gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 04:34:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Worst albums of all time.  (Read 33315 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2012, 03:40:13 PM »

Let It Be? Ah, it's not bad at all! Explain yourself, donald!  Grin

Maybe when comparing between other Beatles albums, you'd find that one lower on the list. It's the bloody Beatles, though - their worst albums are miles better than most groups' best....

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2012, 05:05:16 PM »

Let It Be? Ah, it's not bad at all! Explain yourself, donald!  Grin

Maybe when comparing between other Beatles albums, you'd find that one lower on the list. It's the bloody Beatles, though - their worst albums are miles better than most groups' best....

I think I actually really like Let It Be - a lot of the tracks are classic in my book (Across The Universe, I Got A Feeling, Get Back, I Me Mine, Long & Winding Road, Dig A Pony.... I like it!) apart from the title track, which I hate with vehement passion. But I just don't like the idea and the subsequent fallout, the image of Paul hectoring them to be loose and natural and don't play it like that weighs on me.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2012, 05:26:29 PM »

There is a very cohesive sound to that album - very rough around the edges but that's exactly what they were going for with the project. I probably like Two Of Us the best. Love those harmonies.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2012, 06:14:26 PM »

Listening to that right now. Love that song. Need to find me some boots of them hanging out in the studio, besides the feeling that they want to kill each other the sessions have cool stuff like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXM3hVN32co

Why aren't we discussing this in my Beatles thread?!  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2012, 09:27:01 AM »

Mccarney 2 is an amazing album, way ahead of its time. The new deluxe version reinforces that view. Its the sound of a talented musician with enough money to have his own studio and high quality drugs. Remind you of anyone? Those synth tracks are incredible. Kind of a distant cousin of love you, it pays no heed to any trends and just shows you were he was atvat the time, love it!
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2012, 12:09:02 PM »

What's wrong with Live Dead, donald?

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2012, 05:04:55 PM »

My list was by group, and only IMHO. I couldnt possibly pick the worst lps of all time out of all the bad lps ever made.  And my list was groups that I know.

Let it be just my least fav Beatles lp. Some good cuts but not up to what they had done.

Live Dead?  A toss away even by the band's own admission.  I LOVE THE DEAD LIVE, REALLY LIVE and have many very fine boots.   That particular lp just badly produced and still born., half live and half in the studio, patched together.

Even so, these two lps are light years ahead better than lots of other trash that lesser groups have put out by the thousands.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2012, 07:55:22 PM »

Live Dead is the best Dead album. It regularly makes lists of the greatest albums of all time. Explosive, mindmelting record.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2012, 09:09:25 PM »

Live Dead is the best Dead album. It regularly makes lists of the greatest albums of all time. Explosive, mindmelting record.

I have to agree with this. Live Dead was my initiation to Grateful Dead. At first (around ten minutes into Dark Star) I was like "what is sh*t", but by harmony vocal part of St. Stephen I started to get the beauty in their music. Then came Eleven, and my mind exploded. Then Pigpen does his thing (and he does it well), and finally, after seemingly endless Feedback, the innocent and beautiful And We Bid You Goodnight. A wonderful record, and no other GD album has managed to win me over quite so completely. No offense to anyone, but liking Grateful Dead and not liking Live/Dead is like liking Pet Sounds but not liking Pet Sounds, if that makes sense... It captures what's so great about the band. But, to each his own taste, of course!

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2012, 12:09:32 PM »

if you guys like Live/Dead so much, check out The Complete Fillmore West 1969. It's 11 discs of the same.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2012, 01:03:47 PM »

Don't mind if I do! I listened Live/Dead three times today . I believe I really, really, really like that album. There's something mesmerising about a bunch of beardos extending songs to the extreme. Does anybody here have any loving for The Allmans?

SunnyDownSnuff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2012, 09:05:25 PM »

Hurley by Weezer

Probably not a "worst of all time," but it's the best I can come up with.
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2012, 10:47:03 PM »

My vote goes to Keith Moon's solo album Two Sides of the Moon

http://youtu.be/f29jcB1bZLI
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2012, 12:02:28 PM »

Hurley by Weezer

No! Desmond Child wrote for that album. It's better than Raditude.  Sad

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2012, 12:49:10 PM »

My vote goes to Keith Moon's solo album Two Sides of the Moon

http://youtu.be/f29jcB1bZLI
You've not heard Ringo's Bad Boy album then?
SunnyDownSnuff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2012, 07:28:17 PM »

Hurley by Weezer

No! Desmond Child wrote for that album. It's better than Raditude.  Sad

I haven't listened to Raditude in years (saving myself the pain), but have you heard that song "My Friends Are All Insects" or something? I think it was a bonus track on Hurley. It is maybe one of the worst songs I've ever heard.

And the worst part: I saw them on the Memories tour, doing Pinkerton. That was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. How can they un-disown Pinkerton and play it live, but still make this Hurley-Ratitude music?  Huh
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 07:31:29 PM by SunnyDownSnuff » Logged
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2012, 12:50:56 AM »

My list was by group, and only IMHO. I couldnt possibly pick the worst lps of all time out of all the bad lps ever made.  And my list was groups that I know.

Let it be just my least fav Beatles lp. Some good cuts but not up to what they had done.

Live Dead?  A toss away even by the band's own admission.  I LOVE THE DEAD LIVE, REALLY LIVE and have many very fine boots.   That particular lp just badly produced and still born., half live and half in the studio, patched together.

Even so, these two lps are light years ahead better than lots of other trash that lesser groups have put out by the thousands.
Sounds more like Anthem Of The Sun, which I do agree is pretty bad in a lot of ways.

A discipline daddy.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2012, 08:30:32 AM »

Anthem is their second best album.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2012, 11:33:43 AM »

Anything by Morrissey - tuneless, humorless, caterwauling twat, and those are his good points.

Victim Of Love - Elton John. You think SIP is bad ?  Actually...

Summer In Paradise - yeah, it is that bad.

Full Circle - 2nd post-Jim Doors album. It shows.

GIOMH - 'nuff said.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2012, 11:46:38 AM »

Recently heard the notorious "last" Velvet Underground album Squeeze for the first time - the one where Velvets manager Steve Sesnick put Doug Yule and Deep Purple's drummer Ian Paice into a studio, recorded a bunch of Yule's songs with no participation from any original Velvet still in the band (just Moe Tucker by that point), and released it as a successor to Loaded. 

It's primarily offensive because it's billed as a Velvets album. Had it been released as a Doug Yule album, it probably would have been quietly forgotten as a middling example of some slightly Grateful Dead/Poco/early James Taylor-influenced music. But a couple of the songs are probably on a par with the lesser (ie Yule-written) tracks on Loaded.
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2012, 12:03:51 PM »

Anything by Morrissey - tuneless, humorless, caterwauling twat, and those are his good points.

Victim Of Love - Elton John. You think SIP is bad ?  Actually...

Summer In Paradise - yeah, it is that bad.

Full Circle - 2nd post-Jim Doors album. It shows.

GIOMH - 'nuff said.

I Gotta disagree with Full Circle, I actually enjoy it, it's not that bad.
Victim of Love has only like 1 good song, other than that, it's just terrible.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2012, 01:03:28 PM »

Other Voices and Full Circle are much better than their reputation has it. Sure , Manzarek ain't no Morrison when it comes to singing, and even less when it comes to lyrics, but the music very solid, ovcasionally even surpassing their Morrison-era achievements. Get Up and Dance is a lost party-anthem classic, and Peking King and New York Queen is a worthy heir to LA Woman in that same fast rock epic vein.

What Andrew G. Doe said about Morrissey is very much true. I've never been that (at all) into The Smiths, either. But I'd like to take this opportunity to say that The Stone Roses' Second Coming is a lost classic and unjustly maligned.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2012, 01:38:51 PM »

Here's my list. Keep in mind that I sometimes download  albums by artists I don't like just to say I've heard an album all the way through, or for review purposes (and then immediately delete it afterwards). Some of these are not 'bad' albums in comparison to other people's works, just for the artist involved.  I'm going to avoid putting anything BB/BW related, to keep it interesting.

Here we go..

Stone Temple Pilots- self titled-  I loved their first five albums. This is my favorite non-BB group. I'm was very excited when they reformed in 2008 and was looking forward to this cd. Boy, was I disappointed. Weiland's vocals sound half-assed, the songwriting sucks, and the mix is absolutely horrible. There are only a couple of songs that rank among their better work, and one song ('Dare if You Dare') happens to have the worst chorus of any song I've ever heard.

New Kids on the Block- Self titled debut-  Yeah, I've heard this. No, it's not as bad as you would think...it's a whole lot worse. Here's a little known secret...Jordan Knight could actually sing pretty well when he was in his 20s. Sadly, he was like 14 here. The songs are poorly written, and are so lightweight (even compared to the rest of their releases) as to  make the Bay City Rollers sound like Throbbing Gristle.

Rod Stewart- If We Fall in Love Tonight- This was the beginning of Rod's permanent slide into complacency. It is similar to the BB 'Still Cruisin' as it is a mix of new recordings and archival recordings. Those who bitched about Rod's post-Mercury work need to eat sh*t and die, as until this album his vocals were still excellent even when the songs were lightweight. Here, it sounds like he aged 10 years since his previous album...which was only done a year earlier! The new recordings are either covers or songs written by professional songwriters, and generally all suck hard.

Jeff Beck- Flash- A guitar God known for his instrumental work makes an 80s pop album with a weak vocalist...and then sings a couple of songs himself.

Scott Walker- Tilt-  No....just no.

Any Mariah Carey release of the past 10 years.  WTF happened with her voice?! Too much crack, probably.

Depeche Mode- Songs of Faith and Devotion Live-  this is a note-for-note live recreation of their previous album...released the SAME YEAR. The only differences from the studio version are the crowd noise and the fact that Dave Gahan's voice sounds like baked ass.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 01:41:11 PM by The Amazing World of Billy Castillo » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Paulos
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2012, 03:10:39 PM »

Hurley by Weezer

No! Desmond Child wrote for that album. It's better than Raditude.  Sad

I haven't listened to Raditude in years (saving myself the pain), but have you heard that song "My Friends Are All Insects" or something? I think it was a bonus track on Hurley. It is maybe one of the worst songs I've ever heard.

And the worst part: I saw them on the Memories tour, doing Pinkerton. That was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. How can they un-disown Pinkerton and play it live, but still make this Hurley-Ratitude music?  Huh

IMO Hurley is their best and most cohesive album in years, not sure why you are choosing a bonus track to trash the album? Raditude isn't great but has it's moments but for me Make Believe is Weezer's worst album by far, most of the songs sound exactly the same and suck hard.

Another terrible album up for consideration - Warning by Green Day, boring, lifeless and pointless.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2012, 03:24:18 PM »

God, yes, Warning is the low point of their career. It's amazing they managed to get their act together and become bigger than ever after that.

But the record before that (Nimrod) is Green Day's best album. Lost punk-pop masterpiece.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx