?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #941 on: February 26, 2013, 06:34:25 AM »

So, we're getting Sounds of Summer mixed with Warmth of the Sun?

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: February 26, 2013, 07:05:49 AM »

Actually, yes, but don't tell anyone. Capitol has been sitting on a gazillion unsold copies of these. So they devised a plan: sly repackaging, in a big box, with so many paraphernalia in it that buyers won't notice that they got SOS and TWOTS (and problably a couple of other such comps) in new slipcases with new artwork.

I just heard that they have 'Live At Knebworth' coming up now as 'Central Park Concert 1979'.

You've got to admire the guts of these guys.

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #943 on: February 26, 2013, 07:09:41 AM »

Actually, yes, but don't tell anyone. Capitol has been sitting on a gazillion unsold copies of these. So they devised a plan: sly repackaging, in a big box, with so many paraphernalia in it that buyers won't notice that they got SOS and TWOTS (and problably a couple of other such comps) in new slipcases with new artwork.

I just heard that they have 'Live At Knebworth' coming up now as 'Central Park Concert 1979'.

You've got to admire the guts of these guys.

I'M TELLING EVERYONE!
HAVE YOU HEARD, EVERYONE?!?!?!?!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #944 on: February 26, 2013, 07:15:34 AM »

Nope - six CDs covering the bands career from 1961-2012. With rarities and previously unreleased material. This is the last time anything like this will be compiled, so - and call me crazy here - I'm guessing the compilers will get it right. But this isn't another Hawthorne CA which was aimed squarely at the hard-core fans and sold about as well as you'd imagine such a product would: it's a career spanning box for them as wants one, hence the following will be included:

Top 40 hits
'classic' cuts
deep catalog material
live material
rarities
unreleased tracks which, I'm sure will please and also infuriate all here.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: February 26, 2013, 07:27:52 AM »

Nope - six CDs covering the bands career from 1961-2012. With rarities and previously unreleased material. This is the last time anything like this will be compiled, so - and call me crazy here - I'm guessing the compilers will get it right. But this isn't another Hawthorne CA which was aimed squarely at the hard-core fans and sold about as well as you'd imagine such a product would: it's a career spanning box for them as wants one, hence the following will be included:

Top 40 hits
'classic' cuts
deep catalog material
live material
rarities
unreleased tracks which, I'm sure will please and also infuriate all here.

I wonder if they'll use the original mono mixes or the new stereo mixes for the pre-68 tracks.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #946 on: February 26, 2013, 07:43:17 AM »

Look, its easy, you just paddle out, turn around and raise, like this
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #947 on: February 26, 2013, 08:47:27 AM »

Genius ! Grin

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: February 26, 2013, 08:48:06 AM »

LOL

King Canute, original Beach Boy

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: February 26, 2013, 08:57:06 AM »

Brian needs a throne and crown like the king's. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx