gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 10:25:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A BEACH BOYS REUNION?! [Important News]  (Read 36326 times)
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2006, 03:08:14 PM »

the saddest ending since Orson Welles bowed out in the Gobots movie. 

That's the Transformers Movie, a classic role!

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2006, 03:27:22 PM »

the saddest ending since Orson Welles bowed out in the Gobots movie.

That's the Transformers Movie, a classic role!

Thanks for setting the record straight- I'd have hated to see Orson's legacy suffer such an injustice! Grin

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2006, 04:02:23 PM »

Whatever makes the most money will happen. Not for sure, but probably. Besides, the fans want to see it. Hell, YOU want to see it, especially if Brian seems OK doing it. And I'm thinking... if Brian gets involved with them again, it'll be on HIS terms - he might actually have a decent time of it if this is the case.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2006, 04:30:01 PM »

Brian's own shows have been more about love, support,  and appreciation of him and his lefe's work by hardcore fans than sunshine, tubetops, and nostalgia with the oldies radio crowd.  Brian is not a performing flea.  And it's sad that so much of his musical legacy is chained to the world's slowest sinking ship.

I honestly don't see it that way.  As a matter of fact, I'd say Brian's fun in the sun music is underappreciated and unfortunately stands in the shadow of the more serious music he's made.  You never hear somebody say "Man, Brian Wilson is such a genius... he wrote 'Fun, Fun, Fun'."  Why not celebrate some of that as well?  If that happens to bring out the nostalgia crowd, so be it.  Nothing at all wrong with a tubetop at a Brian Wilson concert. 
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2006, 04:34:14 PM »

Brian's own shows have been more about love, support,  and appreciation of him and his lefe's work by hardcore fans than sunshine, tubetops, and nostalgia with the oldies radio crowd.  Brian is not a performing flea.  And it's sad that so much of his musical legacy is chained to the world's slowest sinking ship.

I honestly don't see it that way.  As a matter of fact, I'd say Brian's fun in the sun music is underappreciated and unfortunately stands in the shadow of the more serious music he's made.  You never hear somebody say "Man, Brian Wilson is such a genius... he wrote 'Fun, Fun, Fun'."  Why not celebrate some of that as well?  If that happens to bring out the nostalgia crowd, so be it.  Nothing at all wrong with a tubetop at a Brian Wilson concert. 

Fuckin' A!!!!!!! Thanks for the new sig.
Nothing wrong with a tubetop ever!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2006, 04:47:31 PM »

Brian is not a performing flea.  And it's sad that so much of his musical legacy is chained to the world's slowest sinking ship.

That's deep man.  No joke.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2006, 04:49:15 PM »

Totally agree, Ron, totally agree. If anything, his early stuff has been denigrated in the "ONLY PET SOUNDS MATTERS" campaign. "Surfin' USA?" "Fun Fun Fun?" "I Get A Frickin' Round?" "California Girls?" All UNBELIEVABLY great songs. I think anybody who doesn't appreciate those early songs -- hell, his entire early recording canon -- isn't a proper Brian Wilson fan, and I stand by that. There's a reason those songs are legendary and undying -- they're as brilliant in their own way as Pet Sounds is in its. Anybody who thinks Brian doesn't owe the majority of his legacy to those great songs that the entire world remembers is deluding themselves. The early canon is like fully 1/2 of Brian's full legacy, and not liking them = being about half a Brian fan.

Even the people going to Brian's concerts like to hear those songs. Lord knows I do.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2006, 04:52:54 PM »

Those songs are the crowd pleasers, not "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times"

When the Beach Boys played the Filmore East with the Dead, everyone is trying so hard to be hip and then the Boys break into "I Get Around" and the place went nuts.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2006, 05:15:43 PM »

It would be a big mistake not to play those early songs. They are great and deserve to be heard !
But it's a matter of how you present those songs. People will never realize how great a painting is, when it's shown at McDonald's instead of a picture gallery. 'know what I mean ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2006, 05:22:12 PM »

My dream reunion setlist:

Long Tall Texan
Hey Little Tomboy
Lazy Lizzie
Monster Mash
Can't Stop Talking About American Girls
(I Saw Santa) Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree
Blueberry Hill
Ten Little Indians
The Beaks of Eagles
Do You Like Worms (Disco version)
Wipe Out
School Days
Chasin' The Sky
Problem Child
Shortnin' Bread (Jam incorporating every Bread rewrite Brian has written)
Life Is For The Living

Encore:
Battle Hymn Of The Republic

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2006, 05:24:05 PM »

My issue is overall representation.  The ONLY time in the history of the BB that all eras got a fair shake was the 3 CD GH release a few years back, and even that had zero Denny.  I would want to see the whole shebang -- the early hits, the Pet Sounds, the Smile, the late Capitol period, a smattering of the early 70's.  But what invariably happens is you get a MikeNBruce show that gives one (the hits) without the rest.  Or you get Brian who excels at the obscure but throws a few hits in at the end as a bonus.  The closest we ever got to what I call an ideal set list were the shows in 2000 for the PS tour that didn't have an orchestra, so they had to fill the time with extra songs that balanced it out a bit.

So if they do this, I would want to see a set list that acknowledges that much of the best music was done after 1967.  And I bet they would not do this.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2006, 05:30:34 PM »

what, no 'Smart Girls'? Shrug

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2006, 05:32:08 PM »

what, no 'Smart Girls'? Shrug

Smart Girls NEVER HAPPENED. Just a vicious rumor.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2006, 05:53:37 PM »

My dream reunion setlist:

Long Tall Texan
Hey Little Tomboy
Lazy Lizzie
Monster Mash
Can't Stop Talking About American Girls
(I Saw Santa) Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree
Blueberry Hill
Ten Little Indians
The Beaks of Eagles
Do You Like Worms (Disco version)
Wipe Out
School Days
Chasin' The Sky
Problem Child
Shortnin' Bread (Jam incorporating every Bread rewrite Brian has written)
Life Is For The Living

Encore:
Battle Hymn Of The Republic

I'd pay big bucks to hear that setlist. Hell, I'd pay big bucks just to hear the Shortenin' Bread jam...
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2006, 06:01:11 PM »

I would also totally disagree with whoever dissed the early stuff, but it sure wasn't me.  As it happens, I like Shut Down Volume 2 much better than Wild Honey.  So start a new argument over that.  I also keep the backing track to "Fun, Fun, Fun" in a folder on my desktop and play it about once a week.

My comment was on the overall nature of Brian's shows vs. that of Mike's, not the overall songlists, and for that matter, Brian does play the early stuff.

Vas iss dis "Shmart Girls"? Nevermind- please don't answer.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
SurferGirl7
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2006, 06:36:58 PM »

Hell is sooooooooooooooo going to freeze over before this happens  Roll Eyes
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2006, 06:40:07 PM »

If the living Beach Boys -- i.e., Brian, Mike, Al, and Bruce -- have a concert reunion (and perhaps album), and David Marks is included, am I the only one who thinks Ricky and Blondie should be part of it too?

I mean, maybe they wouldn't want to be part of it, but I say they have at least as much claim as David Marks, probably more -- did the Beach Boys ever record a David Marks composition?  Did David Marks have nearly the instrumental impact, live and on record, as Ricky and Blondie did with the Beach Boys?

This is not meant to denigrate David in any way.  I'm just kind of surprised that Ricky (who played on BB albums through 1980, including 15 Big Ones and KTSA I know for sure) and Blondie are not even being mentioned on this thread.

Wouldn't you get chills hearing Blondie sing "Sail on Sailor"?  Or hearing "Here She Comes" or "Hold on Dear Brother"?  I sure would.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2006, 07:01:11 PM »

No disrespect to Blondie or Ricky- but I think Dave's period in the band was far more significant.

Incidentally, I have heard Blondie sing "Sail On, Sailor"- as part of something calling itself the Byrds in about 1986.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2006, 07:03:46 PM »

BDN -- I concur with you.  I was annoyed at the BB GH releases that listed David Marks as a member but not Blondie or Ricky.  Joe, the period that Marks was a member was more formative, and his influence may require more credit if posts elsewhere on this site about Al's vision of the band are true, but you cannot discount the impact that they had in re-establishing credibility pre-Endless Bummer.  Plus NO ONE ELSE should be allowed to sing Sail On Sailor from the remaining BB members.
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2006, 07:45:44 PM »

I could change my mind by the time I get to the Blueboard or ME3, but now I'm saying I hope it doesn't happen...I doubt that the reunion is happening simply because Al, Brian, Mike and Bruce wanna do it...Mike will wanna use HIS guys, Brian will wanna use HIS team probably--Instant Conflict...it sounds like the Ultimate Logistic Nightmare...Blondie? Ricky?  don't forget to include Daryl Dragon...

I know a lot and I know there's a lot I don't know
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2006, 08:32:58 PM »

Joe, the period that Marks was a member was more formative

That's why I think it was much more significant.  To me, Blondie and Ricky, much as I like their contributions and also wish they'd stuck around, caught the tail end of the ride- the descent, unfortunately. Neither Dave nor The Flame were around for the peak in 1964-66, but I- opinion alert, once again- think 1961-63 was much more important to the band than 1971-73.

...but you cannot discount the impact that they had in re-establishing credibility pre-Endless Bummer.

Just another honest divergence of views, there- having been a very young fan at the time, I don't think that credibility was re-established. Critically, commercially, and (I think) artistically, the Beach Boys after the crash of Spring 1967 were pop music's funny uncle.  They did some wonderful stuff, but they never really had a firm grip again except for limited runs in limited areas, like a nice run of live shows, one really great single ("Sailor") that sold pretty well...they found a niche, but they were never what I would call really firmly re-established.

'61-'63: Classic period for the band (in my opinion)
'71-'73: mixed bag at best( (in my opinion)

Let the scratching, biting, and hair-pulling begin.... Grin

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
MBE
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2006, 09:17:12 PM »

Historic importance is different then musical quality. I have heard from many people how highly regarded the Jack Rieley era stuff was. How credible they again were to those who were truly hip. Not counting the original 5, I think Ricky and Blondie are more artistically interesting then any of the other Beach Boys even Bruce. Not in the groups history maybe just musically. Don't think I am putting the early stuff down. I think all the pre 76 albums and members had something going for them. It is simply just my taste.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2006, 09:50:27 PM »

A reunion show (or tour) probably would work.  As long as Brian could bring most of his band (With Al and Bruce doing their parts).  And Brian should definitely have final say in terms of a set list.  I agree that this shouldn't turn into "The Mike Show".

All differences aside, how cool would it be to have Brian playing bass with Al and Mike on stage again?  I think that's why a show like this might happen.  It could be one last shot.

And how ironic if both Pet Sounds and Smile material were performed, in effect to revive Mike's career?  I bet that might make Brian smile a little inside...  angel
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2006, 04:10:35 AM »

It would be a big mistake not to play those early songs. They are great and deserve to be heard !
But it's a matter of how you present those songs. People will never realize how great a painting is, when it's shown at McDonald's instead of a picture gallery. 'know what I mean ?

If it is a painting made to be shown at McDonalds then that is presentation in its highest form.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2006, 04:23:25 AM »

If it happened, who says they would use any of anyone's band?  Our muso bros acrossed the pond might get a chance of a lifetime.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx