gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 06:52:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys + Wikipedia = Wrinkles  (Read 46178 times)
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2012, 11:49:33 PM »

I dramatically restructured the subheadings of the Wikipedia article to aid in the telling of the Beach Boys narrative and added a few pictures/tidbits (Maharishi, Adult/Child, the band breaking up in '77). Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beach_Boys Would you guys alter any of those headings? Am I missing any noteworthy additions? A few of the subheadings feature ample room for expansion (The 15 Big Ones / "Brian's Back" one for example) but I figure it's best to sketch out a rough direction for what direction the article is going to take and then fill in the blanks later on.

Also, an editor called yeepsi has proposed a Beach Boys WikiProject be created. Basically, it's a group where there will be to-do lists and hints and tips for expanding coverage of the Beach Boys on Wikipedia. For example, I might put down that an article for "Adult/Child" should be created, and then members of the WikiProject can all band together and get it off the ground. If you are interested or want to help give us the numbers to get this thing off the ground,  just follow this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:WikiProject_Council/Proposals/The_Beach_Boys&action=edit&section=2 and copy and paste #~~~~ in the edit window. You don't have to have a wikipedia account to do this, but it's recommended that you do.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2012, 02:17:29 PM »

"interactions with the Maharishi" is a bad thing to put in a subheading that only references 68-69. the Maharishi's influence on the Beach Boys was strong throughout the 70s, and to a lesser extent for the rest of his life.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2012, 06:32:33 PM »

"interactions with the Maharishi" is a bad thing to put in a subheading that only references 68-69. the Maharishi's influence on the Beach Boys was strong throughout the 70s, and to a lesser extent for the rest of his life.

Good call, I'll change it to "initial interactions".

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2012, 06:28:37 AM »

"Following Carl Wilson's death, the surviving members splintered. Mike Love and Bruce Johnston continued to tour as the Beach Boys Band, while Al Jardine toured regularly with his Endless Summer Band. Brian Wilson made a complete recovery from his mental illness and embarked on a successful solo career that saw him touring regularly with his backing band the Wondermints."

OK, problems with this are -

1 - Mike & Bruce initially toured as "America's Band", couldn't draw flies and went back to ask to be allowed to use the franchise name. This resulted in the current licensing arrangements, with all the grief that ensued.

2 - Alan only toured 'regularly' for maybe 18 months, initially as Beach Boys: Family & Friends. Cue more grief.

3 - Brian's 'recovered completely from his mental illness' ? No. Emphatically, no.

4 - Brian's backing band is The Brian Wilson Band, who contain the core members of Wondermints (no definitive article): the majority of Brian's band were never members of Wondermints.

PS: "DFTS" was released as by Alan, even on the charity 7".
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 06:32:12 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2012, 03:44:56 PM »

"Following Carl Wilson's death, the surviving members splintered. Mike Love and Bruce Johnston continued to tour as the Beach Boys Band, while Al Jardine toured regularly with his Endless Summer Band. Brian Wilson made a complete recovery from his mental illness and embarked on a successful solo career that saw him touring regularly with his backing band the Wondermints."

1 - Mike & Bruce initially toured as "America's Band", couldn't draw flies and went back to ask to be allowed to use the franchise name. This resulted in the current licensing arrangements, with all the grief that ensued.

2 - Alan only toured 'regularly' for maybe 18 months, initially as Beach Boys: Family & Friends. Cue more grief.

3 - Brian's 'recovered completely from his mental illness' ? No. Emphatically, no.

4 - Brian's backing band is The Brian Wilson Band, who contain the core members of Wondermints (no definitive article): the majority of Brian's band were never members of Wondermints.

What do you think of your wikipedia profile that is posted? Cool
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Grayham_Doe

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2012, 06:10:09 PM »

AGD has a wikipedia page?  Shocked

Fantastic  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2012, 12:36:23 AM »

I try not to.  Bit like reading my own obituary. Ahhh!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:40:18 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 27, 2012, 10:10:29 AM »

Well you probably wrote it so I guess you wrote your own obituary  LOL

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: November 27, 2012, 08:04:11 PM »

Actually according to the edit history quite a number of users have contributed to the page.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2012, 12:09:23 PM »

Could you post a badass picture of yourself from the 1970s?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2012, 12:32:34 PM »

God only knows why, but since you asked - best I can do is mid-80s:

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2012, 12:38:17 PM »

Cool picture Cool,I just meant by putting one up on the wiki page since you did a lot of the interviews in the late 1970s-early 1980s period.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2012, 12:51:16 PM »

OK, I've uploaded it to wiki... now how do i get it onto my page ?

edit - eh, never mind, worked it out myself.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 12:57:59 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2012, 12:56:32 PM »

Did you try the file upload wizard?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 28, 2012, 01:10:39 PM »

Looks great AGD. Thumbs Up

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2012, 06:17:29 PM »

Looks incredible, very cool.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2013, 12:31:09 PM »

*sigh* The wikipedia page lists M&B as the only BBs.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach_Boys

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2013, 01:52:29 PM »

*sigh* The wikipedia page lists M&B as the only BBs.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach_Boys

Just some madman kokomaoist on the loose..

There should be a seperate article for the M&B incarnation of the Beach Boys. And certainly the others are not 'past members' as they together define what the Beach Boys are.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2013, 12:27:02 AM »

Fixed it.  Smiley

SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2013, 04:07:24 AM »

Changed it back.

Embrace the truth.

Music, after all, is all about lifting mood.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2013, 04:51:51 AM »

Curse you, SIP Mike.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2013, 04:53:01 AM »

You are the madman kokomaoist Cabinessenceking was talking about!

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2013, 06:34:30 PM »

Curse you, SIP Mike.

LOL LOL LOL

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
bluesno1fann
« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2014, 01:47:55 AM »

Not exactly Wikipedia (Though I would LOVE to see the Smiley Smile Wiki completed), but I've been working a little bit on the Beach Boys pages on TV Tropes. Check it out, and perhaps contribute as well:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Music/TheBeachBoys?from=Main.TheBeachBoys

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/YMMV/TheBeachboys

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/AwesomeMusic/TheBeachBoys
SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2014, 03:13:56 AM »

Curse you, Love Surrounds Me, for I was going to write those tvtropes pages.

Your Dennis loving ways have been noted, and I shall have to work hard to undo the damage you have caused.

Music, after all, is all about lifting mood.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx