gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:46:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ask the Moderators  (Read 113217 times)
Surfs Down
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 10:01:29 AM »

Makes sense. Thanks!
Jason
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 10:59:52 AM »

For the record, the mods and I have come to an agreement with regards to the rules on here. We're going to be watching the board a bit more carefully and we have a new policy in effect on bans. Each mod, at his own discretion, has the power to ban those who are clearly in violation of the rules.

First offense - Banned for 7 days
Second offense - Banned for 30 days (a month)
Third offense - Permanent ban and account deletion

In extreme cases, a first or second offense may be grounds for a permanent ban...again, at the discretion of the mod involved.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 11:54:01 AM »

To me, the various threads are pretty easy to navigate.  It seems relatively easy to find the threads that are of interest, and ignore those that aren’t.

Plus, being able to check in with the various “honored guests” such as Stephen Desper and Jon Stebbins et al from time to time, that’s what’s makes this a very COOL and KEY resource.

The insults and personal attacks are a little tiresome, but hey it’s Teh Internets and well, there you go …

SO
I'm just not seeing a lot that needs to be "fixed"....

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 07:26:47 PM »

Where are the sticky thread gone in the main section?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jason
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2013, 09:40:45 PM »

I unsticky'd them or moved them to the Welcome forum. They're still there; you just have to look.
Jason
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2013, 10:09:41 AM »

I've also created a new child forum for the General forum, called "Smiley Smile Reference Threads". As of now, the Vocal Credits and Smile Inventory threads are there. I will be checking out the forum for more possible threads to add. This will allow us to cut down on sticky threads and keep the board somewhat in order.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2013, 01:21:42 AM »

1. News, Rumors, and Future Releases: Reunion stuff, remaster stuff, box set stuff, press releases, television appearances etc

2. Music Discussion: Any discussion about past Beach Boys releases, compilations, singles, LPs whatever should go here. The "General Music Discussion" should be made a subforum of this forum

3. Smile Shop/Sandbox whatever: Any joke threads, photoshop threads, personal introductions, offtopic threads or media heavy posts should go here. We have a forum for pictures/youtube videos but it can be kind of dead, so I think you could round up a lot of this board's potpourri into a sandbox type subforum.
I've suggested this many times but nobody ever agrees for some weird reason. I think it's so stupid when The Smile Sessions board was created that discussions on the individual songs were confined into 16 separate threads. Why...? Isn't it bad enough that there are a hundred "what if Smile was released" threads every year on the General board? Actually, I'd love if the counterfactual threads could be moved to that third 'Smile Shop' idea.

There is a decade's worth of information stored in this forum that simply isn't available anywhere else, and sometimes the search function doesn't always work out. Please make things easier for people who are more interested in signal than noise.

And yeah, I know this board exists, but it's not what's being asked. Those child boards for the albums were executed improperly. People should be able to see a board for Smile discussion on the main page that they can make threads for. Same with Pet Sounds. These two album-oriented boards can co-exist with a "General Music Discussion" board that serves everything else from their discography.

One more main board that I'd like to see made especially is one for Beach Boy chords, sheet music, song compositions, scores, etc... That would be nice.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 01:23:08 AM by kappa » Logged
Surfs Down
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2013, 01:16:41 PM »

I agree on the chords/sheet music idea.  Although there is a very comprehensive tab site, surfermoon.com, it would be great to have a forum where we can work out more obscure items like harmonies, piano tabs, even chords for unreleased music.  I personally would love to know how to work out these songs on the guitar:  "Out in the Country", "Lonely Days", "Time to Live in Dreams", "Happy Birthday Freshman"

Paulos
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2013, 02:45:07 PM »

Mods, can we have an entry for 50 Sides Of The Beach Boys in the book reviews please?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2013, 03:05:40 PM »

I've also created a new child forum for the General forum, called "Smiley Smile Reference Threads". As of now, the Vocal Credits and Smile Inventory threads are there. I will be checking out the forum for more possible threads to add. This will allow us to cut down on sticky threads and keep the board somewhat in order.

As a suggestion, I feel that the Unreleased BB Songs should be included in that forum. It probably will need to be updated pretty soon, but it still has some great info.
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9734.msg169158.html#msg169158
Jason
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2013, 03:31:46 PM »

Done on both counts.
Paulos
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2013, 02:38:05 PM »

Done on both counts.

Thanks TRBB.
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2013, 10:25:59 AM »

'Tayoshe' is also 'Comic List' aka board owner Charles LePage. He owns the site, but the four of us actually run the board.

Jonas is still around, but I think he's been busy. I was for a long while, but I have a new job that has very flexible hours.

I'd like to let everyone know, the moderators here do a FANTASTIC job, and I greatly appreciate each and every one of them.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2013, 09:47:38 PM »

Thank you kindly Chuck...it is greatly appreciated!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2013, 12:41:12 PM »

For the record, the mods and I have come to an agreement with regards to the rules on here. We're going to be watching the board a bit more carefully and we have a new policy in effect on bans. Each mod, at his own discretion, has the power to ban those who are clearly in violation of the rules.

First offense - Banned for 7 days
Second offense - Banned for 30 days (a month)
Third offense - Permanent ban and account deletion

In extreme cases, a first or second offense may be grounds for a permanent ban...again, at the discretion of the mod involved.
Hello to all the Mods,  You are doing a great job, which I mentioned in my welcome page, but will add here as well.  Now the serious stuff:  I have stopped posting for now, due to harassment.  Most, but not all, welcome new posters.  So - three questions that I need to have clear understanding of...
1.  Is it okay to say anything in a PM, no matter how nasty and vicious?
2.  Is there some button that I am not seeing, to save a post that you have put a lot of time and energy into, without posting it out-right?  I did that the other day, and when I came back from my fact finding mission, I had to start over.
3.  Another "tech" question.  I think I now need to remove my e-mail addy.  How do I do that? 
   Maybe one more.  Jason, Would it be okay to add that quote, by Noam Chomsky, to my signature, so all reading my posts know that at least I have the right to free speech?  Of course within "clean" limits.         Thanks for your time,    Will

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Jason
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 12:56:46 PM »

Hello to all the Mods,  You are doing a great job, which I mentioned in my welcome page, but will add here as well.  Now the serious stuff:  I have stopped posting for now, due to harassment.  Most, but not all, welcome new posters.  So - three questions that I need to have clear understanding of...

1.  Is it okay to say anything in a PM, no matter how nasty and vicious?
2.  Is there some button that I am not seeing, to save a post that you have put a lot of time and energy into, without posting it out-right?  I did that the other day, and when I came back from my fact finding mission, I had to start over.
3.  Another "tech" question.  I think I now need to remove my e-mail addy.  How do I do that? 

Maybe one more.  Jason, Would it be okay to add that quote, by Noam Chomsky, to my signature, so all reading my posts know that at least I have the right to free speech?  Of course within "clean" limits.         Thanks for your time,    Will

First point...moderators have no say over what is said in PMs unless said PMs are posted publicly on the board. Posting PM content is a permanent ban. Second point, there isn't really a button to save posts; I'd recommend typing it in a word processor and saving it there before posting on the board. Third point, go to your profile, "Account Related Information", and uncheck "Hide Email Address From Public".

The Chomsky quote is public domain, so you can do what you will with it.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2013, 01:05:56 PM »

Hey Will, somebody really harassed you?  Who was it?  I'll go over there and beat 'em up for ya.  Unbelievable that somebody would give you a bad time here - you're a good contributor.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2013, 01:50:38 PM »

Hey Will, somebody really harassed you?  Who was it?  I'll go over there and beat 'em up for ya.  Unbelievable that somebody would give you a bad time here - you're a good contributor.
yup,   but Lips Sealed  Hi Mikie,  Thanks.   I'll have to deal with it as best I can, and move on.  I have been a Beach Boys fan for near the same 50 years they have been around.  I deserve to be on this board, even if I make a mistake now and then.  I could PM you to explain, but it is so obvious, as some of it has already been made public in posts.  Wish the whole thing had not gone even that far.  Is what it is as they say, can't get love from everybody in this world.  Just their personal opinion.  Thank You Jason for answering my inquiry so quickly.  Mikie, See you on the boards.  And, be careful in these woods... snarks, baiters and biters are everywhere you look.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 02:39:04 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
egon spengler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2013, 07:18:59 AM »

So, do any mods konw happened to my account? I haven't posted in a few weeks and went to log in the other day, and it said that no account exists with my user name.  Same thing happened when I click the link to my user name in topics that I started (it still does--check the musicians' forum and click my name next to the e-collab thread).  I re-registered with the same name, and it was available.  Any idea what that's all about?  And can I hook up my old posts/info to this new account?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2013, 09:19:33 AM »

I already wondered why you re-registered. I really don't have a clue what happened to your account. I just checked your username in that specific topic, and noticed that your "old" account is labelled "guest". Which means somehow your account doesn't exist anymore. But how that happened? No clue. It does unfortunately also mean that your personal info (Pm's etc) is lost, and we cant connect your posting history to your new account. Sorry.   Undecided

So, do any mods konw happened to my account? I haven't posted in a few weeks and went to log in the other day, and it said that no account exists with my user name.  Same thing happened when I click the link to my user name in topics that I started (it still does--check the musicians' forum and click my name next to the e-collab thread).  I re-registered with the same name, and it was available.  Any idea what that's all about?  And can I hook up my old posts/info to this new account?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 11:06:56 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
egon spengler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2013, 09:42:01 AM »

Hmph. Well, thanks anyway. No big deal in the scheme of things.

I already wondered why you re-registered. I really don't have a clue what happened to your account. I just checked your username in that specific gopic, and noticed that your "old" account is labelled "guest". Which means somehow your account doesn't exist anymore. But how that happened? No clue. It does unfortunately also mean that your personal info (Pm's etc) is lost, and we cant connect your posting history to your new account. Sorry.   Undecided

So, do any mods konw happened to my account? I haven't posted in a few weeks and went to log in the other day, and it said that no account exists with my user name.  Same thing happened when I click the link to my user name in topics that I started (it still does--check the musicians' forum and click my name next to the e-collab thread).  I re-registered with the same name, and it was available.  Any idea what that's all about?  And can I hook up my old posts/info to this new account?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2013, 09:58:28 AM »

Good to have you back Egon!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
egon spengler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2013, 12:57:32 PM »

Good to have you back Egon!

Thanks! I didn't know I had left!
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2013, 02:01:16 PM »

COMMENT:

Problem solved.

~swd
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 08:17:54 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2013, 02:20:51 AM »

I know I bitch a lot about certain mods, but compared with the mods/admins of a Facebook group I'm a member of, they're doing a sterling and irreproachable job here. Some dude just posted some utterly gross images that defined the term "scatological", hundreds complained. Result ? Nothing. No response. The troll is still trolling (I assume, because I blocked him). Truly, we've little if anything to complain about. But... yeah, we do.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx