gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:59:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys + Wikipedia = Wrinkles  (Read 46123 times)
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 06, 2014, 10:21:51 PM »

just quoting in case others missed this post

As an introduction to the group it may well be a fantastic platform to get the ball rolling, but it simply cannot compete with Wikipedia's intricate network of related articles or the ~90k page views per month that the Beach Boys' main Wikipedia page generates. If you're looking to get the most bang for your buck, even a tiny correction on the Wikipedia article will be appreciated nearly a million times over the next year. If even a small amount of us went over to the site and made a tiny contribution, this vehicle which stands at the forefront of presenting the band to the next generation could make a more professional and convincing argument for why this band deserves to be taken seriously.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #176 on: June 06, 2014, 11:32:57 PM »

just quoting in case others missed this post

As an introduction to the group it may well be a fantastic platform to get the ball rolling, but it simply cannot compete with Wikipedia's intricate network of related articles or the ~90k page views per month that the Beach Boys' main Wikipedia page generates. If you're looking to get the most bang for your buck, even a tiny correction on the Wikipedia article will be appreciated nearly a million times over the next year. If even a small amount of us went over to the site and made a tiny contribution, this vehicle which stands at the forefront of presenting the band to the next generation could make a more professional and convincing argument for why this band deserves to be taken seriously.

I'd say both are quite good, and both need some work done to it
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: June 07, 2014, 02:11:01 AM »

Actually, it's a real mess. Example:

Glen Campbell - bass, guitar, keyboard, vocals (1964-1967) - he didn't play on any post Pet Sounds sessions, and only toured December 1964-April 1965, so the impression given by this entry is doubly misleading. There are other omissions - Ron Brown, Putter Smith, Luther Coffee spring to mind.

I thought Campbell appeared on Smiley Smile, he seems to be credited on the Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smiley_Smile

That's on the basis of his claim to have played on "four or five" "GV" sessions. Problem with that is, he didn't. Not listed on any of the AFMs, voice not heard on any known session tape. Didn't play on any Smile sessions either.

Plus Putter Smith was already added

Apologies - my bad.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bluesno1fann
« Reply #178 on: June 18, 2014, 04:05:32 AM »

Have added several additional tropes on the main page, though for the most part I've been working on other Music pages such as the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, The Yardbirds, The Kinks, Led Zeppelin, etc.

Oh, and I'd like to ask the Mods to move the entire TV Tropes discussion from here to it's own thread!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 18, 2014, 10:23:27 PM »

Oh, and I'd like to ask the Mods to move the entire TV Tropes discussion from here to it's own thread!
I don't recall mods doing sth. similar. Yes, this thread was originally about Wiki - so what? All these weeks TV Tropes discussion did no harm to be here.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #180 on: June 19, 2014, 12:36:40 AM »

I don't recall mods doing sth. similar. Yes, this thread was originally about Wiki - so what? All these weeks TV Tropes discussion did no harm to be here.

Yeah true. Though there seems to be little interest around here, especially anymore....
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 19, 2014, 09:49:16 PM »

Yeah true. Though there seems to be little interest around here, especially anymore....
Tbh, I don't get what is so bad about this TV Tropes site idea. Do you know by chance if Mr. Doe indeed corrected sth. there?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #182 on: June 19, 2014, 09:51:26 PM »

Tbh, I don't get what is so bad about this TV Tropes site idea. Do you know by chance if Mr. Doe indeed corrected sth. there?

I've checked and he hasn't. He most likely forgot, or couldn't be bothered signing up to edit.

But it's insanely easy to make an account. All you have to do is create a username, a password, and add your email address and you're done!
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/new_knower.php
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 19, 2014, 09:56:40 PM »

Well, he would've been a very useful helper.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #184 on: June 19, 2014, 09:57:47 PM »

Well, he would've been a very useful helper.

Hopefully he'd remember and choose to contribute!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 19, 2014, 11:36:34 PM »

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: June 19, 2014, 11:43:27 PM »

I've checked and he hasn't. He most likely forgot, or couldn't be bothered signing up to edit.

But it's insanely easy to make an account. All you have to do is create a username, a password, and add your email address and you're done!

Thanks for that, really appreciate it that you think I'm not a man of my word. So happens I've tried to sign up for an account and am still waiting for the activation email some two weeks later.

But if that's your general perception of me, then **** it, won't bother.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:54:45 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

bluesno1fann
« Reply #187 on: June 19, 2014, 11:55:03 PM »

Thanks for that, really appreciate it that you think I'm not a man of my word. So happens I've tried to sing up for an account  and am still waiting for the activation email some two weeks later.

I sincerely apologize, it isn't. I just assumed you and everyone simply forgot.
I don't think they send you an activation email, once you sign up, you can either use it or log in and use it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: June 20, 2014, 12:02:33 AM »

Thanks for that, really appreciate it that you think I'm not a man of my word. So happens I've tried to sing up for an account  and am still waiting for the activation email some two weeks later.

I don't think they send you an activation email, once you sign up, you can either use it or log in and use it.

I followed the instructions. Nothing happening. Can't log on, can't do anything. So, much as I detest having inaccurate BB info out there, can't be bothered.

Edit: OK, tried to create an account again, got this message:

"A confirmation letter has been sent to your address. Please follow the link in it to finish account creation.If you do not see the email fairly quickly, check your spam filter or junk file. If the address you used redirects from another address, you may not get the email."

So, no confirmation email, huh ?  Old Man
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:07:35 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

bluesno1fann
« Reply #189 on: June 20, 2014, 12:08:36 AM »

I followed the instructions. Nothing happening. Can't log on, can't do anything. So, much as I detest having inaccurate BB info out there, can't be bothered.

That's weird... I just made a second account and the activation mail was sent to me immediately... it could be that they might have sent it to the Spam folder if it didn't get to your main one. The name they used was no-reply
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: June 20, 2014, 12:18:41 AM »

That's weird... I just made a second account and the activation mail was sent to me immediately... it could be that they might have sent it to the Spam folder if it didn't get to your main one. The name they used was no-reply
[/quote]

That would be the activation email I've been told by someone else doesn't exist ?  Roll Eyes

bluesno1fann
« Reply #191 on: June 20, 2014, 12:28:20 AM »

That would be the activation email I've been told by someone else doesn't exist ?  Roll Eyes
[/quote]

lol My Mistake. I had made my TV Tropes account around a year ago, and I kinda forgot about the activation email
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: June 20, 2014, 05:28:40 AM »

OK, just did a rapid edit Don't expect anyone here will like it much. Such is life.  Grin

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 20, 2014, 06:22:16 AM »

Tbh, I don't get what is so bad about this TV Tropes site idea.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #194 on: June 23, 2014, 05:34:26 AM »

"facepalm" We Get It!

BTW, I cleaned up AGD's contributions a little and added the B-sides to Be True To Your School and The Beach Boys Medley
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 23, 2014, 09:43:11 PM »

Thanks for that, really appreciate it that you think I'm not a man of my word. So happens I've tried to sign up for an account and am still waiting for the activation email some two weeks later.

For once, can you shake off your arrogance & talk like a civil being? "He most likely forgot" wasn't said as any disrespect to you, just a simple conclusion after checking arouond that nothing new was corrected/added in the site since your off-day. Seriously, you need to be less grotesque when responding to someone's "offense" (not seldom made up in your mind).

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: June 24, 2014, 03:53:15 AM »

Read the whole post. Including the bit that comes after "or". English may not be your first language but I see you've mastered the art of selective cutting & pasting.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 24, 2014, 11:39:56 PM »

Read the whole post.
No worries, I read the whole back & forth, not just the post you're referring to. The bit after "or" doesn't sound any more rude than the 1st, it certainly didn't warrant to be followed by "If that's your general perception of me, then **** it, won't bother." English isn't my 1st language, right, but it's not like I'm reading Nietzsche, only mere dialog.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #198 on: June 25, 2014, 02:16:17 AM »

Read the whole post.
No worries, I read the whole back & forth, not just the post you're referring to. The bit after "or" doesn't sound any more rude than the 1st, it certainly didn't warrant to be followed by "If that's your general perception of me, then **** it, won't bother." English isn't my 1st language, right, but it's not like I'm reading Nietzsche, only mere dialog.

DW about it. I appreciate that you're sticking up for me, but it's not a big deal. Plus, AGD has a point
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 25, 2014, 11:05:40 PM »

Ok, but I still think it was silly of Mr. Doe to overreact for such a simple sentence.
Any other bands to edit except the listed, Rei?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx