gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:11:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which Beach Boys "Classics" are.. 'Not to your taste?'  (Read 39315 times)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 25, 2013, 04:20:41 PM »

Catch A Wave, Be With Me and The Trader are the three biggest favorites that i tend to stay away from. I know that I should like them, but I just... don't. Catch A Wave is too hokey (I hope that's a word) to me, and the other two come off as slightly pretentious. Hey, what can I say? To quote Gary Usher, "That's just the way i feel".

I don't like The Trader either. Never got why people like it so much.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #201 on: June 25, 2013, 11:41:52 PM »

Catch A Wave, Be With Me and The Trader are the three biggest favorites that i tend to stay away from. I know that I should like them, but I just... don't. Catch A Wave is too hokey (I hope that's a word) to me, and the other two come off as slightly pretentious. Hey, what can I say? To quote Gary Usher, "That's just the way i feel".

It's something to do with the incredible moog bass, the stunning backing vocals, the killer melodic first half and the gorgeous second, the career-best Rieley lyrics and Carl delivering one of his best, most heart-felt vocals ever... At least that's why I like it.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 26, 2013, 01:32:29 AM »

You're So Good To Me is not so good...to me.

Listen to Stebbins at this point.

YSGTM is too simple a fairground ditty.
You've already posted similar thing about the song. I even had some argument with you on the subject. At one of the latest pages, if I recall.

I thought as much. Well, my bad.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 26, 2013, 04:35:02 AM »

It's something to do with the incredible moog bass, the stunning backing vocals, the killer melodic first half and the gorgeous second, the career-best Rieley lyrics and Carl delivering one of his best, most heart-felt vocals ever... At least that's why I like it.

I wish I were hearing the same song you are, Friend.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #204 on: June 26, 2013, 10:58:52 AM »

It's THE best song on Holland, by a mile. And I love all of Holland. What about Long Promised Road and Feel Flows - you dislike them too? Curious how some people just do not like Carl's song-writing, period. Whereas to me, when he was really on form he equalled his brothers.
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 26, 2013, 11:44:33 AM »

It's THE best song on Holland, by a mile. And I love all of Holland. What about Long Promised Road and Feel Flows - you dislike them too? Curious how some people just do not like Carl's song-writing, period. Whereas to me, when he was really on form he equalled his brothers.

On the contrary, Long Promised Road happens to be one of my favorite Beach Boy songs, and Feel Flows is great as well. The Trader however has never really appealed to me. I understand that it's a great artistic achievement, but it just isn't to my taste. The first half is fine, and the second half is good enough, but it goes on just a bit too long for me. Don't get me wrong, I think Carl is a great songwriter, I just think he's got better things to offer than The Trader.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 26, 2013, 07:27:07 PM »

I'm a HUGE fan of Long Promised Road and Feel Flows. Those two songs are much better than a lot of songs Brian or Dennis wrote. I'm not trying to take anything away from Carl. I just don't like the feel of the song I guess. To each his own.

- Dr. Seuss
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: June 27, 2013, 04:24:59 AM »

Most of POB. Actually, almost all of it except for River Song really.

Dennis' voice ruins it. Like Randy Newman drinking 10 bottles of tequila a day.  Tongue Sometimes his voice from this era does work (River Song, Baby Blue, etc...) but ugh, here it really is not great at all.

I think it's Dennis voice that actually makes Pacific Ocean Blue work as an album. It's raw, its powerful, its full of emotion, and it's this combination that makes the album a beautiful thing.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 27, 2013, 04:30:58 AM »

Dennis' voice ruins it. Like Randy Newman drinking 10 bottles of tequila a day.  Tongue Sometimes his voice from this era does work (River Song, Baby Blue, etc...) but ugh, here it really is not great at all.

I think it's Dennis voice that actually makes Pacific Ocean Blue work as an album. It's raw, its powerful, its full of emotion, and it's this combination that makes the album a beautiful thing.

Smiley Mark

Seconded, thirded, and fourthed.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 27, 2013, 04:42:20 AM »

fifthed.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 27, 2013, 04:43:11 AM »

Cottonfields....... just don't like it ..... Jardins attempt as some sort of sequel to Sloop John B which is one of my favorite BB numbers

Be true to your School

Student Demonstration Time...... Just doesn't sound authentic to me as though Mike Love is desperate for relavence

Rock n Roll Music....... Never liked it at all..... a bit lame

I'm being picky...... for the most part Brian Wilson has no equal
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 04:44:56 AM by beatnickle » Logged
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 27, 2013, 05:22:18 AM »

Dennis' voice ruins it. Like Randy Newman drinking 10 bottles of tequila a day.  Tongue Sometimes his voice from this era does work (River Song, Baby Blue, etc...) but ugh, here it really is not great at all.

Smiley Mark

Damn right. It's the voice of a tortured soul on the verge of collapsing - it's supposed to be raw and coarse. It's supposed to not be easy to listen to. There is a lot of pain in his vocals, as is emotion. It's simply Dennis as he was at the time - a perfectly captured image of his life, not one bit sweetened (sweeten?).
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 27, 2013, 11:41:11 AM »

Well they aren't classics at least some of them aren't so here goes..1} A Day in the life of a tree. 2} Got to know the woman 3}Student Demonstration time 4} Make it good 5} Steamboat 6}Blueberry Hill 7} In the still of the night Cool I never play BB Party lp.. 9} Side 2 of Friends lp 10} I never appreciated Pet Sounds or Lets go away for awhile till I saw them performed live.. 11}I rarely play Surfin Safari + Surfin USA lp"s  In fact the 1st lp I can play all the way thru without skipping tracks is: All Summer Long 12}Don't like the lead vocal on In the back of my mind..13}Wipe Out  14} Lonley Sea 15}The Surfer Moon 16)Problem Child 17} Happy Endings 18}Summer of Love 19}When Girls get together 20}Love Surrounds Me..
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 27, 2013, 12:13:08 PM »

18}Summer of Love
.... what?
You... don't like Summer Of Love?
AND YOU CALL YOURSELF A BEACH BOYS FAN

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
ArtVandalay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 28, 2013, 02:03:35 PM »

Rock and Roll Music. I cannot for the life of me understand why this is included on so many best-of compilations and why it was at the end of the C50 setlist amongst songs like GV, CG, etc. It's embarrassingly bad. The Beatles did it much, much better. Let it die.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #215 on: June 28, 2013, 02:07:50 PM »

The Beatles did it much, much better.

Yes, they sure taught that Chuck Berry a thing or two.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #216 on: June 28, 2013, 02:15:44 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:01:00 PM by zatch » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 04, 2013, 06:38:14 AM »

Rock and Roll Music. I cannot for the life of me understand why this is included on so many best-of compilations and why it was at the end of the C50 setlist amongst songs like GV, CG, etc. It's embarrassingly bad. The Beatles did it much, much better. Let it die.

I too think John Lennon sang it way better than Mike Love or Chuck Berry.
I'm no fan of John's voice, but I too think he did excellent lead on R&R Music. Chuck's original take is way-way weak than the other 2. Yes, Mike sounds nasal, so what? It still is a fun cover & one of my favorites on 1976 BBs record.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 04, 2013, 06:47:17 AM »

Cottonfields....... just don't like it ..... Jardins attempt as some sort of sequel to Sloop John B which is one of my favorite BB numbers

The single version is much better, to my ears - the thing just takes off thanks to Dennis' drumming. The 20/20 album version is really flat.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: July 04, 2013, 04:59:08 PM »

- Be true to your school. Especially with Mike's live-intro. But I had fun when he messed up during the song last year in concert.
- Rock & Roll music. That's not the kind of music Chuck Berry sang about.

pmugghc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 05, 2013, 12:45:03 PM »

The early slow stuff:
In my room
Surfer Girl
Graduation day
pmugghc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 05, 2013, 12:50:33 PM »

California Girls, Marcella, Sail On Sailor, finished versions of Surf's Up (thus excluding the "demo").

Wow, those 3 are on my top 15 list of songs I love.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 05, 2013, 01:01:36 PM »

Caroline, No is grating. I skip it on pretty much every album it's on that I listen to.

And, while I'm not really defending it, Rock and Roll Music is on so many compilations because it was a top-5 single. Seems kinda obvious.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 05, 2013, 06:41:58 PM »

What the hell, Caroline No is amazing to me - sublime melody and arrangement. What grates you?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 06, 2013, 06:27:42 AM »

What the hell, Caroline No is amazing to me - sublime melody and arrangement. What grates you?
I usually listen to the regular speed version on the PS Box. It is more haunting and you truly feel the lyric. I also enjoy Carl's take on In Concert. He gives the song a lot of feeling, as well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.