gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 07:03:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which Beach Boys "Travesties" are.. 'To your taste?'  (Read 14338 times)
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2012, 01:56:46 PM »

Lahaina Aloha (horrible drums aside)
Much of the LBWL album
Kona Coast
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2012, 02:02:01 PM »

Man, nobody has mentioned "Life Is For the Living", yet!  I don't know why...but whenever I hear it...I feel happy!  Maybe it's the jaunty Dick Reynolds horn charts...or Carl's swingin' lead!  Or maybe it's because I can imagine the look of horror that must have crossed the face of Michael Edward Love the first time he heard it!!

"...don't sit around on you a*s...smokin' grass..."

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2012, 02:03:42 PM »

What do people think of 'When Girls Get Together'?

Personally I find it very rich in its texture and the lyrics do have significant meaning (though corny at times). I really hope they release a clean 1970 version. IMO the overdubs made for KTSA didn't do the song justice. Do people agree on that or differ?

I've always felt that it didn't sound like it fit into the context of KTSA.  You can tell it's an older song.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2012, 02:09:58 PM »

Lahaina Aloha is one of my very favorite post-Light Album songs of theirs.

Other than that, The Private Life of Bill and Sue, Island Fever (both versions actually), Make It Big, Still Surfin', Spring Vacation, and Rockin' the Man in the Boat. Cheesy
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2012, 02:43:35 PM »

Man, nobody has mentioned "Life Is For the Living", yet!  I don't know why...but whenever I hear it...I feel happy!  Maybe it's the jaunty Dick Reynolds horn charts...or Carl's swingin' lead! 

Those are the two things that make that song for me!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2012, 02:54:28 PM »

I love SIP, MIU, KTSA, and BB 85. I like parts of Still Cruisin' and even Stars n Stripes (mainly the cuts by Lorrie Morgan, Willie Nelson, Kathy Trocolli, Junior Brown, and Timothy B Schmit). I love this performance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ySCOM9UeOE  Soulful backups.

Really, my least favorite album is the debut, but it has its charms. And, I love Brian's rough vocals.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 03:18:14 PM by Vote Billy Castillo in 2012 » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2012, 03:42:38 PM »

Is it me, or are like a third of the songs posted here not "travesties" in the least?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2012, 04:18:06 PM »

Oh, I agree. I prefer the so-called 'worst' Beach Boys song to just about any other artist's best song.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
carolinablonde
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2012, 04:38:16 PM »

I have to admit that I have a serious soft spot for Still Crusin' and SIP, which were my first and second Beach Boys albums.  I remember playing SIP over and over after I first purchased it - of course, I was a 10 year old girl when it was released, so that might have something to do with it. 
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2012, 04:40:49 PM »

What do people think of 'When Girls Get Together'?

Personally I find it very rich in its texture and the lyrics do have significant meaning (though corny at times). I really hope they release a clean 1970 version. IMO the overdubs made for KTSA didn't do the song justice. Do people agree on that or differ?

I've always felt that it didn't sound like it fit into the context of KTSA. 

I agree. It doesn't fit with the rest of KTSA, but I love the song. I think it was an attempt by Brian to combine humor and art, and I think he succeeded. I think it was one of his last attempts at doing that.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2012, 04:44:52 PM »

Keep seeing the thread title as "Which Beach Boys "Transvestites" are.. 'To your taste?'"

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2012, 05:11:20 PM »

I like Mike Love's robe

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2012, 05:14:48 PM »

Keep seeing the thread title as "Which Beach Boys "Transvestites" are.. 'To your taste?'"

Lola

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2012, 05:33:06 PM »

Bruce.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2012, 06:13:52 PM »

Matchpoint
KTSA (love Carl's voice on this)
She's got rythym.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 06:15:16 PM by Wild-Honey » Logged
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2012, 06:19:43 PM »

Lola

THE KINKS!!!!

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2012, 11:16:07 PM »

Is it me, or are like a third of the songs posted here not "travesties" in the least?

The latter.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2012, 01:36:27 AM »

No such thang as travesty. They're all Beach Boys songs, and thus part of their interesting and multi-faceted legacy. I dig 'em all.

EDIT: Sounds like a proper fanboy opinion, but so be it. I'm not going to lie, not on an internet discussion forum!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 01:38:07 AM by Jukka » Logged

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Paulos
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2012, 05:22:51 AM »

Without a doubt, Crocodile Rock (imo one of the best 80s songs sung by The BBs! I like its joyfulness!), TM Song, Transcendental Meditation, Student Demonstration Time, Pet Sounds (one of the coolest instrumentals I've ever heard), Hot Fun in the Summertime (believe it or not, to me it's way better than Sly Stone v-n), Shut Down, Pt. 2, The Times They Are A-Changin' (miles & miles better than Dylan's v-n IMHO), Blowin' In The Wind (the same as TTTAAC), Wipe Out (A-1 rap & falsetto!), Sunshine (my favorite KTSA track), Problem Child and, of course, At My Window.

Don't think I've ever seen Pet Sounds referred to as a travesty!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2012, 05:56:34 AM »

Without a doubt, Crocodile Rock (imo one of the best 80s songs sung by The BBs! I like its joyfulness!), TM Song, Transcendental Meditation, Student Demonstration Time, Pet Sounds (one of the coolest instrumentals I've ever heard), Hot Fun in the Summertime (believe it or not, to me it's way better than Sly Stone v-n), Shut Down, Pt. 2, The Times They Are A-Changin' (miles & miles better than Dylan's v-n IMHO), Blowin' In The Wind (the same as TTTAAC), Wipe Out (A-1 rap & falsetto!), Sunshine (my favorite KTSA track), Problem Child and, of course, At My Window.

Don't think I've ever seen Pet Sounds referred to as a travesty!
I listed it because seems like nobody except me likes this track. Everybody reckons LGAFA to be better instrumental. Hope that this tiny mystery solved.

I think it's only a vocal minority that believe it's a bad track. Personally I love it....and the PSS version without the guitar over-dub is great too.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2012, 07:48:23 AM »

Spring Vacation
Yeah! I dig it, too.  It's totally MIU.

I like MIU!

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2012, 07:53:51 AM »

The albums Smiley Smile and Surfin' Safari.

both were travesties when I first heard them (I thought, "What the F$%k is this?).  They're very similar albums to me.  Cut from the same cloth.

But more traditionally... MIU, 15BO, BB85...total guilty pleasures.  SIP... I like'em all.  Wipe Out.  Doesn't matter.  You name it.  I like it.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2012, 10:34:59 AM »

What I Really Want For Christmas - the track, I mean. If it had non-Christmas lyrics it would be even better.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2012, 12:31:52 PM »

What I Really Want For Christmas - the track, I mean. If it had non-Christmas lyrics it would be even better.

Yeah, I really dig Brian's Xmas album. But then, at that time of year, I dig most christmas music so it's kinda moot  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2012, 12:41:44 PM »

I guess "Little Children" is considered a slight song but I've been digging that song lately -- I think it's a combination of the overwhelming synthesizers, percussion and drums, plus layers of vocals both lead and background -- and I'm increasingly coming to think it's demented... but in a good way?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx