gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:48:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" box set (part 2)  (Read 29811 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2012, 01:32:26 PM »

I don't understand why the demo of I'll Bet He's Nice wouldn't be included. It's nearly better than the album version, and almost everyone I know (whom isn't familiar with much of this band's discog) agrees

It's not really an essential song by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh, yes it is.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2012, 01:39:39 PM »

I don't understand why the demo of I'll Bet He's Nice wouldn't be included. It's nearly better than the album version, and almost everyone I know (whom isn't familiar with much of this band's discog) agrees

It's not really an essential song by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh, yes it is.

For the sake of discussion...why do you feel that way? I do like the song and the demo, and it is very cleverly constructed and arranged, but I just don't see it as essential to be included in a career spanning compilation. I do feel that way about The Night Was So Young and Honkin' Down The Highway - they are kind of like gateway drugs into the rest of Love You.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2012, 02:33:22 PM »

Honkin' is amazing, but a guilty pleasure. I'll Bet He's Nice is one of the finest examples of Brian's facility with a pop melody. A gorgeous construction. That is why it was included on the first career spanning box.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2012, 02:36:23 PM »

Jesus, can this thing come out already..

At least let us pre-order or something

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2012, 02:38:18 PM »

maybe it'll be released digitally on beachboyscentral.com

get it?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2012, 02:40:35 PM »

Gah, the only way I'm getting this any time soon is if I get it as a gift for Christmas. But looks like that's not an option Sad

I sure hope there's a good reason for the delay.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2012, 09:07:21 PM »

You guys are all being such Phil Cohens

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
halblaineisgood
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2012, 10:01:23 PM »

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:32:52 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2012, 10:38:18 PM »

Hur hur hur... he said "straight".  Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh!

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2012, 12:37:38 AM »

Hur hur hur... he said "straight".  Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OvMZT2zfy0

A discipline daddy.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2012, 01:13:08 AM »

relevant!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2013, 04:23:39 PM »

AGD, Thought you might know - is no news good news re this project? Still on track for April or have I missed something?
Paulos
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15052.0.html
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2013, 03:22:49 PM »

Still no real news on the set then?

It's disappointing not to have heard anything. I'm tipping a pre-Xmas release at this stage, but hopefully I'm wrong and we'll have a track list and official release date by the end of March. Is the box showing up on the Capitol release schedule yet?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2013, 08:24:48 PM »

I'm waiting patiently for the full 50th tour on cd and dvd.     And I'm waiting for a new all encompassing box set.  I haven't bought the 20 song version of the tour on dvd because I already have a suitcase fulll of redundant Beachboys releases.

On the other hand, having been to one of the 50th shows, I would like to SEE the concert/s again.

If this is all we are going to get, I'll, of course buy it.  But am I to believe, or accept that after all of the hoopla, that this is IT?

How many times have we bought one release, only to discover that another release has additional songs etc? 

I only hope that after the wait, that if a better package comes, it will have been worth the wait.

I don't think it is nice to toy with the bedrock fanbase.   
Some of us are as old as the band and won't be here if they wait too long.

WAIT TOO LONG CAN'T WAIT TOO LONG BABY CAN'T WAIT TOO LONG

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2013, 08:31:22 PM »

Maybe I'll make my own updated and comprehensive boxset.  The more I think about it, I suspect I have all of the released material and enough boots to do a bang up job of a nice 10 cd mix.

The powers that be better get busy with a nice professional box with superb graphics and packaging.

OR ELSE!!  Wink
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2013, 08:37:46 PM »

Perhaps I should add a disclaimer that this is in no way a threat.  I do not own a recording device and have no inernet access. I
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2013, 10:43:22 AM »

Two other tracks I'm hoping for are the BB demo of River Song and the early alternate version of Add Some Music To Your Day.

That "River Song" demo from 1973 or 74 has more prominent guitar in the mix. This tune SHOULD have been the logical extension from "Sail On Sailor". Must be included.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2013, 10:45:51 AM »

Jesus, can this thing come out already..

At least let us pre-order or something

What time of the year do The Beach Boys always release new product?  Summer of course. I predict MIC will see the light of day sometime between May and August.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2013, 11:08:44 AM »

I'm waiting patiently for the full 50th tour on cd and dvd.     And I'm waiting for a new all encompassing box set.  I haven't bought the 20 song version of the tour on dvd because I already have a suitcase fulll of redundant Beachboys releases.

On the other hand, having been to one of the 50th shows, I would like to SEE the concert/s again.

If this is all we are going to get, I'll, of course buy it.  But am I to believe, or accept that after all of the hoopla, that this is IT?

How many times have we bought one release, only to discover that another release has additional songs etc? 

You won't ever get a legit DVD release of a full show from last year's tour. It's simply not financially possible for them to release one. It's not a matter of them toying with the fans or anything like that, it's a matter of the massive publishing cost to include those songs on a DVD.

A CD is perfectly plausible, but if you want a legit concert DVD, then the one that came out last year is as close as you're ever going to get, and it's not the fault of anyone in the Beach Boys' organisation, but just the way copyright law works at the moment. The songs they performed last year won't start going out of copyright for another 45 years yet (or 70 years after the death of the last songwriter on the song for the handful of post-1978 songs they played) and until then it would cost the DVD producers roughly $10,000 extra for every extra song they added to the DVD -- much more than that in the case of the really popular ones.

There is another DVD coming out at the end of the year, but that's going to be a documentary, with backstage/interview footage as well as songs, and only two hours long, so while it may have a few different songs on from last year's DVD, it will probably have the same or fewer.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Forrest Gump
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2013, 11:14:23 AM »

Maybe I'll make my own updated and comprehensive boxset.  The more I think about it, I suspect I have all of the released material and enough boots to do a bang up job of a nice 10 cd mix.

The powers that be better get busy with a nice professional box with superb graphics and packaging.

OR ELSE!!  Wink

hi don...just be sure to thank your source for a good part of those boots......  Wink
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2013, 07:24:27 PM »

Perhaps I should add a disclaimer that this is in no way a threat.  I do not own a recording device and have no inernet access. I

oh God they took donald, and EMI are also spamming me with threats because of me posting EMI material o youtube.

The end is nigh!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2013, 11:11:37 PM »

So, going on a messageboard and insulting a huge label like EMI by accusing them of "spamming" you, after willfully admitting to posting copyrighted material owned by EMfuckingI is the logical next step in rectifying the situation?  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2013, 10:41:59 AM »

What time of the year do The Beach Boys always release new product?  Summer of course. I predict MIC will see the light of day sometime between May and August.

Always?  Nope.

Greatest Hits Vol. 3, Best of the Brother Years, came out in February 2000.
Hawthorne, CA Rarities comp was May 2001.
Good Timin' Live at Knebwoth came out November 2002.
Warmtn of the Sun comp was May 2007.

And when it comes to box sets:
Pet Sounds Sessions - Nov. 4, 1997
Smile Sesisons - Nov. 11, 2011
Paulos
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2013, 12:15:32 PM »

Always?  Nope.

Greatest Hits Vol. 3, Best of the Brother Years, came out in February 2000.
Hawthorne, CA Rarities comp was May 2001.
Good Timin' Live at Knebwoth came out November 2002.
Warmtn of the Sun comp was May 2007.

And when it comes to box sets:
Pet Sounds Sessions - Nov. 4, 1997
Smile Sesisons - Nov. 11, 2011

Not always no, but the last career spanning box set was released in June
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx