gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680846 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 01:38:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BW & Band: private show @ House of Blues, Dallas (October 12th 2012)  (Read 34469 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 04:52:04 PM »

Let me get in here before this thread morphis into another "Why Mike Love shouldn't tour as 'The Beach Boys' thread Part 25"

Brian is back doing his solo shows, and he's back as the front man carrying the whole show.  I wonder how this first show will be?   Brian is a pro and I'm sure will pull through but I'd bet he really enjoyed himself as a Beach Boy considering his role was slghtly more restrained in that arrangement.  Mike Love took most of the leads and Brian came in here and there for leads but mainly sang background and played piano whenever he felt like it.  He really can't slide by that easily as a solo performer.  

Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 04:53:31 PM »

BRAVO Brian. I'd like to think that this is Brian's way (his camp's way) of giving the finger to the Mike Love phoney baloney road show. No love and mercy from me, jack. I like gettin' even.

And to echo other comments on this thread, it's not the same as touring as 'da Beach Boys'. Not at all. No matter what lawyers draw up on hotel napkins. Screw Mike, Bruce and Stamos. Rock over London, Rock on Dallas, Brian Wilson...he jus' wasn't made for these times.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 04:55:31 PM »

Why would you think the show *wasn't* booked months in advance?

Ya know?!

One thing seems interesting...I guess Brian really is starting to enjoy performing more than he used to...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 05:00:53 PM »

Whew, it's a good thing Mike didn't comply with Brian's wish and call him to join The Beach Boys on stage tonight....
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 05:33:21 PM »

There's nothing wrong with what Brian is doing in resuming his solo career. He's been doing that for years and Mike has been doing his thing for years, with Brian's full permission via Brian's vote in BRI.  It's going to be okayAfro
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 05:37:41 PM »

Back to the awful status quo of 1998-2011 right now. Brian really came into his own when he didn't have to be frontman. Mike and Bruce are a disgrace to keep using the BBs name when the rest of the group wants to stay together.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 05:42:12 PM »

One of the interviews Dave talked about an eye infection caused by a bug bite while playing with 'his group' in between C50 gigs.

Al's site has had a 'booking' link forever, including all C50 tour.

Brian playing a private gig, booked who knows when and 'working in the studio' during the C50.

Mike and Bruce, enough already!

The point is they all had other irons in the fire all C50. None of them had any intention of becoming full time Beach Boys post the grammy show. It's all a 'bunch of stuff!' to borrow a line.

Jesus....enough already! Enjoy the glow of this year and if there's more in the future lets discuss it then. Before then attend what ever shows you want but I'm over this nit picking and the 'use of the Beach Boys name' round-a-bout..
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 06:04:10 PM »

Brian is not performing as, nor claiming to be, the Beach Boys.

However, Mike and Bruce are doing so. After this summer, one of those situations is intolerable.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 06:10:22 PM »

Got that right, I can't stand the M&B show using the BBs name anymore. They have been leaching off the legacy for 14 years.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 06:12:28 PM »

Whew, it's a good thing Mike didn't comply with Brian's wish and call him to join The Beach Boys on stage tonight....

Um, yeah, I guess Brian should stay home forever just to prove that Mike broke up the reunion.  Huh

Also, I don't think Brian's idea of keeping the reunion going was ever simply jumping on stage with Mike's band. That's one of the reasons the reunion shows were so amazing, it was the entire band blowing us away night after night.

It's completely false logic to use a solo Brian gig to, what, prove Brian has made the whole thing up and never wanted the reunion to continue?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 06:15:41 PM »

You Boys will have to get over it because who or what is the Beach Boys ain't our call.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 06:17:04 PM »

There's nothing wrong with what Brian is doing in resuming his solo career. He's been doing that for years and Mike has been doing his thing for years, with Brian's full permission via Brian's vote in BRI.  It's going to be okayAfro

Nobody as far as I can tell has ever claimed Brian didn't give permission to Mike to use the BB name. The objection is to Mike putting the brakes on more reunion gigs.

Everything will indeed be okay, we as fans will all obviously survive whatever ends up happening with this debacle. But if no more reunion gigs happen, it won't negate the fact that that is a bummer.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2012, 06:20:06 PM »

You Boys will have to get over it because who or what is the Beach Boys ain't our call.

Nobody ever said it was "our" call.  Huh

Pointing out the irony or whatever one wants to point out of Mike using the name is not the same as "not getting over it."

It is funny, though, that, as I've mentioned before, Mike has taken some BB fans on an interesting rollercoaster. Some fans intensely disagreed with him using the name after 1998, but then by 2011 many had accepted it or tolerated it or learned to block it out, etc. Then Mike amazingly got himself in the good graces of a lot crusty, curmugeonly, cynical BB fans doing this tour..... and now it's all undone. It really is fascinating, and I don't even mean that in a sarcastic or hyperbolic way.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2012, 06:23:59 PM »

Exactly. This subject is gettin' old. Time to make up some other worthwhile topics to discuss.

Brian does a one-off and we're back regurgitating that Mike & Bruce fake Beach Boys bullshit again. You don't like it? Boycott the Mike & Bruce shows. Nuttin' you can do about it but hope for another reunion next year. Which I don't see happening, but never say never.

Get over it, people!  Move on!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2012, 06:28:24 PM »

The objection is to Mike putting the brakes on more reunion gigs.

It has NEVER been a reunion! Everybody else has called it that. It has been billed from day one as a 'Celebration'.

No reunion, no putting the breaks on it. The Celebration had a start date and an end date which all, including Mike, took the breaks off, and extended.

Its simple really and has been explained so many times over countless pages on a dozen threads even a tool like me can understand it!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2012, 06:34:08 PM »

There's nothing wrong with what Brian is doing in resuming his solo career. He's been doing that for years and Mike has been doing his thing for years, with Brian's full permission via Brian's vote in BRI.  It's going to be okay.  Afro

It has NEVER been a reunion! Everybody else has called it that. It has been billed from day one as a 'Celebration'.

No reunion, no putting the breaks on it. The Celebration had a start date and an end date which all, including Mike, took the breaks off, and extended.

Its simple really and has been explained so many times over countless pages on a dozen threads even a tool like me can understand it!

Well, first of all I usually use the term "reunion" to easily reference the pre-October lineup. Gee, why can't we just call the band that toured this summer "The Beach Boys" when discussing all of this? Oh yeah, that's because Mike uses the name for an alternate lineup......

More to the point, this is actually the first I've heard of this new tact in this debate of simply redefining what a "reunion" is, thus creating the illusion that all of a sudden, no reunion ever took place! That is a creative way of doing it.

The band has said in interviews they were "reuniting. " I suppose the actual tour program didn't state "Beach Boys Reunion", but to simply redefine this as clearly a "celebration" rather than a "reunion" is ridiculous. Under that reasoning, anybody on any stage could be "celebrating" the Beach Boys.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2012, 07:02:07 PM »

Under that reasoning, anybody on any stage could be "celebrating" the Beach Boys.

I think that is right, anyone can be the Beach Boys as long as they are under license by BRI.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2012, 07:07:18 PM »

Well, first of all I usually use the term "reunion" to easily reference the pre-October lineup. Gee, why can't we just call the band that toured this summer "The Beach Boys" when discussing all of this? Oh yeah, that's because Mike uses the name for an alternate lineup......

More to the point, this is actually the first I've heard of this new tact in this debate of simply redefining what a "reunion" is, thus creating the illusion that all of a sudden, no reunion ever took place! That is a creative way of doing it.

The band has said in interviews they were "reuniting. " I suppose the actual tour program didn't state "Beach Boys Reunion", but to simply redefine this as clearly a "celebration" rather than a "reunion" is ridiculous. Under that reasoning, anybody on any stage could be "celebrating" the Beach Boys.

This year Mike has delivered on everything I suspect he signed up for. Album, interviews, TV performances and 50 celebration/ reunion concerts.

He then agrees to another 20 plus over 2 months or so spread over 2 hemispheres.

Take a look back over any of my posts over the years. I've put down Mike just as much as the rest of us here. I'm no Mikeanista if there is such a thing but he did not end this thing in 2012. If anyone here thought the C50 group was going to turn up to the charity event immediately after London then fly on to Waco or wherever the next show was you are fooling yourselves. For Brian and Al to imply they thought things were going to continue, I'm assuming over the following few months, was utter nonsense.

Mike is quoted that he can not fire Brian from the Beach Boys. I take that as an invitation for him to sit in with Mike and Bruce when ever he feels like it. I've found tour dates listed up to April next year so he can take his pick.

Of course its silly and not going to happen but can we all get over this idea that someone has called a halt to the C50?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2012, 07:07:29 PM »

Wonder how long of a show this will be (given it is a charity event), and what the set list will be like. If it's a fairly long show, I wouldn't be surprised to see Summer's Gone in the line up.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2012, 07:20:57 PM »

It will be interesting to see in reviews or blogpists about the show whether Brian says anything pertaining to the sitcheeashun.  One expects M&B to just walk out and do their stuff as if the last nine months hadn't happened. But with Brian....
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2012, 07:22:36 PM »

Under that reasoning, anybody on any stage could be "celebrating" the Beach Boys.

I think that is right, anyone can be the Beach Boys as long as they are under license by BRI.

Wait... My buddies and I can be "The Beach Boys" as long as I abide by the BRI license?! What wonderful news!

My God, we can all be The Beach Boys. What a relief. See guys? It doesn't matter how long you've been with the band, or what songs you've written or even if you founded the band! Anyone can do it, as long as you honor some contract.

The legacy is safe.
Nicko1234
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2012, 07:27:19 PM »

Whether you call it a reunion or a celebration (it was both) doesn`t change anything. It was done for the 50th anniversary and everybody knew it would be finite.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2012, 07:29:18 PM »

Wait... My buddies and I can be "The Beach Boys" as long as I abide by the BRI license?! What wonderful news!

My God, we can all be The Beach Boys. What a relief. See guys? It doesn't matter how long you've been with the band, or what songs you've written or even if you founded the band! Anyone can do it, as long as you honor some contract.

The legacy is safe.

Apparently. Knock yourself.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2012, 07:29:35 PM »

The legacy is safe.
The license belongs to the Mike & Bruce team, so no.

Based off of a hunch, I expect just a 'hits' show tonight.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2012, 07:32:47 PM »

Exactly. This subject is gettin' old. Time to make up some other worthwhile topics to discuss.

Brian does a one-off and we're back regurgitating that Mike & Bruce fake Beach Boys bullsh*t again. You don't like it? Boycott the Mike & Bruce shows. Nuttin' you can do about it but hope for another reunion next year. Which I don't see happening, but never say never.

Get over it, people!  Move on!

Oh I dunno....HeyJude has just entered the discussion.  That's another 20 more pages we can expect to be added to this thread!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx