gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680836 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 08:40:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which Do You Prefer?
album version - 14 (34.1%)
single - 27 (65.9%)
PC from California version - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Track Talk #8: California Saga/California  (Read 5092 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2012, 05:16:13 AM »

Obviously not yet, but when it comes to it, I think CS/California would be a good track next - Single and Album versions once again, although minimal differences this time

Ok someone's going to have to help me out here because, comparing the single and album mixes on spotify, I can't tell the difference aside from better clarity on the 99 remaster I'm listening to.

I'm throwing Al's crazy Neil Young version into the poll too. Nice hearing Neil singing this one.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 05:23:04 AM »

The single edit is on The Best of The Brother Years - if it still sounds the same, check yr spotify isn't linking the track to a version on yr computer?

Single version has horns, more Brian, better mix, more moog. It's a really nice production. And this is a really nice song!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 09:03:07 AM »

Always wish it went a bit more like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ylp4smFxx8 (Go to about 1:05-1:40 to hear the most significant revamping I did)

This is just a working idear I had for it, it's obviously not 100% finished. Too messy? For me, Brian's part was always my favorite and was the biggest "hook" the song had.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 09:04:31 AM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 10:10:18 AM »

Posted the single version the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmN6R-e9Knw

I prefer it, although the 'water' vocals after the intro are too soft and lack the punch of the album version...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »

Always wish it went a bit more like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ylp4smFxx8 (Go to about 1:05-1:40 to hear the most significant revamping I did)

This is just a working idear I had for it, it's obviously not 100% finished. Too messy? For me, Brian's part was always my favorite and was the biggest "hook" the song had.

Thanks, runners. I like it. Your version is now on my iTunes!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 12:14:45 PM »

Probably my favorite Al song. Single version sounds slightly overproduced but it edges out the LP version because of more Brian, quite simply. There's something really fascinating about his early-70s voice I think, it sounds soft and kind of exhausted but also incredibly charming.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 01:02:55 PM »

I like this song because it both fits on Holland, AND sounds like a classic Beach Boys song. (Of course, the fact that it's basically a ripoff of california girls with a hint of cool cool water sure helps that along)

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 01:16:48 PM »

Hey, Al doesn't "ripoff", he "bases"  LOL

Single version gets my vote for all above reasons + it's a bit zippier.

But that's not to pish-posh the other 2 versions - all good - and loved Al's live version from earlier this year

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 01:44:27 PM »

Since I keep spreading these over the board, here's the Wembley Performance

http://soundcloud.com/frederickjamesfrench-pounce/california-saga-california

I also only just noticed that they add in the single version bits live!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:45:29 PM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 02:53:35 PM »

I always like the brief, acoustic version in the Endless Harmony doc - if anybody has this and can help me "locate" it I would be most grateful...  Wink

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 03:38:45 PM »

The single version is superior to the album version. Love the horns and the little Brian insert ("On my way..."). It actually makes me enjoy the album version less; it drags in comparison.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 04:37:57 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 03:45:55 PM »

That's awesome. Nice job. You could even combine the two "On My Way To"'s and place a delayed "Sunny Californi-a" on top to forge a double tracked lead.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 10:16:34 PM »

There's Al's acoustic version that was released on ESQ's "One in a Million" CD in 2004 or so.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 10:26:58 AM »

I like it, runners.  I agree that Brian's parts are terrific.  That said, try losing Brian from 1:30-1:33.  Maybe 2:16-2:23, too.  A touch of breath.

Great tune and like many, I, too, prefer the single version.  I wish the lyric at 2:53 ("sing about liberty") would have been "liberation," thus giving us a nice internal near-rhyme with "Big Sur congregation."  Oh well, what can you do?  As I said, it's a great compostition of Al's, featuring a wonderful (if all too short) hook coutesy of Brian.  Definitely one of the highlights of the evening at Darien Lake last summer.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 04:35:55 PM »

this song makes me want to immediately visit the central california coast.

best state ever aside from the politics.

both versions are dope. the single version has a slight edge, but not much. was cool getting to see it played live with al on the banjo!!!

No mas, por favor.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 06:27:12 PM »

thanks mrmoustachioto for uploading the single version!

I have to opt for the album version. But this may be because I'm used to it.

The banjo stands out a lot more in the single version which is really nice!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
}{eywood
Smiley Smile Associate

That's OK. I'll fix it in post.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2021, 02:36:02 PM »

I always like the brief, acoustic version in the Endless Harmony doc - if anybody has this and can help me "locate" it I would be most grateful...  Wink
I second this.  I've wanted to use parts of this for an extension of CCW, but the full version eludes me

We likes you, Brian Wilson.  We likes you, Dennis Wilson.  We likes you, Carl Wilson.  We likes you, Al Jardine.  Hell we even likes you, Al Jarreau.  But f*** you, Mike Love.  f*** you, Mike Love

Having a hard time finding the MQR Ear to Ear Expansion lossless?  Look here: https://mega.nz/folder/rpwyxYRS#QOUzKBal0pwye0hqS5zDpQ
waketheworld
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2021, 07:52:21 PM »

I remember hearing this on AM radio as a kid and thinking it was just about the most beautiful thing I'd ever heard.  The water, water is so big and bold that it makes the hair on my arms stand on end to this day.  It is certainly the best song Alan Jardine ever wrote and one of the high points of the Seventies for The Boys, in my opinion.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2021, 04:38:10 AM »

Always loved California as a New Jersey kid but this was the song that really got me yearning to go to Big Sur. And have been fortunate to have been there now a few times. Simply put probably the most beautiful spot in the continental US. Love it there
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2021, 11:00:45 PM »

Did the group ever perform the full California Saga live? It seems like parts 1 and 2 always get left out. I always listen  to the full saga.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2021, 07:12:30 PM »

Did the group ever perform the full California Saga live? It seems like parts 1 and 2 always get left out. I always listen  to the full saga.
No?
hongkongcrowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2021, 01:24:53 AM »

I also like the live version from the Carnegie Hall concerts - it's fun and loose.  When will those shows be released???
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx