gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 12:30:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 211149 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: March 14, 2013, 08:23:07 AM »

So is there any hope that Made in California is still going to happen?

Yes, it is.

Probably no time in the near future. It is kinda ridiculous that they haven't really given us any real info on it since it was announced like 15 months ago. Unlike Phil Cohen, I don't feel they owe me anything, but I gotta say I've gotten to the point where I'm not even expecting it to come out. When details finally get released, then it'll happen. Whatever.

In total agreement. It really seems like the BBs had a master plan that lasted precisely until the last show in England. At that point, everything else -- personal relationships, works in progress, you name it -- promptly went to sh*t.

When has a plan by the beach boys ever not gone to sh*t. Even the C50 tour went to sh*t.

It did? I wasn't aware of that. Are you referring to the wee spat in the LA Times? I would hardly classify that as "gone to sh*t".
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: March 14, 2013, 08:35:29 AM »

Word has it they're busy putting together an hour long "Water Suite". They've been recording Brian's toilet and shower and mapping the sounds to actual pitches so that Brian can finally capture what he's been hearing all these years.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: March 14, 2013, 10:13:43 AM »

When has a plan by the beach boys ever not gone to sh*t. Even the C50 tour went to sh*t.

And how did the C50 tour go to sh*t, Shady?  It didn't go to sh*t for me or for millions of fans.  I believe the reunion was a success. The Beach Boys fulfilled their obligations and more.  I don't understand how you could say it went to sh*t.

You're on a roll, Shady.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: March 14, 2013, 10:18:55 AM »

It went to sh*t at the end because the BBs started fighting as usual. Mike's press release will rank in the top five of bad ML decisions and that is saying a lot.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: March 14, 2013, 10:33:51 AM »

Guess I'm dumb, but I still don't know what you mean with "chorus lag". Surf's Up doesn't have a chorus. Can you tell me the time in the track where this lag appears?

Speaking of Surf's Up, if I had a wish for MIC that would be fulfilled, I'd want a version of the early 1970s live version they did with an orchestra, mixed for stereo with the orchestra in one channel and everything else in the other. I could then "overdub" the orchestra onto the TSS version, that would be pretty near my dream version of Surf's Up. I'm realistic enough to realize that this is a pretty unrealistic wish...
Well, call it a 'refrain,' if that suits you better, but when I used the word 'chorus,' I was referring to the "Columnated ruins..." section of the song.  The lag occurs during the word "domino," with the most pronounced difference from prevuous versions of the song taking place during the syllable "min."

It's not neccessarily an 'error,' though the stereo version of the song on TSS has a less pronounced drift, so I have to wonder if perhaps some sort of oversight was, indeed, made.  I imagine it was a purposeful artictic decision which results in a looser feel (and it's not altogether unpleasant), but as no other version of the song ever released (or performed live, that we know of) has this change in cadence from a strict, 'in the pocket' delivery, I find it jarring and still haven't been able to get entirely used to it.  And before you start to wonder, no, I'm not just hearing things - it really is different, if subtly so, from the other versions of "Surf's Up" (and based on the comments here when TSS first dropped, I'm not the only one to have noticed).

Your idea for using an orchestral overdub is inspired, but unless the tempo of the live version was performed to exacting standards (and at the same tempo as the studio version), it would be tough to achieve the desired effect.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1080 on: March 14, 2013, 10:39:54 AM »

Speaking of Surf's Up, if I had a wish for MIC that would be fulfilled, I'd want a version of the early 1970s live version they did with an orchestra, mixed for stereo with the orchestra in one channel and everything else in the other. I could then "overdub" the orchestra onto the TSS version, that would be pretty near my dream version of Surf's Up. I'm realistic enough to realize that this is a pretty unrealistic wish...
Your idea for using an orchestral overdub is inspired, but unless the tempo of the live version was performed to exacting standards (and at the same tempo as the studio version), it would be tough to achieve the desired effect.

And, a recording of the live "orchestra" version would have to exist on multi-track tape...and I don't believe it does.  Awhile back, Alan mentioned on this board that there are no multi-track live tapes from '71, when they dubuted the song live at Carnegie Hall that September with 5 NYC French horn players.  '72 is another matter, but I don't think the Boston Commons show from that August, with members of the Boston Symphony or Philharmonic accompanying for the second half of the concert, including "Surf's Up", is one of the shows that was professionally recorded.  Which is too bad.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: March 14, 2013, 10:55:18 AM »

And how did the C50 tour go to sh*t, Shady?  It didn't go to sh*t for me or for millions of fans.  I believe the reunion was a success. The Beach Boys fulfilled their obligations and more.  I don't understand how you could say it went to sh*t.

You're on a roll, Shady.

Yup.  Mikie's completely right.  The guys fulfilled every single performance, interview and appearance throughout that tour.  No one bailed, no one left midway through---they all reached the end point just as they had agreed to. 

Just because they didn't keep going doesn't mean the initial tour was a bust.  Far from it.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: March 14, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »

It went to sh*t at the end because the BBs started fighting as usual. Mike's press release will rank in the top five of bad ML decisions and that is saying a lot.

The timing and some of the phrasing might have been out but it hardly amounted to the whole thing going to sh*t.  Mike just had to go back to the day job; others' interpretation of the news put a daft skew on the situation… Brian's response was also wanting. But this has been batted about so many times it doesn't need repeating.

“We live in divisive times.”
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: March 14, 2013, 11:03:31 AM »

Guess I'm dumb, but I still don't know what you mean with "chorus lag". Surf's Up doesn't have a chorus. Can you tell me the time in the track where this lag appears?

Well, call it a 'refrain,' if that suits you better, but when I used the word 'chorus,' I was referring to the "Columnated ruins..." section of the song.  The lag occurs during the word "domino," with the most pronounced difference from prevuous versions of the song taking place during the syllable "min."

It's not neccessarily an 'error,' though the stereo version of the song on TSS has a less pronounced drift, so I have to wonder if perhaps some sort of oversight was, indeed, made.  I imagine it was a purposeful artictic decision which results in a looser feel (and it's not altogether unpleasant), but as no other version of the song ever released (or performed live, that we know of) has this change in cadence from a strict, 'in the pocket' delivery, I find it jarring and still haven't been able to get entirely used to it.  And before you start to wonder, no, I'm not just hearing things - it really is different, if subtly so, from the other versions of "Surf's Up" (and based on the comments here when TSS first dropped, I'm not the only one to have noticed).

I think it's that way because to fix it they would have to resort to excessive digital trickery, as the piano demo and the backing track are ever-so-slightly different in tempo, and certainly if I was them I'd leave that vocal the hell alone. We all know the digital trickery on TSS is a mixed bag.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: March 14, 2013, 11:50:31 AM »

You're on a roll, Shady.

The C50 tour went perfectly, it was the aftermath that could of been handled better.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: March 14, 2013, 01:17:17 PM »

Oh yeah, I agree with you, Smile Brian and Mike's Beard. The tour went down great, but what happened afterwards could have been handled much better of course.* No doubt about that. But to say the tour went to sh*t just isn't right. More shows were even added to the original schedule to make people happy. And it did!

We got the memories documented in detail on this board, Justin, thanks to all the compiling you did!  It was fun.   Grin

* And we got a brand spankin' new studio album from them too.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:24:35 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: March 14, 2013, 09:44:19 PM »

It was fun indeed, wasn't it Mikie?  Great times!  Cool
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: March 14, 2013, 10:25:58 PM »

Obviously the tour was incredible for all of us and the boys delivered the goods at every single show.

I stand by what I said though, instead of it being a memorable experience of "Harmony" etc, it was plagued by bad press and the feeling of a band divided. The tour was incredible and then it went to sh*t. Don't tell me Mike's awful press release and all the bullshit that followed didn't leave a bitter taste in everyone's mouth. It was school yard antics from a bunch of adults celebrating a 50th anniversary.

Also when I say "went to sh*t" I'm not referencing the shows, they never suffered. I'm talking about The Beach Boys themselves and how IMO the reunion didn't really seem to repair the disconnect between the guys at all

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1088 on: March 14, 2013, 10:43:41 PM »

the only bad thing about the end of the reunion was all the losers complaining about it on the internet.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1089 on: March 14, 2013, 11:32:16 PM »

^Word

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1090 on: March 15, 2013, 12:31:44 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:41:51 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1091 on: March 15, 2013, 12:34:09 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:42:15 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: March 15, 2013, 12:47:02 AM »

the only bad thing about the end of the reunion was all the losers complaining about it on the internet.

Quite.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1093 on: March 15, 2013, 01:32:03 AM »

I don't think the Boston Commons show from that August, with members of the Boston Symphony or Philharmonic accompanying for the second half of the concert, including "Surf's Up", is one of the shows that was professionally recorded.

Grmph!... I hate the Beach Boys!!! Angry

How could they not record such an event?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1094 on: March 15, 2013, 01:38:00 AM »

The lag occurs during the word "domino," with the most pronounced difference from prevuous versions of the song taking place during the syllable "min."

Hm... listened to it, still don't know what you mean - not saying you don't have a point, I just dont get it.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: March 25, 2013, 01:59:48 AM »

(vanity bump)

I was away for awhile (11 days). Has there been no info at all about the box in this interim?  Huh

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: March 25, 2013, 02:01:37 AM »

Thank god for commonsense – many thanks Don, best post of the week. Very timely and welcome.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1097 on: March 25, 2013, 02:09:39 AM »

Even the eternally sunny optimists amongst us must be beginning to wonder whether this project may have fallen by the wayside. Come on Capitol, some news please!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: March 25, 2013, 02:34:46 AM »

Thanks John and Steven -

I wrote this because I noticed that the board had resorted to obsessing over trivia again (no bad thing, mind, it's a funny and worthwhile pastime in itself); but I am most happy if there's a 'big event' (in this case: an important release) to balance things out a bit.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: March 25, 2013, 02:40:36 AM »

Time we had that drink, thee & me Don… I've a bottle of Glen Moray in, any time you're passing…  (I finished the Ardbeg!)

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx