gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:44:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ask the Moderators  (Read 112968 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 26, 2018, 09:02:50 AM »

It seems that after a few mods posted what I thought were pretty reasonable requests for acceptance and tolerance, the negative response (PREsponse) died down.

Hopefully everyone everywhere can get over themselves and their drama to just talk online about The Beach Boys, music, or whatever else is permissible on each board—and not obsess or bitch (whether initially justified or not)—about other boards and members.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: February 26, 2018, 09:05:46 AM »

Sounds great to me

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2018, 09:51:44 AM »

Solid advice indeed.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2018, 03:04:52 PM »

Posted in the psf thread in the sandbox. Hopefully that will continue the process Smiley

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2018, 03:42:13 PM »

Kudos on a great post. I support you fully.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: February 26, 2018, 03:45:34 PM »

Thank you...much appreciated

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 26, 2018, 03:54:32 PM »

Billy is a diplomat! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 04, 2018, 07:43:59 AM »

A poster over at the r/thebeachboys on reddit mentioned that they couldn't get approved here and have tried signing up twice. If you see the username fastballooninghead pop up, they seem to be a  decent poster. I lurked through their post history on reddit and didn't see any arguments or trolling.  Cheesy
leafy
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 04, 2018, 12:24:57 PM »

Hello, is there a mobile friendly way to access/read this site? Text doesn't wrap to the typical mobile width, so to read a whole line of text one has to be zoomed out that squinting doesn't even help. Any tips?
thanks
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: June 21, 2018, 07:37:52 AM »

COMMENT:

I hope this is the right place to ask for help.  If you can offer advice, please send instructions via the private message service.

Question:   How do I post a photo from Windows 10 - "photos"?  I have a few photos from my camera that have been put into files in the photo sections of MSWindows 10.  Is it possible to get them posted onto the Smileysmile message board? I know how to post photos from the Internet using the image web address button, but how do you post images from the Windows 10 photo section?  Someone suggested a third-party interface. Is there any other way to post -- more direct.

Thanks for your help.
  ~SWD
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: June 21, 2018, 09:24:36 AM »

COMMENT:

I hope this is the right place to ask for help.  If you can offer advice, please send instructions via the private message service.

Question:   How do I post a photo from Windows 10 - "photos"?  I have a few photos from my camera that have been put into files in the photo sections of MSWindows 10.  Is it possible to get them posted onto the Smileysmile message board? I know how to post photos from the Internet using the image web address button, but how do you post images from the Windows 10 photo section?  Someone suggested a third-party interface. Is there any other way to post -- more direct.

Thanks for your help.
 ~SWD

Hello Stephen, unfortunately there is no way to upload images directly from a user's computer files or hard drive onto the board. Some message board platforms do allow it, but the best way to do it in general is to get an online photo host site on which to upload and store your images.

I used to use Photobucket but they changed to a pay service with ridiculous monthly fees and restrictions on "hotlinking" image URL's to message boards or blogs. This is why many of my previous posts containing photos now have no photos.

I switched to and would recommend you try Imgur, here: https://imgur.com/

They are a free photo hosting site with an easy to use platform. Sign up, get the password, and you can start uploading any images from your computer's files or even direct from a phone or camera's storage. When you upload an image, you will see a menu that has a "direct link" option, which you can then copy and paste that URL here or elsewhere as you would with any other image found online. And you can set privacy settings and accessibility so your files being hosted can be protected.

Until or unless Imgur decides to start changing and charging crazy fees as other sites had done, I'd recommend giving them a try. They're the best hosting site I found, and have had no issues...plus, they allow remote direct linking which is what I think you're looking for.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:31:56 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2019, 11:10:35 AM »

As I mentioned in the Beach Boys general discussion channel, Fred Vail has said that crowdfunding to give him directly the much needed support to release the Fred Vail album commercially. I have agreed to kickstart things a little, and he was happy to hear that. Would one of the moderators here, who is reliable be willing to quite simply create a GoFundMe account (which is completely free, by the way) so that we could all start donating to it? We already have an anonymous donor who's willing to put in Ł250, and some more.

Ideally, it would be Billy, as he's cool. So I guess I should address you Billy directly -- are you happy to make this account quickly and share the link with us?  If not, I'll take it upon myself to raise after in the start of April.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 11:25:32 AM by PetSmile » Logged

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: March 02, 2020, 03:40:45 PM »

I think there’s some sort of server issue

“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 10, 2020, 07:04:24 AM »

Any reason when I access the site on my phone it tells me I’m banned but when I access the site on my computer everything works fine? I guess I’ll try to keep on the straight and narrow going forward just in case Smokin

Edit: I was able to clear my cookies/history on my phone and re-log in and everything’s fine again, so nevermind.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 07:20:02 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: July 10, 2020, 10:12:36 AM »

That’s odd

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: July 10, 2020, 01:33:03 PM »

There have been issues before with people who log in using their phones or mobile devices. I think most if not all eventually straighten out as described above, but some mobile carriers which use certain IP addresses could hit on an address which is banned from the board and that's why it shows up that way for the user. Best fix to try is the one listed above for now, clear all cache and cookies and try again. If someone can log in using a laptop or computer but can't on a mobile device with the same user info, the mobile device and IP seems to be the cause.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: January 09, 2021, 10:33:06 AM »

Several of my friends have recently posted on SmileySmile and within an hour their postings were taken down. All their posts had one thing in common, my name, Stephen W. Desper. 

Is there a problem associated with using my name for a discussion topic?  This is a "Beach Boy Discussion Board" is it not?  Are some topics off-limits? If so, what could possibly be so offensive about using my name, Desper in any Beach Boy discussion topic? 

Please advise.
~Stephen W. Desper
jeannethornton
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 04, 2021, 10:16:31 AM »

Hi, my name is Jeanne Thornton, and I'm the author of a novel called Summer Fun, recently out from Soho Press. The book is about a transgender woman living in New Mexico in the early 2000s who's writing obsessive fan letters to a reclusive musician named B--, leader of a fictional 1960s band from California called the Get Happies, who largely vanished from the public eye after failing to complete a masterpiece psychedelic album called "Summer Fun." As a very big fan of an ACTUAL California band from the 1960s that folks here have certainly heard of, I think there is some obvious relevance to this forum, and I suspect that people here might enjoy it.

But I also don't want to be weird in how I post about my book. Is there any guidance from moderators? I'm not sure what the policy is for things like this and where/if this might be okay to post.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide, and thank you for moderating a forum that I've enjoyed lurking for some time!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: September 04, 2021, 02:49:30 PM »

Hi, my name is Jeanne Thornton, and I'm the author of a novel called Summer Fun, recently out from Soho Press. The book is about a transgender woman living in New Mexico in the early 2000s who's writing obsessive fan letters to a reclusive musician named B--, leader of a fictional 1960s band from California called the Get Happies, who largely vanished from the public eye after failing to complete a masterpiece psychedelic album called "Summer Fun." As a very big fan of an ACTUAL California band from the 1960s that folks here have certainly heard of, I think there is some obvious relevance to this forum, and I suspect that people here might enjoy it.

But I also don't want to be weird in how I post about my book. Is there any guidance from moderators? I'm not sure what the policy is for things like this and where/if this might be okay to post.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide, and thank you for moderating a forum that I've enjoyed lurking for some time!

Hello Jeanne, and welcome! Since your book is inspired by the music and the musicians we all talk about here, I say go ahead and post about it on the "General On Topic Discussions" forum. And maybe it would be interesting to members here if you would like to mention any specific references to or from the Beach Boys' own story and how it may have inspired the plot or characters in your book. I think it sounds like a very interesting story and would definitely like to hear more! 

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 12, 2022, 08:20:50 PM »

Why are you guys so awesome? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx