gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 05:43:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
Friends - 60 (69%)
20/20 - 27 (31%)
Total Voters: 78

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #14: Friends vs. 20/20  (Read 14027 times)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 06:40:38 AM »

Every time I'm in a rut, I pop in Friends, and instantly, I'm riding a unicorn through an enchanted forest. Friends is that cool.
20/20 is great, but compared to Friends, it's like riding my puppy through a paper forest.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 06:43:14 AM »

Friends. One of the great 'albums' they made, everything vibes and fits together neatly.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 07:39:21 AM »

I'll have to go with Friends20/20 has some great music, too, but there are a few too many songs that I'm indifferent to on it ("Bluebirds Over the Mountain," "Cotton Fields," "I Went to Sleep").  Friends has great songs and none that I don't love, at least in the context of the album.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 09:04:40 AM »

Not that this makes one album better than the other, but just an opinionated observation - Friends' songs (for the most part) work better together. 20/20's tracks have more of an impact seperately. I don't think there is any perfect sequencing of 20/20 - it is a very good album that shows of the talents of each band member, but because each band member was so different at that time, you get what seems like a hodge-podge (but really isn't!).

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, 08:00:14 PM »

20/20 just won it. Friends is a great album but is let down by the last two tracks. 20/20 is a great collection of songs but has absolutely terrible sequencing which is why I sequence the tracks differently and it makes the album much, much better. Also, Be Still gets on my nerves. Hurry the hell up. But I love Dennis. I even love Make It Good which this board seems to hate. 20/20 is a fantastic album with great inclusions from everyone.

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
veryape
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2012, 09:50:29 PM »

friends=the best 60s Beach Boys album...

its soooo under-rated  thats its a crime in music.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:59:46 PM by veryape » Logged
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 10:03:23 PM »

So 20/20 is a hodgepodge? So is Sgt. Pepper, and they say it's one of the greatest albums ever! I just can't understand, what people have against variety...

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 10:32:16 PM »

So 20/20 is a hodgepodge? So is Sgt. Pepper, and they say it's one of the greatest albums ever! I just can't understand, what people have against variety...

For me, I could probably sit down and write out the tracklist for Friends with a fair amount of ease. 20/20, it might take some time to remember a few specific songs being on that album and I'd go through hell trying to get the tracklist right. I think that's what people are getting at more so than attacking variety, which I'm always a fan of.

The album has this slight "compilation" feel to it, too, probably because it borders on being one in that several of the songs weren't recorded specifically for it and were a few years old at the time. I'm not one of those dummies who complains about a band putting out songs that are a little older than the rest, just sayin' that when done to the extent it is on 20/20, it does contribute to the hodgepodge nature of the album.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2012, 05:48:43 AM »

Is anyone here a big fan of All I Want To Do?
I always end up skipping it.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2012, 07:25:52 AM »

Sgt Pepper has variety but it sounds cohesive. Likewise with Friends: you have a waltz, you have bossa nova, hawaiian tunes, a song whose sole instrument is the organ...THAT is variety but the album sounds cohesive. There was a vision when making Friends....20/20 lacks a vision....thus people find the hodgepodge variety to be overwhelming....at least I do.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2012, 08:41:52 AM »

I must be the only one....

It's good fun to drum along to too.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2012, 01:31:18 AM »

One of the best BB songs, shows how musically diverse they are. Makes 20/20 great.

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2012, 04:15:45 PM »

Friends is better.  My favorite is Wake The World.  I love the tuba part with Brain's vocal.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2012, 10:19:07 AM »

One of my least favorite BBs tracks.  It's a rockin' little tune, but it comes off as really pretentious IMO.  Like they were trying to do something different and edgy, but not quite nailing it, like they would later on with tunes like It's About Time, etc.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2012, 12:31:25 AM »

Cabinessence
Time to Get Alone
Little Bird
Be With Me
Busy Doin' Nothin'
Friends
I Went to Sleep
Be Here in the Mornin'
Diamond Head
Never Learn Not to Love
I Can Hear Music
Anna Lee, the Healer
Wake the World
Do It Again
Our Prayer
Transcendental Meditation
When a Man Needs a Woman
Cotton Fields (The Cotton Song)
The Nearest Faraway Place
Meant For You
Passing By
All I Want to Do
Bluebirds Over the Mountain
Be Still

It's close, but mathematically anyways 20/20 is the victor.  I was torn on this one because Friends is quite obviously the more cohesive album.  They're on the complete opposite of the spectrum in that regard.  20/20 is more of a mishmash but contains some superb baroque pop and showed their return to more polished production.  Ultimately I suppose it's appropriate that 20/20 is my final vote given my username here.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2012, 08:47:54 AM »

One of my least favorite BBs tracks.  It's a rockin' little tune, but it comes off as really pretentious IMO.  Like they were trying to do something different and edgy, but not quite nailing it, like they would later on with tunes like It's About Time, etc.

My thoughts exactly!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2012, 10:39:18 AM »

I get how people might not like All I Want To Do (though personally i love it - Dennis seemed to be the only member at this point making an effort to try to keep the band hip/relevant) - but pretentious? Totally the wrong critisism to throw at it. I'd say there's literally nothing even remotely pretentious about it whatsoever. Totally the wrong choice of word entirely.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2012, 12:00:49 PM »

I get how people might not like All I Want To Do (though personally i love it - Dennis seemed to be the only member at this point making an effort to try to keep the band hip/relevant) - but pretentious? Totally the wrong critisism to throw at it. I'd say there's literally nothing even remotely pretentious about it whatsoever. Totally the wrong choice of word entirely.

.....said the guy with absolutely no handle on how to make a quote!  Evil   Just kidding, brother! Just pointing out that you don't hafta take my opinion as an insult.

It's not a wrong choice of words because I do find the song to be pretentious, at least for the BBs.  Not a bad song; just not a BBs song.  The Doors probably would have been right at home doing this song.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2012, 04:25:39 PM »

Thinking All I Want To Do is pretentious is in fact extremely pretentious.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2012, 09:43:24 PM »

No, not really...
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2012, 08:59:20 AM »

No, not really...

Yes, it is. Hush now.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2012, 02:15:46 PM »

No, not really...

Yes, it is. Hush now.

Quiet now

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2012, 04:53:39 PM »

No, not really...

Yes, it is. Hush now.

Quiet now

Um, yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say no.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2012, 05:28:25 PM »

fascinating stuff here.

so it looks like FRIENDS is the winner. hands down.  Banana
bluesno1fann
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2014, 02:13:12 AM »

20/20 for me. I've always preferred it over Friends.

Be With Me, All I Want To Do, Never Learn Not To Love, I Can Hear Music, Cabinessence, etc. You can't go wrong! (except for Do It Again, and I Went To Sleep)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx