gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 03:55:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Worst albums of all time.  (Read 33245 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2012, 04:32:23 PM »

Hurley by Weezer

Probably not a "worst of all time," but it's the best I can come up with.
No! Desmond Child wrote for that album. It's better than Raditude.  Sad

I haven't listened to Raditude in years (saving myself the pain), but have you heard that song "My Friends Are All Insects" or something? I think it was a bonus track on Hurley. It is maybe one of the worst songs I've ever heard.

And the worst part: I saw them on the Memories tour, doing Pinkerton. That was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. How can they un-disown Pinkerton and play it live, but still make this Hurley-Ratitude music?  Huh

"My Friends Are All Insects" wasn't written by the band and was recorded for a children's TV show. 'twas included as a bonus track on the deluxe edition.

They never really "disowned" it (especially the rest of the band), Varz was just crushed at the initial poor response it got from most people back in 1996 and spoke ill of it in a few interviews in 2001 and 2002 because of said crushingness. He'd put his all into it, it was an extremely personal record, and having it be so rejected must've been devastating. So devastating that it kinda seemed to f*** with his brain a lot considering he spent much of 97 to early 2000 in solitude trying to figure out how to write "perfect" songs and all (there have been other intensive songwriting periods since), especially 1999. As early as 2005, though, Rivers was saying he was proud of Pinkerton, so there y'go. As for playing the album live, it was simply a matter of realizing fans wanted it and giving it to them.

I like their newer stuff, though. You sometimes have to dig a bit deeper to find the better material (I won't justify them making poor choices for the standard albums, just sayin'), but it's almost always there, and the lesser material is often (not always) worthwhile in one way or another, too. A lot of people draw parallels to Weezer and the Beach Boys, most are pretty goofy, but Jack Rieley's brilliant little "they blew it" speech is probably the biggest parallel I can draw between the two.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:37:37 PM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2012, 04:38:49 PM »

Gah a lot of these albums are nowhere near 'worst of all time', especially not if you like a few of the tracks on an LP.

I suppose 'I am not a fan of this album' for whatever reason is a more fitting description.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2012, 05:55:21 PM »

If I were not a Brian Wilson kinda guy, GIOMH probably would rate as the worst album human beings have made. As I am a fan, I give it a lot of slack for reasons that in the cold light of reality I think are bullshit. And the vocals on SIP are produced better.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SunnyDownSnuff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2012, 06:59:24 PM »

Hurley by Weezer

I haven't listened to Raditude in years (saving myself the pain), but have you heard that song "My Friends Are All Insects" or something? I think it was a bonus track on Hurley. It is maybe one of the worst songs I've ever heard.

And the worst part: I saw them on the Memories tour, doing Pinkerton. That was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. How can they un-disown Pinkerton and play it live, but still make this Hurley-Ratitude music?  Huh

"My Friends Are All Insects" wasn't written by the band and was recorded for a children's TV show. 'twas included as a bonus track on the deluxe edition.

They never really "disowned" it (especially the rest of the band), Varz was just crushed at the initial poor response it got from most people back in 1996 and spoke ill of it in a few interviews in 2001 and 2002 because of said crushingness. He'd put his all into it, it was an extremely personal record, and having it be so rejected must've been devastating. So devastating that it kinda seemed to f*** with his brain a lot considering he spent much of 97 to early 2000 in solitude trying to figure out how to write "perfect" songs and all (there have been other intensive songwriting periods since), especially 1999. As early as 2005, though, Rivers was saying he was proud of Pinkerton, so there y'go. As for playing the album live, it was simply a matter of realizing fans wanted it and giving it to them.

I like their newer stuff, though. You sometimes have to dig a bit deeper to find the better material (I won't justify them making poor choices for the standard albums, just sayin'), but it's almost always there, and the lesser material is often (not always) worthwhile in one way or another, too. A lot of people draw parallels to Weezer and the Beach Boys, most are pretty goofy, but Jack Rieley's brilliant little "they blew it" speech is probably the biggest parallel I can draw between the two.

I didn't know they didn't write that! They just gained a lot of respect back!

You're totally right about the Jack Rieley thing, too. I think the issue is that Rivers knows it. As much as I think that maybe this is the kind of music that he wants to make now, I keep going back to this quote from the liner notes of Alone I (I think) where he says that some drunk guy comes up to him on New Year's Eve and starts singing "Say it ain't so-ooooooooo." He says he wrote in his diary that one thousand "Keep fishin's" does not equal one "Say it ain't so-oooooooooo." Even though he might just be saying that that one line has more power, I think that he really felt that his recent stuff was lightweight and couldn't stack up at all to his earlier songs.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2012, 07:07:07 PM »

Scott Walker- Tilt-  No....just no.

One of the best albums ever.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2012, 07:09:44 PM »

Anything by Morrissey - tuneless, humorless, caterwauling twat, and those are his good points.

Humorless? He is one of the funniest lyricists around, his stuff is full of humor. If you don't dig his voice or personality, that's cool. But he isn't Sting, fer cripes sakes.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2012, 07:31:12 PM »

Scott Walker- Tilt-  No....just no.

One of the best albums ever.

I liked the idea more than the execution. I think that describes how I feel about Scott Walker in general, really.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RBennett123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2012, 08:08:39 PM »

Mardi Gras by Creedence Clearwater Revival.
SunnyDownSnuff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2012, 08:54:31 PM »

Hurley by Weezer

And the worst part: I saw them on the Memories tour, doing Pinkerton. That was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. How can they un-disown Pinkerton and play it live, but still make this Hurley-Ratitude music?  Huh

IMO Hurley is their best and most cohesive album in years, not sure why you are choosing a bonus track to trash the album? Raditude isn't great but has it's moments but for me Make Believe is Weezer's worst album by far, most of the songs sound exactly the same and suck hard.

I really wasn't trying to bash the album by saying that song was bad! I really just wanted to point out that I really disliked that one song particularly, regardless of the fact that it's a bonus track. I could have said the same thing about "Where's My Sex," (especially because that one teased me by thinking it would be like "Tired Of Sex") but I really wasn't trying to point out one song to say that the album was bad. I really just meant that that song is on the album, and I really don't like that song, but, somewhat unrelated, I also don't like the album.

I do remember thinking that one of the songs from that album (I forget which) was probably their best in years. And another one (also don't remember--sorry) I thought had uninteresting music, but a very Pinkerton vocal line, which I loved.

Does that clear anything up?

Smiley
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2012, 10:29:17 PM »

Anything and everything by The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I'm sorta with AGD when it comes to Morrisey. I like the Smiths because they sound like a band but most solo Morrisey just sounds flat and lifeless to me... But maybe I should just give it another listen....

That Donovan album from 1977 with him sitting there in the white suit with that ugly greenish color scheme is pretty bad and pretty much seemed to kill his career. The preceding albums from Open Road, HMS Donovan, Cosmic Wheels, Essence To Essence, to 7-Tease were all pretty great (even if not huge sellers) and presented momentum, but this one just stopped it all dead in it's tracks (even though there is some decent stuff on it. Donovan is basically still pretty damn good even when he's bad) ....
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2012, 10:41:12 PM »

Anything and everything by The Red Hot Chili Peppers

Seriously?!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2012, 11:45:04 PM »

How about...every record ever released on Pickwick? Or are there good ones?' I've listened to them when I come across 'em,  tried to tell myself they were of some value- "I never know when I might need this Mario Lanza Xmas album!" or "a picture of a surfer girl on the cover of surfer girl...thats SO SURFER GIRL!" but always ended up recycling them. Creepy cover art, bad vinyl, wastes of space. Anyone?

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:55:16 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2012, 11:54:32 PM »

and those K-tel compilations from the 70's with way too many songs per side.  Though, I was introduced to Larry Verne's Please Mr. custer on one called "Wacky Westerns"....a wacky classic...it's to my taste, you might say!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:55:32 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2012, 01:08:57 AM »

Seriously?!

Yes, and no, Billy. The Chili Peppers pretty much wrecked high school for me because if you weren't a shirtless, tattooed, rapping, hacky sack playing, dredlocked (or bald) "Chili Pepper" type guy, you had to work extra hard to be even remotely cool. Oh, and worshipping The Beach Boys didn't make it any easier.... So, am I accessing The Chili Pepper's output from a fair and unbiased point of veiw?.... No.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2012, 01:29:42 AM »

Seriously?!

Yes, and no, Billy. The Chili Peppers pretty much wrecked high school for me because if you weren't a shirtless, tattooed, rapping, hacky sack playing, dredlocked (or bald) "Chili Pepper" type guy, you had to work extra hard to be even remotely cool. Oh, and worshipping The Beach Boys didn't make it any easier.... So, am I accessing The Chili Pepper's output from a fair and unbiased point of veiw?.... No.
high school pretty rough for you huh....the beach boys not making it easier and all...DAMN U CHILI  PEPERSS TATTOO SHIRTLESS BASTARDS!!  LOL
halblaineisgood
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2012, 01:57:38 AM »

If we are listing acts ruined by starting high school, I can certainly name a few. Can't we all? "No, there are former big men on  campi round these parts, honored guests, too!"  I can't claim good taste  ,but I certainly can point to this:  fact is,  you could be the biggest Rage against the machine/Dr.Dre/other circa 2000 act fan in the world, and you'd still not be able to talk to most people. So there was no point in liking most of the new sounds, when most of the old sounds were better. the new sounds were too apt to remind you of some unpleasant aspect of going to school.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2012, 04:08:17 AM »

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers have gone from being one of my most beloved bands of all time to one of my most hated. The only albums of theirs I still like are Freaky Styley, Uplift Mofo Part Plan and parts of the S/T debut. Anything from By The Way onwards makes me want to vomit.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2012, 06:03:26 AM »

^Same here! One Hot Minute was my first RHCP record, and it blew my mind. I worked backwards from there (Uplift Mofo Party Plan being my favorite). When Frusciante returned they turned boring. Bad AOR/MOR for the 2000's. I tried to like Californication, but it never convinced me. Never bothered buying By the Way, and Stadium Arcadium was just terribly bland.

Zephyr Song has a nice melody, though, and Hump de Bump has a nice, old-school RHCP groove. Two good songs in almost 20 years. Sad.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2012, 09:17:20 AM »

Recently heard the notorious "last" Velvet Underground album Squeeze for the first time - the one where Velvets manager Steve Sesnick put Doug Yule and Deep Purple's drummer Ian Paice into a studio, recorded a bunch of Yule's songs with no participation from any original Velvet still in the band (just Moe Tucker by that point), and released it as a successor to Loaded. 

It's primarily offensive because it's billed as a Velvets album. Had it been released as a Doug Yule album, it probably would have been quietly forgotten as a middling example of some slightly Grateful Dead/Poco/early James Taylor-influenced music. But a couple of the songs are probably on a par with the lesser (ie Yule-written) tracks on Loaded.

Actually, Yule didn't write any of the songs on LOADED - they're all Lou Reed's.
SunnyDownSnuff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2012, 09:48:09 AM »

How about...every record ever released on Pickwick? Or are there good ones?' I've listened to them when I come across 'em,  tried to tell myself they were of some value- "I never know when I might need this Mario Lanza Xmas album!" or "a picture of a surfer girl on the cover of surfer girl...thats SO SURFER GIRL!" but always ended up recycling them. Creepy cover art, bad vinyl, wastes of space. Anyone?

What about The Ostrich?!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r998weOUiM

Tongue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2012, 10:59:48 AM »

Seriously?!

high school pretty rough for you huh....the beach boys not making it easier and all...DAMN U CHILI  PEPERSS TATTOO SHIRTLESS BASTARDS!!  LOL

Yeah, pretty much  Shocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2012, 11:01:34 AM »

My list was by group, and only IMHO. I couldnt possibly pick the worst lps of all time out of all the bad lps ever made.  And my list was groups that I know.

Let it be just my least fav Beatles lp. Some good cuts but not up to what they had done.

Live Dead?  A toss away even by the band's own admission.  I LOVE THE DEAD LIVE, REALLY LIVE and have many very fine boots.   That particular lp just badly produced and still born., half live and half in the studio, patched together.

Even so, these two lps are light years ahead better than lots of other trash that lesser groups have put out by the thousands.
Sounds more like Anthem Of The Sun, which I do agree is pretty bad in a lot of ways.
Respectfully disagree, to me it's one of the best records that I have (& don't) in my collection, if not to count The BBs. That's It For The Other One is especially great track imo.

All Dead is awesome in my book...... Even Built To Last
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 11:04:01 AM by Erik H » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2012, 11:02:29 AM »

Tongue
shoulda been a Dance sensation that swept the nation!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2012, 11:08:28 AM »

Tongue
shoulda been a Dance sensation that swept the nation!

There's still time! Maybe Lou can turn it into a Tai Chi work-out!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2012, 11:09:38 AM »

I just realized Sebadoh based their song "Flame" on this track!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=expcmtqTyC4
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx