gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:04:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Worst albums of all time.  (Read 33023 times)
halblaineisgood
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 10:04:09 PM »

10 discs that have electronically re-channeled to simulate stereo. 

MBE
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2012, 10:12:45 PM »

Mike, maybe you should try the Yoko 'remix' album that came out a few years ago, called Yes I'm A Witch? She writes surprisingly beautiful songs underneath the wavering vocal style.
Some of her melodies are fine. John rocked on those early albums of hers. It's just to my ears she has an ugly voice that drives me crazy. I used to cry as a kid if she came on. Seriously I had nightmares about it. Now if they put out her first three solo albums as instrumentals I might actually enjoy them. I can't say I've ever heard a worse singer, but I have heard worse music.
MBE
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2012, 10:20:19 PM »

Hey, even the Monkees eventually played on their own records.

Born Again by Black Sabbath is definitely a contender for worst album of all time. It sure LOOKED good on paper - Ian Gillan plus the original instrumental trio from the old days. But combined with a sh*tty attempt to "out-heavy" everyone else, instead of the heaviest album ever, they ended up with the sludgiest. Hardcore Sabbath fans defend this one to the death and I still don't know why.

Any number of Elvis Presley's 1960s soundtrack albums are easy shoe-ins. In fact, if you listen to the 1963-67 soundtrack albums in succession and then listen to How Great Thou Art, the sheer jump in quality is staggering.

Keepin' the Summer Alive would fit the bill.
Interesting choices. The Elvis albums you mentioned are really bad for an artist of his talent, but teen idols like Fabian or Bobby Rydell couldn't hold a candle to even those. Also I don't like KTSA all that much, but I think the trio of albums the Beach Boys did from 1985-1992 are considerably worse. Still your choices aren't all that off.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2012, 11:41:34 PM »

Does anybody own Having Fun With Elvis On Stage?

It's a "talking only" album ...
MBE
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 12:03:59 AM »

Does anybody own Having Fun With Elvis On Stage?

It's a "talking only" album ...
I have it, actually Paradise Hawiian Style is a tougher listen. Not good though.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 09:56:32 AM »

Yes - Graham was the leader of The Hollies (even though Allan Clarke was the lead singer...). It was his idea to progress with the times, and they all went along with him. Allan and Graham were really close friends, but Graham was getting a little out-of-sight. Reportedly, Allan got pissed at Graham because Graham sang all the harmonies by himself on some of his own songs on that album, not utilising the other guys in the band.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2012, 01:34:04 AM »

Pretty obvious, but Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water could be a viable contender worst ever.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2012, 07:05:24 PM »

The Millennium's Begin is one of the greatest albums ever released, I think someone misunderstood the thread title.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2012, 04:39:43 PM »

How would you know? I mean, if you hear a single song in a style of music you hate that you find atrocious even for its (hated) genre, are you saying you'd really listen to it in its entirety? And then, reasonable person you are, listen again to make sure you're not making a snap decision?

I'd guess the answer has to be "I have no idea" unless you retitle the thread "Worst Album You Might Have Liked Based on Genre or Band," which is admittedly a shitty title.

Also, my least favorite album that I own / have heard is probably ... uhhhh ... E's Broken Toy Shop. That is really, really terrible.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MBE
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2012, 10:58:40 PM »

It's interesting Luther what you brought up. There are certain styles of music I am never going to like. I've tried and just disliked everything I heard. For example I cannot take Rap (outside of Blondie's decent "Rapture") , Hip Hop, Electronica, post seventies club music, and post early eighties pop. I'm not big on anything past the early eighties at all honestly though I suppose three are about three to four dozen albums I treasure that have been recorded since then.

Learning what kind of sounds I liked and didn't at a young age allowed me to explore the vintage country, folk, gospel, rock and roll, and blues, I love so much. My tastes have expanded a lot since I am a kid, but 99 times out of 100 somebody or something "new" that I get into was recorded from 1946 (Hank Williams' first recordings) to 1981 or so. This especially goes for the early fifties to  the early seventies which just has a certain feel to it that I can't get enough of. I'm hearing new things all the time, but they tend to be vintage.

I'm not completely shut off though. I think I can tell someone with real talent as opposed to someone who has been manufactured from the last thirty years. That doesn't mean I will buy anyone's work, even if they are talented, if I personally don't like the sound. I will buy any record I like though, and such retro sounds like The Coral's "In My Lonely Room" do appeal to me. I wouldn't say I love the band out and out, but I do love that song.  By the way I am only 36 but I just happen to mostly like music from before my time. I guess a lot of people who love The Beach Boys can relate.
Paulos
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »

Going Public.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2012, 12:39:59 PM »

Going Public.
what's the deal with Bruce using that photo from the sunflower gatefold?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2012, 05:21:33 PM »

Going Public.
was there no budget for a new photo?

EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2012, 05:29:03 PM »

Going Public.
was there no budget for a new photo?

Besides that, he just re-recorded songs he had already sung in the past, And did his own version of I Write the Songs, Not really that great of an album, But hey What about Hard to Swallow by Vanilla Ice? I Forgot to mention that.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2012, 09:59:28 AM »

I actually like Going Public.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2012, 02:43:12 PM »

Wow someone said McCartney II.

Coming Up, Waterfalls, On The Way, Temporary Secretary... Some of Macca's coolest songs!

I don't think McCartney II is that deserving of "worst", but I can definitely get on board why some people wouldn't like it.  It's not his most approachable album.  Songs like "Temporary Secretary"-- either you get where he's going with them and dig it, or you get an unearthly desire to punch everyone on your street corner in the face when you hear it.  ♪♫Temporary...secretary...temporary...secretary...♪♫  It's like being murdered by catchiness. 

But Harrison's Brainwashed considered one of the worst albums?  NO F_CKIN' WAY.  That thing is way better than over half of his solo albums and is easily one of the better solo albums by any of the Beatles.  
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 02:45:11 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2012, 07:59:25 AM »

Brainwashed is a really great record, lovingly completed after GH's death by his loved ones.  I love that record.  I agree, it's in the upper echelon of GH solo albums.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Paulos
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2012, 10:53:02 AM »

I actually like Going Public.

Each to their own. I think it's utterly terrible and has no redeeming value whatsoever, except for maybe slicing ham...
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2012, 01:36:08 PM »

I shall fight the man who said McCartney II.

And I shall join you!!

Cool Guy

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2012, 05:18:22 AM »

I finally got the time (and will) to play McCartney II after a long time. Some things I do like better than I used to, and I may have exaggerated a bit in calling it one of the worst albums I own. But still I'm not a fan. I don't like McCartney I very much either. First of all, I'm aware that this is an experimental album that Paul didn't even want to release to begin with, and I've always loved when an artist tries new things, but this is simply not my thing.

'Temporary Secretary' is just plain annoying and not just because of the synth loop, Paul's voice also sounds extremely silly. 'Nobody Knows' has that stupid percussion effect in the background and is really nothing special. 'Front Parlour' is just boring and repetitive and really not my kind of music. 'Summer Day's Song' is decent enough, but the instrumental break almost made me fall asleep. 'Frozen Jap' is a bit more interesting than the other instrumental, but still not something I'd listen to. 'Bogey Music' is my least favourite song here and the reason is obvious : the echo in Paul's voice is just too much and makes it almost impossible to listen. Not that it would've been something special otherwise. 'Darkroom' is terrible as well. What are those, alien voices? 'One Of These Days' is not bad, but how and why does Paul manage to sound so stupid at 0:30?

The few songs I like are : 'Waterfalls', nice ballad that kind of drags on for a bit too long though, 'Coming Up', whose melody is pretty good actually, but I definitely prefer the live version and 'On The Way' because of its lead guitar (though not to keen of the vocals).

In conclusion, besides the fact that I don't like the 80's stamps, I don't think the album has much to offer, song-writing wise. It was also a huge disappointment, considering the fact that 'Back to the Egg' is one my favourite McCartney efforts.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:19:37 AM by Sail On, Brian » Logged
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2012, 08:42:18 AM »

...Also, my least favorite album that I own / have heard is probably ... uhhhh ... E's Broken Toy Shop. That is really, really terrible.
Wow, "really, really terrible"? Do you like any of the albums he's released as EELS? BROKEN TOY SHOP suffers from a production/arrangement style designed to sound Top 40 and some overreaching songwriting, but there are still a handful of decent songs on there. "Manchester Girl", at least, is quite affecting. I would agree it's E's weakest album but it's not a spectacular drop in quality from everything else...

...and the only way to really determine the "worst albums of all time" is to compare those albums to other works by the same artists. For me, Queen's HOT SPACE is the pits, a spectacular drop from THE GAME which was already a weak follow-up to the almost uniformly-strong 70s material.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2012, 02:59:30 AM »

"Temporary Secretary" and "Comin' Up" are like the two best things Paul ever wrote.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2012, 03:01:33 AM »

totally agreed, runners. can't believe everyone's dissing Temporary Secretary.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2012, 02:08:05 PM »

by artist and simply imho

Beach Boys; SIP
Jefferson Airplane; Long John Silver
Grateful Dead "Live Dead"
Beatles: Let It Be
Stones :emotional rescue
Rap Music: The Rappers
Fleetwood Mac ;Penguin
Jorma Kaukonen/Hot Tuna ;barbeque king
Jefferson Starship; everything after red octupus
Pink Floyd ;division bell

hmm..seems like a lot of these were near the end of an arc if not end of a career.....

Really though, I can's say what is the worst lp because many lp's that seemed really bad never got an honest second listen

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2012, 02:13:54 PM »

Let It Be? Ah, it's not bad at all! Explain yourself, donald!  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx