gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:20:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Worst albums of all time.  (Read 33018 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2014, 07:35:35 AM »

Pink Floyd: Ummagumma (Studio Album)

I love Ummagumma! I still have very fond memories of listening to it stoned as a teenager with friends.

I adore the live record, but I see little of the studio work as actual quality  Tongue

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2014, 07:54:54 AM »

I like Ummagumma too, even the studio stuff - especially "Groovin' with a Pict."
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2014, 02:00:57 PM »

Worst albums of all time?

"Hitler Is Alive and Well (and Living in You)" by The Third World, from 1971.

Man, was that awful.

Worst album:

Hitler Sings Beach Boys Party!

Evil

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2014, 04:30:31 PM »

The odds of anyone here having even heard the worst albums of all time--unless having participated in their creations--are slim. So quickly it's just a thread about albums you don't like. Not the same thing.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2014, 04:31:42 PM »

The odds of anyone here having even heard the worst albums of all time--unless having participated in their creations--are slim. So quickly it's just a thread about albums you don't like. Not the same thing.

What about truly sh*t albums like Summer In Paradise or Metal Machine Music?

Van Halen III
Summer in Paradise
Metal Machine Music
Sometime in New York City
Having Fun with Elvis On Stage

Very bad albums by major bands/artists.

What's wrong with Some Time In New York City? IMHO I've always considered it to be one of the better Lennon solo albums. I ignore and skip over the Yoko songs of course, but the Lennon songs are brilliant, especially Woman Is The n***** Of The World.

Now Rock And Roll I'd consider to be Lennon's worst solo album. Stand By Me aside (Which I consider to be the definitive version of that song), the whole album is awful and for the most part unlistenable. Lennon really butchered the classics...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 04:57:32 PM by Mr. Jarhead » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2014, 04:51:02 PM »

Well first, a lot of people whose opinions I value really love Metal Machine Music. So on that, while I myself don't like it, I'd say be careful: your taste is your taste, but you might be missing something.

But as for something like Summer In Paradise, clearly it isn't anywhere near the worst ever because those musicians are competent. There are people making albums--especially in this day of home recording and self-release online--who can't play music. I don't mean you don't like their songs, I mean they don't know how to play music. Can't make chords or progressions. Can't sing on tune. Have no talent. A bad album by a popular and talented band is nowhere near the worst album of all time. It isn't even in the same league.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2014, 08:26:44 PM »

Well first, a lot of people whose opinions I value really love Metal Machine Music. So on that, while I myself don't like it, I'd say be careful: your taste is your taste, but you might be missing something.

But as for something like Summer In Paradise, clearly it isn't anywhere near the worst ever because those musicians are competent. There are people making albums--especially in this day of home recording and self-release online--who can't play music. I don't mean you don't like their songs, I mean they don't know how to play music. Can't make chords or progressions. Can't sing on tune. Have no talent. A bad album by a popular and talented band is nowhere near the worst album of all time. It isn't even in the same league.

I don't think not being able to "play music" necessarily makes someone untalented.

Summer In Paradise is so obviously creatively bankrupt that it comes off as being "bad" despite its competent performance. It's more interesting to hear an aspiring musician at least trying on the Internet than listening to spent middle aged men go through the motions.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 08:47:39 PM by Gabo » Logged
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2014, 08:50:22 PM »

I think MMM is a good album conceptually, but it is no way an enjoyable listening experience.

Music is both entertainment and art. MMM fails as entertainment, but succeeds as art.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2014, 05:09:40 AM »

I don't think not being able to "play music" necessarily makes someone untalented.

Summer In Paradise is so obviously creatively bankrupt that it comes off as being "bad" despite its competent performance. It's more interesting to hear an aspiring musician at least trying on the Internet than listening to spent middle aged men go through the motions.

Are interesting and uninteresting synonymous with good and bad, though? I'm not sure they are--not entirely, anyway.

As for talent vs technical competence, I've written about this somewhere else, I forget which thread. I partly agree and partly disagree. In short I think technical competence is a valuable tool that is a component of musicianship. It isn't the only tool, but it is extremely helpful.

Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2014, 06:20:02 PM »

What's wrong with Some Time In New York City? IMHO I've always considered it to be one of the better Lennon solo albums. I ignore and skip over the Yoko songs of course, but the Lennon songs are brilliant, especially Woman Is The n***** Of The World.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me STINYC is the point where the politics became more important than the music. Not to mention the fact that "Luck Of The Irish" may be the single most patronizing protest song ever written. I agree that "Woman Is The N***r Of The World" is by a very long way the best thing on it. But what do I know, I prefer Walls & Bridges to Plastic Ono Band.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 06:21:20 PM by Dead Parrot » Logged
Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2014, 03:13:16 AM »

6. Anything by Lady Gaga
3. Anything by Justin Bieber
2. Anything by Skrillex

I don't believe you have heard these albums. If I'm correct, none of those artists have an album titled "Anything"
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2014, 09:58:41 AM »

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me STINYC is the point where the politics became more important than the music. Not to mention the fact that "Luck Of The Irish" may be the single most patronizing protest song ever written. I agree that "Woman Is The N***r Of The World" is by a very long way the best thing on it. But what do I know, I prefer Walls & Bridges to Plastic Ono Band.

This sums it up for me. WALLS & BRIDGES is just a track or two off from being a great John Lennon album. More satisfying if less consistent than POB or IMAGINE.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 05, 2014, 05:00:53 AM »

Squeeze isn't bad at all if you can remove the stigma from the proceedings. The songs range from OK to quite good to nearly great, but the album is consistently pleasant to the ears. Doug has a great voice and is a great player, so in that: a crappy situation is elevated. If he'd only had Sterling and MO on the album, it would have a lot better of a reputation.

I love the Doug era Velvets. His voice/presence was a great foil for Lou's and they complemented each other greatly in the harmonies and his bass playing was always spot on.

The American Flyer album (Produced by George Martin) is also worth tracking down. It's a bit too middle-of-the-road but Doug's great on it.
Completely agree with you re "Squeeze", Erik - it's mighty good! And yes, if Sterling & Maureen & even Lou had been on the album, we wouldn't talk about how bad it is (assuming Doug still be a sole songwriter of all songs & the guys sang back-up vocs & carried instruments). Love the Doug years of Velvets too!

Thanks for the tip, I'll sure check "The American Flyer".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2015, 08:59:07 PM »

Decided to play some forum roulette and randomly select an old thread to bring back from the dead.

Worst album of all time could easily go to Kid Rock, Nickelback, Ke$ha, Five Finger Death Punch, etc.  But I'll stick with worst albums by artists I actually like. 

#1 Worst

Metallica - St Anger - The songs are long and go nowhere.  The production is dreadful.  The whole album sounds like a bootleg.  Worst of all.  You've got one of the great metal guitarists in Kirk Hammett, and there's not one guitar solo anywhere on this overlong piece of dreck. 

Other contenders

Van Halen 3 - I'm an Extreme fan, so I thought this would work.  Wow, was I wrong.  Terrible.  And Eddie tried to sing.  Why?

Queen - Hot Space - One of the best hard rock bands of the 1970s entered the 1980s as an unrecognizable dance band?Huh  Gone were the over the top pomp rock of the 1970s.  Replaced by synths and dance beats.  A couple of Queen like songs save this from worst of all time status, but it's far and away the worst of Queen's career. 

Deep Purple - Bananas - The first Deep Purple album without Jon Lord.  And their worst.   Paint by numbers. 

Motley Crue - Generation Swine - Vince Neil was back.  But instead of the Crue sound, we got an album mired in late 1990s industrial rock.

The Who - It's Hard - I can see why The Who was about to call it quits after this dud.  The best song, Eminence Front, sounds more like a Pete solo song than a Who song. 

Judas Priest - Demolition - The one saving grace about Tim "Ripper" Owens second Priest album was that it was so bad that it likely laid the groundwork for the return of Rob Halford.

Ozzy Osbourne - Black Rain - It was apparent by the lead single I Don't Wanna Stop, that Ozzy was stuck in a world of self parody. 

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2015, 09:21:12 PM »

Wow someone said McCartney II.

Coming Up, Waterfalls, On The Way, Temporary Secretary... Some of Macca's coolest songs!

I don't think McCartney II is that deserving of "worst", but I can definitely get on board why some people wouldn't like it.  It's not his most approachable album.  Songs like "Temporary Secretary"-- either you get where he's going with them and dig it, or you get an unearthly desire to punch everyone on your street corner in the face when you hear it.  ♪♫Temporary...secretary...temporary...secretary...♪♫  It's like being murdered by catchiness. 

But Harrison's Brainwashed considered one of the worst albums?  NO F_CKIN' WAY.  That thing is way better than over half of his solo albums and is easily one of the better solo albums by any of the Beatles.  
I can't stand "Temporary Secretary". Loved the original lo-fi "McCartney" album, but "McCartney 2" is not one of his shining moments. I remember going into a used record store and seeing the last Wings album, "Back to the Egg", in the bins with a lovingly handwritten note taped to the cover saying "This whole album rocks way better than anything on McCartney 2".
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2015, 11:02:40 AM »

Boston - Walk On. 

So much anticipation since it had been 8 years since Third Stage.  At this point in the game, all of the songs sounded the same.  The novelty of a wall of guitars processed through the Rockman had worn off, and they dumped Brad Delp for a new singer.
KDS
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2015, 05:55:34 AM »

Boston - Walk On. 

So much anticipation since it had been 8 years since Third Stage.  At this point in the game, all of the songs sounded the same.  The novelty of a wall of guitars processed through the Rockman had worn off, and they dumped Brad Delp for a new singer.

I loved the first single, I Need Your Love.  But the rest was very lackluster. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2015, 11:56:47 AM »

Has anyone mentioned Self Portrait? You know, the album that prompted Griel Marcus to say "what is this $#it?" Back in 1970, it was supposed to be the worst thing Bob ever did, maybe the worst album ever. Time has softened that view, so much so that we even got "Another Self Portrait" a couple years ago. And the best SP might be made by combining the best tracks from both releases. Maybe even one or two tracks from the 1973 corporate bootleg, "Dylan".
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 13, 2015, 01:30:45 AM »

I really like Self-Portrait, always have, even before the Bootleg re-release. I think it needs to be judged on its own terms, for what it is, without the shadow of his 60s albums. A homespun, unpretentious, humble tribute to the music Bob loved and that shaped him as an artist. The live performances are out of the place but other than that I enjoy pretty much all songs. Copper Kettle is just gorgeous.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2015, 02:28:33 PM »

Wow someone said McCartney II.

Coming Up, Waterfalls, On The Way, Temporary Secretary... Some of Macca's coolest songs!

I don't think McCartney II is that deserving of "worst", but I can definitely get on board why some people wouldn't like it.  It's not his most approachable album.  Songs like "Temporary Secretary"-- either you get where he's going with them and dig it, or you get an unearthly desire to punch everyone on your street corner in the face when you hear it.  ♪♫Temporary...secretary...temporary...secretary...♪♫  It's like being murdered by catchiness. 

But Harrison's Brainwashed considered one of the worst albums?  NO F_CKIN' WAY.  That thing is way better than over half of his solo albums and is easily one of the better solo albums by any of the Beatles.  
I can't stand "Temporary Secretary". Loved the original lo-fi "McCartney" album, but "McCartney 2" is not one of his shining moments. I remember going into a used record store and seeing the last Wings album, "Back to the Egg", in the bins with a lovingly handwritten note taped to the cover saying "This whole album rocks way better than anything on McCartney 2".
Ugh. My sister was really into McCartney and even as when I was a kid McCartney II made me cringe and put pillows over my ears when she played it. McCartney and Band on the Run were good.
KDS
« Reply #145 on: November 23, 2015, 10:49:19 AM »

If we're talking McCartney, I could nominate almost any of his albums in the 2000s.  IMO, if you take all of the studio albums he's released in the 2000s, you might be able to put together a good 8-10 song mix....maybe. 

For one thing, he's got a great touring band, but he tends to play many of the tracks on the records himself. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 23, 2015, 12:01:50 PM »

If we're talking McCartney, I could nominate almost any of his albums in the 2000s.  IMO, if you take all of the studio albums he's released in the 2000s, you might be able to put together a good 8-10 song mix....maybe. 

For one thing, he's got a great touring band, but he tends to play many of the tracks on the records himself. 
It doesn't really matter, though, if the material is not there.
KDS
« Reply #147 on: November 23, 2015, 12:08:56 PM »

It doesn't really matter, though, if the material is not there.

This is true.  But, IMO, there were a few songs on Memory Almost Full that would've benefited from having the band on there. 

Also, I don't think it's a coincidence that Only Mama Knows, IMO far and away the best track on the album, is one of the few that features the band. 
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 23, 2015, 01:57:33 PM »

Chaos & Creation is up there with Ram, Band on the Run, Back to the Egg and McCartney 2. All great albums methinks.
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 24, 2015, 01:48:11 AM »

Love Beach by Emerson, Lake & Palmer got to be a strong candidate.

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx