gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680773 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 02:24:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 210990 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1275 on: April 10, 2013, 12:34:21 AM »

Gotta admit, he's a pretty strong argument against the theory of evolution.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: April 10, 2013, 12:41:24 AM »

Are you saying a deity would have chosen to create him?

“We live in divisive times.”
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1277 on: April 10, 2013, 01:15:59 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:57:58 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: April 10, 2013, 01:48:21 AM »

Are you saying a deity would have chosen to create him?

Never heard of Azathoth, the blind idiot god of the Necronomicon, then?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: April 10, 2013, 02:46:54 AM »

I'd never have guessed you were into fantasy games Andrew! Had you down as more of a chess kinda guy!  Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
PhilCohen
« Reply #1280 on: April 10, 2013, 06:08:14 AM »

Though the Arista deal was a one-album licensing deal...

No, it wasn't. As announced at the time, the Arista deal was for two albums. The option on the 2nd wasn't taken up in light of the dismal sales.

... it seemed to me(at the time) that if concerns about the playability of that copy-protected Christmas CD were to substantially harm sales, it would lessen the willingness of other labels to sign Brian, license his artist-owned recordings, or fund future recording projects. After all, labels base sales potential expectations on the sales of the artist's previous album.

When I reviewed the Brian Wilson Christmas CD, I was speaking in the context of that year, 2005. At that point, Brian's solo career had yet to yield an album that could be remotely described as a big hit.
Well it sure as hell dissuaded Capitol and Disney from signing him up for three more albums, didn't it. Oh, wait...

Phil, you need psychiatric help if you believe the sh*t you peddle.

Re-read my explanation. I said that it seemed (AT THE TIME). That CD review was written eight years ago.

Problem is, you never wrote that "it seemed" that his recording career was over. You stated it as a definitive fact. Just like you do with most of the other nonsense  you post. All you needed to do was add "in my opinion." Instead someone not knowledgeable about Brian Wilson could've read that review could've came away thinking he retired, which is nowhere near the case, even 8 years forward now. Stop spreading nonsense and no one will hold you accountable for the crap you spew.

Honestly Phil, I'm really disappointed that the box set isn't out yet. I can't wait to hear the new, unreleased stuff that's on there. I've grown kinda tired of waiting though, and it does suck that they haven't given us any real information on it since it was announced. Shoot, they didn't even give us the title. But the problem with you is that you look at this stuff as "product" and "the industry" and whatnot, instead of enjoying the music it seems. And when it finally gets announced, you deny it. That's just nonsensical. Yes, it sucks it's taken so long to come out, but it is indeed coming out soon, why not be happy about that?
PhilCohen
« Reply #1281 on: April 10, 2013, 06:15:37 AM »

When I reviewed the Brian Wilson Christmas CD on Amazon.com, I was speaking in the context of 2005.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: April 10, 2013, 06:20:01 AM »

When I reviewed the Brian Wilson Christmas CD on Amazon.com, I was speaking in the context of 2005.

Fair enough. But there was never any hint that Brian Wilson had retired. That's the problem. You wrote something that was absolutely full of sh*t, based on a stupid supposition, with no facts to back it up!

You'd think if Brian was even considering retiring from recording it would have been news on here. However, no such thing. If you find me an article to prove your point that in 2005 it looked like Brian's recording career was ending, I will admit you were right. I doubt you can though.

All you have to do is admit you were wrong and that you made it up.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1283 on: April 10, 2013, 07:02:59 AM »

Gotta admit, he's a pretty strong argument against the theory of evolution.

Not at all, if he doesn't have children. If he hasn't any kids, he is another proof for the theory of evolution. Evil

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1284 on: April 10, 2013, 07:43:37 AM »

I'd say one person constantly going against the grain and getting ripped apart by the group is proof in favour of natural selection! (not that it needs any proof)

I have a suspicion Phil enjoys his notoriety though.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:44:44 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1285 on: April 10, 2013, 07:45:55 AM »

Gotta admire Cohen's consistency - gets banned for spouting tedious nonsense with no basis in fact aside from his own considerable paranoia, is reinstated and promptly recommences said spouting without breaking stride or drawing breath. I can see another ban looming, and soon.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1286 on: April 10, 2013, 07:52:38 AM »

When I reviewed the Brian Wilson Christmas CD, I was speaking in the context of that year, 2005. At that point, Brian's solo career had yet to yield an album that could be remotely described as a big hit.

Brian Wilson, released 7/88, chart peak of #54
Brian Wilson presents Smile, released 9/04, chart peak of #13

That's two albums which charted comfortably inside the Billboard Top 200. One was Top 20, both were Top 75, and if that's not a hit I don't know what the f*** is. You don't know anything about Brian Wilson or The Beach Boys, do you ? No need to answer that, you've just proved it.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: April 10, 2013, 08:41:47 AM »

That's two albums which charted comfortably inside the Billboard Top 200. One was Top 20, both were Top 75, and if that's not a hit I don't know what the f*** is. You don't know anything about Brian Wilson or The Beach Boys, do you ? No need to answer that, you've just proved it.

He doesn't care about Brian Wilson or The Beach Boys. He cares about "CD product" and the "industry".
PhilCohen
« Reply #1288 on: April 10, 2013, 08:45:33 AM »

Fair enough. But there was never any hint that Brian Wilson had retired. That's the problem. You wrote something that was absolutely full of sh*t, based on a stupid supposition, with no facts to back it up!

You'd think if Brian was even considering retiring from recording it would have been news on here. However, no such thing. If you find me an article to prove your point that in 2005 it looked like Brian's recording career was ending, I will admit you were right. I doubt you can though.

I NEVER said (in that review of Brian's Christmas CD) that Brian was retiring, but actually, I was expressing concern that Arista's use of that copy protection process could scare away potential purchasers of that CD, and, as a result, damage the future of Brian's recording career. Luckily, though sales were poor for the Christmas CD, Brian subsequently recorded(sometimes with commercial success) for 3 other labels. Incidentally, I DID purchase a later, reissue edition of the Christmas CD.
Nicko1234
« Reply #1289 on: April 10, 2013, 08:46:28 AM »

I don't think BW88 would be described as a big hit by many people...
PhilCohen
« Reply #1290 on: April 10, 2013, 08:51:20 AM »

He doesn't care about Brian Wilson or The Beach Boys. He cares about "CD product" and the "industry".

Pop & Rock music are commercial arts. CD's are "Product", and the fans who purchase them are "Consumers". That is reality, especially with the industry now consolidated (mostly) into the hands of three monolithic corporations.

Incidentally, despite what many of you think, I hope that the Beach Boys box set is released. What I object to is a big corporation playing secretive games with the consumers who wanted to buy it. Will the box set be worth all that we've been put through? Time will tell.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: April 10, 2013, 08:53:10 AM »

I NEVER said (in that review of Brian's Christmas CD) that Brian was retiring, but actually, I was expressing concern that Arista's use of that copy protection process could scare away potential purchasers of that CD, and, as a result, damage the future of Brian's recording career. Luckily, though sales were poor for the Christmas CD, Brian subsequently recorded(sometimes with commercial success) for 3 other labels. Incidentally, I DID purchase a later, reissue edition of the Christmas CD.

Thing is, you weren't just "expressing concern". You said, and I quote "Arista Records has ended Brian Wilson's recording career,but not to worry;there's a lot more Beach Boys audio & video archival material in the vaults,and Wilson recently indicated that he will permit further vault projects.".

You made it clear that Brian's recording career was over. You were not "expressing concern". Your statement was knowingly false. You hadn't a clue what you were talking about then, just as you don't today.
PhilCohen
« Reply #1292 on: April 10, 2013, 08:53:31 AM »

O.K., in this instance you are correct. I had thought that the Christmas CD predated "Brian Wilson Presents Smile", when, in fact, it followed "Brian Wilson Presents Smile".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1293 on: April 10, 2013, 09:19:53 AM »

Incidentally, despite what many of you think, I hope that the Beach Boys box set is released. What I object to is a big corporation playing secretive games with the consumers who wanted to buy it. Will the box set be worth all that we've been put through? Time will tell.

What I object to is someone with precisely zero knowledge of the "product" in question projecting their paranoid fantasies onto an entirely innocent delay.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1294 on: April 10, 2013, 09:26:05 AM »

O.K., in this instance you are correct. I had thought that the Christmas CD predated "Brian Wilson Presents Smile", when, in fact, it followed "Brian Wilson Presents Smile".

Such breathtaking ignorance of a very basic fact: it's not surprising that your knowledge of anything else you've pissed all over these last few years is equally limited. Piece of advice, freely given: try to know a little concerning the subject you're pontificating about. It enhances your position and, more importantly, stops you looking like a complete dick.

PhilCohen
« Reply #1295 on: April 10, 2013, 09:32:20 AM »

This festival of fan to fan hatred that has been unleashed on this forum is draining away much of the pleasure that this CD box set might have brought. When listening to this box set(if it is released), it will always (in my mind) be associated with the lengthy debate on this forum.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: April 10, 2013, 09:40:47 AM »

No-one's playing secretive games. No-one's 'been put through' anything. Not saying anything until you've got something new to say isn't 'playing secretive games' but just getting on with things.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1297 on: April 10, 2013, 09:42:18 AM »

This festival of fan to fan hatred that has been unleashed on this forum is draining away much of the pleasure that this CD box set might have brought. When listening to this box set(if it is released), it will always (in my mind) be associated with the lengthy debate on this forum.

Excellent - then my purpose is achieved. Me, I'll be listening to the music.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: April 10, 2013, 09:46:57 AM »

The box set should include a transcript of this energetic conversation. Written with indelible, non-washable ink, with a goose feather, calligraphed onto parchment of the highest quality, and bound into a neat roll.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: April 10, 2013, 09:50:23 AM »

One thing you've got to hand to Phil is his abilty to unite Smiley posters who usually can't agree on anything between them.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx