gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:27:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A BEACH BOYS REUNION?! [Important News]  (Read 36178 times)
Quincy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2006, 08:32:45 AM »

Bruce Johnston said yesterday on the BBB board...the only thing he knows about a reunion is when he plays a CD of original BB music.

Butch
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2006, 09:02:14 AM »

Personally, I hope that it happens and it's a total disaster and it makes it uncool to like The Beach Boys again. Might separate some of the wheat from the chaff.

I like the way you think.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 09:06:29 AM by Heywood Floyd » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2006, 09:36:58 AM »

Welcome Lola Jane.  Keep up the word.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2006, 10:31:53 AM »

Hey guys, new to the board, but long time reader. I am not too sure, but check out the Beach Boys Band web site. Is that Jeff Foskett with Mike Love and Bruce at that Stamos party. It's a picture link they have on their main page. I say that here because there is some speculation as to whether or not Jeff would be involved in a reunion. They all seem to be getting along at a private party, why wouldn't they get along on stage in front of many people probably for a good amount of money.

http://www.beachboysband.net/JAMESA.htm
Lola Jane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2006, 11:10:05 AM »

Quote:
>In this case, personnel = musicians playing in the background.  Mike's standards of musicianship are definitely lower than Brian's and it shows in the performances.  All three surviving original members have their own bands.  Most of the long time BB backing band is with Al, Brian has Foskett and the Mints, and Mike has patched together a new crew of BB members.  If all three perform together, who is the band?  And how well do they play?  It DOES matter.<

In fairness, all of these bands have had their good and bad days on stage, judging from the various comments made across the boards.  The average fan isn't going to mind if it's Mike, Brian or Porky Pig playing the hits, as long as they're true to the original sound and intention.  It might not be 'right' to an aficionado, but it's sort of true.  The band is whoever is playing the songs, as long as there is at least some original members present, to prevent it from being a tribute band.  A hackneyed version of the current backing members could call themselves the Beach Boys as long as they wheeled an infirm Brian Wilson onto the stage in twenty years time, and had him hand clapping in the back (and ostensibly call him the leader of the tour group, whether true or not).
I'm not saying I agree with it, but trying to create the real Beach Boys is like chasing a dream and won't be resolved via a reunion.  The Beach Boys is whoever holds the trademark. 
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2006, 11:23:05 AM »

The real Beach Boys hit the critical list in 1983 and died forever in 1998 IMO.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2006, 11:28:17 AM »

When I think of how this might be promoted or advertised I think of the first Jefferson Starship tour of the early seventies.  

JEFFERSON STARSHIP

Grace Slick
Paul Kantner
David Frieberg
Perter Kaukonen
John Barbata
Papa John Creech

and listed featured musicians.

I was a pretty big fan of the fragmented Jefferson Airplane.  I saw the add in a paper one day.

It prominently listed the personnel seperately in letters as big as the group name.

SO

It could be

THE BEACH BOYS

Brian Wilson
Mike Love
Al Jardine
Bruce Johnson
David Marks

featuring
Jeffery Foskett
 Darian Sahanaja
Chris Farmer
Scott Totten
MikeMeros
Ed Carter
Mike Kowalski

This alleviated some of the confusion over just who you would be going to see.
Wyndham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2006, 11:37:05 AM »

Donald when you list it like that, with five undisputed real Beach Boys there they would have every right to be a strong lineup of the REAL Beach Boys IMO. Sure Carl isn't there but Brian would be, which he hasn't really been for a good 30 years. Throw in Blondie and Ricky and it would be a fantastic lineup. For a Pet Sounds concert, the only song where the original singer would not be present is God Only Knows. I think people are forgetting that Carl is not SO necessary because Brian would be there. 
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2006, 12:37:58 PM »

It seems to me the only way to get around that is to have Al keep touring with them afterwards.

Works for me- hadn't thought of that at all.  That legitimizes the post-reunion band and probably leaves everybody happy except for a few lawyers.  Brian's appearance in a resulting DVD or CD could provide that "final" aspect for marketing purposes and the needed closure for him personally and for the fans.

If Dave is feeling well enough to stick around to any degree, and if he wanted to, you'd have four indisputable sixties Beach Boys still touring.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2006, 01:06:22 PM »

The only people who fear a reunion like that are those who considered Beautiful Dreamer the final word about the Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 02:02:19 PM by Dancing Bear » Logged

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2006, 01:09:20 PM »

Hey guys, new to the board, but long time reader. I am not too sure, but check out the Beach Boys Band web site. Is that Jeff Foskett with Mike Love and Bruce at that Stamos party. It's a picture link they have on their main page. I say that here because there is some speculation as to whether or not Jeff would be involved in a reunion. They all seem to be getting along at a private party, why wouldn't they get along on stage in front of many people probably for a good amount of money.

http://www.beachboysband.net/JAMESA.htm

Well, you have an excellent point.  There's a picture right there from last month with Jeff Foskett sitting right next to Mike Love and Bruce Johnston singing Beach Boys songs. 
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2006, 01:36:16 PM »

Yea, so if anything, the two camps (BW and ML & BJ) have some sort of communication going on, whether it's about a reunion or not, at least sides seem comfortable enough to mingle at a party.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2006, 02:03:34 PM »

Well, you have an excellent point.  There's a picture right there from last month with Jeff Foskett sitting right next to Mike Love and Bruce Johnston singing Beach Boys songs. 

Have mercy!

Watch out for snakes!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2006, 02:08:29 PM »

Mike looks like Darth Sidious in one of those pics...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2006, 03:14:00 PM »

Yea, so if anything, the two camps (BW and ML & BJ) have some sort of communication going on, whether it's about a reunion or not, at least sides seem comfortable enough to mingle at a party.

I believe Bruce said Mike Meros was there on keys also, which brings in Al's "camp".

Who's the blonde dude with the black eyebrows? Huh

Melinda
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 26, 2006, 04:33:59 PM »

Looks like Jimmy Armstrong of Papa Doo Run Run.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2006, 04:52:29 PM »

He's more machine than man....twisted and evil.....

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2006, 06:34:43 PM »

Zing!  LOL

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2006, 08:12:34 PM »

This has quickly turned to Star Wars lol.  Afro  Just throwing this one out there, because I know people have done it with the Beatles. Would anyone be opposed to Justyn Wilson and Carl Wilson (Dennis's son) joining the group as replacements for their father. Carl plays drums and Justyn plays guitar in their band In Bloom. It's just a thought, but wanted to see what people thought while getting the thread back on topic.

Charlie
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2006, 08:16:26 PM »

throw in the Wilson sisters and Jardine's son you can replace the whole band!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 26, 2006, 08:31:30 PM »

Add some of Mike's kids and this is the Beach Boys of the near future.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2006, 12:23:58 AM »

Whether or not a reunion happens, I don't think Foskett being in the same room as Mike and Bruce has anything to do with it. I think Foskett was there because he's a friend of Stamos, as are Mike, Bruce, and numerous other folks.

It isn't like that's the first time somebody from one "camp" appears with somebody from another "camp." Randell Kirsche (who I think is also in that picture of the Stamos get together) has played with both Al's band and Mike's band. Carnie and Wendy worked with both Al and Brian in the midst of the various lawsuits. Matt Jardine and Bruce Johnston worked with Brian (albeit in 1998, prior to the various "camps" being so clearly defined). Phil Bardowell played with Mike and Bruce, and now he appears with one of the off-shoot "beach" bands featuring Matt Jardine. I think Foskett and Scott Bennett from Brian's band do gigs with another off-shoot band that features Billy Hinsche from Al's band. Foskett and Hinsche have done gigs together.

These instances of crossing over and working together was what made it even more sad to see both Brian and Al (and David Marks) all appear at the Hawthorne Landmark event, yet not sing together. It was kind of sad to see Al get up and do that karaoke thing with "Sloop John B" and mention he was doing it only because he didn't have a band, and then see Brian get up seperately and perform while Al watched from the side of the stage. All the while, Billy Hinsche was there not performing with either one of them, not to mention David Marks. They all could have sang together without it being a "Beach Boys" reunion. I would actually think that with Mike and Bruce not there, it would have been easier to perform together since it would have avoided having to call it a "reunion."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2006, 05:56:00 AM »

Add some of Mike's kids and this is the Beach Boys of the near future.

Add some of Mike's ex-wives and you've got a full-blown women's choir! Wink

On the right note, I agree with HeyJude. And will say this much -  Just cos a bunch of guys can sing together as friends doesn't mean anything about "camps", resolutions or whatever.  It's a shame the remaining Beach Boys are not singing together in public but I don't see that other folks, their fellow stage musicians, have to quit being pals just because their paymasters are involved in some dumb litigation. The photos are nothing mor than a bunch of folks having fun. They don't mean that Jeff Fiskett's having Mike Love's babies or anything.

“We live in divisive times.”
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2006, 07:31:15 AM »

I think you two are missing the forest for all the trees.

All we're saying is, Jeff and Mike obviously don't have any animosity towards each other, so it'd be pretty easy for them to both participate in a 1-off reunion show.  That's all.  Others have insinuated that Mike would NEVER WORK!!! with Jeff and the rest of the band but here he is photo'd right next to the guy and they're not even punching each other. 
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2006, 08:43:40 AM »

Yeah...and as far as BB's crossing over into other "camps" goes...David Marks has played three recent shows with Mike and Bruce (including one last week), and several shows with Al in the last six months. He does shows with Foskett and Billy in the UK and U.S. too. Plus he's still real friendly with Brian whenever he sees him.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx