gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680844 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 07:48:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which Beach Boys "Travesties" are.. 'To your taste?'  (Read 14329 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »

I guess "Little Children" is considered a slight song but I've been digging that song lately -- I think it's a combination of the overwhelming synthesizers, percussion and drums, plus layers of vocals both lead and background -- and I'm increasingly coming to think it's demented... but in a good way?

I love that song. Whenever I hear it though, I imagine Brian doing his marching motion with his arms that he does in the SMiLE doc during rehearsals of (I think) Do You Like Worms. Priceless.

It's probably one of the closest cases he ever came to plagarism though - parts of it are identical to Mountain of Love, Johnny Rivers version.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2012, 01:17:42 PM »

I'd say Surfin' USA is a lot closer to plagiarism than Little Children is.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2012, 01:24:33 PM »

I'd say Surfin' USA is a lot closer to plagiarism than Little Children is.

For sure.

joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2012, 01:28:46 PM »

Problem Child
Still Surfin'
Summer In Paradise
In My Car
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2012, 02:48:22 PM »

Another vote for Bill and Sue over here.

I guess the song is on the whole pretty innocuous (although I am a sucker for the humbuddyaaddeyeeh backgrounds), but I just can't get enough of the 'Sometimes, life can be so strange...' bridge/middle 8 (?) section - pure BW to me (even if I don't know for sure how much he had to do with it) and strangely profound cos, ya know, life can be so strange.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2012, 02:50:05 PM »

I like how happy Brian sounds in The Private Life of Bill and Sue.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2012, 02:54:13 PM »

Anyone else think that Jeff's chorus vocal "California to Mexico" is a bit strained - and he almost hits the note, but he doesn't?

I've loved the sound TPLOBAS ever since I've heard it, but Jeff missing that note just kills it for me.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2012, 03:02:56 PM »

Anyone else think that Jeff's chorus vocal "California to Mexico" is a bit strained - and he almost hits the note, but he doesn't?

Haven't noticed that in particular, and I'll try not to as well  Grin

I will also add that I'm a sucker pretty much (nearly) any song that mentions California in the lyrics.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2012, 03:18:51 PM »

Haven't noticed that in particular, and I'll try not to as well  Grin

I will also add that I'm a sucker pretty much (nearly) any song that mentions California in the lyrics.

I never heard it at first, but it nags at me now....maybe I'm just hearing things haha

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2012, 03:29:29 PM »

I've never heard that, rab, but then I try to avoid listening to that song whenever I can so I guess we're cool. I do hate stuff like that, though....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2012, 07:22:09 PM »

I guess the song is on the whole pretty innocuous (although I am a sucker for the humbuddyaaddeyeeh backgrounds), but I just can't get enough of the 'Sometimes, life can be so strange...' bridge/middle 8 (?) section - pure BW to me (even if I don't know for sure how much he had to do with it) and strangely profound cos, ya know, life can be so strange.
Right on!  Bill and Sue jumps out at me.  It's so Brian Wilson -- at least, what we've been used to for the last 10+ years.  I can imagine it being on any one of his solo albums.

It's a nice counterbalance to (what I assume is Mike's) Daybreak Over the Ocean.  Which I "tolerate."   Grin

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2012, 11:14:16 PM »

I've loved the sound TPLOBAS ever since I've heard it, but Jeff missing that note just kills it for me.

the thing I love about the chorus is that Jeff's lines blend with Brian's so well that if you're not paying attention it just sounds like Brian is singing the whole thing (ie I think Jeff is bad at faking 1965 Brian but is pretty good at faking 2012 Brian). Maybe he's straining on purpose to sound more like Brian.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2012, 01:06:39 AM »

the thing I love about the chorus is that Jeff's lines blend with Brian's so well that if you're not paying attention it just sounds like Brian is singing the whole thing (ie I think Jeff is bad at faking 1965 Brian but is pretty good at faking 2012 Brian). Maybe he's straining on purpose to sound more like Brian.

I almost thought it was Brian the first time round - but my senses told me other wise.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2012, 04:10:48 AM »

Island Fever
Still Cruisin'
Bells of Christmas

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2012, 05:59:08 AM »

Right on!  Bill and Sue jumps out at me.  It's so Brian Wilson -- at least, what we've been used to for the last 10+ years.  I can imagine it being on any one of his solo albums.

It did appear on one of Brian's solo albums, as "South American" on Imagination. Razz

And, I'm not totally sure, but I think Joe Thomas wrote the catchy chorus.
ArtVandalay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2012, 06:23:22 AM »

Jeff sings part of the Bill/Sue chorus? Wow...I'll have to go back and listen...
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2012, 06:34:24 AM »

Jeff sings part of the Bill/Sue chorus? Wow...I'll have to go back and listen...

It's very Jeff sounding - all the names of the places are Jeff.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2012, 10:24:33 AM »

I still think, though, that it was intentional that the chorus, to an uneducated ear, is supposed to sound completely Brian. Imagine if two people with completely different sounding voices traded off lines in the chorus, it would sound really weird.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2012, 12:12:56 PM »

Sounds like two people trading off, to me. Jeff and Brian's voices really stand out apart from one another there and elsewhere. Just me, though.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2012, 12:50:01 PM »

I still think, though, that it was intentional that the chorus, to an uneducated ear, is supposed to sound completely Brian. Imagine if two people with completely different sounding voices traded off lines in the chorus, it would sound really weird.

Seperately, I don't think Jeff and (modern-day) Brian sound anything alike at all. Jeff is pretty good at blending in with Brian, but I don't think that vocal trade off on Bill and Sue was meant to fool anybody.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2012, 09:04:51 PM »

Is it just me, or is the music track on Spring Vacation kind of like an uptempo gospel song? It kind of reminds me of Here Come Down.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2012, 02:08:25 AM »

I really strongly like a good half of Beach Boys '85.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2012, 10:12:34 AM »

Student Demonstration Time
Rock and Roll to the Rescue
Spring Vacation
Everyone's in Love With You
The Private Life of Bill and Sue
Endless Harmony
Cassius Love vs. Sonny Wilson
I'm Bugged at My Old Man

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2012, 03:35:41 PM »

"Everyone's in Love With You" is one of my favourite Mike songs along with "sumahama", those are widely considered travesties, right?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2012, 05:37:01 AM »

"Everyone's in Love With You" is one of my favourite Mike songs along with "sumahama", those are widely considered travesties, right?

I dunno.  Sumahama's pretty nifty, and I wouldn't turn off Everyone's either.

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx