gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 11:13:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A BEACH BOYS REUNION?! [Important News]  (Read 36386 times)
jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2006, 10:42:46 AM »

Maybe Brian has also asserted himself so much with his latest sucesses, that he isn't so afraid of Mike anymore, which could sway him towards participating in a reunion.

Søren

"How can I come on, when I know I'm filthy"
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2006, 11:00:35 AM »

Brian said from time to time, that he'd like to work with Mike again. Then he also said frequently the opposite. Maybe he was asked whe he was just in the "okay"-phase...

And here a new interview with Mike Love, he mentions nothing about a reunion: http://www.recordonline.com/archive/2006/04/21/features_goentertainment-21gocover-04-21.html
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 11:08:35 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2006, 11:11:02 AM »

For the record, PS Live debuted in the US.  Didn't make it to the UK until two years later, i believe.  They did, however, get Smile first...

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
DJF
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2006, 11:39:50 AM »

Right -- and in many of those predictions (including mine), the rationale was the legal side. .

Good point and I took some heat for bringing this up on the CalSaga board quite a few months ago (from someone known as HighSurf).  This is mostly Al's doing, he was very pointed when he was here in Gilroy last summer that he wanted to put the BB surviving members back together.  He did a subsequent interview (perhaps actually done before the Gilroy show) where he talked at length about getting Brian to come out of hiding and be a BB again.

It was right after that (I think in October) that Al dropped any remaining litigation against BRI.  Paving the way for a more peaceful resolution.  The Mike action is not directed at Smile or Brian per se, although many casual fans still believe it is.  Has the case been resolved yet? 

I got the hint from Brian's messages on BW.com that he was heading in this direction as well.  Obviously a lot of talk and negotiations have been going on behind the scenes for many months now.

I know I would love to see all four together again, even if it sounds terrible.  Just one last chance.  perhaps that is how they see it as well.

Dave
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2006, 12:55:28 PM »

Is Brian really doing better than Mike, at least as a live act?  I've not gotten that impression.  Both acts are really better served by smaller venues, as Brian learned this summer.  Mike can get some decent fees, but again, the BB mostly play smaller places.   Brian does well in some markets, not so well in others.  I'm really not convinced that this could help either act build a larger audience, either in terms of touring or maybe a one-off show with a DVD.  It's not much to get excited about, but if it makes them happy and helps heal wounds, good for them.  If it doesn't make them happy and re-opens old wounds, then forget about it. 
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2006, 01:29:32 PM »

As for the lawsuit, here's the update I posted over on the grey board:
Bumped up for a brief update: Two parties were let out of Mike's case (Big Time TV and Associated Newspapers). Brian and his companies have appeared in the case and are set to file answers to the complaint next week. A hard-fought motion to disqualify Mike Love's lawyers from representing Mike was denied. No details on what the grounds for the motion were. Both Melinda and Mike (among many others) filed statements regarding that motion. The remaining motions to dismiss by David Leaf and others will now be heard on May 15. Again, to date only a handful of the court documents (mostly one-page court orders) have been posted on line so there's not much further detail to report.  (There 's an earlier thread on this board with all the gory details of the initial filing).

Beyond that. no clue from the court filing that any settlement is imminent, though of course that could happen anytime if there's incentive.  As for getting Brian onstage with the others, believe it when you see it, not before.   There's still a ways to go,  it sounds like a wish on Al's part more than anything else, not that there's anything wrong with that. . 

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2006, 01:38:50 PM »

If Al is behind it, I think that is only appropriate, and I wish him well and hope it happens.  I think it will be good for Brian to be able connect that way again with his problems more under control for a change.  They will do it if they want to and lawsuits will have nothing to do with it imo.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2006, 03:47:36 PM »

I had a long talk with Al today. It seems everybody is talking again in the BB's world... who knows if it will last...but...Brian and Al are talking regularly...they've both spoken with Mike recently and it was all positive...David is visiting with Mike and Bruce tonight...anything is possible.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2006, 04:10:08 PM »

thanks, good news lets hope for the better
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2006, 04:16:51 PM »

Well, that's good.  As long as they can face each other and get a little enjoyment out of each others company, then it should be okay.  There's not enough money in the world to pay them if they really don't want to do it or can't stand the sight of each other.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2006, 07:45:35 PM »

If *BIG IF* this comes to pass, here's what I'd like to see.

Have it be just a one-off concert, but promote the hell out of it.  Air it as a concert special on network tv, then a month or two later release the entire concert uncut on DVD with a documentary/behind-the-scenes of how it came to be, the rehearsals, etc.

No tour, nothing else, just a one-shot deal, and then retire the Beach Boys name.

Line up would be as follows:

Mike Love
Bruce Johnston
David Marks
Al Jardine
Brian Wilson

None of the above would play instruments.  Just the five of them center stage around mics

Jeffrey Foskett on guitar
Matt Jardine on percussion

they would share falsetto duties

Backup band would be:

Jim Hines (or Bobby Figuroa... definately not Kowalski) on drums
Ed Carter on bass
Darian Sahanaja on keyboard and vibes
Billy Hinsche on piano
Mike Meros on organ
Nick Walusko on guitar
Scott Totten on guitar
Probyn Gregory on guitar, tannerin, trumpet, french horn, etc
Paul Mertens on saxophone, flute, harmonica

Since it's a one-off deal throw in the Stockholm Strings n Horns as well

The concert would center around Pet Sounds (that would be the only part televised) but the concert could include some hits and rareties as well.  Need to think of a full setlist for the DVD.

After the show, the Beach Boys name is retired.

If Mike still had the bug to tour, he could do it as "Mike Love presents his Beach Boys" or somesuch.

The end

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2006, 08:12:19 PM »

Mike singing on Pet Sounds Live with Brian and Al would be so worth it. Heck, even to have Bruce join in the round at the end of God Only Knows would be amazing. As long as Mike's bass voice is still in effect, it should ADD to the Brian shows, because Brian's band is missing that voice.

Watch out for snakes!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2006, 08:12:53 PM »

Jeff, you forgot to have them end world hunger!
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2006, 08:29:49 PM »

No tour, nothing else, just a one-shot deal, and then retire the Beach Boys name.

Why a one-shot?  Why retire the name?  If they're going to do this they may as well do it right while hopefully getting all the bad feelings resolved by having a "SMiLE" Reunion concert, too.

If they could do that it would definitely open things up for the SMiLE Original Sessions Box Set -- with hopefully the Oppenheimer films added to the collection.

And I hope they tour the US with this line-up, too.  I mean, if they can do this without anyone feelings getting hurt and hopefully really enjoying themselves then I'm all for it. 

(HOWEVER...  I sincerely hope Mike works on his vocal prowess.  I think Brian is a better singer than Mike these days.  Mike's voice sounds really, really weak and thin.  If he can't sing better than what I've heard from him these past few years I almost don't think it would be worth it.)

Love and merci,  Dan Lega
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2006, 08:40:08 PM »

If *BIG IF* this comes to pass, here's what I'd like to see.

Have it be just a one-off concert, but promote the hell out of it.  Air it as a concert special on network tv, then a month or two later release the entire concert uncut on DVD with a documentary/behind-the-scenes of how it came to be, the rehearsals, etc.

Line up would be as follows:

Mike Love
Bruce Johnston
David Marks
Al Jardine
Brian Wilson

None of the above would play instruments.  Just the five of them center stage around mics

Jeffrey Foskett on guitar
Matt Jardine on percussion

they would share falsetto duties

Backup band would be:

Jim Hines (or Bobby Figuroa... definately not Kowalski) on drums
Ed Carter on bass
Darian Sahanaja on keyboard and vibes
Billy Hinsche on piano
Mike Meros on organ
Nick Walusko on guitar
Scott Totten on guitar
Probyn Gregory on guitar, tannerin, trumpet, french horn, etc
Paul Mertens on saxophone, flute, harmonica

Since it's a one-off deal throw in the Stockholm Strings n Horns as well

The concert would center around Pet Sounds (that would be the only part televised) but the concert could include some hits and rareties as well.  Need to think of a full setlist for the DVD.

If Mike still had the bug to tour, he could do it as "Mike Love presents his Beach Boys" or somesuch.

The end

Sir, i know u mean well...but come on, dude...i'm sick of  your detail, man. if it makes you feel better to list and control, then fine, but it creeps me out how thought out all yr pre-analysis is...almost pretentious you are.
Man they are gonna do what theyre gonna do...please become their manager and agent and lawyer and stage guy and dvd remasterer, etc. whatever the hell u can...just chill & be still.
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2006, 08:40:28 PM »

Hopefully, Brian's band will be involved. If not, it will be a trainwreck.
AMEN
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2006, 09:17:06 PM »

Mike Love
Bruce Johnston
David Marks
Al Jardine
Brian Wilson

See, i would put a guitar in David's hands.  He's too fine a player to take that away from him.  He sings fine, but he plays great.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2006, 12:04:58 AM »

Yeah! And Al! come on... How can you do songs like "Sloop John B" and things with Al on stage, and NOT have him play?  Al playing guitar onstage = money. 
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2006, 12:07:01 AM »

Yeah, Al would just look odd without a guitar.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2006, 12:38:58 AM »

Yeah, Al would just look odd without a guitar.

You COULD give him a set of dentist's pliers.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2006, 02:20:51 AM »

I had a long talk with Al today. It seems everybody is talking again in the BB's world... who knows if it will last...but...Brian and Al are talking regularly...they've both spoken with Mike recently and it was all positive...David is visiting with Mike and Bruce tonight...anything is possible.

That's great news Jon!!!  I talked to Al for about 5 minutes at the Cerritos concert on March 17, and he was very upbeat then.  There was no mention of a reunion then, but then again, that was a month ago.   

So how much is airfare from San Diego to London?  Just in case...  Grin

Good vibes,
Eric
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2006, 05:24:51 AM »

About £600 return ($900?).

I tend to agree with the poster who pointed out that PS has already been thoroughly done live; surely this would deter 'Brian's band' from participating again? (cash apart, of course).

Personally I was hoping for gracious and fulfilled retirement from BW and a new Wondermints album.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2006, 11:34:32 AM »

Whatever the Beach Boys - all of them - have been doing in the last three decades is irrelevant. Footpage notes. Even BWPS will slowly fade away as a novelty release.

I wouldn't care much about the prospects of a reunion, but the idea makes some Brianistas so angry that I'm warming up to it.  Grin

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2006, 01:34:09 PM »

Sir, i know u mean well...but come on, dude...i'm sick of  your detail, man. if it makes you feel better to list and control, then fine, but it creeps me out how thought out all yr pre-analysis is...almost pretentious you are.
Man they are gonna do what theyre gonna do...please become their manager and agent and lawyer and stage guy and dvd remasterer, etc. whatever the hell u can...just chill & be still.

With all due respect man i was just taking ideas myself and others have had about a reunion (the idea has been around forever) and put it down into words in one cohesive post.  I didn't pre-analyse it because as of yet there's nothing TO pre-analyse.  More like wishful thinking on the part of Mr Jardine, which is why I started my post *big if*.  I realize they are going to do what they're going to do and my opinion doesn't amount to sh*t, but it's fun to dream.  As for becoming part of their team, the only job i'd like is Alan Boyd's   Grin

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2006, 02:26:51 PM »

Personally, I'd rather not see it.  Other than maybe the little '93 box set tour, they haven't really done anything to help their legacy since about 1974.  There's no artistic reason for it; there's certainly no mystique to exploit; the only reasons I can see for it are personal reconciliation and the fact that, as it stands, Stars and Stripes was the saddest ending since Orson Welles bowed out in the Gobots movie.  But both of those are considerable. 

If they could do something that retired the name and ended the lawsuits in a classy, dignified, "Good VIbrations" manner, it'd be o.k.  But that's not what I think would happen.  I think we'd see two important names added to the Mike and Bruce lineup for a while, with the goal to play B-level venues for one round instead od Z-level ones, and then back to business as usual.

Mike will die on stage and that's fine, that's his choice, but it would be sad for Brian to go out that way because I don't think it's his choice.  Brian's own shows have been more about love, support,  and appreciation of him and his lefe's work by hardcore fans than sunshine, tubetops, and nostalgia with the oldies radio crowd.  Brian is not a performing flea.  And it's sad that so much of his musical legacy is chained to the world's slowest sinking ship.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx