gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:33:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight/BW88 discussion...  (Read 22102 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2012, 09:32:03 AM »

Any one else here absolutely adore this song? It's a perfect pop gem. I think it had hit potential in '88 or '89 if it would have been promoted heavily as a single. I was listening last night and there are several similarities to Wouldn't It Be Nice - the stop/start pattern, the lyrical theme (not actually being together), and then there's the good-night baby reference to cap it all off!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 07:51:59 PM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 09:33:34 AM »

I love this song. I thought it would have been a great song to resurrect for his solo tours.

Egohanger, now I wanna cover it for the collab project....  Grin
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:37:10 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 09:36:40 AM »

A great Andy Paley song.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 09:39:36 AM »

I love this song. I thought it would have been a great song to resurrect for his solo tours.

Egohanger, now I wanna cover it for the collab project....  Grin

Hell yes!

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 10:14:07 AM »

I like the faster alternate version better.  Surprised it didn't show up as a boner track on the Rhino re-issue.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »

I've always been a HUGE BW88 Supporter.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 10:20:10 AM »

I like the faster alternate version better.  Surprised it didn't show up as a boner track on the Rhino re-issue.

Never heard that one!

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 11:00:31 AM »

I'm sorry.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 11:03:01 AM »

I'm sorry.

Haha! You should just let it be known where one can aquire such things.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 11:09:58 AM »

I've always been a HUGE BW88 Supporter.

Same here.  That's just a song I can't help but smile when I listen to it.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 11:11:03 AM »

I'm sorry.

Haha! You should just let it be known where one can aquire such things.

I'll see what I can do for you tonight.  I have to work first......

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 12:24:55 PM »

Cool song with a great production. This wall-of-sound approach fits good with the 80s instrumentation. But imo so does much of the album

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 05:30:38 PM »

Always been one of my favorites on BW88, great hook and I love the middle eight.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 05:33:48 PM »

Not just an underrated song, a hugely underrated album

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 07:01:58 PM »

Not just an underrated song, a hugely underrated album

<3

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 07:16:18 PM »

I can see the production turning people off. Songwriting wise, that album is up there with the best he's ever done (solo).

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 07:25:42 PM »

Brian's vocal is harsh on that track and most of that album.  He had not learned how to use his different voice at that point.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 07:36:50 PM »

I can see the production turning people off. Songwriting wise, that album is up there with the best he's ever done (solo).

Agreed. Though I'd even say it's some of his best songwriting period. The production is a bit iffy (it used to keep me away from listening) - but just like with Love You, it really really grows on you, and then you can't get enough of it.

"The river's deep and the river's so wide, she's waiting for me on the other side" - that part of Rio Grande is one of my favorite BW riffs.

Ps, thanks for the thread - got me listening to this album!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 07:53:02 PM »

You're welcome - I wanted to talk about it, too. I found a sealed copy of this album for $8 at a record show last weekend, cracked the seal and played it a couple times. Sounds great on vinyl, especially "Meet Me....".

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 07:54:12 PM »

Brian's vocal is harsh on that track and most of that album.  He had not learned how to use his different voice at that point.

I think his voice sounds better on this album than it does on Sweet Insanity, Orange Crate Art, IJWMFTT, and Gettin' In Over My Head.

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 08:13:18 PM »

I think his voice sounds better on this album than it does on Sweet Insanity, Orange Crate Art, IJWMFTT, and Gettin' In Over My Head.

Agreed. It sounds like he (they) really took some time on the vocals and made sure the performances were the best that could've possibly been done. The shoutiness is there, but he sounds engaged and he hits all the notes. "Let It Shine" is probably one of his most commercial vocals ever. That should've been a smash.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 08:16:59 PM »

He wrote as little of the song in question as he did on Deirdre.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 08:20:50 PM »

I adore this album, but I only have it through itunes and I've never heard the correct version of Melt Away everyone jabbers on about (with highest harmony line in the tag) and I cry about it sometimes.

Alright, so what were BW's contributions to the songwriting? Basic riffs and chord progressions and melodies on most of the songs, or even less than that?

I think of the whole album as Love You Vol. 2. It sure could use another Beach Boy or two or three to handle vocals, and I know it isn't "pure" Brian, but it hits the spot.

Oh, and the production is just as great as the compositions themselves. The big fuzzy bass. The endless tinkling bells. The 6 foot thick Wall of Keyboards. Magical. My cheesiest guiltypleasure
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 08:24:40 PM »

I adore this album, but I only have it through itunes and I've never heard the correct version of Melt Away everyone jabbers on about (with highest harmony line in the tag) and I cry about it sometimes.

I hadn't heard that extra part of Melt Away until I bought the vinyl - it's hardly a difference, but it is noticeable if you're looking out for it.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 08:34:10 PM »

Alright, so what were BW's contributions to the songwriting? Basic riffs and chord progressions and melodies on most of the songs, or even less than that?

I can't speak for the entire album, but Let It Shine was mostly written by Jeff Lynne - if I remember correctly from AGD. And Brian hated the song apparently lol - it's one of my favorites on the album regardless Grin

From what I remember: Brian's contributed a lot - he even went behind Landy's back for the song 'There's So Many' (I think), dumped Landy's lyrics for his own. Most of this is by memory - Carlin's book does a good overview of the songwriting/production of BW88.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx