gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 07:36:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A BEACH BOYS REUNION?! [Important News]  (Read 36391 times)
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2006, 06:35:41 AM »

Incidentally, I have heard Blondie sing "Sail On, Sailor"- as part of something calling itself the Byrds in about 1986.

Joe -- I recall your post a while back about that -- what a fantastic story.

BDN -- I concur with you. I was annoyed at the BB GH releases that listed David Marks as a member but not Blondie or Ricky.

I don't own any BB compilations, so I was unaware of this.  It is simply wrong not to list Ricky and Blondie as BB members -- the fact is they were.  Just look at the packaging materials on CATP and Holland.  They can't be written out of history -- and why would anyone want to anyway?

Blondie? Ricky? don't forget to include Daryl Dragon...

Yes, absolutely!  Didn't Toni Tennille sing back up for the Beach Boys a few times?  You could combine this BB reunion with Captain & Tennille as opening act.  And maybe Daryl could perform a few Dennis classics he co-wrote like "Cuddle Up."

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2006, 06:48:33 AM »

If this reunion happens, Ed Carter had better be part of it.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2006, 06:56:32 AM »

I listen to XM radio all day, and the guy on the 60's channel (motormouth, or whatever his name is) always plays a Beach Boys song, then says (In a really fast voice!)

MAN, I HOPE THESE GUYS CAN PUT THEIR DIFFERENCES BEHIND 'EM!!!! I'D LOVE TO SEE THE SURVIVING ORIGINAL BEACH BOYS GET BACK TOGETHER 1 MORE TIME! WHY CAN'T BRIAN WILSON MIKE LOVE AL JARDINE HAL BLAINE DAVID MARKS GLEN CAMBELL AND BRUCE JOHNSTON DROP THE LAWSUITS AND GET BACK TOGETHER ONE MORE TIME FOR US FANS?Huh!!!!

It's kind of funny because his info's always wrong.  Last week he played a '4 preps' song "standing on the corner" then talked about how the 4 preps influenced Brian Wilson and the beach boys. 
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2006, 09:21:24 AM »

Y'all make it really hard to resist with the picture of Blondie, Ricky, Ed Carter, maybe  Billy Hinsche and Dave Marks...I could really get on board with the idea of something really tasteful and dignified- like a soundstage show in Burbank similar to what  they did with SMiLE, including a few special guests and a great songlist.  I'd love to see them kind of lay it to rest with dignity, like the Beatles did with Anthology, and I'd particularly love to see Brian and his cousin repair their lifelong friendship. 

But I guess I just have some trust issues after Stars and Stripes.  Y'all are envisioning a sort of Beach Boys maven experience, and I think what would happen would be more like a McDonalds hamburger, to continue that analogy.  Not to disparage McDonalds or fast food, but I don't think it's the way most of us reverent fans perceive The Legacy.  First of all, I think there would be almost zero interest in paying homage to non-hit periods of the band.  Brian's Roxy shows and tours have been maven experiences, more or less, and so were the Endless Harmony soundtrack and Hawthorne Boulevard.  But this would have more perceived value and I'm afraid they'd be playing to the cheap seats- or trying to.

Second, and more sadly, I have a fear-call it a paranoia or a cynicism-  that the relationships involved would be restricted to handlers and agents.  I'm afraid that the guys who sat in Brian's Rambler listening to the radio are beyond recall, and that makes me sad in the way that "Caroline, No" makes me sad. If that's the case I'd rather the reunion (which I think is inevitable) was private and personal rather than public and professional.

Cam, talk me out of it.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2006, 09:25:17 AM »

Incidentally, I have heard Blondie sing "Sail On, Sailor"- as part of something calling itself the Byrds in about 1986.

Joe -- I recall your post a while back about that -- what a fantastic story.

Thanks for that, bdn- it was a mind-blower.  I could appreciate it more now.  Of course, Blondie turned up again when I saw the Stones in Anaheim a few years back.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2006, 09:27:23 AM »

Joe, there is a diff between saying what I think SHOULD happen and what WILL happen.  I doubt there is a chance in Hades of them even getting Brian and Mike on stage together, much less Blondie and Ricky.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2006, 09:52:07 AM »

Joe, there is a diff between saying what I think SHOULD happen and what WILL happen.

Of course, understood.

I doubt there is a chance in Hades of them even getting Brian and Mike on stage together, much less Blondie and Ricky.

Really, Jeff?  I totally agree on Blondie and Ricky; don't even know if they're that interested; but I've tended to think that an eventual reunion of the others is inevitable.  It just seems like history points to it. 

But one big point in your favor (among several) would be that I think Mike regards his current band as the Beach Boys and might be hesitant to mix that situation up, and of course Brian's people are a very big issue, too.  I'm sure they see him as the goods, and would probably want a lot of control, and realistically, the relationship with Mike there is probably much worse than the one between Brian and Mike personally. 

The other big thing is time.  Will it even be practical when they're seventy and beyond?  So maybe if it's not quite now or never, it's at least soon or never.

You may well be right, but I've been surprised to see several people including you take the "hell-freezes-over" view- I just hadn't thought of the situation as that extreme.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2006, 11:49:07 AM »

If the living Beach Boys -- i.e., Brian, Mike, Al, and Bruce -- have a concert reunion (and perhaps album), and David Marks is included, am I the only one who thinks Ricky and Blondie should be part of it too?

I mean, maybe they wouldn't want to be part of it, but I say they have at least as much claim as David Marks, probably more -- did the Beach Boys ever record a David Marks composition?  Did David Marks have nearly the instrumental impact, live and on record, as Ricky and Blondie did with the Beach Boys?

This is not meant to denigrate David in any way.  I'm just kind of surprised that Ricky (who played on BB albums through 1980, including 15 Big Ones and KTSA I know for sure) and Blondie are not even being mentioned on this thread.

Wouldn't you get chills hearing Blondie sing "Sail on Sailor"?  Or hearing "Here She Comes" or "Hold on Dear Brother"?  I sure would.

I think you need to consider that Dave Marks was part of the genesis of the BB's...and added to the format that became the BB's signature sound. You can say, "Did the BB' ever record a Dave Marks composition?" No. But I can say "Did Blondie or Ricky play on any significant BB's hits?" No. Dave Marks played on the first half dozen classic BB's hits and the first four major hit LP's. He was part of the formula that made the BB's famous and succesful. The story was already written by the time Blondie and Ricky came into the picture. That era was great...they were both great additions for their time...but they had nothing to do with why the BB's became icons of the culture. You might say Dave played a minor role musically...that's at least arguable....although I'd disagree because i know more about what went down in the pre-BB's era. And it is a fact that he and Carl brought the Fender electric guitar sound to the BB's table. And he was there when the band went from a local act to a national phenomenon. I agree that the classic lineup is the Mike, Brian, Dennis, Carl and Al ...64 - 65 lineup...but the next most important guy in line to me is Dave because he was there at the begining when the band "happened". This isn't an attempt to put Bruce, Blondie or Ricky down...they were all great. But the original "Hawthorne" Beach Boys are the six that are on the monument on 119th St. And those six guys should be considered the founders. When the Landmark folks were ready to immortalize Mike, Brian, Dennis, Carl and Al on the state historical monument it was the Wilson family who insisted that Dave be included too.The BB's were already of legendary stature and their name a household word before Bruce, Blondie or Ricky joined the mix.   
Joel5001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2006, 12:23:59 PM »

IMO, Bruce's voice on God Only Knows and California Girls alone makes him the next most important BB after the classic 5.  Of course, this is all kind of silly, and I'm looking forward to reading David's story when the book comes out.

"First of all, let's get one thing straight: Crack is cheap. I make too much money to ever smoke crack." - Whitney Houston
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2006, 12:43:37 PM »

If the living Beach Boys -- i.e., Brian, Mike, Al, and Bruce -- have a concert reunion (and perhaps album), and David Marks is included, am I the only one who thinks Ricky and Blondie should be part of it too?

I mean, maybe they wouldn't want to be part of it, but I say they have at least as much claim as David Marks, probably more -- did the Beach Boys ever record a David Marks composition?  Did David Marks have nearly the instrumental impact, live and on record, as Ricky and Blondie did with the Beach Boys?

This is not meant to denigrate David in any way.  I'm just kind of surprised that Ricky (who played on BB albums through 1980, including 15 Big Ones and KTSA I know for sure) and Blondie are not even being mentioned on this thread.

Wouldn't you get chills hearing Blondie sing "Sail on Sailor"?  Or hearing "Here She Comes" or "Hold on Dear Brother"?  I sure would.

I think you need to consider that Dave Marks was part of the genesis of the BB's...and added to the format that became the BB's signature sound. You can say, "Did the BB' ever record a Dave Marks composition?" No. But I can say "Did Blondie or Ricky play on any significant BB's hits?" No. Dave Marks played on the first half dozen classic BB's hits and the first four major hit LP's. He was part of the formula that made the BB's famous and succesful. The story was already written by the time Blondie and Ricky came into the picture. That era was great...they were both great additions for their time...but they had nothing to do with why the BB's became icons of the culture. You might say Dave played a minor role musically...that's at least arguable....although I'd disagree because i know more about what went down in the pre-BB's era. And it is a fact that he and Carl brought the Fender electric guitar sound to the BB's table. And he was there when the band went from a local act to a national phenomenon. I agree that the classic lineup is the Mike, Brian, Dennis, Carl and Al ...64 - 65 lineup...but the next most important guy in line to me is Dave because he was there at the begining when the band "happened". This isn't an attempt to put Bruce, Blondie or Ricky down...they were all great. But the original "Hawthorne" Beach Boys are the six that are on the monument on 119th St. And those six guys should be considered the founders. When the Landmark folks were ready to immortalize Mike, Brian, Dennis, Carl and Al on the state historical monument it was the Wilson family who insisted that Dave be included too.The BB's were already of legendary stature and their name a household word before Bruce, Blondie or Ricky joined the mix.   

Jon -- Very well spoken.  I really shouldn't have singled out David Marks.  And I didn't mean to criticize him.  By the way, I am very anxious to read your upcoming biography of him.  It sounds absolutely fascinating, and no doubt will fill in many blanks in the Beach Boys history that have never been covered from any other angle before.

My point really is that Ricky and Blondie were official members of the Beach Boys for several years, two studio albums, and many tour dates.  I personally think they contributed a lot to the group -- not just the three fantastic songs they wrote and recorded for release on CATP and Holland.  They gave the group a huge shot in the arm as a live act and also in the studio.  Ricky's drumming adds so much, especially on CATP, as does both of their guitar work and keyboard playing.  Their singing (particularly Blondie's) was a big part of the mix on those albums, not just on their own songs but on Mess of Help, He Come Down, Funky Pretty, and of course Sail on Sailor, as well as others.  I happen to really love those two albums and I eternally regret that the group did not keep going in that direction.  Much as I love Love You, MIU, and Light Album, I still think something was lost after Endless Summer came out and Ricky and Blondie left the group.

I am not in any way suggesting that Dave Marks should not participate in any reunion.  I would love to see Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, Dave, AND Blondie and Ricky together on stage (or in the studio), along with all the great sidemen that have contributed so much to the Beach Boys over the years -- such as Billy Hinsche, Ed Carter, the Dragons, etc.  Will it happen?  Only in heaven.  And then, of course, Dennis and Carl will be on stage too.  (No, I'm not crying, I just got a piece of dust in my eye!)

Anyway, I apologize if I disparaged Dave Marks in any way.  As I said, I look forward to your bio very eagerly.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2006, 12:50:38 PM »

IMO, Bruce's voice on God Only Knows and California Girls alone makes him the next most important BB after the classic 5.  Of course, this is all kind of silly, and I'm looking forward to reading David's story when the book comes out.

Again... there is no California Girls or God Only Knows if there wasn't three years of hits and sold out concerts before them. The BB's worked very hard to build the cache that Brian so nicely took advantage of in the Pet Sounds era. Bruce's first gig had screaming fans most of whom already owned several BB's LP's that he wasn't on. Dave's first gig with the BB's in early '62 was in front of 50 kids at a local dance, half of whom had no idea who the BB's were...his last gig in '63 was in front of 20,000 screaming BB's fans all of whom came there for one reason...to see the BB's. He helped the group get from point A to point B...they'd arrived there long before Bruce was involved. The addtion of Bruce may have helped keep them on top...he was a great asset. Bruce is a great singer who sang on some of the BB's all-time greatest songs...no doubt about it.  But It's a very fundemental thing...point B is irrelevant without what came before.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2006, 01:03:05 PM »

Jon -- Very well spoken.  I really shouldn't have singled out David Marks.  And I didn't mean to criticize him.  By the way, I am very anxious to read your upcoming biography of him.  It sounds absolutely fascinating, and no doubt will fill in many blanks in the Beach Boys history that have never been covered from any other angle before.

My point really is that Ricky and Blondie were official members of the Beach Boys for several years, two studio albums, and many tour dates.  I personally think they contributed a lot to the group -- not just the three fantastic songs they wrote and recorded for release on CATP and Holland.  They gave the group a huge shot in the arm as a live act and also in the studio.  Ricky's drumming adds so much, especially on CATP, as does both of their guitar work and keyboard playing.  Their singing (particularly Blondie's) was a big part of the mix on those albums, not just on their own songs but on Mess of Help, He Come Down, Funky Pretty, and of course Sail on Sailor, as well as others.  I happen to really love those two albums and I eternally regret that the group did not keep going in that direction.  Much as I love Love You, MIU, and Light Album, I still think something was lost after Endless Summer came out and Ricky and Blondie left the group.

I am not in any way suggesting that Dave Marks should not participate in any reunion.  I would love to see Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, Dave, AND Blondie and Ricky together on stage (or in the studio), along with all the great sidemen that have contributed so much to the Beach Boys over the years -- such as Billy Hinsche, Ed Carter, the Dragons, etc.  Will it happen?  Only in heaven.  And then, of course, Dennis and Carl will be on stage too.  (No, I'm not crying, I just got a piece of dust in my eye!)

Anyway, I apologize if I disparaged Dave Marks in any way.  As I said, I look forward to your bio very eagerly.

Hey no apology needed...you make a great case for Blondie and Ricky. I agree that any reunion would only be enhanced by their inclusion. And also Billy, Ed, Meros etc... I love them all.

BTW...I live for these type of discussions...because they let me air out my "context" concepts. My opinions are an evolution through learning.  I used to think Dave Marks had no real importance other than the fact he looked cool on the early LP covers. But I found out through research that isn't quite the whole story. He may be the fifth, sixth, seventh or eighth most important Beach Boy...that's not the relevant point. What is relevant to me is that people should know he was part of the act that went from a group who had barely gigged and didn't have record contract...to the nationally famous Beach Boys with a pile of hit singles and hit LP's. Then he left and the BB's just kept getting better...for awhile.   
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2006, 01:48:58 PM »

Jon, I lean strongly towards your view on the importance of the evolving period, but it goes beyond that for me- history aside, I just love the music from that period.  If the Beach Boys had broken up and vanished in 1963, they'd still be by far the most significant act of a great genre- they were already well beyond Jan and Dean in my opinion, by virtue of "Our Car Club" alone- and I'd still have all of those albums and spin 'em all the time.

I'm amazed- and very pleased- that albums like "Carl and The Passions" continue to find a younger audience- it's enhanced the pleasure of those albums for me.  But that early stuff apologizes to no one- it's a treasure trove of classic vocal surf and sixties pop music.  They were being screamed for by 20,000 at that stage, but the artistic influence was out there in 1963, too.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2006, 02:32:20 PM »

The only way this story makes sense to me is if it has some kind of overarching emotional significance for Brian, Mike and Al. If re-forming and singing together allows them to process some measure of  the bad blood, hard feelings, rage and jealousy that has stalked them for, oh, the last 45 years or so, then it'd be worth it for them. But if it's just another catalyst for MORE miscommunication, insults, hurt feelings and (inevitably, it seems) litigation, who needs it?

I'm eager to be proven wrong, but in the abstract I just can't imagine the guys -- along with Bruce -- coming up with anything new or different, or even re-establishing their connection to the spirit that once animated the band. Or the sound, for that matter. Losing Dennis was tough enough. But without Carl onstage  it's just not the same band. Having Dave there, or Blondie and Ricky, or the best of the old bandmembers, or even Brian's current band, doesn't even come close to making it the Beach Boys. Or making their performance of "Pet Sounds" better, or even as good, as what Brian already did with his group.

And maybe I'm wrong. Maybe, if this does happen, it will be transcendent and lovely and everything I just said -- and all the other even worse stuff I'm thinkin g-- will be revealed as nonsense. But if it were up to me, I'd rather see Brian at work on a new album with Darian, Probyn, Jeff and the guys.  Or on the road with them. Or doing anything with people who haven't spent the last 45 years seeing and speaking of him as if he were their own private, ill-performing, oil well.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2006, 02:35:36 PM »

I wouldn't see any problem with resticting a concert to members who participated in making the featured album.  If it turned out there was a tour to follow I think it would be cool to fill in with some or all of the other dudes mentioned but logistically and fairness-wise it seems like it could be a bear to sort out.  I would think that Mike's band would be given some sort of preference as the band of the elected license holder and the band that would theoretically be left to take over when/if the reunion tour came to a conclusion.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2006, 03:11:32 PM »

I would think that Mike's band would be given some sort of preference as the band of the elected license holder and the band that would theoretically be left to take over when/if the reunion tour came to a conclusion.

As long as they ditch Kowalski, I guess that would be decent....

(sorry but I can't stand Kowalski's drumming style when compared to Jimmy Hines, Bobby Figeroa or Todd Sucherman...)

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2006, 04:16:05 PM »

Joe, there is a diff between saying what I think SHOULD happen and what WILL happen.  I doubt there is a chance in Hades of them even getting Brian and Mike on stage together, much less Blondie and Ricky.

I don't know anything about Blondie or Ricky, but I think Brian and Mike are closer than everyone thinks.  Even if you drop the family part of it, they have tons of contact I'd imagine through their record label even if most of it is all lawyers.  I've been following Brian's posts over on the blueboard and interviews and things with him and Mike pretty close for the last couple years because I'm such a fanatic, and Brian or Mike mention talking to each other from time to time.  I think their public image looks horribly estranged but I think in reality they still talk from time to time and I don't think Brian would have a problem appearing on a stage with anybody in the world.  The only argument is going to be about the bands, and I think ultimately for a 1-off, Brian would just appear with Mike's band if worst came to worst.  Mike is the only one with any interest in the Beach Boys name anymore; Brian's said frequently that Mike can have the name he's cool with that.  So If Mike insisted that he's STILL the Beach Boys (with his current band) Brian would probably just appear on stage with what Mike insists are the Beach Boys.  I think at this point Al is just down to do whatever Brian wants to do, and Brian was already making appearances with a stripped down band for the christmas album. 

And as for whoever was saying that this was a 'career move' for Mike, Mike has no career and neither does Brian, they are what they are and will be that until they're gone.  Mike will always be able to tour as he does now and do his thing, and Brian will always continue to do his thing, there's really no careers to damage or hurt, it's not like Mike's next album is going to go triple platinum if Brian appears on stage with him somewhere.  In reality, this 'appearance' or whatever it's going to be will be centered around promoting Pet Sounds to new listeners, it won't help or hurt Brian or Mike's careers. 
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2006, 04:43:50 PM »

I'm eager to be proven wrong, but in the abstract I just can't imagine the guys -- along with Bruce -- coming up with anything new or different, or even re-establishing their connection to the spirit that once animated the band. Or the sound, for that matter. Losing Dennis was tough enough. But without Carl onstage  it's just not the same band. Having Dave there, or Blondie and Ricky, or the best of the old bandmembers, or even Brian's current band, doesn't even come close to making it the Beach Boys. Or making their performance of "Pet Sounds" better, or even as good, as what Brian already did with his group.

Peter,
      If I read your comments BEFORE Brian's recent tours (after 1999), I would concur with you. But somehow, Darian, Jeff, Probyn and the guys pulled off the nearly impossible. With no disrespect intended, if they can make Brian Wilson sound good, they can make anybody sound good. And that includes the 2006 Beach Boys. That is, if they're involved.

I'm not concerned about Mike or Al or Bruce or Blondie or whoever sounding like their former Beach Boy selves. I think they would rise to the occasion and sing quite well actually. I'm also not too worried about how they appear on stage together (i.e. loose, animated, happy!). They waited a long time for this. And I'm not worried about the reproduction of the music itself - I'm sure whatever backing band is chosen will get the job done; there's too many pros involved on all sides, and they would understand the importance of their roles.

My biggest concern is Brian's ability to ADJUST to the format of a new show. Brian succeeded because his shows were so structured, rehearsed, fine tuned - and basically they covered his ass. They would have to do the same thing at a Beach Boys reunion show, make the music sound "Beach Boyish". But I'm confident they would step up to the plate and do it. BUT, will Brian hit his marks, stay on cue, and maintain his focus for the duration of the show? Will he CARE like he did at his own shows? I hate to drag her into this debate, but Melinda is going to be a key player in many ways.

Yeah, I'd like to see Mike Meros, Ed Carter, Billy Hinshe and all of the familiar faces. But the one face (and voice) that would be essential would be Jeff Foskett's. It would be essential that he fill the role of Brian's "shadow" and assist him in any way that is necessary. In addressing Peter's point, Jeff could also fill the void of Carl's voice when he's not doubling Brian. I would hope that Mike and Jeff could settle their past differences "for the good of the team", and that Jeff would be open to the project...
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2006, 05:14:39 PM »

I have no sense that Mike and Brian are secretly close. The ongoing legal struggle -- the lawsuit launched by Mike -- is such a personal attack, prefaced by so many years of bitterness, and hung on (what seems to me, anyway, as) such a thin legal hook, that the thought of them exchanging smalltalk seems very remote to me.

All of which indicates to me that this entire conversation of a re-formed Beach Boys in November, 2006 may be theoretical, at best.

And I don't mean to be a buzzkill. But sometimes the dream is over and you've gotta deal with what's left. In this case, it's a functioning, absurdly prolific, world-touring, "Smile"-completing Brian Wilson. And who among us would have imagined that ten years ago?
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2006, 06:19:35 PM »

I agree. It appears Mike would need Brian more than the other way around. (this is pretty much the way it has been thru their lives)...and it would seem that the decision is Brian's, and he will decide (along with his wife, Melinda) if this is a good move for him. If he feels any hesitation, he will kiss the whole project goodbye, as is his right. Mike can then sue, and legally wrangle, but the last word is Brian's. Personally, I hope he leaves the whole mess alone, and let sleeping dogs lie....He has made his name with the BB's. History has already been made. In my mind , the book on the Beach Boys was closed with their last #1 hit in the late 80's, and it has been Brian's solo career since then. If I want to hear a post-1987 Beach Boys record, I put on a Brian cd.

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2006, 06:40:37 PM »

Hopefully it will be alright if some of us who see more than just Brian to cling to continue to speculate.  

I don't see any reason to think that they have not always had a loving relationship, the Boys and Brian I mean.  I'm sure Brian's illnesses and addictions have kept him from being able to hold up his side of the relationships for many years but the Boys don't seem to be too bitter about it to me, I doubt Brian is too happy about.  I think them being able to get back together with Brian being in a place able to connect and reciprocate as he often seemingly couldn't in the past could be, by far, the best and most therapuetic that has or will ever happen for Brian and maybe the other Boys.  All speculation of course.

Imo, Al v. BRI is the only uncalled for and cynical litigation. Past suits for infringement, slander and theft by deception were justifyied to mind, but this latest suit, Mike v. Bri et al, is still in litigation so I guess we don't really know on it yet.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 06:42:12 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2006, 06:54:34 PM »

With Peter Carlin and Jon Stebbins around, this should add a new twist to The Thread....
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2006, 08:46:28 PM »

But Brian is now semi-officially retired, by his own account.  Part of that may depned on how the litigation is resolved.  But he's sort of hit a wall as far as his solo career is concerned.  He overtoured last year, as it were.  He has strong appeal in some markets, and they were overexploited.  In others, he never did that well.  How his solo recording career is going remains to be seen, in terms of whether he's coming up with new material and the quality of it.  Some of his prolific output of recent years was from the demands of others, not of his own doing (GIOMH comes to mind, and the Christmas album, which would have made a better EP than LP).  Of course, there is the triumph of BWPS. 

As for Mike, he continues to spin his wheels.  But he's been doing that for 40 years, so that's nothing new, he's used to it.  It's just that his skill is disappearing, and his audience is shrinking.  Al Jardine ain't going nowhere, just getting some nice little gigs here and there.

In other words, it might not be that weird for them to get back together.  I'm not sure I'd like to see it, but I can see where all three of them can see the allure, if the drawbacks don't heavily outweigh it.  It's just going to have to be a new ballgame if it happens.  Brian is going to have to be engaged or it won't work, and Mike and Al are going to have to give him some respect.  It might happen without hell freezing over, you never know.  I don't think Al would shoot his mouth off if he didn't feel something were up, at least potentially.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2006, 10:36:00 PM »

Personally I think its inevitable. Its the only way they can command a significantly higher industry profile  than the one they each have today. Like it or not...the novelty of a BB's reunion will get a lot of media attention. I can't see them resisting it...ego, payday, closure, just the instinct to reach for the maximum general appeal. I'm not saying its going to be pretty...but I'd bet it will happen sooner or later.  I'd hope that Brian does it for the fun, and not because he feels obligated or pressured. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2006, 01:36:58 AM »

It's easy to fall somewhere between being pretty cynical about even the possibility of a reunion, and thinking "anything is possible." I'm thinking about the logistics of it all, and I think while a one-off "reunion" show seems possible, a full-blown "reunion" tour seems less likely. Doesn't Mike Love's "Beach Boys" book shows a year or two in advance in some cases? They may already have shows booked into 2007.

If Al and Brian were involved in a tour, I would doubt that either financially or logistically it would simply consist of Al and Brian joining the current touring band that Mike heads. If a new band and financial setup had to be made for a reunion tour, what would happen to all of the shows booked by the Mike/Bruce "Beach Boys" for that year?

It seems unlikely that they could do a reunion show late this year, and then decide if a full-blown tour could work. If they did that, they'd have to either wait until 2008 or later to do it, shoehorn it in among the Mike/Bruce dates (what kind of confusion would that cause?), or somehow take over the bookings that Mike/Bruce have. Anything is possible, I suppose.

Either way, I could easily envision a reunion show or even tour, followed by Mike and Bruce going back out on their own just like they have. I don't see a reunion as meaning either a retiring of the BB name, or a revival of continual touring from all of the members. A reunion could conceivably happen completely seperate from any band licenses or touring that Mike or anybody else does.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx