gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:08:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wouldn't It Be Nice - A Darker Reinterpretation  (Read 6154 times)
UncleStalin
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2012, 10:09:07 AM »

After listening to Wouldn't It Be Nice, I have concluded through scientific evaluation that the song is clearly about death; please allow me to evaluate the song line by line.

'Wouldn't it be nice if we were older Then we wouldn't have to wait so long' This line is almost certainly about wanting to speed up life to a point where death is inevitable through old age and we can see a deep sense of resentment of life through the use of the words 'have to' stressing that life is forced upon us without a choice.

'And wouldn't it be nice to live together In the kind of world where we belong'  Anybody with sense can see that this is about longing for an afterlife free from the prejudices of the real world.

'You know its gonna make it that much better When we can say goodnight and stay together ' The 'Goodnight' is clearly a metaphor for suicide with the 'stay together' a reference to the aforementioned afterlife.

'Wouldn't it be nice if we could wake up, in the morning when the day is new and after having spent the day together, hold each other close the whole night through. Happy times together we've been spending, I wish that every kiss was never ending, wouldn't it be nice'  I have drawn 2 possible interpretations from this line (and would be interested to know which you agree with). One could see this line as a hope for love to be found in this world however this would be looking at it at face value. A deeper metaphorical meaning emerges when 'wake up' is interpreted as the day after death in which one spends eternity in the never-ending bliss of love.

'Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray it might come true, baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn’t do'  This is referencing the want of a death which isn't just an end and instead a gateway to the previously impossible or maybe even just a want for death itself after becoming apathetic to the real world?

'You know it seems the more we talk about it, it only makes it worse to live without it' An ironic use of the word 'live' given that he is using it in reference to living without death, clearly used for a comedic effect.

I hope having read my completely scientific analysis that you to will agree with this darker, more realistic interpretation of 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'; I can see no error in my logic and therefore believe that my analysis must be correct.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:15:56 AM »

First post hall of fame

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 10:22:07 AM »

Brian Wilson is more hardcore than Lou Reed or Alice Cooper. Afro

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 11:07:36 AM »

After listening to Wouldn't It Be Nice, I have concluded through scientific evaluation that the song is clearly about death; please allow me to evaluate the song line by line.

'Wouldn't it be nice if we were older Then we wouldn't have to wait so long' This line is almost certainly about wanting to speed up life to a point where death is inevitable through old age and we can see a deep sense of resentment of life through the use of the words 'have to' stressing that life is forced upon us without a choice.

'And wouldn't it be nice to live together In the kind of world where we belong'  Anybody with sense can see that this is about longing for an afterlife free from the prejudices of the real world.

'You know its gonna make it that much better When we can say goodnight and stay together ' The 'Goodnight' is clearly a metaphor for suicide with the 'stay together' a reference to the aforementioned afterlife.

'Wouldn't it be nice if we could wake up, in the morning when the day is new and after having spent the day together, hold each other close the whole night through. Happy times together we've been spending, I wish that every kiss was never ending, wouldn't it be nice'  I have drawn 2 possible interpretations from this line (and would be interested to know which you agree with). One could see this line as a hope for love to be found in this world however this would be looking at it at face value. A deeper metaphorical meaning emerges when 'wake up' is interpreted as the day after death in which one spends eternity in the never-ending bliss of love.

'Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray it might come true, baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn’t do'  This is referencing the want of a death which isn't just an end and instead a gateway to the previously impossible or maybe even just a want for death itself after becoming apathetic to the real world?

'You know it seems the more we talk about it, it only makes it worse to live without it' An ironic use of the word 'live' given that he is using it in reference to living without death, clearly used for a comedic effect.

I hope having read my completely scientific analysis that you to will agree with this darker, more realistic interpretation of 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'; I can see no error in my logic and therefore believe that my analysis must be correct.

Love it. Have you tried applying your exhaustive scientific analysis to the Breakaway lyrics? I think you may be on to something ....

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 11:08:14 AM »

I was kinda hoping I'd click this and there would be John Cale covering it or something. Sob.

There IS a version of "God Only Knows" he did somewhere in the mid 70s. I'd love to hear that one day.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:10:32 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
mr_oleary
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 02:10:19 PM »

The problem I see with this theory is that the tone of the lyrics of BW songs usually matches the instrumentation.  I think that song is more about the pure joy of being young.  Just don't see this morbid interpretation.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 02:17:45 PM »

that song is more about the pure joy of being young.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 11:00:49 PM »

I think Wouldn't It Be Nice is dark in the sense that it is longing for something that will likely not occur. You get into a heavy relationship as a teenager and you think and wish and hope and pray it will last forever but odds are it's doomed to end in failure.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 11:56:59 AM »

My one problem with this song is that if Brian wanted death oh-so badly, he probably would have spread these hints throughout the album - it's not like when he's (or should I say Carl) saying 'God only knows what I'd be without you' he's contemplating killing his lover or anything...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 12:02:18 PM »

My one problem with this song is that if Brian wanted death oh-so badly, he probably would have spread these hints throughout the album - it's not like when he's (or should I say Carl) saying 'God only knows what I'd be without you' he's contemplating killing his lover or anything...

Yeah, but GOK always struck me as a suicidal "threat." The emotions do seem a little darker than, say, In My Life or any other comparable love song. That's why I chose Forever to serve as my wedding march instead of GOK.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 12:39:50 PM »

Interesting 2012  take the on WIBN.  When it was written, young people (men) could be drafted for war (Vietnam) and could not vote.  Most could not buy a beer.  Having privileges commensurate with responsibilities was a huge issue and a source of protest, particular the "18 by '72 (1972)" voter registration protests.  Young men drafted and dying in Nam without ever voting for the Commander in Chief.

The whole "waiting" thing seems to be endless.  I'm not sure that in the mid 1960's that this was in mind at all.  It may just be face value and a concept that was pretty universally understood. Boomers get that culture of "waiting and courtship."   Wink

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 12:49:28 PM »

This is actually a great concept, Pet Sounds does show a Brian having a dark undercurrent that he would act out in the following years.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 12:50:32 PM »

Yeah, but GOK always struck me as a suicidal "threat." The emotions do seem a little darker than, say, In My Life or any other comparable love song. That's why I chose Forever to serve as my wedding march instead of GOK.

This is true - it's almost as if in GOK it's a case of 'Leave me and I'll kill myself!', almost hinting that his lover does not really love him...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 11:16:42 PM »

"God Only Knows" - A song about blowing your f***ing head off, man.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 08:42:49 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
MBE
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 12:32:56 AM »

The problem I see with this theory is that the tone of the lyrics of BW songs usually matches the instrumentation.  I think that song is more about the pure joy of being young.  Just don't see this morbid interpretation.
+!
There's a bit of sadness in Brian's early songs as far as they note that youth doesn't last forever. However this is the song that I feel marks Brian's acceptance of that, a new maturity though written from a younger perspective.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 12:33:56 AM »

It's a longing, a longing for something that will never occur. Sometimes I cry when I listen to it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 01:04:33 AM »

It's a longing, a longing for something that will never occur. Sometimes I cry when I listen to it.

Grand prize.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 02:19:25 AM »

Isn't that what give Pet Sounds a lot of it's power? That Brian and Tony Asher wrote a bunch of inward looking songs at a time when the guy was on top of the world only to have his world fall apart throughout the subsequent years. It's revisionist I know, but to hear a 24 year old Brian sing of longing, uncertainly, not fitting in and bemoaning that things in life have to change sounds eerily prophetic.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 11:11:53 PM »

That's Not Me is about gender reassignment surgery.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 01:37:50 PM »

That's Not Me is about gender reassignment surgery.

ye what kinda selfrespecting trans would stay in the country? they pack up and split for the city!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 02:21:31 PM »

Don't Talk 9Put Your Head On My Shoulder) is about a man who decapitated his girl friend so she could no longer speak, then Stuck her head on his shoulder. Forever...

Or maybe not

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 03:56:58 PM »

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:29:35 AM by Sam_BFC » Logged

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 04:07:51 PM »

Let's Go Away For A While is about the time Brian and Carol Mountain drove their car to the sea in a passionate teen-romance suicide pact. Luckily the hot dogs and root beer they consumed just beforehand convinced them it was too dangerous to enter the water for at least 45 minutes afterward, and they forgot all about it.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx