gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:36:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" box set (part 2)  (Read 29810 times)
mrralan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2012, 03:10:21 PM »

I'm not getting involved except to say that WIBNTLA is not a Beach Boy project and therefore would not be "PROPER" for an album produced by The Beach Boys.

There are plenty of solo tracks on Beach Boys albums.

Is there a list somewhere of solo tracks on Beach Boys albums?  I would like to know what they are.  I agree with SonoraDick...solo tracks should be kept on solo albums.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2012, 03:11:12 PM »

I'm really hoping that some songs on this set will be laid out like this:

1) Still I Dream of It (demo)
2) Still I Dream of It (studio session)
3) Still I Dream of It (2012 remaster)

So we'll get some demos, studio chatter, maybe alternate takes, and remasters of these songs....all in chronological order.

I have a boot somewhere of "Still I Dream Of It" that has a MUCH cleaner and sonically better (closer generation to the master?) version than what was released on the IJWMFTT CD!  I think Dumb Angel has a version on there that's better than the released. Or maybe it's on the "Still I Dream Of It" Japanese CD - can't remember.Hard to believe they couldn't find a better version for release. One instance where the boot is better!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 03:13:23 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2012, 03:12:02 PM »

For your salivation purposes:

http://esquarterly.com/bellagio/vaults.html

Courtesy of Bellagio, this was posted on the old thread - a list of unreleased BB and solo tracks. The mind boggles....

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2012, 03:19:02 PM »

I'm really hoping that some songs on this set will be laid out like this:

1) Still I Dream of It (demo)
2) Still I Dream of It (studio session)
3) Still I Dream of It (2012 remaster)

So we'll get some demos, studio chatter, maybe alternate takes, and remasters of these songs....all in chronological order.

I have a boot somewhere of "Still I Dream Of It" that has a MUCH cleaner and sonically better (closer generation to the master?) version than what was released on the IJWMFTT CD!  I think Dumb Angel has a version on there that's better than the released. Or maybe it's on the "Still I Dream Of It" Japanese CD - can't remember.Hard to believe they couldn't find a better version for release. One instance where the boot is better!

I was actually going to mention how I wish they could clean up the home demo from IJWMFTT, but I figured that's the best quality they could get!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2012, 03:23:35 PM »

For your salivation purposes:

http://esquarterly.com/bellagio/vaults.html

Courtesy of Bellagio, this was posted on the old thread - a list of unreleased BB and solo tracks. The mind boggles....

Thud

I would pay big money for a set that included all of these songs...

ps...thanks for linking that EgoHanger

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2012, 03:45:18 PM »

All the mid-to-late eighties Brian solo listings look really cool - I mean, you can't tell much by a title, but.....if AGD is reading this - how much of that was actually demo'ed or recorded?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2012, 03:56:33 PM »

Yep, the circulating version of that demo session sounds much better than the one track used in the IJWMFTT soundtrack. The demo session sounds like it was professionally recorded, very well possibly in an actual studio (with in-line vocal and piano mics; in other words, it's not like a cassette deck just set on top of a piano at home). The entire demo session deserves to be released. Sure, there is some slight dreck ("Mona", "Love is a Woman"), but the demos of "Still I Dream of It" and "It's Over Now" are great, and hearing the bystanders (Mike at least is audible; some of his comments are very interesting) in awe of stuff like "Airplane", "I'll Bet He's Nice", and "Let's Put Our Hearts Together" is great.

The one track on the IJWMFTT soundtrack sounds so inferior that I actually wouldn't be surprised if they actually purposely made it sound worse to make it sound more like a scratchy "home demo." Pure conjecture of course, but it literally sounds like the higher quality tape if you dubbed it to cassette about five generations down.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2012, 04:14:43 PM »

Yep, the circulating version of that demo session sounds much better than the one track used in the IJWMFTT soundtrack. The demo session sounds like it was professionally recorded, very well possibly in an actual studio (with in-line vocal and piano mics; in other words, it's not like a cassette deck just set on top of a piano at home). The entire demo session deserves to be released. Sure, there is some slight dreck ("Mona", "Love is a Woman"), but the demos of "Still I Dream of It" and "It's Over Now" are great, and hearing the bystanders (Mike at least is audible; some of his comments are very interesting) in awe of stuff like "Airplane", "I'll Bet He's Nice", and "Let's Put Our Hearts Together" is great.

The one track on the IJWMFTT soundtrack sounds so inferior that I actually wouldn't be surprised if they actually purposely made it sound worse to make it sound more like a scratchy "home demo." Pure conjecture of course, but it literally sounds like the higher quality tape if you dubbed it to cassette about five generations down.

Anyone know what this boot is called? I'd love to get a hold of these high quality Love You demos.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2012, 04:29:11 PM »

"Brian Loves You".

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2012, 04:33:13 PM »

Thanks. I have that one, but I've never noticed Mike's talking in it. Maybe I just didn't listen close enough.

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2012, 05:21:08 PM »

To think of the things they could so to us with this box set.... It's scary. Will the Boys use their powers for good or evil? What, exactly, is their intention? Who is their intended audience?

Will it be the last word from the vaults, or will more trickle out over time?
 Huh
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2012, 05:23:05 PM »

I think everybody will be very happy when it comes out sooner than you'd think but not as soon as we'd hope for.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2012, 05:32:13 PM »

Things like the demo session talked about above are great, but I feel as if they should remain officially unreleased. It's not like The Beach Boys would be proud of them in 2012, and we have them in more than acceptable quality, it's not hard to find....and also I think it's kind of cool for the community to have underground things that just stay that way.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2012, 05:42:47 PM »

Thanks. I have that one, but I've never noticed Mike's talking in it. Maybe I just didn't listen close enough.

Dumb Angel Rarities Vol. 3 also has the Love You demos in pretty good quality.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2012, 05:45:49 PM »

There are just quick bits where you can hear Mike. He tells Brian after "Airplane" that he (Mike) wants the lead, and jokes that he'll quit the group of Brian doesn't give him the lead. After another song, Mike mentions somethi.ng that "those last two were motherf***ers. Mike (and it sounds like some others) just audibly get really excited during the middle of "I'll Bet He's Nice."

What this tape shows is that, in the right context, unguarded and not in public, Mike and the others did appreciate Brian's music, even the "non-commercial" stuff. That tape is the main item that makes me think Mike *can* appreciate great music, great chord changes, etc. even if they aren't "commercial" by some arbitrary standard.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »

Thanks Mikie! I'll try to find that.

@HeyJude: Thanks for transcribing! Shame that enthusiasm didn't carry over after the release.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2012, 09:34:35 PM »

Well, this thread managed to stay on topic for, what, about six posts? Sort of.

Wondering how you folks think this from Stephen Desper...

I did go to the "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" thread and read all the posts. All I can say is that about 85% of the statements are just conjucture ... nothing in fact ... blah, blah, blah.  I'm not getting involved except to say that WIBNTLA is not a Beach Boy project and therefore would not be "PROPER" for an album produced by The Beach Boys.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,1203.1325.html

... might relate to the song's possible inclusion on the box set. I understand he was referring to a "new" album rather than a box set, and it's his opinion rather than a content decision-maker. It just made me wonder. Hopefully, we'll find out soon!

I guess Caroline, No doesn't belong on Pet Sounds then!

Neither do the two instrumentals! Evil

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2012, 10:38:35 PM »

On my phone, can`t quote.   In response to the post about Love appreciating the non commercial stuff in private, I`ll Bet He`s Nice wasn`t really that out there. With more "mainstream" 70s disco or soft rock instrumentation, it could have been a huge hit.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2012, 01:36:21 AM »

Bonus downloads to anyone who wants them of Brian's mixes of "15 Big Ones", "Love You", The original mix of "BB85" and as a bonus, "Summer in Paradise" with all the reverb taken off the drums and the phase effects taken off the vocals and a bonus track of Brian listening to "Summer of Love" giving a running commentary of his opinions of it.. LOL
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2012, 01:41:47 AM »

More of the live stuff from Hawaii '67 – and I wouldn't complain if it was both shows in their entirety with bonus rehearsals and studio overdubs - wouldn't go amiss.

“We live in divisive times.”
rogerlancelot
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2012, 03:25:32 AM »

Well, this thread managed to stay on topic for, what, about six posts? Sort of.

Wondering how you folks think this from Stephen Desper...

I did go to the "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" thread and read all the posts. All I can say is that about 85% of the statements are just conjucture ... nothing in fact ... blah, blah, blah.  I'm not getting involved except to say that WIBNTLA is not a Beach Boy project and therefore would not be "PROPER" for an album produced by The Beach Boys.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,1203.1325.html

... might relate to the song's possible inclusion on the box set. I understand he was referring to a "new" album rather than a box set, and it's his opinion rather than a content decision-maker. It just made me wonder. Hopefully, we'll find out soon!

I guess Caroline, No doesn't belong on Pet Sounds then!

Neither do the two instrumentals! Evil

Not to mention "Diamond Head" from Friends. And now while we're at it, is there any proof that any Beach Boys besides Brian appear on "Busy Doin' Nothin'"?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2012, 03:36:25 AM »

More of the live stuff from Hawaii '67 – and I wouldn't complain if it was both shows in their entirety with bonus rehearsals and studio overdubs - wouldn't go amiss.
These shows are historic, but bit sloppy as well. I would love to see what Mark Linett and Alan Boyd could do with these shows and the studio rehearsals. Maybe make twofer with the 1966 "live in michigan", which is the full document of the group without Brian for better or worse.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2012, 03:38:58 AM »

There are just quick bits where you can hear Mike. He tells Brian after "Airplane" that he (Mike) wants the lead, and jokes that he'll quit the group of Brian doesn't give him the lead. After another song, Mike mentions somethi.ng that "those last two were motherf***ers. Mike (and it sounds like some others) just audibly get really excited during the middle of "I'll Bet He's Nice."

What this tape shows is that, in the right context, unguarded and not in public, Mike and the others did appreciate Brian's music, even the "non-commercial" stuff. That tape is the main item that makes me think Mike *can* appreciate great music, great chord changes, etc. even if they aren't "commercial" by some arbitrary standard.

They woulda been far more commercial without the Love You production style. Also many of the leads and harmonies are shaky at best. This doomed the album to some extent. I love it to pieces.
El Molé
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2012, 04:59:48 AM »

The "I'll Bet He's nice" demo is a fascinating listen and it's one of the reasons I love the song so much. I love the released version but the piano/vocal rendition really shows the raw strength of the song and gives a short but interesting insight into that moment in time. I'm not sure who was present and who I'm hearing (beyond Brian playing/singing and the parts that are clearly Mike) but Brian delivers a fantastic performance and there's an audibly gleeful reaction from those present when he hits the middle eight.

Some of the group must have found the 70's a frustrating and disappointing period with Brian, as he withdrew from active participation and song writing (at least in terms of providing songs for the group -  who knows what he might have been writing). Brian returned, and the boys sang on an album of somewhat strange covers after a much longed for comeback. Roll on a few months, and Brian belts out this heartbreakingly beautiful song with a powerful but hauntingly painful melody full of anguish and then a middle eight of desperate pleading. It's hard not to think of this as being directly written about Marilyn, give the inevitable difficulties of their relationship. To me, the demo conveys emotion way beyond the produced version. I'm left with an impression of a man desperately unhappy that this relationship may be failing, comparing himself unfavourably with other men, unable to deal with his emotional pain and illness, pleading with his wife to stay with him yet almost accepting the inevitability that ultimately she will leave. It may not be autobiographical but it certainly gives me the impression that it is. I can imagine Brian's friends and band mates hearing this for the first time with all of the understanding and insight they would have, being in awe of the song itself but with an even deeper sense of understanding about where it came from and being astounded at the performance. Whoever is present at the demo recording (it may only be Mike), but I think there are comments  like "Oh my god" as he's almost cheered on through the middle eight. I think that's what we can here from the demo, but I could be totally and utterly wrong!

I agree that it shows a supportive and appreciative Mike Love with good taste, which is almost unrecognisable from the unpleasant, bullying presence with little appreciation of Brian's talents that some have portrayed him as throughout the years.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2012, 06:04:35 AM »

If you listen to the full tape, with the songs presented in the correct order, it becomes evident that 1) Brian was very nervous, fluffing the lyrics and the chords badly in places and 2) the band reaction to the first few (personal) songs was, to be polite, muted: more honestly, they were likely thinking "WTF ?". Brian realised this, and played "Airplane" for laughs, evoking at least a laugh, and this loosened him up enough to hit "I'll Bet He's Nice" out of the park. Years of boots presenting the songs in the wrong order have obscured the fact that this demo presentation session was very nearly a disaster (for Brian).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx