gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 04:25:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oasis thread? Oasis thread.  (Read 6239 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2012, 11:23:25 PM »

Pickin' this up from a different thread in the main forum.

Yeah Noel's album is classic Noel.  Though some of them, particularly "everybody's on the run" would have been absolutely killer with Liam's voice.  That song would have been a classic Oasis song.  Noel is still great on his own, and beady eye has their moments, but together it's obvious how much better it'd be.

Noel's voice has, to me, far surpassed Liam's. Liam's is still good, but has kinda went downhill over time, where as Noel's has only gotten much better. I will say, though, that there are instances where Liam is more appropriate. The unreleased Liam vocal on "Lord Don't Slow Me Down" pisses all over Noel's, to me. A Liam-sung "Everybody's On The Run" sounds like it could have been very good, too. Shame things are the way they are, but hay.

Also wanted to say the recently released "Broken Arrow" demo by Noel is far better than the album version and is a huge highlight of his solo work in general.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 11:41:32 AM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 01:09:34 AM »

First off, thanks for bringing it here - I was tempted, but I was too lazy. LOL

Secondly, I have to agree heartily with you points about the vocals, although, with the exception of the performance at the Olympic Closing Ceremony, Liam's voice has been sounding better over the past year or two, but Noel's is clearly stronger, but it lacks that bite Liam has.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 01:42:49 AM »

I am surprised that you consider oasis worthy of discussion. They are a tribute band at best.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 02:34:01 AM »

I am surprised that you consider oasis worthy of discussion. They are a tribute band at best.

You're insane.

I'm just sad we couldn't continue pissing off the Oasis-haters over at the boxset thread :D
You're completely right about Liam's voice though, runners.
To me, Oasis' greatness halted after BHN.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 07:55:13 AM »

Noel's is clearly stronger, but it lacks that bite Liam has.

Troof, most of the time.

They are a tribute band at best.

Not the troof at all.

I think there are plenty of great songs after Be Here Now that stand with any of the better stuff from the earlier years. "Go Let It Out", "Roll It Over", "Stop Crying Your Heart Out" (feel especially strong about this one), "As Long As They've Got Cigarettes In Hell", "The Importance Of Being Idle", "Let There Be Love", "The Shock Of Lightning", "I'm Outta Time", etc. I'm sure there are more, I'm still a bit of a n00b with the band.

Noel continues to create really solid stuff to this day, and Beady Eye are... well, not all bad. I really liked "World Outside My Room" even though it somehow didn't make the album.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 09:32:07 AM »

Noel's is clearly stronger, but it lacks that bite Liam has.

Troof, most of the time.

They are a tribute band at best.

Not the troof at all.

I think there are plenty of great songs after Be Here Now that stand with any of the better stuff from the earlier years. "Go Let It Out", "Roll It Over", "Stop Crying Your Heart Out" (feel especially strong about this one), "As Long As They've Got Cigarettes In Hell", "The Importance Of Being Idle", "Let There Be Love", "The Shock Of Lightning", "I'm Outta Time", etc. I'm sure there are more, I'm still a bit of a n00b with the band.

I agree. Most of those are great songs. For instance, love the mellotron in "Go Let it Out", "TIOFBI" has a great sound to it, etc. While I also like "SCYHO", I don't think it's all that great - the chord progression bores the heck outta me Wink. "I'm Outta Time" is a bit meh, IMO.

I just think that Morning Glory and Be Here Now are more consistant than their later efforts. But that they've produced some great songs post-BHN - no doubt!

Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 11:09:22 AM »

"Broken Arrows" demo

EVERY HOUR, EVERY DAY, SINCE YOU'VE GONE FAR AWAY IT'S A LOVE CANOPY OF DREAMS AND BROKEN ARROWS, AND BROKEN ARROWS.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 11:41:09 AM »

"Broken Arrows" demo

EVERY HOUR, EVERY DAY, SINCE YOU'VE GONE FAR AWAY IT'S A LOVE CANOPY OF DREAMS AND BROKEN ARROWS, AND BROKEN ARROWS.

Well yeah. Coincidentally, I prefer the more sparse demo of that song to any later full band versions, too.

Damn you, Werzer Cry corrected.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 11:59:14 AM »

"Broken Arrows" demo

Well yeah. Coincidentally, I prefer the more sparse demo of that song to any later full band versions, too.

Damn you, Werzer Cry corrected.

I agree. I actually like the Rivers Cuomo phone-demo better too.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 12:02:38 PM by tansen » Logged

cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 12:47:36 PM »

Top 5 albums IMO
1.Be Here now
2. Definitely maybe
3. Standing on the shoulders
4. What's the story
5. Heathen chemistry

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 12:50:18 PM »

Top 5 albums IMO
1.Be Here now
2. Definitely maybe
4. What's the story
5. Heathen chemistry

Due to there being only 7, I'm going to do the lot anyway (It's very similar)

1. Be Here now
2. Definitely maybe
4. What's the story
5. Don't believe the truth
6. Dig out Your Soul
7. Heathen chemistry

Granted, theres not much in it between album - they're all of a similar preference to me.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 01:02:25 PM »

I find it very interesting that you rank Morning Glory so low - the album that is generally viewed as being their best. To me it's really hard to choose between MG and BHN, but I'd rate DM after those two. I feel Oasis is a very time-and-place band - that if you hear a certain album by them at a certain period of time in your life, you'll generally rate that album higher than the others, regardless of quality. You get some sort of special bond to the album. I guess it's like that with a lot of bands, but maybe Oasis in particular. I'm not sure how to properly explain what I mean.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 01:07:28 PM by tansen » Logged

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 01:18:36 PM »

I find it very interesting that you rank Morning Glory so low - the album that is generally viewed as being their best. To me it's really hard to choose between MG and BHN, but I'd rate DM after those two. I feel Oasis is a very time-and-place band - that if you hear a certain album by them at a certain period of time in your life, you'll generally rate that album higher than the others, regardless of quality. You get some sort of special bond to the album. I guess it's like that with a lot of bands, but maybe Oasis in particular. I'm not sure how to properly explain what I mean.

Yeah, i only became a fan about a year ago to be fair, but due to me being a vinyl nerd I was aiming to get all the albums that way. Shoulder of Giants was my first one and has always been a favourite, which was followed by Be Here now.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 01:30:52 PM »

I'm a big fan, I've posted before on the band and I think they had an incredible run for a few years. I'm a big fan of Noel Gallagher as a songwriter. They got a lot of people inspired to play music, listen to music, and write songs, which I think was cool. Of course the PR overshadowed a lot of the music, but that's the nature of playing with the tabloid culture.

Essentials are the first three albums: Definitely Maybe, What's The Story, Be Here Now, and add to that the collection of non-album tracks "The Masterplan" and the essential single "Whatever" which never saw release in the US as it should have. A fantastic single.

The last great Oasis song I heard - and I think it was a truly great song and performance especially from Liam on vocals - was "Let There Be Love". I guess it was the nature of the band's reputation at that point and the departure of several original members which kept it out of the popular realm.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 12:04:53 AM »

The rockers on What's the story are just not up to par with the rockers on the other 90s albums. Even Hindu times off Heathen Chemistry is far better than any rock song on What's the story IMO

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 08:40:51 AM »

The rockers on What's the story are just not up to par with the rockers on the other 90s albums. Even Hindu times off Heathen Chemistry is far better than any rock song on What's the story IMO

I love 'Hello', but 'Hey Now!' has always been an incredibly weak track to me. Roll With it isn't exactly gold either. 'Morning Glory' is also brilliant but lacks a second verse, simply repeating the second.

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 09:08:40 AM »

I love 'Hello', but 'Hey Now!' has always been an incredibly weak track to me. Roll With it isn't exactly gold either. 'Morning Glory' is also brilliant but lacks a second verse, simply repeating the second.

Well, what is a 'rocker'? I just think the best songs on MG is better than songs on the other 90s albums (except for a few on BHN which are equal). I mean, songs like 'Wonderwall' and 'Don't Look Back in Anger', Champagne Supernova (albeit overplayed), 'Some Might Say' and perhaps the best of them all 'She's Electric" are just pretty much perfect songs.

I agree with you on 'Hello' though, it's not all that special. I do like 'Roll With It' a lot on the other hand.

Daniel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 10:54:58 AM »

woah, an oasis thread on SmileySmile?
my dreams have come true  Smiley

BHN for me is the best as it was when Liam was at his best. His vocals on that record are truly brilliant.

And while im here, his vocals are also top-notch on Hey Now! Listen again....

Best band in my lifetime. I love them til i die. The only band (and spin offs) that i will spend ludicrous amounts of money on and make otherwise stupid decisions over.
Apart from the Beach Boys that is....

brothers in bands. Ye cannae beat it.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 11:05:44 AM »

woah, an oasis thread on SmileySmile?
my dreams have come true  Smiley

BHN for me is the best as it was when Liam was at his best. His vocals on that record are truly brilliant.

And while im here, his vocals are also top-notch on Hey Now! Listen again....

Best band in my lifetime. I love them til i die. The only band (and spin offs) that i will spend ludicrous amounts of money on and make otherwise stupid decisions over.
Apart from the Beach Boys that is....

brothers in bands. Ye cannae beat it.

Wooo! Someone with the same stupid spending habits as me!

cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 04:35:21 PM »

Well, what is a 'rocker'? I just think the best songs on MG is better than songs on the other 90s albums (except for a few on BHN which are equal). I mean, songs like 'Wonderwall' and 'Don't Look Back in Anger', Champagne Supernova (albeit overplayed), 'Some Might Say' and perhaps the best of them all 'She's Electric" are just pretty much perfect songs.

I agree with you on 'Hello' though, it's not all that special. I do like 'Roll With It' a lot on the other hand.

What is a rocker? Hindu times, Supersonic, My big mouth, Do you know what I mean. Basically the uptempo songs that aren't power ballads or pure pop songs (like around the world).

What's the story doesn't have the same diversity as the other 90s albums and Standing on the shoulder. What's the story has the best collection of power ballads but the rockers really stink. Even though I don't want to use that term when talking about Oasis. The rockers on What's the story are not good.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 02:57:03 AM »

Hold the fucking phone - Dave Sitek?!
http://www.beadyeyemusic.com/news.php

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 12:53:27 PM »

What is a rocker? Hindu times, Supersonic, My big mouth, Do you know what I mean. Basically the uptempo songs that aren't power ballads or pure pop songs (like around the world).

What's the story doesn't have the same diversity as the other 90s albums and Standing on the shoulder. What's the story has the best collection of power ballads but the rockers really stink. Even though I don't want to use that term when talking about Oasis. The rockers on What's the story are not good.

I suspected that's what you called a rocker, but that's a very relative term. I wouldn't call any songs on the album 'ballads' either. But anyways, whatever you may call them, I disagree that the 'rockers' on Morning Glory are bad, songs like Roll With It, She's Electric (which is probably one of their best songs ever IMO - but perhaps you deem that a 'pure pop song'?), Hey Now!, Hello and Morning Glory are all great 'rockers'.

No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 04:37:55 AM »

I've never been able to shake the sense of fatigue I get when listening to BHN, so recently I made my own edit and cut out a bunch of songs (my big mouth, magic pie, don't go away, fade in/out) and added the b-side stay young. also cut some of it's gettin' better (didn't need the final refrain x 30, so settled for 15).

Blasphemy?  I guess so.  I can appreciate the album as the encapsulation of the band's height of popularity (and corresponding self-indulgence), but for 15 years(!) I've had a nagging urge to snip a bit...or a third...so i finally did.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 06:12:19 AM »

So, what about this Beach Boys box set - anyone know anything ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 06:27:30 AM »

I honestly think the reaction to the Oasis discussion in the box set thread bordered on hysterical. I mean, yes, it was off-topic. But does anyone recall the Smile box set thread? How many pages was that? Over 200, wasn't it? And were all those pages devoted to the box set? Absolutely not. But at the end of the day that thread served its purpose -- it not only reflected the level of interest in the boxset but also what happens when there is a lack of information. And despite the off-topic elements of the Smile box thread, it never fully became another topic - there were simply deviations and then it always went back on-topic as soon as more info came out. I'm quite certain that would have happened with the Made in California boxset as well. I suppose if it was a bunch of posts of AGD taking shots at Phil Cohen, the thread would still be alive.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx