gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:35:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" box set (part 2)  (Read 29805 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 09:54:40 AM »

I'm not getting involved except to say that WIBNTLA is not a Beach Boy project and therefore would not be "PROPER" for an album produced by The Beach Boys.

There are plenty of solo tracks on Beach Boys albums.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 10:00:25 AM »

Well, this thread managed to stay on topic for, what, about six posts? Sort of.

Wondering how you folks think this from Stephen Desper...

I did go to the "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" thread and read all the posts. All I can say is that about 85% of the statements are just conjucture ... nothing in fact ... blah, blah, blah.  I'm not getting involved except to say that WIBNTLA is not a Beach Boy project and therefore would not be "PROPER" for an album produced by The Beach Boys.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,1203.1325.html

... might relate to the song's possible inclusion on the box set. I understand he was referring to a "new" album rather than a box set, and it's his opinion rather than a content decision-maker. It just made me wonder. Hopefully, we'll find out soon!

I guess Caroline, No doesn't belong on Pet Sounds then!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 10:08:06 AM »

Most of my unreleased wish list for the box has a pretty slim chance of happening since the band act like Blondie and Ricky were never in the band now and Dennis gets almost swept under the rug.  That said, the top of my list includes high quality recordings of

1. Wild Honey (live with Blondie's lead vocal)
2. Hard Times
3. It's A New Day
4. Honkin' Down The Highway (with Billy's lead vocal)
5. Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again
6. California Feeling (with Carl's lead vocal)
7. Surf's Up - live 1971
8. I've Got A Friend - live
9. Big Sur (original version)
10. In The Back Of My Mind - demo
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 10:12:29 AM »

May refer to it being primarily a Dennis track.

That said, AGD reported a Dennis vocal part, Adam reported parts by Brian, Mike and Carl, so it would appear to be a band performance/recording.

AGD: "it was recorded as a BB track thus Brother hold the rights (well, right now Capitol)."

Maybe there're two versions in the vault and SWD is referring to a Dennis one, while Adam & AGD and others have heard a BBs version.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 10:25:56 AM »

Okay now i'm the board laughingstock. You guys are a bunch of jerks.

Maybe, but we don't go around shouting "HOMOPHOBE !" at random. More jocks than jerks, actually.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 10:28:12 AM »

I like your list, Phoenix!   'Cept I'd replace 'Honkin'" with Brian's "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling", studio version of "We Got Love" and/or the 'fast' mix of "Rock & Roll Music" with the last verse intact.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Paulos
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 10:37:24 AM »

Good list indeed Mr Phoenix add Carry Me Home onto that list and I'll die slightly happier.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 10:38:29 AM »

I like your list, Phoenix!   'Cept I'd replace 'Honkin'" with Brian's "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling", studio version of "We Got Love" and/or the 'fast' mix of "Rock & Roll Music" with the last verse intact.

Good call!  I left "We Got Love" off because the version I have is pretty decent but so is "Big Sur" and since I'm greedy for that one in HQ, I might as well have the other one too.  Smiley  I'd have to bump off the demo tho because I tend to just regard them as curiosities more than album tracks and Billy's vocal on "Honkin'..." makes a difference of night and day on that song.  I finally got it after years of searching and couldn't believe how much I liked it over Al's version.  (...And I love me some Al Jardine!  Grin )

And oh yeah.  I forgot about "Carry Me Home".  It would definitely be in the next batch on the list!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 10:39:55 AM by Phoenix » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 10:43:39 AM »

I forgot "Carry Me Home" too!  That one and the alternate slow version of "Big Sur" are must-haves!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 11:03:14 AM »

Maybe, but we don't go around shouting "HOMOPHOBE !" at random. More jocks than jerks, actually.

It wasn't random, it was a misinterpretation, which I've apologized for multiple times. I hadn't even posted in this thread and you still felt the need to make fun of me.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 11:19:58 AM »

I'm not getting involved except to say that WIBNTLA is not a Beach Boy project and therefore would not be "PROPER" for an album produced by The Beach Boys.

It was pulled from Surf's Up. Not a BB project ?  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 11:49:37 AM »

It was pulled from Surf's Up. Not a BB project ?  Smiley

SonoraDick was quoting SWD direct from his thread. Here's a longer extract for more context:

Quote from: SWD
I'm not getting involved except to say that WIBNTLA is not a Beach Boy project and therefore would not be "PROPER" for an album produced by The Beach Boys. At the time that SU was assembled, this song was more-or-less just a concept. It even had a different working titile.  I have (in storage) the first two Surf's Up LPs that I cut, which were presented to Warner Records' A&R department . . . and rejected. WIBNTLA was never included, nor could be, with any presentation.

The way I read that, SWD's implication is that WIBNTLA couldn't have been pulled from SU as it was never a contender for inclusion.

“We live in divisive times.”
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 12:20:08 PM »

Two other tracks I'm hoping for are the BB demo of River Song and the early alternate version of Add Some Music To Your Day.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 12:57:14 PM »

Don't worry pal, Phil will be back some day.

On another note I've heard some alternative lead vocals for 'Honkin Down The Highway' and I always thought it was Dennis in the beginning of the song. Then the voice became very unlike any of the Beach Boys and I wondered if it was some fan trolling me by adding his own vocals. That is confirmed to be Billy? May I ask why he was considered for a lead on that song?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 01:00:53 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 01:41:19 PM »

It's confirmed to be Billy Hinsche. He said so himself.

Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 01:48:32 PM »

On another note I've heard some alternative lead vocals for 'Honkin Down The Highway' and I always thought it was Dennis in the beginning of the song. Then the voice became very unlike any of the Beach Boys and I wondered if it was some fan trolling me by adding his own vocals. That is confirmed to be Billy? May I ask why he was considered for a lead on that song?

No idea why Brian chose him originally (maybe just because he happened to be there?) but Billy has said it was Landy's decision that his vocal should have been replaced.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2012, 01:58:26 PM »

Always thought Billy did a better job on that song than Al did.

Another song that I'd like to see the light of day is "Back Home" from 1963.  Or maybe the 1970 version.

I've only heard the alternate version of "Add Some Music" in somewhat inferior quality (Get The Boot). Wonder if a better quality tape exists. Same with "Back Home" '63. 

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2012, 02:10:38 PM »

I miss my thread

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2012, 02:40:39 PM »

What I like so much about Billy's vocal on "Honkin'..." is that even in the sh!tty quality in which I've heard it, he makes the song sound like a really slick Pop song, while Al's rendering gives it a little too much of a country flavor for my tastes.  I think the only Beach Boy (at the time of its recording) that would have been able to give it the same feel would have been Carl, and even he probably would have had a little too much "soul" and therefore taken it in another direction.  Maybe Brian chose Billy because he's made his career singing "simple pop songs".  If so, he nailed it because it was a prefect fit.  It's a shame the vocal was replaced but with Billy not being a full member, we may have never originally heard the song had it NOT been redone.  Either way, I really wish the powers-that-be would put it out somehow (maybe some sort of Rarities collection) so I could hear it in good quality.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:42:25 PM by Phoenix » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2012, 02:50:28 PM »

1.California Feelin 74
2. In the Back of My Mind 75
3. Wouldnt it be nice to live again
4. You've lost that Lovin' Feelin
5. Anything from the early to mid 70s that is unbooted

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2012, 02:55:59 PM »

+1

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2012, 03:04:21 PM »

I'm really hoping that some songs on this set will be laid out like this:

1) Still I Dream of It (demo)
2) Still I Dream of It (studio session)
3) Still I Dream of It (2012 remaster)

So we'll get some demos, studio chatter, maybe alternate takes, and remasters of these songs....all in chronological order.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
mrralan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2012, 03:07:30 PM »

Getting Back to Drip Drop on YouTube...is that a Brian Wilson solo track or not?
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2012, 03:08:59 PM »

1.California Feelin 74
2. In the Back of My Mind 75
3. Wouldnt it be nice to live again
4. You've lost that Lovin' Feelin

Same here, but "In the Back of My Mind" 75 would be my number one.

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2012, 03:09:44 PM »

Getting Back to Drip Drop on YouTube...is that a Brian Wilson solo track or not?

There was no intention of that session as being for a Brian solo project - if deemed fit for release it would have been on a Beach Boys record - but there are no other Beach Boys on the track - at least not vocally.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx