gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:01:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which Do You Prefer?
Keepin' The Summer Alive - 57 (50%)
The Beach Boys - 57 (50%)
Total Voters: 106

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #11: Keepin' The Summer Alive vs. The Beach Boys (85)  (Read 32219 times)
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 07:27:21 AM »

bb '85 --love "it's getting late"

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 07:35:03 AM »

A little off-topic but I hate those damn music videos for the '85 album.  Except for the ending of the "It's Getting Late" video when Brian walks down the beach listening to "California Calling" through a seashell, I love that.  But otherwise, I don't know whose idea it was that the very first Beach Boys music videos (for the MTV era I mean, I know they made promotional films before) should focus on not the Beach Boys, but the romance of some nerdy dude who gets into hilarious hijinks!  Just, no.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 09:22:53 AM »

Just a quick question, out of interest: are the people voting for BB85 folks who grew up in the 80's?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 09:26:07 AM »

i only wish that was true for me    Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 09:34:14 AM »

BB85 is one amazing song from Carl and a bunch of horrid half ass Brian/Landy songs and Culture Club rejects, smothered in bad 80's production.

KTSA is much better (by comparison). Two good songs from Carl, Goin' On (the last great Wilson/Love tune) and my personal highlight - Santa Anna Winds. Bruce's effort is ok too. The rest however, is pretty bad.

KTSA - 2.5.
BB85 - 1 (for Where I Belong).

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 09:35:42 AM »

Just a quick question, out of interest: are the people voting for BB85 folks who grew up in the 80's?

Grew up in the nineties!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 09:40:01 AM »

I had written a thread here asking about similar music to this album, checked out some suggestions, and I found out for myself that I only like The Beach Boys doing 80s pop, but no other music I heard hit me the same way.

I don't like hearing this! I am biased, and I admit I do have that nostalgic trigger built in whenever I hear songs from the early-to-mid 80's because it triggers other memories that went with the actual song. But there are and were some really, really good songs happening at that time, and I am being honest when I say if the thought is that the Beach Boys doing 80's pop is setting a standard for the enjoyment of that era's music, there are too many songs that perhaps you have not heard to make that kind of judgement. I'm not being critical, but I think something is still missing and maybe hearing more of what the Beach Boys were trying to latch onto would affect that opinion.

I will say this much, from personal experiences: The way music was being delivered from 81-86 was as exciting and as vital to pop culture as perhaps it had ever been since the glory days of AM top 40 radio in the 60's and in which it will probably ever be in the current download-centric culture. MTV was new and exciting, but basically they were doing what Top 40 radio was doing only with pictures and a VJ rather than DJ. It was based on radio programming. Radio in some markets like mine in Philly was exciting, diverse, and the singles were at times terrific. There were dance programs on after school just like Bandstand had done in the 50's where you'd come home from school and be able to hear and see what was going on, then listen to the radio at night, then go to your local store on weekends to buy the singles you had heard that week. And then, find Solid Gold, Bandstand, etc in syndication on weekends to get even more of your top 40 fix.

I loved it, looking back I probably remember it as better than it actually was, but what the hell, I'm in good company with all the folks who swear they saw Hendrix play at Woodstock, right?

There is some terrific 80's pop music out there, and the whole scene was perhaps as close to the way AM-radio fueled pop culture existed in the 60's, with the same energy too. I swear by that, and will give examples any time someone would start slagging off on that era.

Things got bad, sometimes really bad, around 1987 and the whole scene was gone, including radio's impact on the music.

But I think the Beach Boys '85 may be enjoyable, but it was jumping on a bandwagon which was already part of a lot of kids' daily lives, and I can't see it as more than that no matter how good some of the songs were.

I love 80's music, up to a certain point when it all changed.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 09:47:16 AM »

What are some examples of music you like from that era?
I'll admit to liking Madonna, Prince, Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Rick James, all the early hip-hop of that era, there may be one or two others. The other stuff I like from that era is mainly on indie labels (SST, Twin-Tone etc.) or mainstream for other countries (Smiths, Echo etc.).
I mean, do you like that Ghostbusters song, for example?

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 10:01:09 AM »

I like singles, not much of an album person although the Duran Duran albums were on my Christmas lists each year from Rio to Seven... to Arena, then it stopped.

It would take me a long time to list them, and I'll probably leave out key examples, too. But certain songs still hold up with all the great pop singles through the decades, songs like "Come On Eileen", "White Lines", "Beat It", "Steppin Out", "Our House", "Rio", "True", "Church Of The Poison Mind", "Overkill", "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" (one of the finest lead vocal performances of the 80's, IMO), "Everybody Wants To Rule The World", of course Prince, etc. Even a one off hit like "Pass The Dutchie" or "Electric Avenue" or "Apache" or "Double Dutch Bus" can sound great in the car! Those are just a few of the key singles out of dozens I could list.  Go through Billboards top singles, from 81-85 or so, and there are some really good singles that have a lot of musical highlights and are as good in context as similar pop-driven scenes from previous decades.

Again, I'm talking only of top 40 singles, a *very* small sample listed above, and obviously there was a lot of very influential music which was happening far removed from that.

Edit: Ghostbusters theme, never liked that one even back then. I liked it better when Huey Lewis first released it as "I Want A New Drug"... Cheesy

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 10:03:17 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 10:13:49 AM »

KTSA, easily. I hate the 80s production of BB85, and KTSA has better songs. The title track, Some Of Your Love, Livin' With A Heartache, Goin' On, When Girls Get Together, Santa Ana Winds and Endless Harmony are all somewhat decent songs. But apart from Getcha Back, California Calling and Where I Belong, all of BB85 can dissapear out of excistence for all I care.

Last time I listened to KTSA (although that's quite a while ago), I was surprised how much of it actually sounded not so bad. But BB85... Almost as bad as SIP, if you ask me.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 10:15:58 AM by shelter » Logged
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 10:19:16 AM »

Voted for BB '85. I find it easy to listen to in comparison to KTSA, which to me is merely average (not to say I don't like it).
BB '85 was produced well, even if it is very 80's ish sounding. Carl's voice on it is outstanding. Favorite songs are It's Getting Late, Passing Friend - really overlooked solid efforts. I find Getcha Back and California Calling "catchy" tunes meant for commercial appeal. All in all a very consistent album.
KTSA is less consistent in both song offerings and production. Living With a Heartache, Goin'On and Some Of Your Love are good ones IMO.

BTW, I was well into my adulthood in the '80's (doesn't mean I was "grown up"!), and didn't (and don't) particularly care for much of the music from then (don't mean to offend anyone!). But, statrting with the Endless Summer release, I was able to but BB albums as they were released (anything before that I purchased in retrospect), so there's a bit of a soft spot for any of the releases from 15 Big Ones and forward for the memories they bring (some good, some less than stellar) when first listening to them when purchased. The feeling was "hey, its a new BB release!!!"Some of the songs lived up to expectations of what the group could do, some not so, but it was new material and gave the hope that they'd keep going on - which they have!
Nicko1234
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 10:24:08 AM »

No. The production of BB85 is awful and has dated terribly but the production of KTSA is dire as well no question about that. One of the great pities about the BBs is that when they decided to bring outside producers they decided on Bruce, Steve Levine, Terry Melcher and Joe Thomas. All crap.

The song Sunshine sums up the problems with the band at that time in a way. Bruce has spoken about the lengths they went to to take what Brian had done then cut it and loop it etc. What he hasn`t said is why? They could have hired the best studio musicians in the world if they`d wanted to but they didn`t have the confidence to record a simple song like that in a conventional way. Also can`t believe they kept the group vocals on Santa Ana winds from the demo as they are awful.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2012, 11:25:17 AM »

I can't get past the production of 85 and as much as I like some of the singing (especially Carl and Al), there's an emptiness to some of the songs. I don't particularly like KTSA (apart from Santa Ana Winds and Goin' On, despite both being a little overproduced), but I prefer it to 85.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2012, 11:34:52 AM »

I like singles, not much of an album person although the Duran Duran albums were on my Christmas lists each year from Rio to Seven... to Arena, then it stopped.

It would take me a long time to list them, and I'll probably leave out key examples, too. But certain songs still hold up with all the great pop singles through the decades, songs like "Come On Eileen", "White Lines", "Beat It", "Steppin Out", "Our House", "Rio", "True", "Church Of The Poison Mind", "Overkill", "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" (one of the finest lead vocal performances of the 80's, IMO), "Everybody Wants To Rule The World", of course Prince, etc. Even a one off hit like "Pass The Dutchie" or "Electric Avenue" or "Apache" or "Double Dutch Bus" can sound great in the car! Those are just a few of the key singles out of dozens I could list.  Go through Billboards top singles, from 81-85 or so, and there are some really good singles that have a lot of musical highlights and are as good in context as similar pop-driven scenes from previous decades.

Again, I'm talking only of top 40 singles, a *very* small sample listed above, and obviously there was a lot of very influential music which was happening far removed from that.

Edit: Ghostbusters theme, never liked that one even back then. I liked it better when Huey Lewis first released it as "I Want A New Drug"... Cheesy

Cool post. I like most of the songs you mentioned, so maybe I agree with your viewpoint more than I thought I would.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2012, 12:18:06 PM »

Born 1991.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2012, 11:52:40 PM »

I was born in the mid '80's though i completely fail to see how that should affect what i think about BB '85. I only heard it for the first time about three years ago. Otherwise generally not a big fan of '80's music (except for the Smiths, Erasure, and Depeche Mode).

And i completely agree with the posters who said that if It's Gettin' Late was a Prince song everyone would be banging on about what a work of genius it is, likewise Where I Belong if Brian had wrote it.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2012, 12:05:10 AM »

I go for BB85, more consistant overall than KTSA, although the latter has one of my favorite Carl songs - Livin' With a Heartache - and I also love the title song and Goin' On. Getcha Back is one I probably like more now than when it was a hit, and It's Gettin' Late and Where I Belong are highlights. I'm surprised no one's mentioned I'm So Lonely - to my years, the most "Brian" sounding track on the album (unless you count the cd only Male Ego). Almost a preview of his solo album.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2012, 06:14:55 AM »

KTSA for me.

Hate just about everything having to do '85 -- save for a couple of tracks. And the synthetic production almost sinks those two. Damn that Fairlight. Grade: D+.

KTSA, for all its abundant faults, and as some others have noted, still feels like a Beach Boys record. Albeit not a very good one. The backing vocal production suffers from plenty of Johnston-itis in places, and there's a few moments where Mike's about as nasal as he's ever been, but at least there's a good sampling of Carl and Al leads to offset all that for me. Production and song-wise, the whole thing just sounds like a slightly crappier version of LA, IMHO, particularly without the Dennis input. (those records are my actual imaginary "twofer"). Good to see Carl's worst days behind him, too. Grade: C   (C- if I stare at that album cover too long).

Favorite tracks:
Santa Ana Winds
Livin' With A Heartache
KTSA (though I actually think they did this one much better live)
maybe......School Day (another one I think I preferred live)
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2012, 06:51:48 AM »

Is there actually a harder hitting KTSA in the vaults or is Carl only quoted as saying it should have been harder hitting?

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2012, 08:18:48 AM »

Is there actually a harder hitting KTSA in the vaults or is Carl only quoted as saying it should have been harder hitting?
I think Randy Bachman said that. I'd love to hear it if does exist. Like many of the faster, newer songs, many sounded better live than what was put to tape. I think some of that has to be production technique.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2012, 12:06:52 PM »

Randy Bachman's band Union did a version of it, it's a little "harder" but more lifeless. and it sounds even more like Takin' Care of Business.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2012, 03:33:48 PM »

Randy Bachman's band Union did a version of it, it's a little "harder" but more lifeless. and it sounds even more like Takin' Care of Business.

Tracked in down in a couple of places online a few months ago. Agree with Aegir's assessment.
http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Keep+The+Summer+Alive/3CBiGa?src=5
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2012, 03:36:31 PM »

Love the drums on the BB's KTSA, by the way. And Randy Bachmann's explanation makes the "ice cream weather" line a bit more forgiveable. The "bow, bow, bows" and "sum-sum-sums" get a bit annoying, but I still like the track way better than anything on '85.
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2012, 04:47:48 AM »

BB85!

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2012, 04:55:24 AM »

I could've sworn everyone hated BB'85. this is definitely the most interesting poll, just for that reason.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx