gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:17:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: new BB cartoon/new forum image??  (Read 14367 times)
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2012, 08:18:45 PM »

Hey yall!  I'm the guy who did that Brian getting older flash animation... and I have something else I wanna show you guys!

I've always wanted a cool cartoony Beach Boys shirt.  Well, I've always wanted a cartoony Beach Boys CARTOON, like the Beatles had their cartoon, and then to have a t-shirt of that.  But oh well.  So I'm making my own cartoon shirt!

What do you guys think of the design and likeness of the boys?  Do they all seem to be in the same style?  Do you like the names?  Should it say Alan or Al?  Is Carl weird?  Did I capture Mike's sh*t eating grin?  Does Al look too much like a Spiderman villain?  Is Dennis too handsome and un-Dennisy?   Keep in mind, these are supposed to be slightly LOOSE caricatures, trying to keep it simple.  Wanted to keep is as simple as the Beatles cartoons, but just can't seem to keep that simple. 

Anyways, all input appreciated!  And also... if you guys would like a fresh new image for the upper right of the page, you can totally use this!  (no offense to the South Park BBs!!)

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 08:36:32 PM »

It wouldn't be a bad thing to change the name to "'California' Al Jardine"

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 08:38:55 PM »

I think that's great and would make a cool banner image (I honestly can't stand the South Park one).  Nice work.  Smiley

I do think you should make it so Dennis and Mike aren't squinting but that's all.  But overall, it really looks awesome.

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 08:53:25 PM »

My lady and I agree the answer is "yes" to all of your questions. Go with your gut.
BTW, they are fantastic as they are!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 11:57:52 PM »

Brilliant !

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 04:52:10 AM »

This is a wonderful piece of art, screw the south park picture. You could add Bruce or Dave if you feel like expanding beyond the "original" 5 members.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 04:54:24 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 05:06:11 AM »

Great job! I second the notion of adding Bruce and Dave (unless that makes it too cluttered), and using it in place of the South Park BBs.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 05:18:19 AM »

Great job! I second the notion of adding Bruce and Dave (unless that makes it too cluttered), and using it in place of the South Park BBs.
I think seven pictures would be kind of cluttered, so the original picture would work fine.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 07:09:07 AM »

Cool cool!  Who decides on what pictures goes up on the site?  Whoever you are, contact me if you're interested and want a different crop on the image, different size, etc, and I'll set it up.

I might add Bruce and Dave in the future... and maybe even Ricki and Blondie, just for fun.  But for the purpose of being a forum image, maybe more than 5 would be too cluttered...
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 08:04:58 AM »

Awesome.

You've been very kind to Mike's hairline...

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 09:09:15 AM »

Awesome.

Hehe.  I've been kind to Mike's WHOLE FACE.  Smiley

But yeah, I guess I'm doing slightly cuter versions of the real thing.  Making the boys look a little more palatable.    Except for Al who will always look like the Green Goblin.
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 02:37:25 PM »

Very, very cool.  I would buy a shirt of that if it were available.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 04:28:50 PM »

Awesome.

But yeah, I guess I'm doing slightly cuter versions of the real thing.  Making the boys look a little more palatable.    Except for Al who will always look like the Green Goblin.

Mike and Dennis look Oriental!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 04:19:45 AM »

This is kick ass, but agree about the squinting thing. Carl looks adorable!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 06:01:26 AM »

Thanks ya'll!  I was going for a really LOL moment with Dennis and Mike... like, this Mike face...

(the group photo one)

I just always think of Mike with a big goofy smile which makes him squinty.  But I'll see how it looks non-super-squinty..
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 06:02:33 AM »

Hehe, heck, all the boys get pretty squinty when they smile!  The Wilson Bros were championship level squinters.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 06:44:00 AM »

Al looks like that mean monkey from Pirates of the Caribbean, Mike looks Chinese and Brian looks kinda mentally retarded. But apart from that - neat job! I think it would make a nice (and original) replacement for the old South Park banner.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 07:43:45 AM »

Can you all stop calling Al various names, such as "Spiderman villain", "the Green Goblin", "mean monkey" and others? Show some respect to him! As I recall, everyone here thinks that he's the best singer of the remaining Beach Boys & in various 50th Anniversary threads considered as the star of the shows. So now, at the same time you give him teasing names?? I don't understand it.
Huh You do understand I was talking about Al's caricature, not the man himself, right? If he would indeed look like a mean monkey, I wouldn't criticise the caricature.

Besides, Al really doesn't look like a mean monkey. He looks like the crypt-keeper.
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 07:46:32 AM »

Hehe, I never called him "mean monkey"!   Smiley

For what it's worth, it's a... loving tease.  The kind of loving tease that you can only do to someone you love.  I do love Al, and his voice is amazing and From There to Back Again is amazing and he should get more leads etc etc.

But as much as I love and respect the boys, they are also flawed human beings, not to mention some mostly goofy looking dudes, and I think it's OK to lovingly tease your idols.

You know, like, "with a voice like yours when you open your mouth it's a big put down," or "well at least I don't sound like mickey mouse with a sore throat!"

I also think it's ok to call Brian Wilson "turtle-like." 

(and to be fair to Al, he didn't really start looking like goblinny until his latter years..)
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 08:12:28 AM »

OMG you guys, brilliant idea.  Beach Boys as animals!  Brian is a wise old turtle, Al is a cheeky monkey, Carl is a loveable huggable bear, Dennis is a... maybe a tiger, some handsome animal.  And Mike is... I guess Mike is really a monkey too. Smiley

Alright, I have to go draw this right now!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 05:55:47 PM »

i agree

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2012, 10:27:28 PM »

FANTASTIC!  Keep it like it is.  Don't beat yourself over trying to perfect every detail of something that's supposed to be fun (fun, fun).  You did an unbelievable job with those details already!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 10:12:44 PM »

Awesome.

In fact that's the only one that I don't think is that similar to the original. Otherwise, as stated, brilliant.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 01:37:59 PM »

Btw, this shirt is looking pretty good!   Smiley

If you like it you can buy it here, in a multitude of colors!

http://society6.com/dellydel/Alan--Dennis--Brian--Mike--Carl_T-shirt#11=49&4=103
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 01:50:40 PM »

Very cool. I'll be getting one

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx